%*&#% ABS pump.

My ABS pump is getting louder and louder. It is working but making some god awful noise. Can It be disabled without triggering the dash light? Thank you.

My ABS pump is getting louder and louder. It is working but making some god awful noise. Can It be disabled without triggering the dash light? Thank you.

Isn't there a way to flush the pump filters and fix them? May be a cheeper option then upgrading the system to the newer style.

Last edited:
I also know a guy that rebuild his with little to no mechanical knowledge.
works perfect has been fine for years now.

I think he took the whole thing apart and cleaned everything, I think he purchased new seals from somewhere then put it all back together.

he said it was pretty easy even for him.

cost him around 40 bucks

try to lock up the brakes once a month or so.this activates the abs pump. it's hard on dry pavement,stomp on it like someone just stepped in front of you.
yours may be past the point where this helps,but it's always worth a try,and helpful to keep working abs systems in good shape.
i mine ever goes out,i'll get the sos upgrade as shawn suggested.

I excercise it regularly and it does work well, but the pump has a terrible noise like a dry shaft or binding. Other than that, it's ok.

My '91's ABS had kind of squeaking/chugging sound, not at startup but rather pulling away from a startup. This would happen every two weeks or so. My '95 does basically the same thing but the sound is absolutely horrid and makes my NSX sound like an old clunker with a bad water pump and three loose fan belts. Definitely takes the shine out of pulling out of the parking garage at work ;-) I'm going to try the Danoland technique, hopefully that will help. Thanks for the link.

I excercise it regularly and it does work well, but the pump has a terrible noise like a dry shaft or binding. Other than that, it's ok.

They all sound like crap:). Really not a big deal , unless it runs over two minutes and it shuts down and throws the ALB light on. Which is still fixable. The updated system is a major improvement, but.... I have not had one in the last 8 years that I could not repair, without replacing any major component.

My $.02

Regards,
LarryB

Thanks Larry. It only runs maybe 10 seconds upon startup then everythings back to normal. Just noisier than shes ever been. I excersise it about once monthly.

yeah, we have the same problem. after i guess the car cools down, when i start up again and pull away, it has like a screeching sound for a couple seconds and goes away

i have the SOS update kit in the attic somewhere, just havent had time to get it replaced

yeah, we have the same problem. after i guess the car cools down, when i start up again and pull away, it has like a screeching sound for a couple seconds and goes away

i have the SOS update kit in the attic somewhere, just havent had time to get it replaced

where do you hear this sound? front of the car?

My pump was making a noise every 5 seconds unless you were stopped then it wouldn't do it. I pulled the fuse for the ALB system, and the noise went away no dash lights either. I've still gotta get the updated system or delete it all together.

My pump runs for a couple of minutes and then shuts off. I will be taking it in for repair, but in the meantime, is it safe to pull the ABS pump fuse and keep driving until I can get it to the shop?
thanks

My pump runs for a couple of minutes and then shuts off. I will be taking it in for repair, but in the meantime, is it safe to pull the ABS pump fuse and keep driving until I can get it to the shop?
thanks

yes,I used to pull the fuse for track events on my 96

thanks

First of all the pump will run every once in a while for a few seconds and then stop - that's normal. If it runs for a couple of minutes I'm surprised the ABS light hasn't come on?

Anyway - like Larry says these systems are really very reliable and mine is a 91 and runs for a little bit every once in a while. But early on mine ran so long that the ABS light did come on. I freaked out and before I could get in touch with Eiffel, our Ace Atlanta mechanic here, I got hold of the dealer and took it up there and pulled the fuse, ohhhh boy was that a mistake - the dealer didn't know didly. The guy saw the pump covered with fluid from running and "QUICKLY" diagnosed the problem as a bad resevior and a whole system replacement was necessary to fix it - oh that only would have cost $5000 BUCKS right - I said I'll leave the damn thing unhooked for that kind of dough.

Fortunately when I got back to the office that afternoon Eiffel had called me, told me to bring it in and that it most likely just needed to be flushed and the solenoids activated. $150 bucks later the system was perfect! I just stomp on the brakes real hard now to activate the system every once in a while and it stays in great shape! These systems rarely go bad as Eiffel explained which is exactly what Larry B says.

Make sure you take it to a good independant for a service - someone that understands the system and has the right tools and equipment. If in fact it is bad I've heard that now the SOS part has jumped way up in price. So I believe I'd be getting mine flushed and fixed if I were you! It will work fine. Just not as good as the newer gen system but it still works fine!

Mine has one problem solenoid.
It has some leakage that causes the pump to run more often. About once per month.
Because of this, I have got really good at flushing and exercising the solenoids. I can go through the unit in about 45 minutes. All 4 solenoids are then exercised and the system is like new. I have built a custom wiring harness with momentary switches to exercise the solenoids and run the pump.
One thing to note: when you exercise and flush the system. DON'T REUSE the brake fluid! As you exercise the solenoids, the fluid level in the system will rise as the fluid foams (normal). I remove this with a turkey baster and always replace with new fluid as there may be some dirt in this fluid. Once you are done, the fluid level should be at 2/3 full max. more than that will cause the fluid to over flow when the ABS kicks in.
Second thing to note: Keep the brake fluid away from any painted surfaces. It will strip the paint off and make a mess of your paint job.

As I am good at this with all the practice, I have helped others out with problem ABS systems, I am in the process of replacing this system with the newer 2000+ ABS system. I will then rebuilt my old ABS system with new o-rings, seals, etc. The o-rings need to be matched in size as I don't know of any rebuild kits available. This is to learn how this system works and help others.

Last edited:
Back