Anyone have or has had a Porsche 997 turbo?

I was only speaking of my friends experiences with the CL65, which was an unpleasant experience for his wallet to say the least. Did they give him great service at the dealership?......you bet they did.....but it was thousands every time he had to go in for anything. It sounds like you get a new one every few years once they run out of warranty, so the exuberant maintenance costs would not apply to you. For the OP, going from maintenance costs on his Vette to the costs on the MB....there will be a significant difference, especially if he goes to an AMG badged car like the 65 series.

What happenens IMO is the dealer lists a used CL65 for say 90k that's a few years old. The buyer says f... That I can get the exact same car at Johnny's body shop for 52k. Well its not the same car because Johnny can't star mark it. Buy a star marked car. Same as factory warranty to 135k miles and five more years. When you try and cut the dealer out of a transaction your only screwing yourself, especially on an expensive to repair car. If something happens to a car under warranty its an issue not a problem. I've had issues with every car I've bought from a dealer but rarely a problem. In fact the depreciation on a complicated car is a direct result of the narrowed market for a used version with no warranty, and you'd be crazy to buy one. Had I bought the current S class I drive right now, used with no warranty... but cheaper, I'd probably be out 30k or more in repairs. I have no clue what the repairs have cost because the receipts come with no amounts on them.

Chudson just sold his AMG CLS63 because it was out of warranty. Not great cars to know have a warranty with.

What are you looking for in a car? If you are looking at a 997TT then I would recommend looking at 2010's with DCT. They are definetly a step up in performance from a Z. 0-60 in less than 3 secs but you have to have a DCT to extract that time of run. I have read that it gets a bit boring after a while but I would say it is very very practical car that is also lighting fast.

I don't know why people are posting about trunk space. It has 24 Cubic feet of space if you combine the space behind the front seats and the trunk.

I personally would just purchase a more reliable car.....warranty or not. Who wants to deal with the aggravation of having a high maintenance nightmare.

Just an update - I had only been looking for about a month- but decided against a 997.

Between the difficulty finding an acceptable car close enough to me to inspect, the all over the place prices, the arrogance of some of the Porsche tuners and just all the conflicting information posted all over the forums I had enough.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Zr1. Will post pics when I pick it up. Thanks for all the insight guys.

............zr1 is a beast...so you must like the vette platform/ergonomics .......

Just an update - I had only been looking for about a month- but decided against a 997.

Between the difficulty finding an acceptable car close enough to me to inspect, the all over the place prices, the arrogance of some of the Porsche tuners and just all the conflicting information posted all over the forums I had enough.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Zr1. Will post pics when I pick it up. Thanks for all the insight guys.

Congrats on the zr1. Awesome car. How much are they going for used?

I'm curious as to why you aren't waiting to buy the 2014?

Congrats on the zr1. Awesome car. How much are they going for used?

New ones (3ZRs) start at around 122k and some dealers are discounting them to 105ish with attractive financing as well.

I went for a private party 2010 3ZR with 3k miles on it. Price was just over 80.

Can't wait to get my hands on it. Already ordered a new steering wheel and clear corner lenses. :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

I'm curious as to why you aren't waiting to buy the 2014?

2 reasons, Steve.

I'm impatient (sold the Z06 in a week and need a car) and i'm not a fan of the new transformer styling of the C7. Build quality is there and there is no doubt it is a better put together car....just can't get past the looks.

Last edited:
New ones (3ZRs) start at around 122k and some dealers are discounting them to 105ish with attractive financing as well.

I went for a private party 2010 3ZR with 3k miles on it. Price was just over 80.

Can't wait to get my hands on it. Already ordered a new steering wheel and clear corner lenses. :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

2 reasons, Steve.

I'm impatient (sold the Z06 in a week and need a car) and i'm not a fan of the new transformer styling of the C7. Build quality is there and there is no doubt it is a better put together car....just can't get past the looks.

Wow that's crazy. The new one is the first one I've liked the looks of since the late mid to late 60s. I've also read the pricing going to be reasonable. It's the first vette I'd consider buying. But I can't rock a pink shirt the way you can either. LOL

Wow that's crazy. The new one is the first one I've liked the looks of since the late mid to late 60s. I've also read the pricing going to be reasonable. It's the first vette I'd consider buying. But I can't rock a pink shirt the way you can either. LOL

Don't forget the obligatory gold chain, I'd have given you mine, but when I got rid of the vette, sold the chain with it!!!

Redheads are challenged in this regard! ;)

Don't forget the obligatory gold chain, I'd have given you mine, but when I got rid of the vette, sold the chain with it!!!

Pics as promised. Sans gold chains of course!

IMG_1515.jpg
IMG_1517.jpg
IMG_1518.jpg
IMG_1521.jpg
[

don't let Dave see that little gurnyesqe flap:wink:.......btw can you feel or hear the supercharger on that car?

Silverstone, love the color. Awesome performance ride.

Responding to the new vette, I may have a change of thought, not regarding looks but I have a feeling these are going to be all over the place due to pricing. Styling is awesome as long as you get the loaded package.

don't let Dave see that little gurnyesqe flap:wink:.......btw can you feel or hear the supercharger on that car?

Gurnyesque flap? Yes you can hear the supercharger whine a bit at low RPMS when you stab the throttle...but the wind noise takes over soon enough. Feel it? Hell yes. :biggrin:

Silverstone, love the color. Awesome performance ride.

Responding to the new vette, I may have a change of thought, not regarding looks but I have a feeling these are going to be all over the place due to pricing. Styling is awesome as long as you get the loaded package.

Thank you, sir. My favorite color combo as well.

Back