Anyone here own a MB SL600?

Hey,

My uncle just sold his 01' Boxster and is in the market for another sporty car. He's looking at the MB SL600, but I'm convincing him to check out the NSX. Anyone here own the SL and have any comparison or thoughts/opinions? Thanks!

I guess it comes up to sporty fun, fast, sports car, versus cruising in the Benz....does he like stick? The SL will be automatic with a sport shift or something like that..

My Old man drives a SL500 with an AMG Sports package. It's drawbacks compared to my NSX are it's automatic and it's very heavy. My dad likes to cruise my NSX once in a while but always ends up scraping the front. The Benz stands higher and is ideal for him to get in and out of as opposed to the NSX where he needs 2 people to pull him out. The Benz is very fast as well. 322 HP V8. I would say for a older more mature person go with the Benz a 600 will definetly be worth looking at especially with the AMG package.(It's also a V12 with over 400 HP) and maybe the new ones come with tiptronic?

Originally posted by O-Ace:
Hey,

My uncle just sold his 01' Boxster and is in the market for another sporty car. He's looking at the MB SL600, but I'm convincing him to check out the NSX. Anyone here own the SL and have any comparison or thoughts/opinions? Thanks!

Not a MB SL600 but I had a MB SL500. The SL and NSX are two totally different cars. If I had to choose between one or the other, the NSX of course. But if he opts for the SL, I'd look into the Lexus SC400.

Some of you mentioned age as being a big factor, and I agree, the SL would be nice for an older person but he's only 35. I'll take him to a dealer to test drive an NSX this weekend and let him decide after that. I just think it'd be cool if he had an NSX, since I'll also be getting an NSX.

Originally posted by O-Ace:
Hey,

dont get the older style, get the 2003 SL500, they look cool. i am not sure if the SL600 is out yet though.

Since he's only 35, I'd definitely take him to look at the NSX. I assumed we were talking about someone in the 50-55 age range like my old man, then I'd go for the Benz. (or maybe a Bentley !!!!)

Originally posted by NSX2NV:
...I assumed we were talking about someone in the 50-55 age range like my old man, then I'd go for the Benz. (or maybe a Bentley !!!!)

...or an Aston Martin!
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

they currently do not offer a SL600 for 2003...but maybe he would like the CL600 .It dosent come in a convertible but i love this car so much...and the v12 engine is amazing in that it runs on six cylinders till there is a need for the other six to kick in.

[This message has been edited by NyC NsX (edited 15 July 2002).]

Originally posted by NSX2NV:
Since he's only 35, I'd definitely take him to look at the NSX. I assumed we were talking about someone in the 50-55 age range like my old man, then I'd go for the Benz. (or maybe a Bentley !!!!)

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ...................
eek.gif

Some of us are closing in on those numbers and we just installed Bilstein, and sway bars ......... and can still kick some dirt ........
biggrin.gif

I never had an SL600 but I had an 00 SL500. I thought it was a really nice car and handled pretty well for its weight. However, I could never get over the feeling that everyone was wondering what my father did for a living.

Even now, there are quite a few 03 SLs in my area and they seem to have more mature drivers. Even so, I really like the new ones.

I think the SL is a better overall vehicle in terms of practicality, ease of driving, safety etc. But it is an automatic (sportshift doesn't work all that well).

So it depends on what he is looking for. I used to do a lot of driving (50-60k miles per year) and during that time, I would have preferred the SL. If he likes spirited driving, then something else. If he's in the 100k price range anyway, how about a 996 turbo?

Originally posted by WeakestLink:
If he's in the 100k price range anyway, how about a 996 turbo?

That's exactly what I told him, but he doesn't want to get another Porsche right away

Back