Any iPhone 5 Upgraders?!?! It's HERE!!

Those benchmarks look great, but some of them look inconsistent... The sad truth is that in a month or two, the iPhone 5's specs will already be inferior and in 6 months, it will be obsolete. Apple needs to change their product cycle to keep up, but build quality may suffer like the Korean brands. It is a leap frog effect. The only key difference between the Apple and the Android phones would be screen size.

I still firmly stand behind the belief that the iPhone has cornered the market for people with small hands. No wonder all the women love it. The cute interface helps too.

Sure, a 5 inch phone looks huge in a hand that belongs to some 5 footish woman with hands that measure 6.7 inches or shorter. A 5 inch phablet will fit any hand that is over 7.4 inches just fine. I don't even want to get started on average head sizes. Either way, the Galaxy Note fits in my pants pocket just fine, but then again I am a man that does not wear skin tight slacks :rolleyes: You are not lame if you sport a belt clip, but some people prefer just to slide it in the pants pocket. Again, fashionable, small and cute = women's market.

Not trying to knock the iPhone's quality here. The iPhone 5 is a proper evolution to the Apple lineup even if it is not as revolutionary as the first few iterations. It is top notch as far as material choice is concerned. I'm just stating that the little girl with big phone propaganda images are moot. It's just as silly as Samsung's recent campaign. However no one can deny that the Google/Korean top brands combo seems to deliver products that have left Apple's current direction questionable. The competition has the race turning tides every year it seems. The most sure thing I can say about Apple's recent prowess is that they have some serious lawyers, perhaps I should say solid patent lawyers to be more precise...

Those benchmarks look great, but some of them look inconsistent... The sad truth is that in a month or two, the iPhone 5's specs will already be inferior and in 6 months, it will be obsolete. Apple needs to change their product cycle to keep up, but build quality may suffer like the Korean brands. It is a leap frog effect. The only key difference between the Apple and the Android phones would be screen size.

I still firmly stand behind the belief that the iPhone has cornered the market for people with small hands. No wonder all the women love it. The cute interface helps too.

Sure, a 5 inch phone looks huge in a hand that belongs to some 5 footish woman with hands that measure 6.7 inches or shorter. A 5 inch phablet wll fit any hand that is over 7.4 inches just fine. I don't even want to get started on average head sizes. Either way, the Galaxy Note fits in my pants pocket just fine, but then again I am a man that does not wear skin tight slacks :rolleyes: You are not lame if you sport a belt clip, but some people prefer just to slide it in the pants pocket. Again, fashionable, small and cute = women's market.

Not trying to knock the iPhone's quality here. The iPhone 5 is a proper evolution to the Apple lineup even if it is not as revolutionary as the first few iterations. It is top notch as far as material choice is concerned. I'm just stating that the little girl with big phone propaganda images are moot. It's just as silly as Samsung's recent campaign. However no one can deny that the Google/Korean top brands combo seems to deliver products that have left Apple's current direction questionable. The competition has the race turning tides every year it seems. The most sure thing I can say about Apple's recent prowess is that they have some serious lawyers, perhaps I should say solid patent lawyers to be more precise...

Of course there will be faster phones in 6 mo. I would expect nothing less... There may be faster phones in 1 week. It's all about progress.

Just like cars. There's always going to be a faster one!

In related news....

If bigger is better I should just carry my iPad around and make Skype calls with it instead of carrying a phone... Could you imagine holding an iPad to your head to make phone calls?

On an aside I think it is strange how the original Motorola Razr Flip phone was so much smaller than phones these days. Just when phones were getting smaller, now we are moving the other way...

moto-razr2-official.jpg

Perhaps its because we Americans are getting wider as well...

I guess in a few years we'll be carrying bag phones again... Remember those?

Or maybe we'll be lugging around phones with 32" 3D 4K LED LCD screens!

My phone needs to be compact enough to fit in my scrub shirt pocket and light enough to not tear it off. I'm NOT going to wear a belt holster or carry a "murse".

Typical response from a iphone user. Enjoy putting the screen 10 inches from your face to read any web content then, and finally you can watch movies without letter boxing, congrats.

Now I do think the iphone 5 is really slick and I was going to come in here to say congrats until I saw such a absurd over exaggerated comment here.

Typical response from a iphone user. Enjoy putting the screen 10 inches from your face to read any web content then, and finally you can watch movies without letter boxing, congrats.

Now I do think the iphone 5 is really slick and I was going to come in here to say congrats until I saw such a absurd over exaggerated comment here.

To each his own. It's simply a matter of preference.

I simply started this thread to ask if anyone else had bought one here and to find out if they had considered an accidental coverage warranty and or had any suggestions regarding where to buy a lightning adapter.

As you will note, I did not make any comments regarding Android until the "typical" Android user began posting in this thread that clearly had nothing to do with Android or with Samsung.

Since Hugh decided to post an absurd video in my thread I chose to respond with an equally absurd exaggerated reply...

Last edited:
HAHA, the video that hugh posted was pretty funny though. My friend is still waiting for his iphone 5 to be shipped. I am very curious to check out the phone in person. I will not switch over, but this phone is what the iphone 4s should've been.

Replying on my 5.

Beauty about AppleCare is that you get your replacement right there in the apple store. No shipment required.

Quick comment on the 5. Hooked up to my fat pipe (20mbps) through wireless-N, this phone absolutely blazes on web page renderings. Pages come up instantly. The processing speed over the 4s is significantly better.

Replying on my 5.

Beauty about AppleCare is that you get your replacement right there in the apple store. No shipment required.

Quick comment on the 5. Hooked up to my fat pipe (20mbps) through wireless-N, this phone absolutely blazes on web page renderings. Pages come up instantly. The processing speed over the 4s is significantly better.

I totally agree. I got my iPhone onto my 5ghz N wireless on my home FIOS network and the speed is incredible.

Also LTE is a definite improvement over 3G. I can see what the android guys have been raving about!

As for the warranty I have my appt at the Apple store this afternoon to get our AppleCare+ warranties.

BTW my local Apple Store is out of the Lightning adapters until October. My online order is back ordered until then as well anyway...

Last edited:
Any opinions on SquareTrade vs AppleCare+ warranties?

I'm not going to use my phone until I pick a warranty...

I've never had to actually make a warranty claim w/ Square but want to know the pros and cons of each from anyone who has had to make a claim.

Some people just say to buy a nice case like an Otterbox or Lifeproof but they aren't infallible and really bulk up the phones. I'm thinking of just using it bare or with just a bumper (en route from Monoprice) and relying on the warranty should disaster strike.

I've had a good experience with SquareTrade with an item I bought on eBay. I was reimbursed with no hassle.

I'm a busy guy and my pantech ease allows me to actualy talk to someone else without messy cables or strings....its pretty heavy, and it was free after rebate:tongue:

Remember that large Android screens have been forced upon Samsung, HTC and other manufacturers for a number of reasons. And most of the reasons have to component availability and the use of off-the-shelf parts. Apple has many custom in-house components that help to make their device smaller. Android devices typically have larger batteries that are removable - and that removability does sacrifice space. Android phone manufacturers also were keen to jump on 1st gen LTE hardware which was positively huge. So, they made the best of the situation and marketed the larger screen size as a plus over the iPhone competition. Reasonable move I suppose.

-J

Remember that large Android screens have been forced upon Samsung, HTC and other manufacturers for a number of reasons. And most of the reasons have to component availability and the use of off-the-shelf parts. Apple has many custom in-house components that help to make their device smaller. Android devices typically have larger batteries that are removable - and that removability does sacrifice space. Android phone manufacturers also were keen to jump on 1st gen LTE hardware which was positively huge. So, they made the best of the situation and marketed the larger screen size as a plus over the iPhone competition. Reasonable move I suppose.

-J

Apple uses Samsung screens and internal components.

-J

The iPhone 5 battery is removable -- although it takes some doing,
and a tool for the 5-lobed screws Apple uses just to make it harder.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-5-Teardown/10525/1

Yeah, made to Apple custom specs. And there's not a lot of Samsung inside the iPhone 5.

Texas Instruments
Avago
Cirrus
STM
Broadcom
Qualcomm
Skyworks
Triquint
Sony
Apple CPU

It seems like Apple is quickly moving away from Samsung as a supplier. And for many of these suppliers above - the parts are custom and made to Apple specs.

-J

SCREEN

New for the iPhone 5 is Apple's patented in-cell screen technology. Here is a quote from the Wall Street Journal:

Andrew Rassweiler, the firm’s senior principal analyst for teardown services, noted that other smartphones use a distinct capacitive touchscreen assembly that is physically separate and placed on top of the display–with different suppliers for those two components. But the iPhone 5 partially integrates the touch layers into the display glass, which makes the handset thinner and reduces the parts needed.

Rival Samsung Electronics, which makes both smartphones and many components used inside them, supplies an integrated display-touchscreen module using an approach called “on-cell.” The in-cell approach represents a step beyond Samsung’s, in IHS iSuppli’s view

Here's a quote from AppleInsider:

Apple on Tuesday received a patent for touch screen LCD technology which integrates touch-sensing elements with display circuitry to create a thinner, lighter panel that will possibly make its way to the company's popular smartphone.

Apple's U.S. Patent No. 8,243,027 for a "Touch screen liquid crystal display" describes a variety of methods in which a touchscreen's touch-sensing elements are integrated within the LCD, unlike current technology which places the touch layer over a device's screen. The patent filing cross-references a number of properties regarding multi-touch and LCD technologies.

Here's a quote from Time magazine regarding one of the major advantages of this technology:

Improved screen imaging. The more layers light has to pass through to get to your eye, the less clear the image on the other side of those layers is going to be. Anyone who’s lived with a smartphone screen protector for a considerable period of time, then pulled it off to swap in a new one, has probably noticed how much sharper and clearer the display looks with the protector removed (even a razor-thin piece of plastic can negatively impact how crisp or clear text and images on a display look).

An “in-cell” display wouldn’t solve the screen protector issue, but it would eliminate a significant layer in the light-to-retina equation, theoretically improving the clarity of images and text with or without an optional aftermarket protective layer.

PROCESSOR

The new A6 processor in the iPhone 5 is an all new in-house design by Apple engineered from the ground up. Apple bought out a company called PA Semi in 2008 and that engineering talent was used to design this new chip. It is twice as fast as the previous A5 chip.

So far on day 1...

I used the iOS 6 Maps app powered by TomTom to navigate for my circuit of hospital rounds across town. Despite the media coverage of the "disaster" that is the new Maps app it really was quite accurate and had great voice directions. Although there may not be as much POI data displayed on screen, neither do the standalone GPS devices such as TomTom or Garmin or even built in nav systems on my Acuras and Infinitis.

Also I made extensive use of Siri in the car which allowed me to keep my hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. It seems improved since the previous iOS 5 version.

Finally, I got into one of the local Apple stores (still wall to wall with customers) and purchased my AppleCare+ accidental damage coverage today.

Yeah, made to Apple custom specs. And there's not a lot of Samsung inside the iPhone 5.

Texas Instruments
Avago
Cirrus
STM
Broadcom
Qualcomm
Skyworks
Triquint
Sony
Apple CPU

It seems like Apple is quickly moving away from Samsung as a supplier. And for many of these suppliers above - the parts are custom and made to Apple specs.

-J

Doesn't change the fact that Android went with larger screens because of availability of supplies. Last I checked, the iphone 4 was 26% Samsung internally, including the screen IIRC.

Android went with larger screens because that's what people wanted/that's what designers and corporate executives thought would serve the public/company better.

Apple is following suit because their ridiculous 3.5'' screen couldn't cut it anymore.

--------------
Anyways, my iphone 5 is amazing overall, but suffering from relatively poor battery life.

yay, an update...

Got my "one of your item has shipped (ZhengZhou, China)" email this morning for my iPhone 5 black-slate 32GB - AT&T, so I'm slightly less irascible now... ha!

Last week, I was given an amended delivery date of 10/5 by Apple despite my pre-order which was placed ~1hr of the go-live, whereas I could've seemingly walked-into a retailer yesterday/today & walked-out w/ an iPhone 5. Go figure...

I stepped into a Best Buy Mobile store at the mall earlier today, they kept the demo iPhone 5 handsets behind the front-desk & used a silicon bumper-case (for the beveled-edge & machined-backplate). I assume this protocol was in lieu of those who were intentionally damaging iPhones to publicize the build-quality attributes of the front screen-glass, anodized finish on the perimeter, machined aluminum-plate on the back, etc.

I believe the iPhone is now at the right size. The slim profile is near-ideal, the screen-size is noticeably more browser friendly, the improved mic/speakers are appreciable. Not sure if it'll fit in my workout/training armband (meant for iPhone 4/4S).

Considering that I hold my iPhone 4 in a similar realm as my NSX w/ regards to build-quality, fit/finish, usability, prowess/proficiency, design/execution, and form-factor + UI/UE... this iPhone 5 will be welcomed more for utility than design (as I'm still enamored visually/tactility w/ my iPhone 4), I may sell my iPhone 4 black 32GB - AT&T & just get a "free" iPhone 4 black 8GB - AT&T for posterity's sake (and iPod Touch functionality), as I have some eligible upgrades on my wireless-account. One of my biggest past regrets was re-selling my fav' book from college (History of Art & Architecture) & my fav' book from grad-school (Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy), and other lil' things from back-in-the-day, I'm somewhat sentimental w/ my iPhone 4 (as I was w/ my original Motorola RAZR,etc).

Last edited:
You know what I meant. Easily removable without tools. Meaning that there's no sliding-locking battery cover which takes up more room and detracts from the solid construction feel and aesthetics.
Yes, I understand. I'm saying replacing the iPhone battery is not as bad
as some operations on Apple products go. Do you know the joke--

How many Apple technicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
You can't; you swap out the motherboard.

The iPhone battery is easier to replace than, say, a surface mount fuse.

Got my iPhone 5 today. Verizon lte in my speed tests is 12-20x faster the my AT&T 4S iPhone at my house. It is as fast as my wifi network

I personally don't like how thin it is and it is one the very of feeling cheaper due to light weight.

I tethered my iPad (3) to it (even though it is also verizon lte) and am very happy with the speed.

Seems like these products are getting to be mature and it is going to be increasingly difficult to amaze the general population with more the incremental improvements. With this and all of the previous hype the FAD of iPhones may be reaching its peak.

Got my "one of your item has shipped (ZhengZhou, China)" email this morning for my iPhone 5 black-slate 32GB - AT&T, so I'm slightly less irascible now... ha!

Last week, I was given an amended delivery date of 10/5 by Apple despite my pre-order which was placed ~1hr of the go-live, whereas I could've seemingly walked-into a retailer yesterday/today & walked-out w/ an iPhone 5. Go figure...

I decided this Friday to get a pair of iPhone 5s and just called up Radio Shack. They had two ready to go with Verizon in white and black. No waiting, no pre-order, no drama. Oh yeah no more AT&T as well!!

1st impressions.
- I like iOS6
- screen size is good enough for me.
- battery life is poor
- feels a bit cheap compared to 4/4S

I decided this Friday to get a pair of iPhone 5s and just called up Radio Shack. They had two ready to go with Verizon in white and black. No waiting, no pre-order, no drama. Oh yeah no more AT&T as well!!

1st impressions.
- I like iOS6
- screen size is good enough for me.
- battery life is poor
- feels a bit cheap compared to 4/4S

This was first time for me ordering any phone online. With all of the issues ive had with my wireless plan changes as a result, i'm definitely going to buy in store in the future...

As far as the "feel" is concerned. I think the iPhone 5 definitely feels different being both lighter and thinner. I agree that the iPhone 4 and 4S felt more substantial but when I first got an iPhone 4 I thought it felt like I was carrying around a brick...

In comparison, I don't think the iPhone 5 feels cheap.

Cheap to me is my old plastic HTC smartphone that flexes a little when you twist the case and compresses a little when you press on it front to back. Tapping on the battery cover produces a slight rattle and a thin hollow plastic sound.

In contrast all of the surfaces of the new iPhone 5 are still aluminum or glass and I don't find that it has any flex or hollowness.

Last edited:
Well, the widespread concerns regarding the durability of the slate anodized finish on the black iPhone 5 has now led yet another person to go out and try to intentionally damage an in store display.

Here is the video:
http://youtu.be/GxFx3xktAbQ

It's upsetting that people these days have such a lack of respect for others property. On the other hand the anodized finish does appear to be much more durable than most people thought.

Back