Antitheft Concerns

Greetings
I have been an owner for a little over a week now. One of the guys at work asked me if I had a LoJack system installed on mine yet. He had his first BMW stolen and never recovered -- parking lot of a movie theater. He has one on his current one. Any thoughts? Do I just have "New Parent" syndrome?

If you want to get a Lojack, and/or any other security system, get one. However, it's worth noting that theft rates on the NSX are relatively low. (Just make sure you have insurance coverage!)

If you want to get a Lojack, and/or any other security system, get one. However, it's worth noting that theft rates on the NSX are relatively low. (Just make sure you have insurance coverage!)

I would think the number of NSX theft rates would be low seeing as how there are not too many of them out there. I also always thought that having a car that "stands out" in a crowd makes a difference too. If my car got stolen I would be on the phone with everyone I knew. Someone would see it :) I get told daily that people see me :biggrin: This is just my thoughts, no scientific fact, or any other knowledge about it. I could be totally wrong, guess I don't think like a thief though, so you never know.

Prevention is better then the cure..Lojack is good but get yourself A Good cut off switch or some kind of disabling device.. A Good nsx is hard to find and I'm sure the insurance company will give u less then your NSX is worth if its totaled..Just my .02 cents

If you are serious about preventing theft a fuel cut off switch can be made quite easily.

Lojack's real benefit is its ability to catch criminals. I don't consider it an anti-theft measure of much value. If someone wants your car they will just pay off a tow trucker and he WILL get your car if it's not in your garage. If someone really wants it they will just follow you until you park, have your car towed, and you can't stop them. A friend of mine had his integra type r flat bedded from the most visible and closest parking spot at the mall.

If your handy it best to install a cut-off switch yourself..so only u and whoever u tell knows where it located.. Keep in mine any device u use it main purpose is the slow a thief down I think any car can be stolen like the previous post said there car got towed...

As stated by a few previous posts, if a theif wants your car, they're going to get it. A co-worker of mine HAD a M3, with LoJack, it was stolen from our office parking lot @1pm on a bright clear day, parked in front of the office, by a window that he looked out on, the car was reported stolen within an hour of it's theft and never recoverred. To this day, we believe that the week before, when it had been to the dealer for service (the same one that had installed the LoJack) they had probably disabled the system (either a mechanic or someone in cohoots) before returning the car and then simply either flat bedded it out, or drove it away, never to be found. If a theif wants a car badly enough it will be gone in "less than 60 seconds". The only thing that you can hope to accomplish with anti theft devices of any kind is to slow them down enough that they will either abandon your car, or get caught in the act. I don't think that a person on this board that owns a NSX doesn't look back at least once when they leave it parked in a lot!!!

Of course, if he wants the car badly enough he will get it but the idea is to try to have him go on to an easier target. Have an aftermarket alarm (high end) w/ tilt sensors, multiple kill switches, backup battery for the siren and perimeter sensors installed by a qualified installer. You can also get an alarm/unit that will page you when the alarm in set off. They make alarms with anti carjack as well. It requires you to punch in a code (pad is hidden) when driving the car. Thief may jump in your car and drive it a 1/2 mile and the alarm will sound...car will shutdown etc. if code is not entered. If you don't mind not having a driver's side airbag get a quick release aftermarket steering wheel. Remove the wheel when you leave the car.

Jeff

Alarms are so annoying if they are set too sensitive and every sound sets them off. . .and no one really pays attention to them. I agree with a kill switch or fuel cutoff...I just rely on good insurance.

Alarms are so annoying if they are set too sensitive and every sound sets them off. . .and no one really pays attention to them. I agree with a kill switch or fuel cutoff...I just rely on good insurance.

Good insurance wow give me a break..most of the time they will not be fair with u have if u have alot of aftermarket goodies which most of us nsx psycho have plenty of..Good luck with that one.

Good insurance wow give me a break..most of the time they will not be fair with u have if u have alot of aftermarket goodies which most of us nsx psycho have plenty of..Good luck with that one.

Aftermarket goodies are always a bad investment...you get pennies on the dollar back when you sell them outright anyway. If you have a "Stated Value" coverage, you tell the insurance company how much you want for coverage and there is no haggling. If you just buy regular cheapo insurance and expect them to re-imburse for aftermarket mods then you are in for a surprise...I don't car what type of theft deterrent you have.

I have/had the same feeling as you when I got my NSX.

First thing I bought: quick release hub and lock from Erick.

Second thing I did: (like everyone else mentioned) put a kill switch, hidden and only you know where the switch is.

My main concern with someone stealing the NSX is more for a joy ride then taking it and stripping it. The NSX is rare and the community is very close that selling parts wouldn't get a thief nowhere. So, with that in mind, no steering wheel means its pretty hard to take the car for a joy ride.

I disagree. A well installed and designed alarm won't be fussy. Even if no one pays attention, the goal is to have multiple kill switches and a backup battery built into the siren. Also, a kill switch doesn't stop someone from car jacking you. The higher end alarm systems (Clifford) have this feature so the car shuts down if you don't enter the code after the thief has driven the car about 1/2 a mile.

Jeff

Back