Anybody also consider the E46 M3?

Originally posted by maomaonsx:
As far as considering a E46 M3 goes, I think a M3 with SNG shifter and the optional alcantara/leather interior with a nice aftermarket exhaust, suspension and wheels is a lotta car for under $60k.

Well put. A stripper M3 (delete everything including sunroof, but adding brake upgrade, Xenon, and SMG option) might be a better track car (OK George, we disagree about the leather - but it weighs more than cloth!). A US market CSL would be killer. Love the NSX, but it does need an update. Paddle shifter 3.5L NSX Type-R, drool...

zanardi1a.jpg
P3310024t.jpg

99 NSX-Z SC (360 RWHP)
95 Dinan S3 M3 (338 [email protected], 3.2L coming online...)

[This message has been edited by Number9 (edited 10 December 2002).]

Boy, the SHAME of that BMW company. Imagine that they know well of the defective parts but cannot know which engines will "go" and which ones won't. Surely any *reasonable*, more customer-oriented manufacturer in similar circumstances would step in and recall the whole lot. Heck, next thing you know after a few years that bad, bad BMW company may even deny coverage to an origional owner that hasn't accumulated mileage as fast as others... but ultimately experiences the SAME problem from the SAME known-defective parts.

Sheesh, I'm sure glad I didn't make any *snap* decisions and opted instead for a Honda!

Unlike BMW, at least Honda repaired all the snap ring cars that failed without giving owners grief - throughout the warranty period, as well as for several years after the warranty had expired.

lol kpond, no doubt. Whenever the anti-BWM rhetoric ratchets up regarding the M3 around here, the NSX's snap ring failure issue drifts to the forefront of my brain almost instantly.

But the differance is that Honda owned up to the issue early on, and original owners didn't get screwed. A recall was certainly justified, and in a perfect world that's what would have occurred. However there are a lot of M3 owners out there right now that would gladly take a nice fat TSB at this point from BMW for sure regarding the S54's issues.

I actually was contacted Yesterday to be told that my 02 M3 was in the range of these failures and that BMW HAS replaced some engines BEFORE they blew, and has now owned up to the ones that are blowing, and will replace them. It is still a VERY small percentage that have blown, and of course they are going to be sceptical when the first ones happen. I'm sure Honda was at the time too. It has been less than a year since the first ones let loose, and they have now owned up to it. I wouldn't let it sway my decision, its an AWESOME car.!!

10k miles, and going strong!!

Steve

------------------
Steve
89 325is "snowmobile"
91 NSX
01 MDX
02 M3 SMG

"automotive indulgence"
www.thelastdetail.com

SJJ28,
Seem we have similar taste on personal cars
wink.gif

Love your dealership web site too, it must be nice to sell those nice cars.

I wish you were here in SF bay area
smile.gif

I read your ads on Autoweek all the time.

M3 is a good GT car, I can use it everyday and park it almost anywhere where it is safe from ding. And I can bring my family and friends along too.

NSX is definitely just for cruising alone or with my girl friend
smile.gif

------------------
--
'03 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony
- 260 HP :) -> miles start to climb
'94 NSX Brooklands Green Pearl/ Onyx
- 10k miles
- GruppeM Intake & Exhaust V.3
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blue/ Grey - 5k miles
'93 300SE MBZ - 97k miles and running strong :)

One of the posts here reminded me of a question that I should ask. When you guys park your NSX do you spend the whole time worrying about it? Have you found the attention that it gets to be a nuisance? Could the M3 owners also answer this - thanks.

Originally posted by matti:
When you guys park your NSX do you spend the whole time worrying about it?

Do a search on all topics with the word "park" in the subject.

BMWNA has just confimed the E46 M3 will be under warranty for 6 years or 100,000 miles.
Which means if they like you and you service the car through them the engine is probably under warranty for 8 years.

Here's the exact text of the extended engine warranty as referenced above:

Dear Valued M Enthusiast,

We hope that you are continuing to enjoy your M car and that your BMW ownership experience is everything you hoped it would be. At BMW of North America we are committed to maintaining a level of automotive and service excellence that exceeds your expectations now and in the future. We are grateful to you for your passion and enthusiasm for M cars.

BMW has always maintained an open dialogue with our valued customers and BMW centers. As you may be aware, we have seen cases of damage to the connecting rod bearings resulting in engine failure. We are listening to your comments and concerns and have been meticulously researching this issue. We promise to keep you informed of any issues that affect your vehicle’s engine.

To further strengthen your confidence in your BMW and assure you of our commitment, we will extend the warranty on the above referenced vehicle identification number for all internal mechanical engine components that are lubricated by engine oil to 6 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first. Enclosed is a copy of the extended warranty statement for your records. Please insert this page into your Service and Warranty booklet, as it is transferable to any subsequent owner.

We continue to recommend that you only use BMW approved SAE10W-60 synthetic oil in your engine. Please be aware that your engine needs to be at operating temperature before you take advantage of its full power at high engine speeds. Please do not overrev the engine under any circumstances. Be careful not to pump the accelerator pedal when there is no engine load, e.g. when the vehicle is not in motion. The best, most efficient and safest way to warm up an engine is to drive with moderate engine speeds until you reach the operating temperature.

We assure you that we stand behind our product and will always continue to listen to our customers. If you have any additional questions please contact your authorized BMW center or call Customer Relations at 1-800-831-1117.

We wish you many more safe and thrilling miles in your M car.

Sincerely,

Hans G. Duenzl
Vice President,
Aftersales & Engineering

I didn't consider anything other than an NSX...mainly because the only comparable car in my mind were far out of my financial relm; i.e. 355's, 360's, Porsche TT's. No way could I plunk 100k. But, for 30K...there was nothing else interesting to me.

------------------
Todd E. Williams
'94 NSX Berlina Black/Onyx

My M3 gets attention but not nearly as much as the NSX. Everyone knows what a BMW is and knows that my car is the new M3 but most people haven't seen an NSX. I don't worry about it much but I will valet the M3, not the NSX. Also, they always let me park the NSX in front.

Tim

98 Monte Carlo Blue NSX-T
01 Carbon Black M3

Back