997 GT3 Vs. Z06 Vs. Keeping the NSX.

What would you do?

• Total voters
I am going to have to disagree here. Unless you get a 996 with all the options for the interior, it looks pretty crappy and certainly no better than the new vette.

The 996 turbo I drove felt pretty cheap inside and i love how if you don't have all the options you just get big black buttons.

I certainly do think they could have spent an extra couple grand on the inside of the new vette, but it a HUGE improvement over the C5.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree here :wink: Everyone certainly is entitled to their personal preference, but I still prefer my 996's interior over the C6's. It feels more 'tactical' and solid if that makes any sense.
BTW, which big black buttons? My entire dashboard is black :biggrin:

Yes the C6's int.; it's an improvement over the C5's interior for sure. Just not quiet there yet. Unfortunate, because that was what made me not buy one despite the other positive attributes.

As for the new 997 interior, I feel it to be significantly nicer than the 996, with exception of the mid/top dashboard timer option which I do not like.

Last edited:
Z06

I was also thinking of getting the HSC but now that its not going to be made I think my next car is going to be a Z06.

Sorry honda you blew it this time with me.

Z06

I was also thinking of getting the HSC but now that its not going to be made I think my next car is going to be a Z06.

Sorry honda you blew it this time with me.

Honda blew it for me too.

The R8 is really starting to appeal to me, but I am not sure if it has enough HP. 0- 60 in 4.6 isn't exactly great for 100K. On the other hand, it is probably the closest car to what the next gen NSX should have been in terms of HP and price. The engine sounds fantastic and I LOVE how the engine bay is lit at night. How cool. :)

How about Skipping the GT3 and Z06 and waiting on the Blue Devil Vette! 650HP ++ for 100K and a warranty! :)

This thread suits me perfectly.

I went to the auto show last night, and have been regretting going all day.

What caught my eyes :

Lexus Is F prototype
Z06
Supercharged Cadillac cts
Audi s8

and several other cars that were all above 400 hp.

I love my Nsx, but man, thinking of the power these other cars have makes me itch.

I have been considering a 996 GT3, as Ive always loved Porsche's as well.

I decided to wash and wax the Nsx to renew my interest. Now that the weather is nice (Finally! after 3 weeks) im really happy that Ill be able to drive it again. Now, just need to keep my thoughts away from other cars with 400+ hp..

Die Qual der Wahl ... :biggrin: The burden of choice

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uV1aMlPGZkQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uV1aMlPGZkQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G9bByWD4Oxs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G9bByWD4Oxs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Last edited:
I choose the GT3 for several reasons:

- quality of engineering
- track performance
- quality of owner community
- amount of aftermarket support

Don't get me wrong, I love Corvettes (I'll have a pristine ZR-1 someday) but the rear engined GT3 has the next best drivetrain format (for me) and a racer's edge that is difficult to match. The Z06 may lap fractionally quicker in a professional's hands but, on a typical track day, they certainly are not invincible and the quicker of the two will rest entirely on the driver.

Could the Exige be an option? Swapping in a 250hp K20 would make for quite a fun and reliable car.

I would keep the NSX and still buy a Z06 As second car great value for power and a nice boot geat looks and a great sound
My favorit front engine car is a Z06!
My favorit mid engine car is a NSX (DUH)!
Don't likw Porsche's and they have understeer problems (yes they do with all the weight in the back!)

I would keep the NSX and still buy a Z06 As second car great value for power and a nice boot geat looks and a great sound
My favorit front engine car is a Z06!
My favorit mid engine car is a NSX (DUH)!
Don't likw Porsche's and they have understeer problems (yes they do with all the weight in the back!)

I agree on the Porsche .
I also agree on the nsx.
I best front engine car the z06 for under 55k$. There are allot of cars that are much better then the z06 but $$$$$$$$$$$ is always a big decision.

I agree on the Porsche .
I also agree on the nsx.
I best front engine car the z06 for under 55k$. There are allot of cars that are much better then the z06 but $$$$$$$$$$$ is always a big decision.
Z06 Does have the best value for your money in specs and power. they do the same things car dubbel there price tag do!

Well - I testdrove a 2006 Z06, and rode in it last wknd at the track. It was completely stock. The car has ridiculous power.:eek: I was doing 110 in 3rd in no time and I wasn't taking it to redline. To relate it I would say that it Pullls from 60 to 100 about as fast as a NSX pulls from 30 to 70. The car got sideways at 50 MPH:eek: All you need is 4 gears - the others are there just for decoration. The car accelerates hard - like a modified 996TT but its a bit more chaotic since it has such a broad TQ band. The car looks menacing too.

But, I don't see where I can use so much power. Without VSC the car would be wrecked within a week. Its way way too much power for most people and way too much power for street use. The car looks nice but nothing spectacular or exotic. According to the owner the car is quite difficult to drive on the track. Then again - this was his 1st wknd with the car and its completely stock.

I saw a 997 GT3 at the track too. I am still not enamored by the GT3. But its growing on me. Its a great track car that doubles as a DD if necessary. Right now I like the R8 the most. I am debating getting on a waiting list. I took the NSX to the track and it worked absolutely perfect. I was doing great, passing a few instructors. I was giggling away/laughing at the end of the session out loud. The guys parked next to me thought I had lost it. The car was so neutral, so balanced, it was working with me like a great dancing partner. So I am thinking why the heck would I get rid of it?

Still lost but I think the Z06 is off the list.

Ritesh.

Ritesh, I can somewhat anwser this question. I bought a 2000 NSX in 04 and sold it in 05, had it for 1 whole year. Loved the body and lines on the car, hate the lower gear powerband but loved it on the highend on the frwy. Also I sold it because I didnt like the color, I bought Silverstone. Last year I bought a 04 996 GT3, the first time I drove the car I fell in loved with it. In any gear that car just goessss, no lag nor BS. The handling is extremely sensitive but AWESOME. After owning it I tell my friends that I would not go with any other exotic sport cars in the 100K range. It is just fasttttt and the sound of the dry sump is loud. Bone stock and it kicks ass! However, this week I just picked up a 2002 YELLOW NSX and love it just as much, as Yellow is my color choice, but it is no GT3. Two differnt cars for two different seasons. I love the T TOP on the X and that is why I bought it. If you get a chace to drive a Porsche GT3 do it and you will understand. 1 more thing I just drove a 997 C2S and all I can say is that it drives like a Benz. The NSX seems to be a little more attractive in all aspects... Good luck!

I just don't get it, when people are talking about handling on a $90+k GT3 car that will only see the track on a sunny day when the girl friend is watching. I mean, the 996/7 GT3 might be ridiculous on a track, but HONESTLY how many folks (on Prime) are going to thrash their $100k car? Not many, I wouldn't think. As it relates to this thread - ANY of the cars mentioned will handle "far better" than Dr. Po Po will allow.

I guess my point is: if you are DEFINITELY going to track your new monster, go with the better/best track candidate (GT3 IMO). But, if you're honestly going to spend 95% of the time monkeying around town in the new toy - then who cares about a 5 mph difference in top speed, 0.2 sec. difference in 1/4 mile, and a "too dangerous for the street" skidpad rating on both?

Get what you want and screw the Car & Driver statistics.

Seriously -- bench racing is so cheeseball. If you want to race, then race (and spend). If you just want a kickass sportscar, that is going to spend most of the time in traffic, buy whatever floats your boat the most. My car is slower than any FI NSX, and is "only" as fast as most top cars these days (M3, 996/997C, C6 but not ZO6) -- I bought it because it was the best overall package for me, even though the stats aren't jawdropping.

And one last thing: HP is addictive. If you buy a car primarily because of its power (ie, Z06), you'll still get tired of it eventually and will want something faster. Veyron??? Hmmm no. I wish Alicia was faster, of course, but EVENTUALLY I would get tired of even that. And since I'm not racing my NSX, actual speed is irrelevant other than for entertaining me, my passengers, and my "seat of the pants".

Buy the best car. Rant off. :cool:

I just don't get it, when people are talking about handling on a $90+k GT3 car that will only see the track on a sunny day when the girl friend is watching. I mean, the 996/7 GT3 might be ridiculous on a track, but HONESTLY how many folks (on Prime) are going to thrash their $100k car? Not many, I wouldn't think. As it relates to this thread - ANY of the cars mentioned will handle "far better" than Dr. Po Po will allow.

I guess my point is: if you are DEFINITELY going to track your new monster, go with the better/best track candidate (GT3 IMO). But, if you're honestly going to spend 95% of the time monkeying around town in the new toy - then who cares about a 5 mph difference in top speed, 0.2 sec. difference in 1/4 mile, and a "too dangerous for the street" skidpad rating on both?

Get what you want and screw the Car & Driver statistics.

Seriously -- bench racing is so cheeseball. If you want to race, then race (and spend). If you just want a kickass sportscar, that is going to spend most of the time in traffic, buy whatever floats your boat the most. My car is slower than any FI NSX, and is "only" as fast as most top cars these days (M3, 996/997C, C6 but not ZO6) -- I bought it because it was the best overall package for me, even though the stats aren't jawdropping.

And one last thing: HP is addictive. If you buy a car primarily because of its power (ie, Z06), you'll still get tired of it eventually and will want something faster. Veyron??? Hmmm no. I wish Alicia was faster, of course, but EVENTUALLY I would get tired of even that. And since I'm not racing my NSX, actual speed is irrelevant other than for entertaining me, my passengers, and my "seat of the pants".

Buy the best car. Rant off. :cool:

Finally someone who speaks the truth.

Buy what you want. Every car on the list is faster than you'll probably ever need. Buy the one that makes your stomach drop when you look at it. If none of them do - then don't waste your money.

I think you've answered your own question...

I took the NSX to the track and it worked absolutely perfect. I was doing great, passing a few instructors. I was giggling away/laughing at the end of the session out loud. The guys parked next to me thought I had lost it. The car was so neutral, so balanced, it was working with me like a great dancing partner. So I am thinking why the heck would I get rid of it?
Ritesh.

Ritesh, I can somewhat anwser this question. I bought a 2000 NSX in 04 and sold it in 05, had it for 1 whole year. Loved the body and lines on the car, hate the lower gear powerband but loved it on the highend on the frwy. Also I sold it because I didnt like the color, I bought Silverstone. Last year I bought a 04 996 GT3, the first time I drove the car I fell in loved with it. In any gear that car just goessss, no lag nor BS. The handling is extremely sensitive but AWESOME. After owning it I tell my friends that I would not go with any other exotic sport cars in the 100K range. It is just fasttttt and the sound of the dry sump is loud. Bone stock and it kicks ass! However, this week I just picked up a 2002 YELLOW NSX and love it just as much, as Yellow is my color choice, but it is no GT3. Two differnt cars for two different seasons. I love the T TOP on the X and that is why I bought it. If you get a chace to drive a Porsche GT3 do it and you will understand. 1 more thing I just drove a 997 C2S and all I can say is that it drives like a Benz. The NSX seems to be a little more attractive in all aspects... Good luck!

Thanks. I drove a 997S a month ago and wasn't really impressed by it. Then again I am comparing the visceral experience of a completely track sorted NSX to a stock 997S with a bunch of luxury features. Not really a fair comparison.

There are some smoking deals on 996 GT3's. Lets see 996 GT3 + NSX = cost of new GT3 or R8. Hmmm. Its just that 996 GT3 are going to be more track orientated. I really don't want to deal with the maintenance headaches of owning 5 cars. The 997 Gt3 with PASM seems like a good compromise. I am getting a ride on a GT3RS next wknd at the track. I think that should help.

Ritesh

The GT3 is an amazing car. You can track it and use it as a daily driver. You even have room for stuff in the back. The trunk has decent space as well. If you compare a stock 996 GT3 to an NSX it is no contest on the track. It gets worse with the new 997 GT3. I've been in both. The new 997 version is more comfortable on the street due to the new shocks and PASM and might equal the NSX on the street for comfort.

I like the Z06 but I'm afraid I would tire of it soon. The front hubs are a known weak link. I've been in one and it is insane for the money.

Keeping the NSX: The NSX is a nice car, it has just been passed up as time and engineering don't stand still. A 99 porsche 996 weighs about the same as the NSX and it's made out of steel. But the NSX is still a head turner anywhere you go. Adding FI is an option to get to 400hp. Engine life goes down and you compete in a smaller resale market.

Keeping the current NSX + a 996 GT3. That would be a great choice.

Best bang for the buck: 996 GT3 at the current pricing. Also there are tons of after market parts and tuners. AS it gets warmer the GT3's like NSX's will go in price for a period.

If I could only have one car: 997 GT3 but the wife won't vote for it.

As others have noted it's your car your decission. I've been in all of the cars you mention with the exception of a well modified NSX track car.

If you happen to be at Mid-Ohio for the OVR PCA weekend on Apr 14-15 there will be at least one 997 GT3, maybe 2, and probably about 6 996 GT3's. Be a great time to check out the car and see what others think.

There was a recent article in one of the major car mags where they compared the new z06, GT3, Exirge, Noble M400, Atom, and perhaps a few others and the Z06 was #1 overall.

Why?

To start, it's the only car in that bunch that (like the NSX) is a good daily beater off the track, one that u can drive to the track, and one that u can tear up the track with some amazing numbers to boot.

The GT3 was second place. The fact that it had less HP/TQ than the Z06, harder to drive to the limits (required a more skilled driver), harsher ride, and costs more than the Z06 were the downfalls that I can recall.

A lot of factors here..

I'd get the GT3 if you like having exotics and money isn't a major issue. If you want something less costly to maintain and easier to abuse w/o issues go for the z06. I think the GT3 and or NSX would be more fun at the track as far as developing more driving skills. The two guys with z06's I know, one SC'd c5 z06, and one bolt-on c6 z06, both say they drive their cars like barbarians trying to hold it together as best they can in the corners and 'dropping the hammer' in the straights [and passing everyone].

It's not to say they aren't as fun or fast, but I can relate to what they are saying.

Certainly if you've never owned a 911 or 911 variant, I'd say try it out.

GT3 all the way!~

Attachments

• avartar.jpg
    avartar.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 53
Back