Anyone have or has had a Porsche 997 turbo?

What do/did you think?

I test drove one. I thought it was fast as hell. The engine sounds wasn't great. The interior was pretty cramped - Not much space at all. Certainly no where near as practical as a Z06 or even a NSX. But it sure was fast..

Z06 fast?

If you are looking I know of one that is absolutely gorgeous getting ready to hit the market. 08 16k miles triple black. It will fetch xtra clean retail and gettign a great deal on it will be close to impossible but It is for sure one of the cleanest ones you will see. And yea, It's quick. WOn't feel like a Z06 but it's a different type of car in my opinion.

Z06 fast?

Hmmm... well, they are both very very fast. I think the turbo pushes you back harder than the Z06 when it comes on. I would honestly say it is probably equal performance wise, but you do lose a lot of practicality. The 911 turbo is a step up in quality. If you use your trunk a lot, I wouldn't do it.

My buddy just bought a silver one. It's nice and fast....

Hmmm... well, they are both very very fast. I think the turbo pushes you back harder than the Z06 when it comes on. I would honestly say it is probably equal performance wise, but you do lose a lot of practicality. The 911 turbo is a step up in quality. If you use your trunk a lot, I wouldn't do it.

What's a trunk? ;)

Not worried about practicality with this purchase...just worried that it won't be as quick as the lightly modded Z it may replace. Especially since its roughly twice the price. Looking at mods- it isn't cheap or easy getting a 997t to 500awhp.

Interior upgrade is a definite plus. But if the power isn't there it's a no go. Trying to find one local to test drive.

What's a trunk? ;)

Not worried about practicality with this purchase...just worried that it won't be as quick as the lightly modded Z it may replace. Especially since its roughly twice the price. Looking at mods- it isn't cheap or easy getting a 997t to 500awhp.

Interior upgrade is a definite plus. But if the power isn't there it's a no go. Trying to find one local to test drive.

I guess I would ask what are you looking for in a car that the z06 doesn't do for you?

I guess I would ask what are you looking for in a car that the z06 doesn't do for you?

Just looking for something different. I wanted to unload the Z before the new iteration is unveiled and my resale drops like a rock.

On the Porsche specifically, the twin turbos, AWD and nicer interior is a draw. Just don't want to take a step backwards power wise.

- - - Updated - - -

It might not be cheap to get a 997 to 500awhp but it's certainly EASY to get it to 500awhp. clutch, upgraded intercoolers, upgraded turbos, exhaust and a retune. Done!

Yep. And those turbo kits are 30K for an extra 50whp. :eek:

Last edited:
Road in my buddies and was suprised... The HP is pretty raw... not what I was expecting.

Just looking for something different. I wanted to unload the Z before the new iteration is unveiled and my resale drops like a rock.

On the Porsche specifically, the twin turbos, AWD and nicer interior is a draw. Just don't want to take a step backwards power wise.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. And those turbo kits are 30K for an extra 50whp. :eek:

Go test drive something AMG

I would rather have a 360 Spyder. Not near as fast but souns so much better.

I had lots of seat time in 996 turbos up to 600 hp.....lets just say that on the street it was video game kinda fun...I was keeping pace with sport bikes wanting to play...but I would not live for very long:redface:

No but we sat in it. Very nice.

I've driven the V-8S and its neck snapping fast. To me the exhaust sounds the best of any car I've ever owned, driven or even heard driving by....and I've been to a lot of racetracks. Right at the end of this video there is a short bit of what it almost sounds like in person. The overrun is just perfect. Jag did a great job on this car.

Go test drive something AMG

Which one specifically? I already have a decently powered AWD sedan that handles great...so the c63 was preliminarily marked off the list.

And I did hear the new Jag at the Concours D'Elegance last weekend.....unreal. The interior is also top notch.

Which one specifically? I already have a decently powered AWD sedan that handles great...so the c63 was preliminarily marked off the list.

And I did hear the new Jag at the Concours D'Elegance last weekend.....unreal. The interior is also top notch.

Sl55 or sl63 would be a great replacement for the vette. I had a sl55, to this day its still my favorite car and I've owned a lot of cars.

My buddy had an AMG CL65 and in six months of ownership he spent thousands of $ on maintenance for typical repairs....I would stay far away personally. It was fast though.

- - - Updated - - -

A stock 2nd Gen 997TT should walk a C6 Z06 all day long....0-60 is in the 2.6-3.2 sec range

Last edited:
My buddy had an AMG CL65 and in six months of ownership he spent thousands of $ on maintenance for typical repairs....I would stay far away personally. It was fast though.

- - - Updated - - -

A stock 2nd Gen 997TT should walk a C6 Z06 all day long....0-60 is in the 2.6-3.2 sec range

I've only ever had to pay for oil changes and wiper blades and they were not anymore expensive than any other car I've owned. However mercedes offers something that no other car I've owned offers and that is to not waste something I can not duplicate, my time. They bring a loaner to my house, drop it off and pick up my car for ANY repair, even oil changes. I don't have to sit around their waiting room for service reading two year old magazines. When the car is repaired they bring it back to my house and take their loaner back. This is why I purchase mercedes and probably alway will. Just put a deposit down for the new S. Should be here in 4 to 5 months.

I've only ever had to pay for oil changes and wiper blades and they were not anymore expensive than any other car I've owned. However mercedes offers something that no other car I've owned offers and that is to not waste something I can not duplicate, my time. They bring a loaner to my house, drop it off and pick up my car for ANY repair, even oil changes. I don't have to sit around their waiting room for service reading two year old magazines. When the car is repaired they bring it back to my house and take their loaner back. This is why I purchase mercedes and probably alway will. Just put a deposit down for the new S. Should be here in 4 to 5 months.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but an SL55 has an 8 cyl not the biTurbo 12 cyl of the 65 series, which is a different animal altogether and a different price bracket as well. The local MB place is great here as well, they also service my Porsche and they do everything but get you a hooker while you are there. Maybe they rip you off at Porshe service though cause they charge me $325+tax for an oil change.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but an SL55 has an 8 cyl not the biTurbo 12 cyl of the 65 series, which is a different animal altogether and a different price bracket as well. The local MB place is great here as well, they also service my Porsche and they do everything but get you a hooker while you are there. Maybe they rip you off at Porshe service though cause they charge me $325+tax for an oil change.

The 55 is supercharged, just brut force and a lot of fun to drive. The 63 is NA and still a lot of fun to drive however I prefer the supercharged version. The 65 is a 12 with twin turbos. This is also the case with the s class cars. IMO the SL55 just feels solid. It's also very comfortable. I drove mine between ny and Florida several times and never felt fatigued from driving the car 1000 miles in one shot. I can't say the same about the 360. That car would wear you out after 300 miles.

Back