Anti-virus software

The free Norton Anti-virus that came with my new Dell computer is about to expire, and a pop-up window keeps warning me to renew/update for a fee. Is this worth it? Any options? It seems to me this is almost like extortion-if I don't renew, they'll send some virus into my computer. My last computer, a Compaq, ran great until the warranty expired. Within a week, it started self-destructing. Coincidence? I think not. Any freeware out there that will do a good job with the virus situation?

If you watch your local adds, you can usually pick the Norton anti-virus up for $20-30. Or you can just uninstall the current version and download a new trial version.

If you don't mind paying for the Norton Live Update renewal fee, just go with that. If you are trying to save a little bread, go with AVG Antivirus. It is a free virus program for home users(non-business use). My roomate and I have been using this program for over six months now. It is a great program. It has saved my roomates machine twice now.

You can find this product at www.grisoft.com.

You will have to go through a small registration process. They will send you a key for the software immediately after you sign up. It is defianately worth the effort. You will never have another Norton pop up window invade your desktop again hehe.

I forgot to mention that one of the main reasons I use AVG Antivirus is because it is compatible with Windows XP. Not sure if you run XP, but if you do then there is another bonus.

Originally posted by NSXLNT:
The free Norton Anti-virus that came with my new Dell computer is about to expire, and a pop-up window keeps warning me to renew/update for a fee. Is this worth it? Any options? It seems to me this is almost like extortion-if I don't renew, they'll send some virus into my computer.

Don't be silly. The software will still work after that, but you won't be able to get updates to the virus definitions, that's all.

I think it's worth it to get updates to the virus definitions. But there are lots of other options for anti-virus software, too, such as McAfee ViruScan.

Back