alignment and corner balancing

I just bought a set of KW3's and plan on installing it this weekend. I know i should get an alignment but what is your opinion on corner balancing? Is it necessary for a daily driven car? I have never tracked my car nor do i plan on tracking. I've read posts on here and they say its mainly for track purposes. Just want to get the most out of my coilovers as its going to be a change from the koni's.

I just bought a set of KW3's and plan on installing it this weekend. I know i should get an alignment but what is your opinion on corner balancing? Is it necessary for a daily driven car? I have never tracked my car nor do i plan on tracking. I've read posts on here and they say its mainly for track purposes. Just want to get the most out of my coilovers as its going to be a change from the koni's.

IMO, no need for corner balancing unless you do track the car. Of course, just keep the number of turns on the height adjustment consistent with the opposing side. This should be close enough.

Jeff

I just installed my kw v3 last weekend. I eventually will get alignment done soon when I have time, probably won't corner balance cause I don't track. The weird but good thing is, after the installation my car still tracked straight. Steering wheel isn't even off centered.

the shop i was going to go to for the corner balance no longer does it so i just got the alignment. However, i called almost every shop in vegas and not one did corner balancing. Most of the responses i got were..."Whats that?" And everyone else told me to go to the LV motor speedway. So for what i gathered its more like a track thing to corner balance. And i think the consensus is that not everyone corner balances. For a DD with coilovers i think it would be safe to say that the majority of US do not corner balance. For those that have corner balanced and never tracked their car i would like to know what your opinions are with the corner balancing.

the shop i was going to go to for the corner balance no longer does it so i just got the alignment. However, i called almost every shop in vegas and not one did corner balancing. Most of the responses i got were..."Whats that?" And everyone else told me to go to the LV motor speedway. So for what i gathered its more like a track thing to corner balance. And i think the consensus is that not everyone corner balances. For a DD with coilovers i think it would be safe to say that the majority of US do not corner balance. For those that have corner balanced and never tracked their car i would like to know what your opinions are with the corner balancing.

I would have to say the car feels very planted and go kart like. I got my car corner balanced and aligned by Darin at West End in Gardena, CA.

He's one of the best guys around and people would have to wait two weeks out to see him.

It doesn't cost that much to do it so why not get it done? You are only using a portion of the coilovers potential by not getting it corner balanced.

I guess the best analogy I can come up with is imagine building your motor and installing a AEM EMS or HKS VPRO and not tuning it. You are not getting the full potential of the motor without tuning it properly.

Last edited:
True. I totally understand your reasoning. I did plan on getting my car corner balanced, however, the shop here no longer did corner balancing and i was pretty much SOL. I needed an alignment ASAP due to my impact wrench attaching to my camber bolt instead of the strut bolt...lol. My RF wheel was so outta whack that i needed it done prior to any type of driving. So i guess i got the alignment prior to balancing was a safety issue.

True. I totally understand your reasoning. I did plan on getting my car corner balanced, however, the shop here no longer did corner balancing and i was pretty much SOL. I needed an alignment ASAP due to my impact wrench attaching to my camber bolt instead of the strut bolt...lol. My RF wheel was so outta whack that i needed it done prior to any type of driving. So i guess i got the alignment prior to balancing was a safety issue.

You should take a trip to Gardena some day and get your car corner weighted by Darin.

Call him first and make an appointment.

+1 in the corner balancing camp. If your going to spend the big bucks to get the coil-overs you should get them setup correctly. I just changed out my suspension with Dali springs and Bilstein struts, the car still tracked correctly but the camber and toe was way off when I took it in to get aligned.

Back