all you workout buffs..

Dorian Yates oftern talked about his "One Set" Workouts. All that meant was he did a ton of sets but only one with max weight and busted ass.

redshift said:
I don't get it... there is no instance where you should do fewer reps than you are capable of (+/-). That means that if you can do 12 reps with a particular weight, then do 12 (11 if you don't want to go to complete muscular failure)... don't do fewer though. I highly doubt the 1 set method would be effective at all - maybe in one independent study where they measured maximum heart rate - or maybe if you're a powerlifter. Maybe there is some truth behind it though... you SHOULD treat every set as if it is your only set.

Of course, this method does give you more time for the finer things in life... like going out and what not. :biggrin: :biggrin:

well for 1 set, i think the idea is that you approach maximum muscle load by the 12th set, so something like doing 12 reps of 80% of your maximum weight or so. lol i dont really know though :biggrin:

i remember hearing about this a few years ago, i guess its a hot topic 1 vs 3
anyhow here is some information, though, who know :biggrin:

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/HQ/01627.html
http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1997/02feb/pollock.htm
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/strengthtraining/a/strength_strat.htm

then again, it is true that you can always find studies that are totally at odds with each other over the same issue :biggrin:

NetViper said:
Dorian Yates oftern talked about his "One Set" Workouts. All that meant was he did a ton of sets but only one with max weight and busted ass.
I get it now! :biggrin: I know all about this method where the last set in a particular exercise is heavy and to absolute failure - forced reps and such. Dorian Yates was/is one of the greats.

I'm very similar to you. Asian, 5'8', about 155lbs., 28 years old and a hardcore white rice eater. Here's what I've learned in the past 10 years of working out, excercising and eating right.

1. Genetics is more important than diet and diet is more important than excercise, in terms of how you are going to ultimately look.
2. Working out a more balanced and consistent/frequent routine will yield better results. In other words, 30 minutes a day for 6 days is much better than working out 1 hour a day for 3 days.
3. It really doesn't matter the order or structure in which you work out as long as you properly fatigue your muscle and give them enough time to recover and repeat.
4. In order to properly spark proper muscle growth you must exert at least 85% of you maximum capacity. In otherwords, lifting 10 lbs a hundred times until you fatigue will not give the same muscle growth as lifting 50 lbs eight times until fatigue. That's way walkers, runners and cyclist don't have huge muscular legs (at least compared to body builders)
5. Your body can only process so much protien during a given period, so loading up on protien (i.e. pigging out at the buffett) adds no muscular growth benefit, even before or after a intense workout.
6. Work bigger muscles down to small. If you work your triceps first, they may be too fatigued to properly stabilize a bench press. In which case you don't fully utilize your pectoral muscles.
7. Your worst diet enemies are trans fatty acids and sodas. Avoid them at all costs!
8. Working a muscle group will not reduce fat in that area. E.G. doing sit ups will not slim your waist.
9. Never sleep on a full stomach and I highly recommend not eating at least 2-3 hours before going to sleep.
10. Find your time. For some it's the morning, for others, it's late at night. I usually found that it doesn't work well to try and force a workout time that's set more to schedule than body clock.

Hope that helps. Not saying it will work for everyone, but it's worked for me over the years.

Back