Anyone Own an NSX & a Supra TT: Need Advice!

Anyone Own an NSX & a Supra TT: Need Advice!

I own an MKIV Supra TT and couldn't be happier with the car. My wife and I want to get another car and have considered getting a second Supra TT, but are also considering an NSX.

I'd really like to hear from anybody that owns both, or has owned both--as far as how the two compare (see below). I'd also like some general advice on best year and price I should expect to pay. I'm thinking the 1997 might be the best from the bit of research I've done so far. Not sure what I should pay, but have seen them priced between 45 and 55K.

As far as the comparison goes, I'm looking for the gammet of things like:
comfort, maintenance, handling, and general pluses and minuses between the two.

I'm expecting to hear that the major differences are handling and reliability for the NSX, along with a more exotic look. As far as power and potential power, these cars seem fairly limited.

Thanks in advance for any input on this!!

------------------
1993 TT Black/Black, 6-Spd, 39K Mi, BPU+FMIC

There is at least one active member on the forums that owns both. I believe his handle is NSXBadBoy and he also owns a Viper in addition to the NSX/Supra. He has written posts comparing the NSX and Supra in the past, so perhaps searching by username will allow to find his posts without much trouble.

In addition, there are numerous owners on this board who have sold their Supras for NSXs.

There are 10 topics in this General Discussion forum with the word "Supra" in the subject. Try searching them.

There are also comparisons in the section of the NSX FAQ here.

------------------

Remember your friend, the

search.gif

Originally posted by NW93TT:
I'm thinking the 1997 might be the best from the bit of research I've done so far. Not sure what I should pay, but have seen them priced between 45 and 55K.

There are a lot with asking prices in the low fifties. It's almost impossible to find an asking price of $45K, without a salvage title or an automatic transmission. For example, right now on Autotrader there are 16; one is asking $46K and all the others are $49K or higher. Of course, these are asking prices, and you can expect to be able to negotiate for a few thousand less, so you may indeed be able to buy one for upper forties. Condition and mileage often (but not always) account for the variation in prices, so keep that in mind.

There is one very high mileage '97 for sale; see this topic.

Posting for David Allen:

------------------------------------------

I had a '93 MKIV TT Supra when I had my '92 (my first) NSX.

IMO, next to the NSX, the Supra is one of the finest sports car out there. I LOVE the cockpit of the Supra (angled to the driver), and it took some adjustment to feel comfortable in the NSX. The Supra is VERY reliable and fun to drive, and the plus that it has over the NSX is that it can be modified for ~15K to ~750RWHP.

If you want the 'better' of the two cars overall I'd say the NSX for daily driving, handling, etc. (the NSX also has less road noise than the Supra). I also think the NSX is much more exotic than the Supra, but I will say, Supras seem to be just as rare as an NSX (I've actually seen fewer MKIV's than NSXs lately).

If I could have both, I would. Also, it seems that the Supra body style irritates people on the road more - not sure why - guess because of the way it looks - but every road rage incident I've had was in my Supra (oh the stories), and never had one in my NSX (same driving).

I'd say keep both, modify the hell out of the Supra, and keep the NSX for when you're 'in the mood'.

Regardless, enjoy!

---
David Allen, CEO & President
Pharaoh Productions, L.L.C. http://www.pharaoh-productions.com
Creators of DOMINION and UNIVERSE!

Originally posted by Sig:
There is at least one active member on the forums that owns both. I believe his handle is NSXBadBoy and he also owns a Viper in addition to the NSX/Supra. He has written posts comparing the NSX and Supra in the past, so perhaps searching by username will allow to find his posts without much trouble.

In addition, there are numerous owners on this board who have sold their Supras for NSXs.

JZ also owns both, I believe.

First of all I would never buy two car the same or own two cars that are alike at the same time. I have owned a 95 supra tt and I though it was a wonderful car. Mine was stock so it was very close to the performance of a NSX. The supra can be modified very easly to product a extra 100 hp as the NSX it take many dollars to achive the same thing. I think that you should purchase a NSX as it drives differently. By the way I sold my supra with 40,000 miles for $28,000 about three months ago and purchased a NSX. It is getting hard to find unmodified and low mileage tt now a days

Hey folks,
Thanks for the responses, I have found them very helpful. The only thing I'm concerned about is the HP issue--My wife and I are both HP Junkies. There is no rush like that of the acceleration of twin turbos! My 1993 TT is running right at 500HP on a relatively stock setup. I realize the NSX won't pack the punch, but I'm hoping the handling and quality race heritage that the car is built on will win me over.

The other factor is the depreciation. Supra's are appreciating if you keep them low miles in perfect condtion. We won't put 2000K Miles per year on either one, but I like knowing that if and when the time comes to sell, that the Supra's are appeciating. I've seen several sell recently for over the original sticker price!

I guess the next step for us will be to drive an NSX. Anybody around the greater Seattle area that want's to swap rides?

I'm hoping if I hold out I can find a nice 1997 NSX-T for $43K to $45K.

Thanks again everbody!

------------------
1993 TT Black/Black, 6-Spd,BPU+ FMIC, 445 RWHP

As far as power and potential power, these cars seem fairly limited.

Only as limited as your checkbook....
wink.gif
There are a few 500+ HP turbo NSXs stalking around out there, and there are about to be several more in that class with superchargers. It just involves a lot more work and money than getting the same power from a Supra.

Seeing as how you're up there in Seattle, WA, I highly suggest you talk to Chris Wilson over at Science of Speed and ask him to show you the car and give you a test ride. If you're interested in NSX', he'll make you a believer I'm sure. =)

If I'm not mistaken, Chris is also a former Supra TT owner and can provide you his perspective on that car as well.

Chris's website is here (in case you couldn't figure out the URL
wink.gif
).

I own an MKIV Supra TT and couldn't be happier with the car. My wife and I want to get another car and have considered getting a second Supra TT, but are also considering an NSX.

The Supra's gearing is better than the NSX while the NSX shifts alot better than Supra. I had BPU Supra TT in 1996 and sold it in 2000 for a NSX.

The look of the NSX makes Supra look bad when they are next to each other (supra is tall compare to the nsx). Once the NSX is lowered with rims, UNBELIEVABLE. If you are a person that likes handling, get the NSX. If you like straight line power, Supra TT. My opinion is NSX is alot better than Supra based on advantages in looks, handling, seating position, driving enjoyment. I would never buy a Supra again, but I would get a NSX again. Once you get used to the NSX driving position, going back into a Supra feels ridiculous with the long hood. The Supra feels like a normal car, not a sports car.

There should be alot more people going from Supra TT to NSX than NSX to Supra TT. My best friend went from 97 Supra TT to NSXs and never missed the Supra at all. He sold the NSX and had to buy another in 3 months since he missed it so much. But the guy is into handling cars not straight line power.

On paper, the NSX performance #s do not look good compare to Z06 or Supra TT's acceleration. After having had a NSX, you would know why the NSX is more fun car and why magazines and guys like Mario Andretti says the NSX is more fun to drive than Corvette and Vipers by a large margin. Got to own one to see the differences.

Originally posted by Khuang:
On paper, the NSX performance #s do not look good compare to Z06 or Supra TT's acceleration.

The stock NSX (even the early five-speeds) actually accelerate faster than the Supra TT, stock vs stock, due mostly to the Supra's huge weight disadvantage of 500 pounds
eek.gif
(3500 pounds vs 3000 for the NSX). The acceleration advantage of the Supra only arises with modified cars (and the Supra is easier and less expensive to modify for greater power than the NSX).

The NSX is an excellent choice for a second sports car.

However, if you're looking for a two seater, rear wheel drive, lightweight, mid-engined sports car that looks great, can easily generate big horsepower (thanks to a factory turbo motor), and you like Toyota, there is another car that also fits the bill.

-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

www.boostedgroup.com

Get the NSX.You wont be dissappointed.Im on my second because I missed the first one so much.Ive kept my Supra for obvious reasons (read:single Turbo) but if I could only keep one,Id keep the NSX.

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T BBSC Spa Yellow
93 Supra TT T-61
97 Viper GTS w/Corsa,K/N

Make no mistake about this, the stock TT Supra can't hang with the stock NSX in the straight line, this is speaking from experiences of having own both vehicle, the NSX's power is smooth, while with the TT, you got wait for the turbo to kicked in. In my test, the NSX had alway had the Supra by about 2 or 3 car length repeated with different driver, ie with some skill. You know, NSX owners I think should be proud of their car acceleration, and it's just get better with a little tinkering.

Originally posted by 8000RPM:
And what would be an excellent choice for a primary sports car in your opinion?

Same. NSX... MR2... Any lean and mean two seater would make a nice choice.

I just didn't want to hurt the original poster's feelings by calling the Supra what I think it really is -- a high-powered GT car. In truth, however, when paired with a Supra as its stable mate, either the NSX or MR2 would be the primary sports car.

-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

www.boostedgroup.com

Originally posted by BoostedMR2:
Now that's more like it!

Glad you liked it. BTW, notice a few things about my MR2: Lowered/Blacked-in Canopy/6 Spoke wheels were done before I saw your (very cool) car in SportCompact Car. Actually it was done before I knew the '94/'95 European cars had the blacked in canopy. I did it so it would look like an NSX!

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 29 July 2002).]

Originally posted by robr:
Ask Doug Hayashi how he feels about Jovo's Supra
smile.gif
smile.gif

nite_enduro_supra.jpg

I have no doubt that the Supra can be made into a very capable track car -- especially with Mr. Hayashi behind the wheel.

The Supra is a very well engineered car, and has proven itself more than capable both on the road course and at the drag strip. Of course, a Mustang can also be made into a record setting track car, and yet it would be a stretch to consider it a proper sports car.

-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

www.boostedgroup.com

Back