Anyone get their I phone yet?

i somehow upgraded it to version 1.1.1.1 BUT I DONT UNDERSTAND I DONE YOUR INSTRUCTIONS!! SO NOW HE DOES NOT ACCEPT 1.0.2 OR OLDER VERSION?:mad: :frown:

At the moment once a phone has been upgraded to 1.1.1, you cannot reflash the firmware back to 1.0.2. Technically there's no reason that it can't be done, but presumably it's using Apple's flasher which checks the version and doesnt allow you to roll back.

Currently 1.1.1 has not been reverse engineered to allow third party SIM's. You'll either have to wait for this to happen or return the phone and try to get your hands on a 1.0.2 phone. I suspect a workaround will be found in the coming weeks, but there's no guarantee.

i have friend hacker who done back to 1.0.2 in a 2 hours now my iphone unlocked and working perfectly -1 for apple +1 for me :eek: :biggrin:

i have friend hacker who done back to 1.0.2 in a 2 hours now my iphone unlocked and working perfectly -1 for apple +1 for me :eek: :biggrin:

Cool! Have your friend post up the details. Here's how to downgrade the firmware from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2, but this does not downgrade the baseband firmware which is required if you want to use a non-AT&T sim:

http://www.iphonealley.com/news/breaking-downgrades-from-v1-1-1-are-possible

Ask your friend how he managed to downgrade the baseband firmware.

Last edited:
Bah... looks like I'm going to have to bust out the disassembler and start working on this myself.

lets see them hex0rz skills0rz :biggrin: :tongue:

So I have an iPhone, FW version 1.0, i updated to 1.0.2 and tried unlocking it. I got it activated with iNdependence. I then go through the steps of unlocking it but once it says its done, and I insert my non-ATT SIM card in, it searches for a second then displays NO SERVICE. what gives? is there something i'm missing? I got so tired of searching around, i was really burnt out from a long weekend.

So I have an iPhone, FW version 1.0, i updated to 1.0.2 and tried unlocking it. I got it activated with iNdependence. I then go through the steps of unlocking it but once it says its done, and I insert my non-ATT SIM card in, it searches for a second then displays NO SERVICE. what gives? is there something i'm missing? I got so tired of searching around, i was really burnt out from a long weekend.

which method did you try? Are you using a mac or a PC?

There are several ways to unlock the phone.... The easiest way is to follow the steps in the video at www.ibrickr.com on the front page.... this way it wont wipe your phone if you already have contacts etc on the phone....

which method did you try? Are you using a mac or a PC?

There are several ways to unlock the phone.... The easiest way is to follow the steps in the video at www.ibrickr.com on the front page.... this way it wont wipe your phone if you already have contacts etc on the phone....

I tried the Mac way.

I tried the Mac way.

Im not familiar with that method... at what point does it fail? Can you link me to which steps you followed? thx

:smile: LET'S JUST SAY I EAT/SLEEP/DRINK/PLAY/SEX <== OOPPS HAAHAHAH LOL IPHONE! AHHAHAHAH IT'S THE ONLY THING I NEED WHEN I'M IN A DESERTED ISLAND (CELL SIGNAL PLEASE... KNOCK ON WOOD)! AAPL STOCK UP AGAIN! :cool: $$$$$$$$$$$$$ PLUS I JUST BLOW OVER $100 BUCKS ON ITUNES MUSIC/VIDEO, HEE HEE, ALSO I JUST FOUND OUT THERE ARE FREE WEBAPPS @ http://www.apple.com/webapps/, CHECK OUT THE DICTIONARY/CHESS GAMES/ I LOVE MY IPHONE MORE AND MORE EVERY MINUTE! BE CREATIVE FOLKS, THIS IS NOT JUST A PHONE, IT'S THE WORLD IN YOUR HANDS! THE ONLY LIMITS ARE YOUR IMAGINATIONS! <==HENCE COULD BE A GOOD OR BAD THING... (SOME MIDDLE SCHOOL GIRL HACKED THIS PHONE BEFORE, SO LET'S NOT JOKE AROUND WHAT THIS DEVICE COULD DO!) OH, YOU CAN EVEN SURF PRIME ANYWHERE THERE ARE GSM EDGE SIGNAL OR WIFI AT YOUR LOCAL STARBUCKS! AHHAHA :) I'M SO ADDICTED TO THIS DEVICE, I'M STARTING TO WONDER WHY I PAID $400K FOR THE MURCIE... HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Last edited:
All right so I've spent the past few days disassembling and reverse engineering the baseband firmware as well as the anysim1.0 and 1.1 apps and iphonesimfree to understand how it all works. I'm still in the middle of the BB reverse engineering as it's quite large and complex, but I now have some ideas on how to go about doing a "true" unlock of the phone.

In the meantime, I just wanted to post a warning about iphonesimfree. This is the non-free option that supposedly truly unlocks your phone and survives firmware upgrades from Apple. Most resellers are charging $70-100 for this option. DO NOT USE THIS!

Some background: Anysim1.0 and 1.1 work by patching the baseband firmware to fool it into thinking that the phone is unlocked even though the actual unlock code is not in the seczone. 1.0 screwed up the seczone because that same patched code was called from elsewhere and wrote spurious bytes in the wrong place causing the phone to become inoperable when Apple went to 1.1.1 FW. Anysim1.1 patches in a different spot to avoid this problem but may still have other side effects. iphonesimfree uses an entirely different mechanism. They grab the seczone and send it to their server where it is modified (supposedly unlocked) and sent back to your phone. They temporarily modify the baseband bootloader to overwrite this block and then restore the original firmware. When the BB checks seczone, it passes and the phone is "unlocked". This is how it survives baseband FW upgrades, unlike iUnlock/Anysim and others that just patch the BB FW.

The problem is this: They have not discovered how to create the real unlock data. They overwrite a chunk of data and rely on a bug in the encryption logic in the BB to allow it to pass. Two problems: 1) Apple will eventually address this, but more importantly 2) they are overwriting your seczone with bad data! It is not possible to recover this (as far as I know) unless you've first dumped this out prior to running IPSF etc. It works today but if it blew away important information that Apple will reference in some future FW, your phone may really become permanently inoperable.

Just thought I'd warn my friends on here -- stay away from iphonesimfree!

My wife, who has never liked cell phones, got the opportunity to play with a couple of her employees' I phones and said she really liked it. So I am thinking that might be a nice stocking stuffer for Christmas.

Then yesterday I had lunch with a friend whose friend works for Palm. That person said that the Palm goes through some pretty tough testing to make sure it continues to work if dropped. They took the I phone and apparently dropped it once from 3 or 4 feet and it came apart in a bunch of little parts. This has me pretty concerned becasue there is a pretty good chance the phone is goinbg to be dropped.... anyone have any personal experience dropping one? Are they tough enough for real world use?

Thanks for the thoughts- Oh, I have a Treo 680 and am not that impressed with it BTW. I may consider the I phone to if it is tough enough.

PC World and Ars Technica both conducted torture tests on the phone and the results are noted in this article. Videos for both of these are also available on Youtube but I don't have the links handy.

Note that the Treo is actually not all that well built in terms of durability. So far my favorite is the blackberry which can be manhandled and keeps on ticking.

----------------

http://1st-iphone.com/Iphone_s_ultimate_stress_test.html

Let's face it: One of the biggest problems plaguing mobile devices is abuse by their owners. We drop them, shock them, scrape them and spill sticky stuff on them. And there are always those mysterious scratches, origins often unknown.

iPhone's good looks make it seem more vulnerable than the average cellphone. But looks can be deceiving. Is iPhone destructible?

THE RESULTS ARE IN

(CAUTION: Don't try this at home.)

PCWorld's Stress Tests. PCWorld's Eric Butterfield conducted a series of infamous scratch-and-drop stress tests on iPhone. First, Butterfield simulated real-world "pocket torture." He sealed an iPhone in a plastic bag containing several keychains and shook vigorously for a few minutes, then forcefully rubbed clusters of keys against iPhone, and ultimately scraped a key across iPhone's touchscreen. iPhone emerged without a scratch.

Next, Butterfield conducted a 3-prong drop test: iPhone was repeatedly dropped on carpet, hard linoleum, and ultimately concrete. The carpet and linoleum drops were performed at waist and chest height. Then iPhone was dropped from head height to a concrete sidewalk...iPhone skipped across the concrete like a flat stone on a smooth pond.

The verdict?

iPhone continued to work flawlessly. iPhone's stainless steel rims were scruffed a bit by the concrete, but the glass touchscreen emerged without a scratch on it.

PC World's conclusion: "There's no need to coddle this sexy little device."

The Ars Technica Torture Tests. Ars Technica manhandled an iPhone to see just how much abuse it could tolerate -- tests that can only be described as torture tests .

As in the PCWorld stress tests, iPhone sustained no damage when repeatedly dropped on a linoleum floor or crammed into tight pockets with keys. Then came the "formal testing phase." iPho ne was placed in a plastic bag with keys, a pocket knife, and a handful of rocks. Ten minutes of shaking, rubbing, and mashing resulted in o ne tiny, inconspicuous scratch on the glass face.

iPhone was dropped repeatedly and thrown forcefully down the length of a sidewalk face down. Skidding across the sidewalk generated a few light scratches that were only visible when the display was turned off, a tiny crack in the glass and some metal rim scrapes.

Since gadgets have historically been stepped on with varying degrees of survivability, Ars Technica asked a 225-pound man to step on iPhone. A large spider web crack appeared in the glass, but the touchscreen was undamaged. And iPhone was still fully functional.

iPhone then leapt from a third-floor balcony, but surprisingly, received no further physical damage to the glass or touchscreen, though its touchscreen was now dysfunctional. However, iPhone could still receive phone calls and music playback could be controlled by the the headphones' clicky button.

And then things turned nasty. This poor test iPhone was subjected to the ultimate torture: The Toilet Test. It died after sixteen seconds of submersion. There was no reviving it.

So, there you have it. You'll have to work incredibly hard to destroy your iPhone.

In truth, iPhone's curvy geometry makes it less susceptible to slipping out of your hand. iPhone feels incredibly sturdy, for a gadget that weighs in at only 4.8 ounces. The edges of the sleek optical-grade glass face tuck seamlessly into its stainless steel rim. Each edge dovetails perfectly with the next, making iPhone less susceptible to collecting crevice grit and grime.

The overwhelming consensus among critics and torture-testers is that iPhone is scratch-resistant -- if not scratch-proof , though as reviewers Walter Mossberg and Steven Levy have pointed out, its shiny black glass face is hopelessly prone to collecting finger smudges.

Perhaps this is the price one pays for a capacitive display that literally puts the world at your fingertips. On the bright side (literally), iPhone's display is so bright that the fingerprints won't particularly bother you. And Apple does include a small black chamois cloth in the box. You'll probably need it often.

The bottom line is that iPhone is, for real-world everyday use, incredibly durable. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't hedge your bets. Don't expose it to extreme heat. Don't key the front just to see what will happen. And buy your iPhone a cool protective case to ensure that it still looks gorgeous two years from now.

:confused: hmmm, it's interesting to try to unlock the iphone, but Apple will not honor any warranties whatsoever... plus they recently announced third party licensing, so more apps/games to come for the iphone (it's a way to protect their program from virus/spams not really a monopoly). Plus the powerful Safari is good as it is I think, what possibly could hacking into it get any better?

Well if you are going to drop any device, hopes are it will break or it will be ok :wink:. Good thing though about the iPhone is that all the data is backed up in your computer with iTunes/Outlook contacts, so really all u need to do if you did break the iphone is to get a new one (hopefully if you explain to Apple service they will give you a good deal), and once you get the new phone, usb hook up and you have everything back!

I was at a local Borders/Starbucks location yesterday reading some books and playing around with my iPhone, I tried connecting to their wifi server, and they locked me into their homepage which requires an annual subscription of $29.99 for unlimited websurf... heck, I get that for free with my AT&T data plan already $20 per month unlimited usage, why would I pay for wifi?!?!? hahaha (It might be faster, but I could wait... or find another local wifi server in the neighborhood!)

I recently saw the iTouch at Costco selling like hotcakes, it's actually just as cool as the Iphone except no cell phone features!

Question.. in the iphone menu video out... is there a way to connect my iphone to a display for the video/photo output? Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
:confused: hmmm, it's interesting to try to unlock the iphone, but Apple will not honor any warranties whatsoever... plus they recently announced third party licensing, so more apps/games to come for the iphone (it's a way to protect their program from virus/spams not really a monopoly).

It's a completely different thing. Third party SDK support is for developers outside of Apple to write native applications rather than web-based apps for the phone.

Unlocking frees the phone from being locked to AT&T or whatever other carriers that Apple supports. For many of us outside of the US who want to use the iPhone we're currently screwed because it's not even offered. So unlocking is the only option...

All right so I've spent the past few days disassembling and reverse engineering the baseband firmware as well as the anysim1.0 and 1.1 apps and iphonesimfree to understand how it all works. I'm still in the middle of the BB reverse engineering as it's quite large and complex, but I now have some ideas on how to go about doing a "true" unlock of the phone.

In the meantime, I just wanted to post a warning about iphonesimfree. This is the non-free option that supposedly truly unlocks your phone and survives firmware upgrades from Apple. Most resellers are charging $70-100 for this option. DO NOT USE THIS!

Some background: Anysim1.0 and 1.1 work by patching the baseband firmware to fool it into thinking that the phone is unlocked even though the actual unlock code is not in the seczone. 1.0 screwed up the seczone because that same patched code was called from elsewhere and wrote spurious bytes in the wrong place causing the phone to become inoperable when Apple went to 1.1.1 FW. Anysim1.1 patches in a different spot to avoid this problem but may still have other side effects. iphonesimfree uses an entirely different mechanism. They grab the seczone and send it to their server where it is modified (supposedly unlocked) and sent back to your phone. They temporarily modify the baseband bootloader to overwrite this block and then restore the original firmware. When the BB checks seczone, it passes and the phone is "unlocked". This is how it survives baseband FW upgrades, unlike iUnlock/Anysim and others that just patch the BB FW.

The problem is this: They have not discovered how to create the real unlock data. They overwrite a chunk of data and rely on a bug in the encryption logic in the BB to allow it to pass. Two problems: 1) Apple will eventually address this, but more importantly 2) they are overwriting your seczone with bad data! It is not possible to recover this (as far as I know) unless you've first dumped this out prior to running IPSF etc. It works today but if it blew away important information that Apple will reference in some future FW, your phone may really become permanently inoperable.

Just thought I'd warn my friends on here -- stay away from iphonesimfree!

Thanks for the write up.. Its interesting what you've said... have you looked at their latest version?

http://www.iphonesimfree.com/cgi-bin/iphonesimfree/engine.pl?page=home

They are no longer charging for this. I am not going to test it on my phone b/c I used AnySIM (still on 1.0.2). But there seems to be a few bugs like you said.

First of all, and this is the strange one: I'll be sitting in one spot & have full signal with EDGE and then BLAM. No Signal or it will go to one bar and no EDGE - very low signal - and then a few minutes later it will be right back. Sometime I have to go into Settings > Carrier to let it search for it again and then it will come back. Also when it does this I am unable to receive calls. Everyone tells me they have been trying to call me and it goes straight to VM.

A friend of mine is using AT&T and it does the same thing. (His is not unlocked only jailbreaked). So I'm wondering if this is a common issue with the iPhone or if its one of these 3rd party apps thats causing it? My girlfriend also has AT&T on hers (also not unlocked but jailbroken) with the same issue...

Anyone else seen this issue on non-modified phones?

Thanks for the write up.. Its interesting what you've said... have you looked at their latest version?

http://www.iphonesimfree.com/cgi-bin/iphonesimfree/engine.pl?page=home

They are no longer charging for this. I am not going to test it on my phone b/c I used AnySIM (still on 1.0.2). But there seems to be a few bugs like you said.

First of all, and this is the strange one: I'll be sitting in one spot & have full signal with EDGE and then BLAM. No Signal or it will go to one bar and no EDGE - very low signal - and then a few minutes later it will be right back. Sometime I have to go into Settings > Carrier to let it search for it again and then it will come back. Also when it does this I am unable to receive calls. Everyone tells me they have been trying to call me and it goes straight to VM.

A friend of mine is using AT&T and it does the same thing. (His is not unlocked only jailbreaked). So I'm wondering if this is a common issue with the iPhone or if its one of these 3rd party apps thats causing it? My girlfriend also has AT&T on hers (also not unlocked but jailbroken) with the same issue...

Anyone else seen this issue on non-modified phones?

I've seen this issue on different AT&T phones with buggy radio firmware. Eventually the manufacturer releases new radio firmware (at least with PPC type phones) where you can flash to a new version of the radio to address these issues.

:
They are no longer charging for this.

Why do you think they're not charging for it? There's nothing on the page to indicate that. The simfree application was always free.. but you have to buy a license from a reseller which will give you permission to connect to IPSF's unlock server.

I haven't seen that problem with EDGE, but I suspect that Rob might be right in that there may still be bugs in the baseband firmware which will eventually get addressed.

its an interesting piece that iphone but to know how to write messages and to do some settings i played for a long time :eek:
FROM MY CORNER 3 BIGGEST MINUSES ARE-WRITTING MESSAGES,WALLPAPERS ARE NOT ON WHOLE SCREEN BECAUSE ICON COULD BE SEEN, AND BATTERY ONE DAY.:frown:

:rolleyes: Opps, I guess I didn't realized that iphone isn't available outside of the US yet, hmmm... I guess I better load up on their stocks...AAPL once this thing goes global :biggrin:

Back