A Ford Beats Ferrari 360 !!

Did anyone check out the new Ford GT
A recent Magazine I read just earlier on pitted I against the Ferrari 360 ! and guess what

The Ford absolutely massacred the Ferrari on the strait lines. This is no surprise since the Ferrari has a puny engine, where's the Americans are renowned for their enormous engines. The GT is no exception with a supercharged 5.3L V8 putting out 500 Hp and an equal amount of torque.

But the amazing part is that when the turns came along, the Ferrari still couldn’t catch the Ford even with the traction control switched off. So on the streets the Ford GT was unbeatable

On the race track, it was a little disappointment. The Ferrari came alive on the track, The GT on the other hand was a little bit of an under steer. However, the GT was still 4 seconds faster on that track.

There is a Video of the Ford GT on RacingFlix but I didn’t download it yet

As for the reason I posted this on NSX Prime, well this is the reason

During the design of the new Ford GT, the main car that was benchmarked was the Ferrari 360. however there were two other cars that were benchmarked. The Porsche and the one and only NSX. Did you read that, NSX. 13 years old and still being benchmarked as the best !!

cmhs75 said:

As for the reason I posted this on NSX Prime, well this is the reason

During the design of the new Ford GT, the main car that was benchmarked was the Ferrari 360. however there were two other cars that were benchmarked. The Porsche and the one and only NSX. Did you read that, NSX. 13 years old and still being benchmarked as the best !!
Interesting. WHat's the source of your information?

It should be in one of the cars' magazines.

NSX/MR2 said:
It should be in one of the cars' magazines.
I figured that much. Guess I wasn't specific enough. Which one?

I'd still rather have the Ford GT. :D

I had read that they had used a 360 as a benchmark. I had heard they also used the NSX -- but I have never seen anything in writing about that. I am still unsure if it is true or not.

give me the ford too, ferrari have been thought of as the top marque for far too long (because it has soul, my ass), time for a shake up, get the ferrari boards sulking :D competition leads to progess!

A quote from Automobile about the Ford GT was mentioned here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=20023 (before thread got off-topic)

There's a cable linkage, and it's interesting that the engineering team's benchmark for cable shifter quality is the Acura NSX, which was also McLaren F1 designer Gordon Murray's shifter-quality hero.
I remember reading several years ago Murray considered the F1 the spiritual successor to the NSX, although I don't recall the source.

Re: Re: A Ford Beats Ferrari 360 !!

KGP said:
Interesting. WHat's the source of your information?

My source was

AUTOCAR Magazine, the British version

I don’t remember the issue. They bring out 4 magazines per month so its hard to keep up. But it is recent.

By the way, if im not mistaken, this car magazine is a 100 years old and they are very harsh when judging new cars. Which shows how good the Ford GT is.

P.S. the NSX was crowned The Best Handling Car of the Year twice in a row. So they have good taste

The `Stradale` is a totally different beast. More hp (425hp,) better suspension, brake and lighter than the regular 360. Now, that is a car.

Now, the NSX was also mentioned in lots of magazines that deal with high-end vehicles as one of the bench-mark platform. No surprise there.

T Bell said:
Ferrari 's may not be the most dependable sportscar, but if the new GT is built anything like all of their other cars, it will be a POS.
Give me a Stradale Challenge. :p
Assuming that the $150K Ford GT will be like other mass-produced Fords is as silly as saying in 1990 that the NSX would just be another Honda.

I like the looks of the new Ford GT40 a lot. I got to see one up close in Indianapolis with the hood up and it looked like one bad ass machine. Who knows what the reliability factor will be. Either way I'd love to have one some day.

I have to think that the new GT40 will be in a totally different class from the regular Ford lineup. The price tag alone reflects a significant amount of work being invested into the car. What other Ford car has a price tag anywhere near $150k? Or even half that?

Cool

cmhs75 said:
My source was

AUTOCAR Magazine, the British version...
If you can ever find it, scan it and share.

My only complaint against the new GT is that there is NO luggage space. I think that is silly. You cannot do anything with the car except drive around. At least the NSX has a useable trunk.. that was a big selling feature for me.

I'm dissappointed that Ford didn't build a unique motor for the car. From what I heard it is a modified V8 truck motor with a supercharger. IMO, mid-engined supercars should be NA. The only car allowed to forgo this rule is the Ferrari F40. ;)

kenjiMR said:
I'm dissappointed that Ford didn't build a unique motor for the car. From what I heard it is a modified V8 truck motor with a supercharger. IMO, mid-engined supercars should be NA. The only car allowed to forgo this rule is the Ferrari F40. ;)

Make another exception. The guys who tested the GT said that the engine was very linear and compliant. And that it had such tremendous torque that you would never have to check which gear your in, just slam the gas pedal and it flies away. Not needing to change gears is a good thing because it so happens that the GT gearbox is slow in action.

And about scanning the article and posting it. Im very sorry but I read it from a company library and by now someone must have checked that issue out so I can't get it and scan it. Either way it’s a very long article and I don’t think it will be clear to read if I scan it.

The mag. article your seeking is SportsCar International (Sept03) Vol#158. The GT in Gulf colors was on the cover.

Lengthly artical about the GT which stated the NSX was one of 3 cars the Ford purchased to compare its test mule too. While it may have been in another mag., I'm cetain it was in that one.

I'll take a GT too, but none of the dealers I've contacted will sell it to me. The Ford dealers themselves are keeping the ones they get!

Back