Aerotect Clear Bra Installed

Today I had a Venture Clearbra installed by Aerotect; Aerotect is a company that deals mostly with applying clear bra's to airplanes, but they also provide the same service for automobiles, and they're well known on the club lexus forums.

Because my bumper is the gtrom version, and not the oem 2-piece bumper, I wanted a clearbra installer who could custom-cut the bra without the various tow hooks, emblem, holes, etc.; also, I wanted to protect the lexan headlights from fogging. Aerotect applied the clearbra material to the front bumper, headlights, and also produced a custom piece to protect the gtrom front lip.

DSC05426opt.JPG

DSC05428opt.JPG

DSC05429opt.JPG

DSC05431opt.JPG

DSC05435opt.JPG

DSC05437opt.JPG

DSC05439opt.JPG

All of the film was installed perfectly, I was very pleased with the service. I received some rock chips on my way up to La Verne, CA for the installation, and forgot to bring my touch up paint, but one of the guys at Aerotect went to get touch up paint for me, which matched perfectly, and did so at no charge :eek:

If you're in SoCal and need a clearbra installed, these are the guys to go to:

AeroTect
1935 McKinley Ave Suite F
La Verne, CA 91750

Tel. (909) 596-0053
fax. (909) 596-0054
Toll Free (866) 388-AERO

Pricing was also very competitive, and after discussing the process with a few clear bra installers I felt much better about having the bra installed at a facility, rather than in the driveway, where it is not a controlled environment (dust, etc.)

Looks like a very professional install :smile: Now i just gotta get off my butt and get mine installed asap.

Looks good, I was a little iffy on these, but now that I have seen one installed I like it.

car is looking hot hot hot!

the gtone parts look to be fitting very well. any complaints?

The headlights are not fully secured, and still need to be physically lined up to the hood and fender, but the parts do fit pretty well. The hood is also not latched down in the last pictures ;)

I replied to your PM.

Last edited:
I have a question...
Once you installed the clear bra, how do you clean the covered area? Can you wax over the clear bra? I'm interested in getting a clear bra too. Just don't quite understand.

Thank you

I have a question...
Once you installed the clear bra, how do you clean the covered area? Can you wax over the clear bra? I'm interested in getting a clear bra too. Just don't quite understand.

Thank you

The shop suggested using a plastic polish over the applied area, specifically 'plexus' spray:

31BVlrAQbnL._AA280_.jpg

Did they cut the material while it was on the car? If so, how do they prevent cutting the paint itself. I'd imagine it would be hard to precisely cut to the end of the clearbra and to stop precisely when the paint starts.

Did they cut the material while it was on the car? If so, how do they prevent cutting the paint itself. I'd imagine it would be hard to precisely cut to the end of the clearbra and to stop precisely when the paint starts.

They used a plotter to cut the material into the basic shape; once on the car, it was stretched and shrunk (with a heat gun) into place. I think some excess material was trimmed away using an xacto blade, but not on the paint.

I think it would be funny if they threw a big rectangle of clear bra material on the car and started hacking at it with a blade ;)

Clearly they would need a form to work off of, if they had any hope of forming it to the bumper's shape.

How much did it end up costing you? I believe my friend paid around 500 to 600 to do the front end. Looks great!! I can't even see that its on there! I have seen some bad clear bras and this is definitely not one of them! Keep up the good work John.

I think it would be funny if they threw a big rectangle of clear bra material on the car and started hacking at it with a blade ;)

I had the clear bra for my NSX done by a shop called Premier Mobile out of Santa Clara, CA. For my S2000, Mike Lee from Detailing Dynamics, also in Santa Clara, did the clear bra. Both of these guys are well known on car forums.

Both of these guys actually did put a big rectangle of film on the cars and custom cut it to fit. They've been doing it for many years and know how to cut film on a car w/o touching the paint. After seeing the cars they've done - Enzo, Carrera GT, various other Ferrari's, Porsches, NSX, etc, etc, I had no concerns of custom cut on the car. The custom cut ensures that the film gets wrapped around all edges of the body so that the edges of the film is not visible.

So, for clear bra installations, always go w/ experience over price, but that $400 you paid is a really, really good price.

Both of these guys actually did put a big rectangle of film on the cars and custom cut it to fit.

I imagine this method would take longer, and would be more difficult to obtain a correct fit, not impossible, but requiring more effort; if you have experienced people doing the installation, this is going to be key.

I know all of the mobile services I contacted wanted to know the exact make/model/etc. beforehand, so they could bring a pre-cut template with them. If you have a '91-'01, I don't think there is a template to work off of, so the job would need to be custom, from a rectangle.

I imagine this method would take longer, and would be more difficult to obtain a correct fit, not impossible, but requiring more effort; if you have experienced people doing the installation, this is going to be key.

It does take longer (much longer), but it actually allows for perfect fit b/c they are able to cut the film as needed. Of course, there is little variation w/ the NSX body, so that isn't much of an issue. The benefit of going w/ the custom cut is that I was able to make changes on how thing were covered on the fly vs. having to go w/ the way the template defined it. For example how the film wraps around the turn signal openings, under the painted area of the bumper etc. On my S2000 I have the OEM lip and going custom allowed me to cover that the way I wanted vs. the template.

Still, looking at the pictures you posted, it looks like you got a hell of a deal (and when I say deal, I mean something in the area of 50% off compared to most others) for high quality work.

I paid $400 for the upper/lower bumper, headlights, and lip - its a really good price, and really good work.

Wow, That is an excellent price John. The work looks amazing. When i do my front end conversion i might have to hit you up about this. Good find man!

Just a suggestion, I have used Plexus on the windscreen of helicopters and it does work but leaves a greasy film that's very annoying to look through when flying espicially when flying at night into lights. You might try Meguires #15, (or 17, which ever it is) in the white squeeze bottle. I'm much happier with that only because it doesn't leave the film. Both are brand name plastic polishes, and as your not looking through it maybe the Plexus is the one to use.

Cheers
nigel

wow - awesome job.

aerotect DOES do dang good work. for anyone else in the country, I've put together a nice directory of clear bra installers all over.

you can check it out here: http://www.clearbrafilms.com

-Clifford

Like others have said, a good installer that has done tons of these installs will be able to custom cut the material on the car so that it goes to all edges. I've seen some that go about 1/8 inch to the edge of the car, but I think you still get quite a few rock chips along the edges of the hood where it is now exposed.

The guys we use will actually demonstrate cutting the material by placing it on their hand and slicing all the way across it. The secret is to score the material. It's just like cutting glass. You don't cut all the way through. You score it and then break the rest off.

Back