Anyone Drive a Cayman Yet?

I drove a Cayman S today... I have to say it was impressive in terms of sound, steering and handling/grip.

The sound was deep and rich; not the high pitch F1 scream of the NSX. The steering was tight and direct, minimal body roll, great balance and grip. It made me want to look into ways to tighten the steering feel/turn-in of my NSX somehow. I also think the Cayman has excellent lines when lowered on some nice wheels.

Has anyone else driven one? Would you consider trading the NSX for one?

I've driven one, it's pretty much a hardtop version of a boxter with a more ridgid chassis. As for the steering feel, I have a 91' NSX so I preferred my sterring feel over the Cayman's. The driving felt good but not spectacular. Just remember that the Cayman was created to fill in the gap between the boxter and the 911, so the engineers couldn't make it too powerful or add an LSD to make the handling better then the 911. Its a nice car to have as a daily driver actually but I wouldn't trade a NSX in for one. If you traded one for a GT3 on the other hand, I would understand completely :smile:

I drove one for about 30 minutes too and I too prefer the NSX. I think the steering response you are looking for will be fixed with a type R front sway bar and chassis bars as it eliminates that intial lean the car has that makes the steering feel less crisp.

The Cayman is a bit underpowered for me, I did prefer the 997S I drove but to me neither had the uniqueness of the NSX and I am quite happy I own the NSX and not a Cayman. Frankly I am not sure how different your '91 NSX's feel is from my '05. There may be enough difference there to where you see some real improvement in a Cayman, but I don't feel any compared to my car.

Oh and BTW, those Porsche options lists are retarded. I have never seen so many available options for such extravagant prices, the Cayman I drove cost more than a 997S. Even the wood or carbo dash trim is sold piece by piece. I find that annoying with Porsche and its almost enough to turn me off the car completely. I like how Honda and Acura come 2 or 3 ways and that's that.

I keep hearing about the lack of LSD thing on the Cayman yet I have seen clips of the car drifting. In terms of steering feel, I too used to have a 93 which did not have power steering and the Cayman was not better. However post 93 power steering NSX steering is another story (mine is a 98 and a targa so chassis flex).

My Evo had the best steering of any car I've ever owned but the Cayman was very very good.

Check out this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BazjBBpp3xI&mode=related&search=

FWIW, lots of folks who used to own a 996GT3's ended up trading their cars for a Cayman S, the handling is quite good, with PASM it's a no-contest being much better than most NSX suspensions out there in regards to ride quality and driveability.

The Cayman S has been hubbled from the factory by the lack of a LSD as well as the taller gearing compared to either a 997S or the 987S.

As far as looks goes the NSX still looks better, but from a straight out of the box handling it's a no contest the Cayman S even with street tires would run circles against a NA1 or a NA2 NSX running stock suspension and stock tires.

You can make a NA1/NA2 NSX handle as good as a Cayman S but you will end up sacrificing quite a bit in regards to ride quality in order to achieve that. NSX-R Suspension, stiffer sway bars, non-compliance front toe clamps, NSX-R chassis bars, non-compliance beam and rear toe links and you will probably have to run R-compounds too :D, and then you will have a car that won't be too much fun driving around roads that aren't smooth ;)

Porsche doesn't get too much credit for PASM, but it's sure worth the extra $$'s.

BTW: There are other threads that have discussed this topic.

Hmm... Being able to customize a car is a plus instead of a drawback. Unlike Acura's you can customize a Porsche as you see fit.

If you want a thicker steering wheel, that is an option, if you want PCCB (god knows who really wants ceramic brakes on a Cayman S) you can order that, if you want sports seats that is an option too.

For the most part Acura is a mid range car, you can't custom order a paint job nor interior color if you so desire, that is not a sign of a high end car company (and it shows in their products)

Again I mentioned this before but look at the Acura Style magazine vs Christophorus it's like night and day and kind of tells you want kind of customers each marque is taylored to :cool:

Hmm... Being able to customize a car is a plus instead of a drawback. Unlike Acura's you can customize a Porsche as you see fit.

If you want a thicker steering wheel, that is an option, if you want PCCB (god knows who really wants ceramic brakes on a Cayman S) you can order that, if you want sports seats that is an option too.

For the most part Acura is a mid range car, you can't custom order a paint job nor interior color if you so desire, that is not a sign of a high end car company (and it shows in their products)

Again I mentioned this before but look at the Acura Style magazine vs Christophorus it's like night and day and kind of tells you want kind of customers each marque is taylored to :cool:

yes but the problem is very little is standard and the options are very pricey. Just pick a few here and there and you are waaaaay up there in price with Porsche. The price of the car means very little when you have to pay for almost everything.

Ken, I know exactly what you mean. However, those costs do add up. Maybe I'm just cheap but, man, a 70k car quickly becomes 100k. Sweet car though.

Well since you put it that way, nothing can be described as F1 high pitch compared to an F-car! But compared to many other cars the NSX sound is a higher pitch than most.

Those that have driven the Cayman S, would you do M Coupe of Cayman S? I know dynamically the Cayman is a more balanced and thus effective track tool. But having owned an older M Coupe there is definitely a fun factor with those cars.

Well since you put it that way, nothing can be described as F1 high pitch compared to an F-car! But compared to many other cars the NSX sound is a higher pitch than most.

Those that have driven the Cayman S, would you do M Coupe of Cayman S? I know dynamically the Cayman is a more balanced and thus effective track tool. But having owned an older M Coupe there is definitely a fun factor with those cars.

But the M coupe is ugly!

The Cayman looks very good, especially from the rear and rear sides. The roofline and fenders are very nicely done. Front is of course very Boxter like and not so interesting.

I test drove one and really liked it. Loved the exhuast note and handling. Wouldn't trade my NSX for one. Steering was good it's the same assist at parking speeds as anything else out there. I guess it's just a ego thing for people to say they have no power assist:confused:

I turned away from the car ,because of options. WTF????? $200 for "Porsche painted crest wheel caps??? give me a brake! That was just riduclous! I'm surprised Porsche includes a steering wheel the way they option you to death on their cars:mad:

The Cayman S will be an attractive option slightly used a few years down the road. I don't think it would replace my current NSX, but it could be a great daily driver. I'd put snow tires on a Cayman . . .:eek:

It's ironic this thread got bumped. Immediately prior to purchasing my 3rd NSX (last week), I test drove a few cars that I was curious about to ensure I was making the right decision. Drove a new Vette, a Carrera, a Cayman, BMW 650 & 335 and finally, an SL500.

Of all these cars, the Cayman had *by far* the smallest interior. I'm just over 6 feet tall. After 2 minutes, I told the salesman we're going back to the dealership.

After test driving the above referenced, which was a lot of fun, I still chose to purchase another NSX. Have to admit... I'd like to have an SL500 too, but I heard I would need yet another vehicle... a tow truck. :rolleyes:

I drove the Cayman S. It is one of the best handeling cars I have driven. It is a bit under powered, but that is easy to fix.I almost bought one instead of the NSX. I chose the NSX because of the uniqueness and good handling. If I stuck to my principle of buying performance first and looks after, I would bedriving a Caman S now instea of the NSX. I broke my rule and am glad I did. I love the looks of the Cayman S, but I am driving a piece of artwork.

p.s. The RX-8 handles better than the NSX, but the rear end borders on ugly. I still thouroughly enjoy driving it as well.

John

It's ironic this thread got bumped. Immediately prior to purchasing my 3rd NSX (last week), I test drove a few cars that I was curious about to ensure I was making the right decision. Drove a new Vette, a Carrera, a Cayman, BMW 650 & 335 and finally, an SL500.

Of all these cars, the Cayman had *by far* the smallest interior. I'm just over 6 feet tall. After 2 minutes, I told the salesman we're going back to the dealership.

After test driving the above referenced, which was a lot of fun, I still chose to purchase another NSX. Have to admit... I'd like to have an SL500 too, but I heard I would need yet another vehicle... a tow truck. :rolleyes:

Are you sure you didn't have the seat adjustment cranked up so the seat bottom was too high? It's adjustable in height, you know. I know for sure that a tall friend of mine fits a lot better in his Cayman than he does in my NSX.

You are kidding right...an RX 8 handles better that an NSX:eek:

p.s. The RX-8 handles better than the NSX, but the rear end borders on ugly. I still thouroughly enjoy driving it as well.

Are you sure you didn't have the seat adjustment cranked up so the seat bottom was too high? It's adjustable in height, you know. I know for sure that a tall friend of mine fits a lot better in his Cayman than he does in my NSX.

Yeah me too, I am surprised of the comment, I have long legs and I fit fine in the Cayman... better than the NSX as fasr as I remember.

You are kidding right...an RX 8 handles better that an NSX:eek:

Yes. I have both and alternate between the cars, but the RX-8 is more ballanced and stable. We are comparing 90s tech to 04 tech. It does not have the acceleration of the NSX but Pettit Racing is coming up with a fix for that.

John

IMHO,

You are really better off asking the same question over at www.rennlist.com, plenty of folks who moved over from BMW to P-cars after BMW abandoned the concept of lightweight and well balanced cars :(

P.S. I really liked the E30 M3's and the E36 M3's but BMW started going downhill with the E46 M3's.

Back