997 GT3 Vs. Z06 Vs. Keeping the NSX.

What would you do?

• Total voters
Just debating in my mind what I would do "next". I have owned the NSX for almost for 4 years. The car is perfect. No issues. My only concern is the lack of a dry sump. Other than that the car is an excellent balance of DD/Exotic/Track toy. However, like all things I am considering getting something different. I was holding out for the next gen NSX. But after seeing the concept car I can forget that.:tongue: My wife already said no more cars this year. I bought the Passat and the SM last year so I can't really blame her. Then again If I order a GT3 - it won't come in until later this yr.

So, What would you do? The z06 is just awesome, but its looks are so, so. I question the quality of dealer service(I wonder how many joy rides are being taken on my car). The GT3 is more involving, with an engine than belongs in the NSX. But, I really don't find it to be attractive and is it really worth $35k more than a Z06.

Last edited:
i voted to keep the NSX... but in REAL REAL close second is that GT3... :cool:

If $ is a question in this debate, keeping the NSX winds hands down, even with the superior performance of the GT3. If money is not a concern - which I thought when I voted for the GT3, well you know what I'd buy.

The GT-3 was truly engineered as a track car. My friend has a 996 and it is impressive how much larger the spindles are compared to my NSX and RX-8. If you take it out in a turn, they will build more. The number of NSXs left is dwindling. Going from the NSX to the ZO6 will be disappointing. It handles well and has great power, but It has a totally different feel. I bought my wife a C6 Vert and just do not like the heavy feel of the front end. The funny thing is, our cars are within 100 lb of each other, the NSX being the lightest of the 3. If you decide on the ZO6, I have a friend with one that has 3000 miles on it. It is Le-Mans Blue. He wants to sell it. He doesn't like having all that cash tied up in a car. His dad is shifting from vettes to Porsche. I suspect he will do the same. I see him buying a used BoxterS.

John

p.s. The DVD that comes with the C6s shows the ZO6 turning laps and then getting 26 mpg on the way home from the track. Chevrolet appears to be encouraging taking the ZO6 to the track. They have definitely done their homework. It is just a different feel.

Last edited:
GT3 and keep the NSX too.:wink:

Keep it, But damn a GT3 is SICK!, ZO6 ain't bad, Dman I would get all three! My Life would be complete!

Hard to say. The cars are in totally different price ranges. The Z06 is by far the best bang for the buck, but the GT3 is awesome.

If money is no object, go GT3. It looks awesome, and my experience with the 996 GT3 on the track is nothing short of incredible.

If money is an object, go with the Z06. Killler performance -- actually lapped faster than the 997 GT3 in the new Car and Driver. On top of that it gets good gas mileage and a decent ride quality. Also to note is C&D said they have changed the spring rates in the 2007 Z06 so it is a little less scary on the track.

The NSX is of course awesome, but it sounds like you are ready for more ponies and since reliability is a concern, I would sell the NSX and move on to something with more power stock.

My 2 cents.

I have a White GT3 on order here in San Diego with a sticker of 108,000. The only options are the Xenon and the fire extinguisher. I am passing on the car and buying a 97 NSX instead. I have a 996 Porsche right now and I am ready for a totally new experience with a mid engined car. I promised the car to a "friends friend" if I did not buy it. It is due for a March/April delivery. If this person does not want it I will let you know if you are interested. I had my name and deposit down on the GT3 for almost 2 years!

Here in San Diego every other car is a 911 and it gets old. There will be several times a week where you will be either behind another one or in front of another one. NSX on the other hand is still a rare sighting!

Excited about the NSX!

It depends what you are looking for and your driving style. I am a speed freak who tracks the car, and really puts performance as a main focus. The GT3 is an amazing car, and would be my choice if you share a similar driving style. We went to the NAIS in Detroit and Porsche had a white GT3 on display and it was amazing!! Totally beautiful. Sure...seeing a 911 is pretty commonplace, but I like that car for the way it drives. The NSX is amazing, but anyone who tells you a GT3 is not just has their head in the sand.

Ritesh,

I didn't see this option:

-Keep the NSX, buy some polished 18/19 iforged/HRE rims, and slam that puppy to the ground.

It will make you fall in love with your NSX all over again. That would be my vote! :biggrin:

Keep the NSX!
- Z

Keep the NSX and add one of these to your garage :
img12pophq5.jpg

In matching color to your NSX of course, they'd make a couple in the garage that keeps you smiling for quite some time. ;)

Klayton

The first time I was on a high speed track was in a 996 GT3 with Pilot Sport Cups. I thought the car defied the laws of physics! I mean the lateral Gs and the braking force of the car were unbelievable.

Two years later I was at the same track, this time in my NSX, and my GT3 buddy took me out in my own car, and again proceeded to defy the laws of physics. Both cars are amazing, but I have to admit, the power of the GT3 made it feel even more unbelievable!

Having been an NSX owner himself previously, he readily admitted that more people would stop him to ask about the X, give the car a thumbs up etc., the GT3 is just another Porsche to the uneducated masses.

GT3 and keep the NSX too.:wink:

While I agree with the above scenario if it was an option :biggrin:

I believe that diversity in the cars one drives is a great way to expand and round one's driving skills. If you had an NSX, great, try something new.

I switched from a stock '99 996 coupe to a '92 NA then S/C'd NSX and again back to a lightly modded '00 996. Both just have different driving characters, none is necessarily better than the other overall. Both offer a rewarding experience IMO if driven well :cool:

It all comes down to choice through preference. For me it does not matter whether someone else thinks a 996/997 is "common" or an NSX a rarer sight. What counts is how I enjoy the car. Choose because you can and want to.

Oh yes, C6 Z06... great value. Drove two, just can't live with the interior design and quality.

I voted GT3. Although no GT3, a 997 is next on my list :smile:

I would keep NSX and try to get GT3 also....but if anything go with the GT3 and you can always come back and buy another NSX....but for me I know I will regret selling the NSX so for me it is a keeper. I will be adding a prancing horse to my NSX. giddy up :smile:

997 GT3 is the only car that could get me away from the NSX... Good Porsche-build quality, lots of NA horsepower, a instant classic. What more can you ask for :)

I bet it's a thrill to drive........

I really need to testdrive a 997 GT3 some day...

Oh yes, C6 Z06... great value. Drove two, just can't live with the interior design and quality.

I voted GT3. Although no GT3, a 997 is next on my list :smile:

I am going to have to disagree here. Unless you get a 996 with all the options for the interior, it looks pretty crappy and certainly no better than the new vette.

The 996 turbo I drove felt pretty cheap inside and i love how if you don't have all the options you just get big black buttons.

I certainly do think they could have spent an extra couple grand on the inside of the new vette, but it a HUGE improvement over the C5.

I can't believe that so many of you would pick a GT3 over a Z06. The GT3 is a great car but it isn't $40k better than a Z06. For the price of the Porsche you could keep the NSX *AND* have the Z06.

I love my NSX but I would kick it to the curb in a heartbeat for a Z06.

:eek:

:eek:

Back