And now, introducing... Layla!

Those who enjoyed meeting Cosmo, the bearded collie, at NSXPO 2001 in Wisconsin will be happy to hear that he is now a father. There are seven offspring in the litter born in late September - five girls and two boys. Six of the puppies are running around Southern California. Layla has come to Illinois to live with her daddy.

wNDY1MzAxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Last edited:
Hi

I see one of the puppies look a little bit tired..what have you fed it to get that nice blueish fur? :D

Regards

Hey Ken congrats...I think I can top you though. We had two Liters of Newfoundland Pups seven and five=12 talk about busy Man O Man...We have to pick up a Girl who is flying into O'Hare next Monday night from Denmark to take one home with her so far nine are gone. This week the first Liter is nine weeks old the other is eight. So that's why I bought myself a early Xmas present the Stoptech BBK.

Good luck with the Pup!!!

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Last edited:
This site is going to the dogs!! Congrats Steven and Ken for the new additions.

Joel said:
The concept of separating the family at such a young age seems heart-renching.
Eight weeks or so is the most common age when puppies go to their new homes. It's when they're able to start learning commands, housebreaking, etc - and they are very adaptable and able to fit into a new environment. It's also when they've had their first round of shots (so they are no longer relying on immunities passed down from the mother) and when they can be evaluated for personality, potential for conformation (show quality), etc.

Joel said:
Do you keep in touch with the family that owns the pups?
Five of the puppies (including Layla) are in their five new homes (all but ours are in California), and a sixth will be picked up next week. The breeder (the owner of the mom) is keeping one. As usual for reputable breeders, both the breeder (in California) and the owner of the sire (that's us) have contact information for all the new owners and will be available with advice and assistance with problems.

In our case some of the people taking them are friends...And a few were inquiring about them before they were born so we could make sure they went to good Owners and good Homes.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Glad to hear of the addition.

Three weeks ago we had our dog put down after 18 years. It was, and still is a real bummer. She loved riding in the black NSX, but she never took a drive in the red one. I decided to get the red one detailed before I went to pick up her remains. Wanted to make sure she rode home in style for the last time.

Dogs just love ya for who you are.

Doug

Dtrigg said:
Glad to hear of the addition.

Three weeks ago we had our dog put down after 18 years. It was, and still is a real bummer. She loved riding in the black NSX, but she never took a drive in the red one. I decided to get the red one detailed before I went to pick up her remains. Wanted to make sure she rode home in style for the last time.

Dogs just love ya for who you are.

Doug

This is why I will never own a dog. It's just too hard. I don't think I can deal with that. My aunt we

Congrats Ken! Glad you guys made it back home safe and sound. The pup is cute as a button. ;)

T Bell[/i] [B]Hmmmmm 12 puppies. over $1000 a piece. Hmmmmm Comptech. Stoptech said:
This is why I will never own a dog. It's just too hard. I don't think I can deal with that.
Losing a dog is a tragedy, to be sure. But it is almost inevitable when their lifespan is about one fifth of ours. What this means is that we are likely to be around long enough to see them through their old age, and "pay them back" (tolerate some inconvenience to our own lives) for a couple of their senior years, in exchange for all the years of love and unquestioned affection they give us all the years beforehand.

What this also means is that, during a lifetime, I will have the opportunity to enjoy the company of many dogs over the years, each one unique, and to give each a normal, healthy, long (for them) life, free from pain, hunger, and want. I've lost dogs to medical problems as well as old age, and it hurts - but I wouldn't have it any other way. Deciding to have a dog reminds me of the expression, "'Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all."

However, those who would enjoy animal companions whose lifespans are comparable to ours (which presents other issues like contingency plans in case they outlive us) may wish to look into some of the exotic birds (parrots, cockatiels, etc)...

It is a good thing that Steve's better half shows them herself!!! She also used champion dogs of her own to breed. So having $18,000 of puppy value will more than cover past and future costs. Plus if you really love the hobby you would still do it even if you lost $18,000. It is well worth it because of the people you meet, and the excitement that the hobby brings you, just like club racing! :D

Ken, my girlfriend has a water turtle (with red cheeks - the turtle, not the girl). I guess these turtles live also very long under good conditions. The rest of our zoo is 3 cats (didn't you mention in another thread that cats are good for the enviroment?);)

Layla is a beautiful dog. I hope you and she have a long and happy relationship, and I hope all her siblings find equally positive living arrangements. Your obvious concern for the well being of the animals that come into your life is heartwarming, and I am sure you all benefit immensely from your interactions.
I pose the following questions here, not to disparage anyone here, but to offer " food for thought" , as it were....
Did you know that the American Humane Society estimates that in the United States alone 54 million dogs and cats are euthanized every year. Aren't each one of them unique?
Isn't it possible to enjoy the company of one of them, saving them from an untimely end? Don't they have needs also? Are they any less capable of giving and receiving affection? Why is an animal that is "bred" any more deserving of a good life, free from pain and hunger and want, than any of those that are euthanized? Just wondering...
Peace to all,
Keith

NSXLNT said:
I pose the following questions here, not to disparage anyone here, but to offer " food for thought" , as it were....
Did you know that the American Humane Society estimates that in the United States alone 54 million dogs and cats are euthanized every year. Aren't each one of them unique?
Isn't it possible to enjoy the company of one of them, saving them from an untimely end? Don't they have needs also? Are they any less capable of giving and receiving affection? Why is an animal that is "bred" any more deserving of a good life, free from pain and hunger and want, than any of those that are euthanized? Just wondering...
Keith makes an excellent argument here. And there is no "right" or "wrong" answer to it.

Those who breed purebred dogs usually do so for the betterment of the breed in some way. Often, but not always, this takes the form of breeding for "conformation" (conforming to the standard for a particular breed - for example, breeding bearded collies that look like a bearded collie is "supposed to" look like). Sometimes, as with our recent litter, there are additional attributes, such as herding ability for herding dogs. (Both Cosmo and Tsootzie, the mom, have won numerous titles for herding sheep, and we intend to train Layla to herd, too.) Without this important part of the dog world, you would not be able (as easily) to get a Newfoundland puppy with the expectation that it will grow up to look and act like a Newfoundland when it becomes an adult. That is the argument for purebred dogs.

The fact that so many dogs are euthanized is indeed sad. Many of these dogs would make wonderful pets, for folks who are simply looking for a good companion, of any breed. Sometimes you can even get purebred dogs that way. Most of the breed organizations have an active "rescue" program, so that if a bearded collie turns up in a pound, the pound can call a contact who will retrieve the dog and find a good home, thus avoiding the euthanasia. We rescued Chevy, a bearded collie, at the age of two; he lived to a ripe old age of 15 1/2 and lived with Cosmo when Cosmo was growing up. And Chevy was indeed a great dog, and just as deserving of a good life as Cosmo or Layla. Here is Chevy:

wNDY1MzA3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

I would encourage anyone looking for a great animal companion to check out his/her local animal shelter. Many of them have websites where you can check out the animals available for adoption. (Here's the one in my town.) When you walk in, be prepared for love at first sight. And even if you are not looking for a companion, the animal shelters can use all the help they can get - including contributions of money and goods (not just dog items like dog food and crates, but also office supplies, etc). They are also a tremendous place for animal lovers who might be interested in volunteering their time to help out. There are both public and private shelters, sometimes (as in Chicago, here and here) existing in close proximity and coordinating their efforts on behalf of the animals. All try to avoid euthanasia, but it is a fact of life that most shelters are constrained by capacity, labor, and finances, and this is sometimes the only alternative after a dog has not found a home within a certain period of time. All can use help. Please keep your local animal shelter in mind when looking for a pet, when looking for a worthy place for your donations at this holiday season, and when considering volunteer opportunities.

Last edited:
I never knew Ken was a dog nut as well, both of your dogs are cute Ken.

As for the question on breeding vs. rescuing, it's obviously a tough one.

I suppose we could stop the breeding of pure bred dogs all together, this would give homes to many (but not all) of the animals in shelters, and thus fewer of them would be euthanized. However over time the current breeds would all but disappear. Clearly people have an affinity for a variety of breeds for a variety of reasons (their looks, behavior, and skills for working (police dogs, herding dogs, etc.).

The only solution in my mind is for those of you that do not need a pure bred dog to consider adopting one from a shelter. And for those that do need a purebred dog for whatever reason to consider adopting one from many of the rescue organizations for the various breeds.

The bottom line is that if you have a place in your heart for a dog that you give it all the love it deserves. Dogs are wonderful companions and make life better!

In September my lab had a seizure that lasted about 5 minutes or so. This was very scary for her and us as well. We took her to the vet and he said everything was fine no problems. Today around 2:30 she had another one that lasted about 10-12 minutes. She fell to the floor, legs stretched out, claws fully extended and trembling uncontrollably. Very upsetting to see with a six year old otherwise healthy dog.

Hey Ken I've always been curious, as the owner of the sire what is the usual deal between yourself and the owners of the female dog? Do they pay you to send your dog out to CA for a few days of enjoyment with their dog?:) Just always been curious.

Does anyone have any good source for getting a dog??

My fiance really really like the toy size Mini American Eskimo, but I couldn't find any source locally, and I'm no sure if I should trust the breeders that I found over the internet.

Back