Anti-Virus Programs... A scam?

Hi

A friend of mine called and had a problem. He had no activ antivirus and was now in trouble.

IE would not go to Malwarebytes site. And it would not go to AVG's site either.

I sneaked in a free AVG I had laying around on the server. It found a couple of things. But it would not upgrade the databases. I also installed Malwarebytes which found nothing. But it would not upgrade the datebases either. So something was wrong thats for sure.

I ran the online thing I linked to. And when I left his machine it had scanned 4% and found 14 things.

I will check on it tomorrow. I hope it have cleared up everything.

So the online thingy is not bad at all.

I will rund Eusing reg cleaner too tomorrow. And try to teach him some about how to keep his machine safe.

Regards

any other way of downloading these ?

Hi

I was not in front of the pc. I was at home and using Teamviewer to remote control the pc.

So what I did was to download Malwarebytes to my pc and then transfer the exe file to his pc and then install it.

I got it installed. But I could not upgrade the database of Malwarebytes.

I did the same thing with AVG. The one on net is a installer which goes online when you install it. That did not work for the same reason as Malwarebytes.

The last thing I did was to transfer a AVG free that I had laying around. That one I got installed and ran. I can't now remember if it found something.

The one thing that saved the day was the Onecare thing. It found a lot of things when I did a full scan. But it crashed when it tried to remove them.

Then I did a fast search and got one Koobla thing or something removed. After a reboot AVG upgrade worked and I had it run a full scan and it removed a lot of bad stuff.

If Onecare had not saved the day I have had to travel there and run a usb based updated thing to save the day.

Regards

Back