99 comptech vaule

480hp. Geez!

480 is rather questionable. Are you looking to buy it or sell it? That is far more power than I have EVER seen for a comptech SC.

:

Attachments

• bs.jpg
    bs.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 338
480 HP from the (edit) standard off the shelf (/edit) CT supercharger!

bullshit_anim_icon.gif

Last edited:
480 HP is possible, as Comptech has built some custom high-power setups. But it would be pretty uncommon and tough to slap a value on.

However if it is a standard CT supercharger that comes as a kit, transposing the last two digits to 408 HP is probably more realistic.

comptech vaule

You guys are right I spoke to the mechanic and he says 420 -450 hp one of the best ones he has seen. The salesman also got the year wrong. It is a 1998 with 11k miles. Any advice on how much I should pay for that car?

Re: comptech vaule

Tellarico said:
You guys are right I spoke to the mechanic and he says 420 -450 hp

Documented maintenance? When and what?

Carfax?

Tire condition?

Paint and body condition?

Accidents?

Is that HP at the crank or at the wheels?

Is this with the standard 6lb CT boost kit? Any other CT mods (suspension, brakes, wheels, body kit, engine, trim)

Was it tuned by anyone?

Is this number based on a Dyno?

Until you get a lot more information on the car, the date and millage of the CT goodies it is really hard to say what it is worth.

Also - if you do a search for CompTech supercharger you will get information from other owners that have reported their HP for similar mods (or repost here and ask). You can also go to CompTech's site at http://www.comptechusa.com/images/dyno/2000NSXscPlot3.pdf
where they are predicting 415HP at the crank and 369 at the wheels with the super I/H/E. Not everyone has achieved these levels but there are many variables involved.

Tellarico said:
You guys are right I spoke to the mechanic and he says 420 -450 hp one of the best ones he has seen. The salesman also got the year wrong. It is a 1998 with 11k miles.
Get more info. matteni gave you a good list of questions. Keep in mind, anyone can say anything they want. Ask for a copy of the dyno results. Unless you get that, it is pure heresay.

As to the salesman being wrong: Geez, I'm totaly shocked.:rolleyes: I had one just the other week promise me that the 99 Zanardi that he had just sold was for 86K. Hahahaha! Next day one of our members advertised it for sale for about 21K less (and he is obviously making a bit of a profit at that). Car salesman (most anyway)...can't live with-em, and can live without-em.:p

Tellarico said:
You guys are right I spoke to the mechanic and he says 420 -450 hp one of the best ones he has seen.

430-450 is still too high for just a standard Comptech supercharger. Get a list of exactly what has been done to the car and a dyno graph.

CTBS

In the 9/2002 Car and Driver magazine, Comptech claims that a 3.2L NSX with high boost kit CTSC pushing 8.5 lbs. along with CT I/H/E produces 460 HP/330 pound-feet of torque. Why that car is only one tenth of a second quicker than my stock car in the 1/4 mile is a question that I would like an answer to.

You guys are all assuming that this car has a Comptech supercharger.

I've heard lots of folks (usually ones trying to sell their cars) refer to their car as a "Comptech NSX" when the only thing that they have is a Comptech airbox or exhaust.

Needs WAY more information before anyone can guestimate a possible price.

Keep in mind that the HP numbers quoted are almost certainly supposed to be at the crank, not the rear wheels. So take the low end of their latest estimate (420) and deduct ~12% and you get 370. Not unreasonable for a tuned CTSC "9-lb" and not impossible for a really well tuned 6-lb.

That said, I'd still wager that the dealer has no real evidence one way or another and either inflated what the previous owner claimed or quoted whatever they thought sounded impressive enough based other claims they've seen or heard. The odds of them actually knowing anything concrete are slim.

In other words, after you determine answers to all of the other questions suggested above (which are actually more important) then decide what additional value you place on a CTSC if in fact that's what it has, but ignore any great claims of HP until they give you some hard evidence.

Back