Another NSX or something else?

Hey everybody,

A friend of mine has had his '92 NSX since new, I believe. He's now looking to replace it and his first thought was to get another NSX, probably an '03 or '04 in the $60-70K range. Knowing that he wants a targa (making the NSX a great option), is there anything else out there that he should be looking at?

BTW, he could afford to spend more or less than the $60-70K - if there's an amazing car out there for $80-100K, please post!

thanks,
Andrew

I love my NSX, and have been driving it daily for the last ~4.5 years. But as with most die hard car nuts, we are ALWAYS looking to see whats out there and how our $$ could be applied to further our version of automotive nirvana. I have owned Supras, M3s, BMW850, 300ZXTT, etc... 5 years in a car is a lot for me.

I recently did a hard look around to see what ~$75k would buy me. Given my car is paid off, I could finance $35k and be driving something newer/faster... So I looked around.

Given the criteria that most car guys like to be 'special' I narrowed the field to two options. (Bang for the buck a vette or Z06, but anyone reading this probably isn't a 'vette guy')

Autotrader currently has a couple low mile (~15kmi) Porsche 911 Turbos of the 2002 or 2003 variety priced right at $75k. The initial depreciation hit has been taken, and that car will probably be worth similar money two years from now. Pretty hard car to argue with.

And to my suprise one of my favorite body style cars, with a world supercar class engine has also fallen into the ~$80k range. Not that there are many for sale, but there are a couple... You can find a 2004 Mercedes SL 600 with ~15-25kmiles. Note the 600 is a twin turbo V12. ~490-500hp/ 590tq. Yeah you will look like every other SL500, but a very slick power train to savor... And too bad the body will be timeless. :wink:

Bottom line though... I am keeping my NSX.. and maybe just upgrading the stereo to fix my main gripe.

A few other sports cars in that price range, in addition to what was mentioned above:

New Porsche Cayman
Used Ferrari F355
Used Porsche 911 TT (993)

aralls said:
A friend of mine has had his '92 NSX since new, I believe. He's now looking to replace it and his first thought was to get another NSX, probably an '03 or '04 in the $60-70K range. Knowing that he wants a targa (making the NSX a great option), is there anything else out there that he should be looking at?
No. He knows what the NSX has to offer. He obviously loves the car. That's what he should get.

(Note - I have a friend who feels the same way about 911's, so this isn't just a matter of my telling anyone and everyone to get an NSX...)

Its kind of scary if you polled 20 NSXers, we'd have a pretty limited list of cars that we have owned, or want to own. We all think thru the same equations.

My list of two above also had the criteria of needing to be my 'only' car and needing that degree of reliability. (And warranty if I am making car payments again) The F355 is probably one of my favorite 'attainable' F cars... but forget it when it comes to maintenance.

As far as the Cayman... Nice car, but why not get a used 911 or 911 turbo? Only if you reall need that new car smell. (And being upside down, financially in it for a few years) Maybe thats why I haven't bought a car 'new' yet??

He could look at the 996TT or 997, but they are not unique like the NSX. F355is a money pit. The SL600 is fast, but its luxury, not sport. There is almost no feel in that car when compared to an NSX. Trust me I had one. He may want to just look at a used Maserati Grand Sport, because in the use market they are a great deal... and there is a spyder available. Honestly, I can't recommend anything over a newer NSX. For many reasons. And I was in his shoes but with a slightly higher budget just a few months ago.

As far as Cayman, an optioned out one can easily run to 80K. Porsche is notorious for super expensive options. They have a list that is just out of control as are the prices for them. You can spend $95,000 in options on a Cayenne Turbo... If he gets a cayman, I would order a BASE Cayman S. And now there will be a regular non-S Cayman for less money.... just adding to its generic see it everyday nature.

aralls said:

If he wants a Targa, the NSX is the ONLY option. The only other car I can think of is the Porsche 911 but they haven't made a real Targa since the 80's. The 996 Targa isn't a real Targa anymore, more like a coupe with a larger sunroof.

Good choice, I do not see anything that will replace the NSX but I can see adding a 360 Modena for me at least. But the NSX is truly unique and I see nothing that replaces it......Steve

I would get a new 997 turbo if he can get his hands on one!!! If he can wait, go to the nearest Nissan dealship and put money down on the new GTR!!!

Last edited:
KooLaid said:
Ariel Atom. Then save up that other $30,000+ till the new NSX, Nissan GT-R, Toyota Supra and Lexus LFA arrives. Oh and Z07 vette.

I second that! Ariel Atom!:eek: :eek: best thing 35k can buy!

A 300 HP atom with a few options is like 75K. Its still very cool... but... its not a real car. Its a great toy. Its practicality level is zero.

KooLaid said:
I heard they were like $35k-$40k??? Well to start. With that car even 220 hp will push it to 60 mph in under 3 seconds.

That is about right, they start at 20k UK pounds (40k$)... but I doubt they costs the same after the conversion for the US market.

Anyway also in Europe real prices after the customization is more in the 30k pounds (60k$) range. ;)

http://www.arielatom.com/index.php?option=com_contentform&Itemid=49

I priced it out a little over base price around 38k and figured I would do aftermarket my self for another 10k or so (Supercharger) but then after researching more I figured at the time they were not doing them in the US with the honda powerplant at first, only the EcoTEC this was one reason I wanted to wait besides the Insurance issues in some states and registration is also a bit of a pain. But yes, they are available here in the US by Brammo Motorsports as the Kit assembly plant. I belive by now... since when I was serious was 6-7 months ago. I checked there progress on the ariel forums recently and it seemed as though PA already has one cleard, they actually had to register it first in PA then transfer to Virgina or something (Virginia wouldent let it go through) and some other guy waited 4-5 months to be legal registered, from the time it got to his garage:eek: that would drive me insane:eek: Having it in the garage but not being able to drive it, just stare at the garage for 6 months:eek: , it still seems too tricky for me, and Insurance seems to be on a case by case basis through already some reputable isurance companys but It depends on there mood, Most owners that have gotten them on the road the fastest are .....:biggrin: self insured.... must be nice!

But in all actallity the atom is no where near practical and on public roads no where near safe seriously its a death trap, Im likley to get T-Bard at a intersection here in the city and lose my life (on a bike your sitting up higher meaning you get thrown off, in an atom your under a truck dead instantly) . And I decided to spend my money more wisely and beat off the burning pocket sydrome. NSX I will enjoy more often and I dont need any more toys. In reality who needs to go that damm fast! Im on the track no more than 1-2 month during the summer. I rather have really fun car to take out for a long distance trip and cruise around during the day, In reality I mean how often does anyone use the actual capability of there car? Street racing need not apply....

Last edited:
Let me get this straight..

you were considering SUPERCHARGING an ariel atom?!?!?!??!?!:eek: :eek:

What is 0-60 in 2.3 not fast enough for you? you want to do it in under 1 second? or perhaps attept to go back in time?!?!

I have always known you were a straight up psycho patricio.. this just proves my point...

I LIKE YOUR STYLE!!!

SexyNsx said:
Let me get this straight..

you were considering SUPERCHARGING an ariel atom?!?!?!??!?!:eek: :eek:

What is 0-60 in 2.3 not fast enough for you? you want to do it in under 1 second? or perhaps attept to go back in time?!?!

I have always known you were a straight up psycho patricio.. this just proves my point...

I LIKE YOUR STYLE!!!

:eek: :eek: NOOOO. Supercharging the base model there buddy, the performance numbers you quote are from the 300hp 75k model the base is ony 200hp or so its a slightly tuned honda 2liter. it not blazinly fast but more like 13 sec 1/4 thats why I said supercharge for 10k rather that pay another 25k in upgrades to get to the next base 300hp model which does go up to 75k if fully optioned with carbon everywhere.

Im not that much of a looney! WOW can you imagine supercharging the 300hp model! you would need wheelie bars:eek:

If you want exotic, there are a few other cars worth considering, although I too would not take anything but what I have -- CTSC'd and otherwise upgraded NSX for mucho less. Here are a couple worth looking into:

Pantera GT-5 -- $80K buys a really unique and high-performing mid-engined car, with American muscle pushing it.

Detomaso Mangusta -- $80K, but very, very hard to find. Predecessor to the earlier Panteras.

Ferrari's -- 355, 465, and 348's.

Lotus Esprit's -- 4 cyl turbos up to 8's, for well less then the $80K.

Lotus Exige -- For well less then the $80K. Like a go-kart -- 1700 lbs, 13.8 sec 1/4 mile and tons of fun.

Lambos -- The Countach, which I have always loved, but which has some serious reliability, maintenance and cost issues. A Diablo may be had with a few miles on it (25k+/-) for just under $100K (but be careful on this one too).

Porsche's -- as mentioned in this thread.

Kit Cobra's -- The absolute top end of the kit Cobra range o choices can be had for $55K+. The quality and performance of the Cobra's in this range can be shockingly good. Make sure you only consider ERA and Superperformance. There is British one that starts with an "L" that I am forgetting the name of that is made from an original Cobra mold and is supposed to be the best in terms of quality, but you're looking at $100K for this one.

Viper/Z06 -- For those Muscle car types these provide ltos of bang for the $$$.

Just some thoughts.

What are we hearing the replacement of the NSX will cost?

Patricio said:
:eek: :eek: NOOOO. Supercharging the base model there buddy, the performance numbers you quote are from the 300hp 75k model the base is ony 200hp or so its a slightly tuned honda 2liter. it not blazinly fast but more like 13 sec 1/4 thats why I said supercharge for 10k rather that pay another 25k in upgrades to get to the next base 300hp model which does go up to 75k if fully optioned with carbon everywhere.

Im not that much of a looney! WOW can you imagine supercharging the 300hp model! you would need wheelie bars:eek:

Here is the UK the Ariel comes in three guises, Civic Type S (160bhp), Integra Type R (220bhp) and Supercharged with 275bhp. The problem is that their CoG is not good and the engine is transverse. I'm not sure if you can get them over in the states but you can get a Caterham CSR with 260bhp which is much better, if a little more money.

caterham-seven_csr_260.jpg

I personally wouldn't buy another NSX, variety is the spice of life and all that, but then i can't see us selling our one ever!

I'm going through exactly the same thing right now. I've narrowed down my choices to the new Cayman S, an '02-'05 NSX and the new Vette. I dropped the 02-03 911 Turbo because the warranty is either totally run out or about to be and, as most of you surely know, when you start repairing a Porsche,,,,,,,,,,, talk about a "money pit" !!! :eek:

As some might remember I want an Imola Orange NSX. "Lost" out on 2 of them recently and the one left ('02) someone who's opinion I trust told me it's a "rat".......

Since I expect this car to be an every day driver and my only car, the Cayman S might be left out because of interior size (It's performance is really terrific though - GREAT balance too). The NSX has an amazingly spacious interior; in feeling, if not in actual measurement. The Vette *seems* fairly spacious (relatively speaking of course) but the Cayman feels a bit too small (and I had an M Roadster and knew within a week it wasn't going to be around long for this very reason)

Having the "new car bug" is really getting to me. I may actually decide and make a deal today ! :smile:

NSXGuy, why do you want a dime a dozen car? trust me the NSX is worth its rarity alone. Just get another color man, no NSX is ugly... and believe me you will really enjoy the thing.

Back