A few questions -

I'm currently extremely interested in purchasing an 1991 NSX I found in my area.
It's 1991, with 80,000 miles. It had a 2004 conversation done on it.
Basically it looks exactly like a 2004 NSX, I'll include picutures for those that are interested.

It has TSW wheels - 20" rear rims-19" front rims with a value of $ 4200. 00
The interior is Alex Zanardi leather and suede.
Aswell as a 7 inch tv, and a mean stereo system.
Owner has reciepts for over $30,000 in upgrades.

Here's the kicker part, it has a rebuilt title.
The seller said do to the fact that it's a theft recovery, the only thing that was damaged in the theft was the ignition and door (From them breaking into it) both were completely replaced.

What would be a reasonable price for me to pay for this car?
Is it worth purchasing? I'm truely inlove with this car, it's stunning and elegant all the at the same time.
I've viewed the car, it's in mint condition, if the debry scratches on the front end are over-looked.

I could really use some opinions on this.
Pictures:
sideshot8lv.jpg

frontangle8ym.jpg

interior4ck.jpg

frontwheel4ob.jpg

What is he asking for the car?
Since he spent so much $$$ on fixing the car up and making it look 'pretty', did he also spend the money maintaining it? Does he have receipts for that type of work or just the cosmetics?
He can't expect to get a premium since it's an automatic and has the rebuilt title.
The interior isn't Zanardi except for the type of material. They have red stitching on the seats and steering wheel(?).
I'm not a big fan of putting the TV in the dash personally. I have a DIN sized in my a/m console and at the angle of it, the display gets pretty much washed out in direct sunlight. I would expect that to do the same.
Also, are you SURE it is a '91? The armrest isn't correct. I think they started that in around '93 or so.
I would also check out the a/c system and ask about window fixit thingys.
Lastly, I if you are still serious about getting, take it to a trusted tech that knows them(NSX) and how a PPI done. Might cost you a little upfront but could save you a lot down the road.

92NSX said:
What is he asking for the car?
Since he spent so much $$$ on fixing the car up and making it look 'pretty', did he also spend the money maintaining it? Does he have receipts for that type of work or just the cosmetics?
He can't expect to get a premium since it's an automatic and has the rebuilt title.
The interior isn't Zanardi except for the type of material. They have red stitching on the seats and steering wheel(?).
I'm not a big fan of putting the TV in the dash personally. I have a DIN sized in my a/m console and at the angle of it, the display gets pretty much washed out in direct sunlight. I would expect that to do the same.
Also, are you SURE it is a '91? The armrest isn't correct. I think they started that in around '93 or so.
I would also check out the a/c system and ask about window fixit thingys.
Lastly, I if you are still serious about getting, take it to a trusted tech that knows them(NSX) and how a PPI done. Might cost you a little upfront but could save you a lot down the road.

It's Zanardi interior, and positive on the red stitching on the seats and steering wheel, it's a TV/Navigation, which should be slightly handy.
He has reciepts on everything from cosmetics to minor things like oil changes.
The man that owns the car owns an eye glass shop, he had this car since early 2004, he's selling it do to the fact that he just purchased a brand new benz.
It drives and sounds good, and I most definitly will take it to a trusted tech ...

Once everything passes, and I get the green light, how much do you think I should offer him on the car?

Check to see if it falls w/i the potentially-faulty snap-ring range as well. In fact, while getting the PPI done, have the mechanic check the snap ring, to be sure it's OK as well. Also were the timing belt/water pump/valve adjustments done ? What is the owner asking for it?

Doc308 said:
Check to see if it falls w/i the potentially-faulty snap-ring range as well. In fact, while getting the PPI done, have the mechanic check the snap ring, to be sure it's OK as well. Also were the timing belt/water pump/valve adjustments done ? What is the owner asking for it?

He's asking $25,000, but he said it's negotiable.
What's a fair price for it, considering the fact it's a rebuilt ...
What's PPI, stand for?
Is it best to take the car to a Acura Mechanic to get it examined?
I have to find out on the adjustments.

NsxLeon said:
He's asking $25,000, but he said it's negotiable.
What's a fair price for it, considering the fact it's a rebuilt ...
What's PPI, stand for?
Is it best to take the car to a Acura Mechanic to get it examined?
I have to find out on the adjustments.

I would run a CARFAX also.
I would certainly negotiate that price. Make him prove the maintenance part of it.
If it's not an Acura tech, just make sure he is fimiliar with the NSX and not just cars in general. BE SURE OF THAT !!
PPI is short for Pre-Purchase Inspection.

92NSX said:
I would run a CARFAX also.
I would certainly negotiate that price. Make him prove the maintenance part of it.
If it's not an Acura tech, just make sure he is fimiliar with the NSX and not just cars in general. BE SURE OF THAT !!
PPI is short for Pre-Purchase Inspection.

Does anyone know an NSX Tech in Miami?
And indeed, I will view and take all the maintence records from him.
I've ran a carfax, the only thing that really comes up is the Theft.
Besides that there's no problems.

Is $20,000 reasonable for it?
Or is that to low?

Also, is there a possible way to find out if a car is in snap ring range without actually taking it to a tech?
What is the "Snap ring range" exactly?
Forgive me for my newbish questions, but I'm a tad new to this.

Last edited:
NsxLeon said:
Does anyone know an NSX Tech in Miami?
And indeed, I will view and take all the maintence records from him.
I've ran a carfax, the only thing that really comes up is the Theft.
Besides that there's no problems.

Is $20,000 reasonable for it?
Or is that to low?

Also, is there a possible way to find out if a car is in snap ring range without actually taking it to a tech?
What is the "Snap ring range" exactly?
Forgive me for my newbish questions, but I'm a tad new to this.

snap ring is only on manual transmissions:wink:

This car is not in "mint condition". A '91 with 80K miles in so-so condition without a maintenance history but with a clean title is generally worth $24-27K, so use that as a starting point in determining this car's value. Neither the mods you describe nor the automatic should have any substantial effect on the market value of the car, either up or down, although the automatic makes it harder to find a buyer, in case the car has to be sold quickly.

So how much to you adjust for the fact that it's a salvage title car? The problem in determining the value of a salvage title car is that you don't have thousands or even hundreds of similar cars whose sale prices you can use for comparison purposes. And because of that, if you bought it and had to turn around and re-sell it, it's impossible to predict how much you could get for it. How much do you deduct from the previous number for the fact that it has a salvage title - 20 percent? 50 percent? There's no way to tell. I sure don't think $20K is too low to offer.

If you bought the car, and enjoyed it for a year or two, and then sold it for $5K less than you bought it for, would you be upset or not? If not, then get it.

Some Miami folks have mentioned MCA Motorsports as the place they take their NSXs for service.

nsxtasy said:
This car is not in "mint condition". A '91 with 80K miles in so-so condition without a maintenance history but with a clean title is generally worth $24-27K, so use that as a starting point in determining this car's value. Neither the mods you describe nor the automatic should have any substantial effect on the market value of the car, either up or down, although the automatic makes it harder to find a buyer, in case the car has to be sold quickly.

So how much to you adjust for the fact that it's a salvage title car? The problem in determining the value of a salvage title car is that you don't have thousands or even hundreds of similar cars whose sale prices you can use for comparison purposes. And because of that, if you bought it and had to turn around and re-sell it, it's impossible to predict how much you could get for it. How much do you deduct from the previous number for the fact that it has a salvage title - 20 percent? 50 percent? There's no way to tell. I sure don't think $20K is too low to offer.

If you bought the car, and enjoyed it for a year or two, and then sold it for $5K less than you bought it for, would you be upset or not? If not, then get it.

Some Miami folks have mentioned MCA Motorsports as the place they take their NSXs for service.

I'm not planning to sell it after a year, I plan to have this car forever.
It's my dream car, and I wouldn't want any other car.
Hopefully he'll take my offer of $20,000 -
If so I'll attempt to get the PPI done, and purchase the car before I leave to NY for vacation.
Thanks for your help guys, you're an excellent group.

If that were a Manual, I would have to fly up there and snatch it from you! :D But good luck and I hope everything turns out well for you.

Twinsen said:
If that were a Manual, I would have to fly up there and snatch it from you! :D But good luck and I hope everything turns out well for you.

I'd come and snatch up your Gixxer, and wheelie it into a guard-rail. :biggrin:
Just kidding, lol.

Thanks for the luck, I think I'll need it.

car looks great and that conversion is not cheap to say the least, BUT don't buy it on looks alone..Make sure an automatic is what you want, cuz an auotmatic with a salvage title is not easy to sale if you end up having to sale later down the road...Also, make sure to get a PPI at an ACURA dealer or NSXpert shop...

Has the entire 02+ conversion been done or just the front? The reason I ask is if the back/sides are not done, Id question if the reason the front was done was because it had a front impact.

SPA_S2000 said:
Has the entire 02+ conversion been done or just the front? The reason I ask is if the back/sides are not done, Id question if the reason the front was done was because it had a front impact.

Complete conversion was done all around ...
Front, Sides, Rear.

rickysals said:
im pretty sure this car is on prime because I've definately seen it online before

It was actually on ebay a few weeks ago, you might of caught it there.

92NSX said:
So have you made him an offer yet?

I offered the guy who's selling the car for his friend $20,000.
Which was rejected, but after explaining my situation to him ... he gave my the number of the owner of the car, I had my father call the owner, due to the fact that I had work.
The owner agreed to let it go for $20,000. :biggrin:

I'm actually flying out to New York tomorrow morning, so I'm going to have my parents take the NSX to the shop in Miami, and have a PPI ran ...
If all goes well, I shall be a proud owner of an NSX. :biggrin:

You all have been an amazing help, and I'm proud to be a member of this forum.

Updates on the car ...
The owner claimed it was a theft recovery, never in an accident.
I've had my father take the NSX to have a PPI done ...
Well, first off ... the car is leaking oil from the engine and the power-steering.
Estimated repair on the power steering is $5,000 by itself.
The front wheels are rubbing against the body, when in a turn.
Now let's get to the more serious problems, if those weren't bad enough for you.
The entire front end, is a completely different car ...
The frame was cut and another frame from a different car was welded onto it ... And not even welded on well ... Also, the car is missing countless bolts underneath.
The mechanic couldn't even find the plug to where to plug the NSX computer into the mechanic's computer, he also said a lot of the engine cables were disconnected (Service light cables) ...
The Acura mechanic said ... "The car is barely worth $5,000, but I personally wouldn't pay a dime for it."

Anyways long story short, the owner claims he didn't know of it having any problems. Yet I don't know how you could miss the globs of oil leaking from the car in numerous places.
I highly doubt the owner is going to sell the car to me for $5,000, he'll probably attempt to find a sucker to sell the car too.
It took me days of negotiating to get him to lower the price to $20,000 ...
I don't know anyone who would purchase a $20,000 plus car without taking it for an inspection first.

Congratulations on NOT buying the car.

I too am glad you didn't get sucked into buying that. Sounds like it was just beauty on the outside but ugly on the inside.
A PPI is priceless now isn't it.:wink:
Good luck in your search.:smile:

Back