• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AP-X NSX turbo system (angus turbo kit)

Quick question. Whats the safe max output for this kit?

It is generally accepted that the 400hp mark is the "magic number" but lately poeple have shown that with careful tuning power levels of up to just shy of 500hp can be done (this obviously carries a much greater risk factor).

It really depends on your setup but I would still recommend:

- 400whp without methanol

- 425 - 475whp with methanol (keep in mind 3.2 cars use metal headgaskets from factory)

These are only guidelines and should NOT be used as the final word as every car is slightly different.

Angus, just saw your numbers above....question for you.

Those numbers are for the air/air intercooler setup, right? . Can you post some PSI figures for those numbers? At what point does it get heat soaked?

Last edited:
Angus, just saw your numbers above....question for you.

Those numbers are for the air/air intercooler setup, right? . Can you post some PSI figures for those numbers? At what point does it get heat soaked?

The air to air setup is currently the only one I offer, the heat soak has not been an issue so far to anyone but those running on a dyno in hot ambient temps wthout a fan blowing on the intercooler, under real world driving the intercooler is actually quite effective and I have yet to run into heat soak even in the hottest summer temps.

The typical average output (with meth) is as follows:

- 5 psi - 350 whp

- 6 psi - 385 whp

- 7 psi - 425 whp

- 8 psi - 450 whp

- 9 psi - 475 whp

- 11 psi - 520 whp

- 16 psi - 570 whp

- 20 psi - 615 whp

The last three are on a built 3.0 motor.

Without meth you are looking at about 20-30 hp less.

I have complete kit going at a big discount!

Please PM me for info.

The air to air setup is currently the only one I offer, the heat soak has not been an issue so far to anyone but those running on a dyno in hot ambient temps wthout a fan blowing on the intercooler, under real world driving the intercooler is actually quite effective and I have yet to run into heat soak even in the hottest summer temps.

The typical average output (with meth) is as follows:

- 5 psi - 350 whp

- 6 psi - 385 whp

- 7 psi - 425 whp

- 8 psi - 450 whp

- 9 psi - 475 whp

- 11 psi - 520 whp

- 16 psi - 570 whp

- 20 psi - 615 whp

The last three are on a built 3.0 motor.

Without meth you are looking at about 20-30 hp less.

what are ur numbers with just 91 octane? 11.5~ A/F ratios

I guess I don't understand the 91 octane question. Super unleaded in Florida
is 92 or 93 octane. 11.5 afr seems the norm at WOT. I think you would never want to see the afr gauge go more than 12.00 at max boost if you want your motor to last. I usually see 10.5 to 11.5. Afr's do fluctuate due to temp and many other factors.

At 7.4lbs boost with no meth I made RWHP about 405 or so. Have had my Angus kit, self installed for about 4 months. No issues with the kit at all.

Thanks Brian for chiming in , I guess there are certain areas that only 91 is available (i.e. cali) so it could be relevant for them. And yes, I would never want to see AFR's any leaner than mid to high 11's under boost (except for certain "special" circumstances).

Last edited:
I know you picked components for minimal lag, linear power curve...but does that apply best around 400 whp?

Keeping everything else constant kit-wise, does the lag tend to increase and/or the power curve shift towards the higher rpms as you turn the boost up for 500+ whp?

This is probably a more generic question for turbo setups in general.

I guess I don't understand the 91 octane question. Super unleaded in Florida
is 92 or 93 octane. 11.5 afr seems the norm at WOT. I think you would never want to see the afr gauge go more than 12.00 at max boost if you want your motor to last. I usually see 10.5 to 11.5. Afr's do fluctuate due to temp and many other factors.

At 7.4lbs boost with no meth I made RWHP about 405 or so. Have had my Angus kit, self installed for about 4 months. No issues with the kit at all.

As Angus stated in California we've used to see 108 octane at under $1/gal when I was in high school.

What would be max boost in your eyes?

I know you picked components for minimal lag, linear power curve...but does that apply best around 400 whp?

Keeping everything else constant kit-wise, does the lag tend to increase and/or the power curve shift towards the higher rpms as you turn the boost up for 500+ whp?

This is probably a more generic question for turbo setups in general.

If you look at the dyno's of various HP ranges with this kit, the curve stays more or less consistent besides the higher boost giving more power at the top end.

If anything, I'd say that in general, when you turn up the boost on a car, it'll tend to give better low end as well since the wastegate is not opening up to bleed off pressure due to a low PSI spring. This is why a lot of low boost cars can still improve the spooling by adding a boost controller that will keep the wastegate shut until the last moment and then open it at once rather than having it slowly open as the turbo is spooling to prevent overboost.

As Angus stated in California we've used to see 108 octane at under $1/gal when I was in high school.

What would be max boost in your eyes?

If you were not going to run meth and wanted to run 91 octane then I would keep it to 9-10 psi on a stock motor - and that is with any type of forced induction on an NSX.

At higher boost/stress levels you will find that the linear boost curve of my kit (the turbo really) will be easier on the motor (and whole driveline) as opposed to the huge spike in torque provided by other means of forced induction which can be fun to drive, but make it more prone to detonation and harder to tune especially with 91 octane.

Wil,

Can you clarify Batmans question.

I run your kit with about 7.4 lbs boost. AFR's in the 10.5 to 11.8 range with petal to the metal.

If I ran 110 octane race fuel at the drag strip ($12.00/gallon), could I safely and temporarily turn my boost up to 9-10 lbs without changing anything else?

I'd like to see what 475hp or so feels like. :)

Everyone always talks about 91 octane, but I've never seen that before. We have 87, 89 and 93 around here - and I always run 93.

Wil,

Can you clarify Batmans question.

I run your kit with about 7.4 lbs boost. AFR's in the 10.5 to 11.8 range with petal to the metal.

If I ran 110 octane race fuel at the drag strip ($12.00/gallon), could I safely and temporarily turn my boost up to 9-10 lbs without changing anything else?

I'd like to see what 475hp or so feels like. :)

475rwhp will feel like a slipping clutch unless you upgraded it. lol.

I'd be surprised if you could pull if off with the 440cc injectors that come with the kit if you don't have Meth injection to help out. Do you have a Walbro installed? I was running out of fuel on the stock pump at 413 rwhp (12.4 AFR) and with the Walbro installed I'm maxed out on the injectors and making 427rwhp at 11.2 AFR without meth injection.

With Meth or bigger injectors there's no reason you couldn't do just what you're asking with a tune on the dyno first to be safe at that level.

HIJACKER:
91 octane is the highest octane they sell on the west coast.

Last edited:
Back