Another what car would you buy thread

Last edited:
Rob I am sorry but if you are making a change, make it REAL not some half assed I just want to get something mildly better kind of thing. The RL is a good car. Why do you want to give up all that it has just for a stick. Finding something for the same money will only net you an overall loss. I think as exciting as this change may sound, you need to hold off and put something more into it and improve in every area. You really cannot compare the refinement and comfort or reliability of the RL with a Saab. Have you seen an impreza interior versus your current car???

The only car I agree with here is the M5. The rest are clunkers in comparison. You only live once. Go forward or don't move. Don't go sideways.

Hahaha, I know what you're saying Dave. Believe me, there isn't a day I don't wish for my NSX back. I went from an NSX to a G35 sedan (it was OK). That got crushed from behind and I moved up the RL from there, but I *HATED* the idea of spending so much $$$ on a depreciating asset. I don't like spending a whole lot of $$$ on cars now that I have 2 kids. I am always thinking to myself I could put this $$ in the bank ... but then I don't have a car to drive. So I think in the end, I'd rather have a car that's an enjoyable driving experience than one that surrounds me with a great finish and tech gadgets. I really like the RL for getting me from A to B, it's just not an enthusiasts car. 99% of the time we're in the wife's Odyssey if it's a family trip so when I'm solo, I'd like to enjoy the driving experience. An older M5 would be amazing and I could swing the extra $$ for purchase, but I can't justify the $$$ when something breaks (though we have a great independent BMW shop down the street from me... arggh, stop thinking like that).

FWIW I have a friend who is an absolute BMW nut, he has owned so many M's, 3's, 5's, etc. he says they are not bad at all. He says so long as you are willing to do some minor things yourself and you know what to look out for, you are fine. He's cheap so I know he isn't spending all kinds of maintenance money. I think it takes a little research and some work to find a good car. But seriously, you cannot compare an M5 to anything else mentioned here.

If you want I can give you his email, he will help you. He is constantly on the forums and he buys and sells these things like he changes shoes. He knows what to look for. You'll just need a set of dedicated snow tires.

Hahaha, I know what you're saying Dave. Believe me, there isn't a day I don't wish for my NSX back. I went from an NSX to a G35 sedan (it was OK). That got crushed from behind and I moved up the RL from there, but I *HATED* the idea of spending so much $$$ on a depreciating asset. I don't like spending a whole lot of $$$ on cars now that I have 2 kids. I am always thinking to myself I could put this $$ in the bank ... but then I don't have a car to drive. So I think in the end, I'd rather have a car that's an enjoyable driving experience than one that surrounds me with a great finish and tech gadgets. I really like the RL for getting me from A to B, it's just not an enthusiasts car. 99% of the time we're in the wife's Odyssey if it's a family trip so when I'm solo, I'd like to enjoy the driving experience. An older M5 would be amazing and I could swing the extra $$ for purchase, but I can't justify the $$$ when something breaks (though we have a great independent BMW shop down the street from me... arggh, stop thinking like that).

Turbo is dead on that the M5 is far and above the better, more engaging driver's car against everything else we listed. I'm also glad his friend has had such good luck with them - it shoulds like he knows how to pick a good one and take care of it.

But let me make something very clear - maintaining a 12+ year old M5 is no joke. I used to buy and sell cars and motorcycles as a side business so I'm fairly skilled in picking good used vehicles. I've only owned two BMW cars and rented 1 BMW motorbike. The z3 didn't really give me any significant problems but I only drove it for a year and it wasn't an M. My E46 M3, however, is a different story.

Minor driveability problems (loud clucking in the rear, bizzarre clutch/transmission behavior) caused me to take it to the dealer <300 miles before the warranty was out. This was not a more complicated/expensive M5. This was not a car with significant miles (can't remember I think the warranty was only good to 36k but could be mistaken). This was far from an old car; more like 3 years old.

I came to pick it up about a week later without having previously talked to the service manager. He left me a message about picking it up and I ignored the rest of the VM. The warranty work totaled over $10,000. I literally became dizzy and I didn't even have to pay for it!

People's knee jerk reactions are "it must have been abused" or "it was a lemon" etc. I bought the car when it only had 20k miles from the original 55 y/o owner who didn't like the rough ride. You think he "abused" it? I drove it hard but I never tracked or autocrossed it. I drove my previous/other cars at least as hard as the M3 (M3 tires were so expensive I was gentle). You think a 12 y/o M5 was never driven hard? I have some great ocean front property in Wyoming I'll sell you cheap.

Do all M cars have massive maintanence bills? Nope. But a lot do. And I'd be willing to bet every single 10+ year old M5 driven regularly is going to give you at least one shell shocker of a repair bill sooner than later. I owned that M3 in 2004 or 2005 and I haven't seriously considered another one since.

Even my nearly brand new 2012 $15k USD BMW motorbike I rented in Spain this summer broke down on me twice! And they couldn't even fix it, I had to ride it while malfunctioning across 8 countries! Still love driving BMW's though.

Last edited:
Rob you know which ones my friend concentrates on buying, driving, and re selling? High mileage ones. He bought an M5 for 8k. Fixed some minor thing, drove it a year, and doubled his profit on resale. He just knows his stuff. That's the whole key. Otherwise, keep the RL, get a used miata, which is just sheer joy... Even the old ones. Put the top down, shift the perfect shifter, engage the perfect clutch, turn the perfect steering. And if anything on it breaks, it's $5. It'll be YOUR car. I think everyone should have a miata at some point in their life. I have to tell you I almost almost prefer that to my NSX. that's how good some of them are. I checked on insurance for one through Costco. $400/year. Gas money can come from the change you find lodged in the seats.

The Saab Aero 9-2x *IS* a WRT, I thought about those as well. My friend has a Suburu GT and was recommending that (which apparently is just a large WRX sedan for the most part).

Reasserting my earlier suggestion, this is the route I would take.

Rob you know which ones my friend concentrates on buying, driving, and re selling? High mileage ones. He bought an M5 for 8k. Fixed some minor thing, drove it a year, and doubled his profit on resale. He just knows his stuff. That's the whole key. Otherwise, keep the RL, get a used miata, which is just sheer joy... Even the old ones. Put the top down, shift the perfect shifter, engage the perfect clutch, turn the perfect steering. And if anything on it breaks, it's $5. It'll be YOUR car. I think everyone should have a miata at some point in their life. I have to tell you I almost almost prefer that to my NSX. that's how good some of them are. I checked on insurance for one through Costco. $400/year. Gas money can come from the change you find lodged in the seats.

Interesting pick with the Miata. I never would have considered it, but from a pure driving point of view (assuming not back seat is required), it's gotta be a blast on the right roads. But if you're going to consider the Miata, might as well look at S2000, also.

A miata is dirt cheap to buy and maintain. Less than an S2K and IMO, a more fun car. I'm saying he can keep the RL, drop 5K on a miata and have some serious fun late at night when the kids are asleep, going to get groceries when the wife needs something, early mornings when there's mist in the valley and dew on the leaves. LOL... Rob if you think a stick is fun you should try a stick convertible. You and wind in your hair for 5K. No maintenance to worry about. Think about it :wink:

I'm like that car salesman talking schwarzenegger into a car in true lies. LOL

Dave, you suck. Do you know how many times I made fun of my old keyboard player's miata? I'd have a hell of a lot of crow to eat if I ever bought one. Been trading emails with your friend, very knowledgeable guy. Let me get the RL detailed up and get the service records together and you can check it out.

Last edited:
A miata is dirt cheap to buy and maintain. Less than an S2K and IMO, a more fun car. I'm saying he can keep the RL, drop 5K on a miata and have some serious fun late at night when the kids are asleep, going to get groceries when the wife needs something, early mornings when there's mist in the valley and dew on the leaves. LOL... Rob if you think a stick is fun you should try a stick convertible. You and wind in your hair for 5K. No maintenance to worry about. Think about it :wink:

I'm like that car salesman talking schwarzenegger into a car in true lies. LOL

I would suspect that what you are saying about the Miata/S2000 is all true (I have no experience with either). And I have considered buying my wife one.

Rob, I currently drive a convertible, 6-speed car. It's awesome... especially on mountain or rural roads. I would recommend a wind deflector though, to diminish some of the wind noise at highway speeds.

So a V12 750 iL is just a headache waiting to happen?

Turbo is dead on that the M5 is far and above the better, more engaging driver's car against everything else we listed. I'm also glad his friend has had such good luck with them - it shoulds like he knows how to pick a good one and take care of it.

But let me make something very clear - maintaining a 12+ year old M5 is no joke. I used to buy and sell cars and motorcycles as a side business so I'm fairly skilled in picking good used vehicles. I've only owned two BMW cars and rented 1 BMW motorbike. The z3 didn't really give me any significant problems but I only drove it for a year and it wasn't an M. My E46 M3, however, is a different story.

Minor driveability problems (loud clucking in the rear, bizzarre clutch/transmission behavior) caused me to take it to the dealer <300 miles before the warranty was out. This was not a more complicated/expensive M5. This was not a car with significant miles (can't remember I think the warranty was only good to 36k but could be mistaken). This was far from an old car; more like 3 years old.

I came to pick it up about a week later without having previously talked to the service manager. He left me a message about picking it up and I ignored the rest of the VM. The warranty work totaled over $10,000. I literally became dizzy and I didn't even have to pay for it!

People's knee jerk reactions are "it must have been abused" or "it was a lemon" etc. I bought the car when it only had 20k miles from the original 55 y/o owner who didn't like the rough ride. You think he "abused" it? I drove it hard but I never tracked or autocrossed it. I drove my previous/other cars at least as hard as the M3 (M3 tires were so expensive I was gentle). You think a 12 y/o M5 was never driven hard? I have some great ocean front property in Wyoming I'll sell you cheap.

Do all M cars have massive maintanence bills? Nope. But a lot do. And I'd be willing to bet every single 10+ year old M5 driven regularly is going to give you at least one shell shocker of a repair bill sooner than later. I owned that M3 in 2004 or 2005 and I haven't seriously considered another one since.

Even my nearly brand new 2012 $15k USD BMW motorbike I rented in Spain this summer broke down on me twice! And they couldn't even fix it, I had to ride it while malfunctioning across 8 countries! Still love driving BMW's though.

Man I drove a newer miata a few months ago. I know it gets crap for being small
or wimpy or not manly but the experience was sublime. If you really like driving and precision, what Mazda does with this car is nothing short of phenomenal. What did Jeremy clark say? On a scale of 1-10 it's a 90.

e39 M5
genI CTS-V
STi

can't get 996, cts-v, 135i, or newer STI's with the budget.

I have owned 2 e39 m5 and all I can say is that they are excellent drivers car and with small mods they do go like stink. Hands down still one of the best 4 door sedans around. I have drove my friends w211 E55, newer CTS-V, Quattroporte gts, Porsche Panameras, but i will still go back to the e39 M5 if i ever needed a sedan :biggrin: it is THAT good.

HOWEVER, mpg is quite horrible (i do a lot of city driving) which will add to cost of running, and maintenance cost is generally around 30-50% more expensive than regular bmw parts. You are buying an M so expect to pay more. Also, it is about time that more and more major things are going to be wrong with electricals and some mechanical, although nothing major, they will cost you. So if you're looking for reliable car, don't bother. I say don't get one, cause once you've tasted the sweetness of the m5, you can never go back to anything else :biggrin:

Back