Air filter options

anyone know which acura engine is the same as the NSX? CL 3.2 ? TL? cause i need to buy a replacement air filter that fits the OEM intake box but no one sells it for 2002 ..anyone know which one will fit?? from KnN? anyone know?
THANKYOU!

Re: anyone know??

yah i woudl but i just wanted to try K&N..more flow? just wondering what kits and price..cause i called acura dealer and they said cost..$50

In you case (stock NSX?) any alternative to the stock air filter will give you "0" gain. Stick with the stock air filter. It provides the best filtration and power for your setup. You can go to www.hondacuraworld.com or call JR there at 1-888-729-5257 and you will get 25% off on a stock filter. I recall it being about $39.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
In you case (stock NSX?) any alternative to the stock air filter will give you "0" gain. Stick with the stock air filter. It provides the best filtration and power for your setup. You can go to www.hondacuraworld.com or call JR there at 1-888-729-5257 and you will get 25% off on a stock filter. I recall it being about $39.

HTH,
LarryB

You are wrong. Unless an OEM is made of S.S. mesh, or cotton gauze, it will be restricted in air-flow. Foam is the worst, followed by paper. Running no filter, will equal a 1/10th quicker time in the 1/4 mile in most cars, proving that there IS airflow restriction in a OEM setup.

Bad advice.

Last edited:

If foam is the worst why does Comptech sell a foam uni filter for both nsx and s2000.And are you suggesting we all run around with no filter.I don't think Larry is wrong and you are right,you both have your opinions.From what I can see from my years on prime that for street nsx's the filter is not going to make a significant power increase,but it can alter tone and intake sound which does increase the placebo effect.most of us who do IHE do it because we figure why not do all as a package and because we think that every molecule of extra air will help ;)

I haven't heard of anyone making serious gains by only switching to a K&N, do you know of anyone who has dyno #'s? It would make for an interesting comparison.

T Bell said:
You are wrong. Unless an OEM is made of S.S. mesh, or cotton gauze, it will be restricted in air-flow. Foam is the worst, followed by paper. Running no filter, will equal a 1/10th quicker time in the 1/4 mile in most cars, proving that there IS airflow restriction in a OEM setup.

Bad advice.

This argument is great in theory, but there is very little to back it up. I have never seen confirmed dyno numbers stating a filter adds HP. Maybe it exist?

As far as Larry being "wrong" (in such definitive terms). All I know is he knows a heck of alot more about these cars and automotive science than almost anyone I know.

And has always provided GOOD advice to me and many members through-out the NE and the rest of the country.

T Bell said:

Bad advice.
Pretty bold reply. What evidence do you have for an NSX to support your claim? The back-to-back dyno tests I performed with the same car comparing a new OEM to K&N showed the K&N with 1.0 less horsepower. This small gain is meaningless because it is well within the measurement repeatability.

Yes, different materials will restrict different amounts, but does the change in restriction have significance? Internal aerodynamic passages are analogous to electrical resistors in series. To make a significant improvement, you need to reduce the restriction of the largest resistor in the series. For many cars the poorly designed airbox is clearly the largest resistor and they respond well to filter changes because the filter is the worst actor in the internal flow passage. Based on the evidence I have seen, this isn't the case for the NSX and I agree with Larry.

Bob

The drop in K&N filter has a smaller filter area than the OEM. I had one, and couldn't notice a difference. From the fact that I could see through bits of it, I decided to keep the OEM one in.

Larry Bastanza said:

HTH,
LarryB

I just wanted to confirm this; when I removed my stock filter element at the dyno, I noticed a 10 rwhp increase. Is that normal for a stock filter? Would that number not change with an aftermarket filter element (or completely aftermarket intake)?

I'd like to get "back" the 10 hp that the filter costs; is it possible?

j14nsx said:
The drop in K&N filter has a smaller filter area than the OEM. I had one, and couldn't notice a difference.
I tried a K&N cone-shaped filter which has a larger filter area than the OEM. I couldn't notice a difference in acceleration, either (although it was somewhat louder).

j14nsx said:
From the fact that I could see through bits of it, I decided to keep the OEM one in.
From the fact that the best technical experts on the NSX have noted an association between aftermarket air filters and particulates (dirt) causing engine problems, I decided to go back to the OEM one, too.

burbel said:
I'd like to get "back" the 10 hp that the filter costs; is it possible?
Sure, just leave the air filter out entirely. Of course, if your engine develops problems, it could eventually result in a ~250 hp decrease... ;)

Air filters are there for a reason. Making them less restrictive can have an adverse impact on reliability. Your car, your choice...

nsxtasy said:
Sure, just leave the air filter out entirely. Of course, if your engine develops problems, it could eventually result in a ~250 hp decrease... ;)

Air filters are there for a reason. Making them less restrictive can have an adverse impact on reliability. Your car, your choice...

Actually, it's the reliability that I'm worried about; right now I am trying to suck in enough air to fill the supercharger, removing the filter allowed the blower to grab enough air to gain 10hp. I'm worried that I'm creating a drag on the blower (and thus the engine) with the stock air filter element. Also, the filter seemed to be pretty clean (a slight gray coloring on the lower side, top looked good), so I don't think a dirty/clogged filter was the problem. I realize that everything is a trade-off; I'm not willing to forego a filter entirely, but would like to get the best compromise that I can.

Let's not compare apples to oranges. No air filter will certianly be less restrictive abd give more HP!!! As far as me "being wrong" I am happy to be corrected. Is there some dyno results basis to determine my need to be corrected?

I really try to not make statements that cannot be substantiated. Tom, not to imply you cannot, I am just not informed. Now if you have FI then for sure a UNI or other such filter will give you gains, stock gain seem to be "0" as far as my research shows.

My $.02

LarryB

In a conversation I had with Donwon, he mentioned that he measured a 1HP increase with an ARC airbox/filter over OEM while on the dyno. He switched the airbox while the car was on the dyno still. I believe he was running the CTSC setup during this test, but I'm not 100% sure. Don, can you clarify?

In any case, it sounds to me like even if there is a win, it's not a huge win and you run the risk of letting in larger particulates with a high flow filter, particularly if you don't keep up on its maintenance (ie oiling). On other cars, there may be substantial gains with a K&N, but on the NSX it seems OEM is pretty darn good to begin with.

I've decided to keep the stock filter, even with a CTSC.

I sincereley appologize Larry for coming off harsh (I was having a bad day!)

I did some research on the cfm flow results. A very high quality OEM paper filter has many pleats, therefore having a great surface area. K&N pleats are nowhere near as many, because of the size of each pleat compared to folded paper. Here is what I found. First you need to find the # of square inches that each filter has. Paper will usually average around 1000 sq. in. and the K&N around 250 sq. in. being equal in drop-in size. If the K&N drop-in excedes 15% of the paper filter (Must ne a high quality paper NOT FRAM) the K&N WILL flow a higher CFM. EX- if the paper filter has 1500 sq. in. of surface area, and the K&N drop-in has 240 sq. in. (16%) it will flow more air than the paper. This being said, a conical replacement will have much more surface area than a drop-in, thus dropping restriction down to single digits of restriction. Stainless steel mesh will drop it even lower for restriction. Now if you are worried about dirt getting into your engine, and are too lazy to wash your cotton gauze, then stick with paper. If you are mechanically inclined, and are willing to keep your filter clean (once or twice per year, depending on miles/conditions) then you will have a better breathing NSX engine, that CAN be noticed at throttle tip-in, WOT, and on the dyno.

I agree that a filter alone will equal to under 3 bhp, but if a true CAI set-up is used with a conical filter better gains will be had, especially with FI, and with throttle body, cams, headers, exhaust, and straight thru cats. If you plan on doing a filter only, without upgrading the other intake parts, and exhaust parts, you will not gain much. But I still argue the 0% as stated originally.

P.S. the sound alone of the conical is worth it to my ears! :D

YUMNA2 said:
so....OEM?

Lol, yeah, I would recommend an OEM filter, either from the company mentioned above, or from Niello Acura (where I buy my parts). Also, even if another engine is quite similar, I doubt they would have an identical airbox to the NSX, so I'd just get the NSX part.

:eek: your running a supercharger on a stock airbox??? why??? if just the airfilter made a difference think of what replaceing all that stock piping would do!!! :D

Back