Any previous Corvette owners here?

Any of you guys previously owned a C5 Corvette, and then move to the NSX? How'd it go? Are you happier with the NSX?

------------------
2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe. - Not Bone Stock :D

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

There are quite a few here... give them a chance to find your topic..... You can also do a search for C5 or Corvette and you'll pull up all the previous threads in which we discussed the comparisons. I remember one in particular that was very comprehensive. I'm sure the Forum Nazi will be here soon enough to help you find it...
wink.gif

I've had three and I love em. It's my second favorite, affordable sports car after the NSX (ferrari, GT2, etc excluded).

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 26 April 2002).]

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
You can also do a search for C5 or Corvette and you'll pull up all the previous threads in which we discussed the comparisons. I remember one in particular that was very comprehensive. I'm sure the Forum Nazi will be here soon enough to help you find it...
wink.gif

Looking for me?
biggrin.gif

http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000639.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002026.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003706.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000390.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000746.html

I owned a c4 for five years. Thus I cannot speak from personal experience. However, I have read every single thread forum nazi put up(because I was thinking of buying a C5).Thus I have a good feel for the differences.

The C5 defeats the NSX in every performance category. The margins are not enormous stock but they are there. Furthermore, the C5 can be upgraded to higher HP ratings for very little money.

From what I understand, the NSX is the most refined sports car in the world. It has supercar performance, and exotic styling with Honda Civic reliabilty.

The above is merely the short and skinny of what i have read. Perhaps it is too simplified.

Either though, I would weigh what I mentioned above and really determine what you want out of a sports car. Ask yourself what are you going to do with it. After you determine this, then you can get in to the cost issues and more detailed aspects of choosing a sports car.

Originally posted by Edwardo:
The C5 defeats the NSX in every performance category. The margins are not enormous stock but they are there. Furthermore, the C5 can be upgraded to higher HP ratings for very little money.

You mean the C5 Z06 maybe... but not the standard C5.

I did the opposite (sorta) I have '96 t. I bought a 2000 C5 FRC - the precursor to the Z06.

Both cars have been modified. The nsx has all of the comptech engine goodies except the sc. It also has short gears.

The C5 is a LPE Stage II twin turbo.

The NSX isn't as fast in a straight line but it is sure a lot easier to drive fast. Don't get my wrong, I like my c5 but the nsx is better.

Originally posted by POWERED by HONDA:
You mean the C5 Z06 maybe... but not the standard C5.
Actually, even the standard C5, with 3.15 gears on an Automatic beats the NSX performance-wise. But I'm looking for a cruiser, not a racer so it doesn't really matter. The NSX will be an addition anyways, so I'll still have the C5.

------------------

Originally posted by O-Ace:
Actually, even the standard C5, with 3.15 gears on an Automatic beats the NSX performance-wise.

Not according to the magazine tests. They usually test the manual transmission C5 and it generally tests around 4.9 seconds 0-60, which is slightly slower than the 3.2-liter NSX, which usually tests at 4.5 to 4.8. Granted, this is faster than the 3.0-liter NSX (around 5.3), and slower than the Z06 (low 4's).

I owned 3 Corvettes and have worked on scores of them. My cousin sells Corvette exclusively and usually has 25 or more in stock. I am very familiar with them. My last was a C4 and I wanted a new C5 and a friend lent me his for 3 days to try out. I was disappointed with the Corvette( a coupe with all the bells and whistles). It felt like a big car with that "floaty" road feel that I have always found on GM and other US performance cars.
I had never driven a NSX until I drove the one I now own. I was not a fan of the car and it really didn't interest me until I drove it. It feels faster (my cousin agrees) and more like a sports car should, in my opinion.(everybody has one -opinions that is!) The C5 felt the more like a Caddy. I have not driven a Z06.
The two cars that surprised me were a 01 Porsche Carrera Automatic (WOW-very quick and neat throttle shifting capability) and the S2000 once you got above 6000 rpm. They all pale next to Aaron Chung's 91 NSX CTSC heavily modded(ala Mark Basch) warrior. What a exciting car!
As for the road tests and specs in magazines they don't tell you much except, how that driver did with that car that day. It's not gonna be the same for everyone and the feelings and impressions in these magazines don't convey the NSX the way a driving it does. People often babble quotes about the "no soul NSX" until I take them for a spin and give them some religion. Then it's "Oh MY God!".
Drive the car you are interested in if you can. Get what suits you.

[This message has been edited by pbassjo (edited 01 May 2002).]

[This message has been edited by pbassjo (edited 01 May 2002).]

Jo,

Thanks for the informative reply. Appreciate it. I personally like the C5 a lot and I've modified the suspension to be tighter and more responsive so it's an awesome car at the moment and is capable of running 10s or 11s in the 1/4 while still being good in an auto-x. I've never driven an NSX tho...I think that's exactly what I need to do. Test drive an NSX. I would assume the dealers are pretty hesitant letting someone test drive an NSX?

------------------

Jo,
I would assume the dealers are pretty hesitant letting someone test drive an NSX?

There is a very long thread in this forum about this very topic. It appears that dealers vary when the act of test driving the NSX is requested.

From what I understand, the NSX is the most refined sports car in the world. It has supercar performance, and exotic styling with Honda Civic reliabilty.

...and Supercar rarity/exclusivity. That's one of the reasons I wanted an NSX since it came out - many people have never seen/heard of it.

In the suburbs north of Detroit (where I work/live) I see more C-5 Corvettes than Honda civics.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

There is a very long thread in this forum about this very topic. It appears that dealers vary when the act of test driving the NSX is requested.
I tried searching for it, but couldn't find it. If it's not too much of a hassle, post a link to it. Thanks.

Btw...anyone know any good dealers in the Chicagoland area that would let me take an NSX out for a spin?

------------------

Originally posted by ak:
o-ace, how about we swap rides at the dyno on 5/19?
biggrin.gif

- ak the nsx swinger

ak - you got a deal. We can test drive each other's cars.

P.S., just don't hit the button that says "Nitrous"
biggrin.gif

------------------

Originally posted by ak:
o-ace, how about we swap rides at the dyno on 5/19?
biggrin.gif

- ak the nsx swinger
Btw..it's Saturday, May 18th
smile.gif

------------------

ak - you got a deal. We can test drive each other's cars.

P.S., just don't hit the button that says "Nitrous"
biggrin.gif

um... I hope you have it well concealed!
biggrin.gif

I tried searching for it, but couldn't find it. If it's not too much of a hassle, post a link to it. Thanks.

Btw...anyone know any good dealers in the Chicagoland area that would let me take an NSX out for a spin?

Sure, the title is something like "NSX SNOBBERY" or something like that. It is about midway down the page on this section of the forum. Here is a link to it.
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000663.html

Edwardo, that's a pretty interesting thread. Way off-topic, but interesting.

------------------

Back