97 Hardtop Blue Production numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about posting some pictures?? I think you're at the right place to advertise the car. I don't think the general public knows the rarity of a hardtop ('96-present).

Blue is very undesirable color in NSX and same for hardtop - everyone wants a targa, so the coupe in 97 will be especially difficult to sell.
Still, I am willing to take it off your hands ...... Yeah, nice try
biggrin.gif

(to clarify, the above was somewhat tongue in cheek)
Actually a good place to sell this car might be right here on this board - the discerning enthusiasts will probably appreciate the subtle uniqueness of this particular one. I cannot comment on any additional value - premium is only really a factor for someone who absolutely wants those features & is willing to pay any extra for them - others might think they are a detractor. As they say, beauty in the eye of beholder - certainly a rare combo but no intrinsic value for that alone IMO.
However low mileage 97 typically command strong price because they usually incorporate three main features that are generally desirable; 3.2L engine, 6-speed & T-top.
For me personally coupe (hardtop) is fine; others might devalue.
I would think on the mileage alone this car probably in the $50K range.

Hi Shawn,

The last time I spoke with the fellow who has the '97 blue NSX 6-speed coupe, he had quite a few miles on it (30K, 50K, I forget how many, but it was a lot more than 4K). His VIN ends in VT000269.

I assume you have a car with a different VIN. This could be due to any of the following factors:

1. It could be a car that was built for another market. (Canadian market cars have an "8" in the twelfth digit of the VIN. European market cars have a 0, 1, or 3, and if they have a 0, they also have a 0 in the tenth digit.)

2. The car could actually be a different year, perhaps a '99, in which case the tenth digit would be other than "V".

3. The car could have been repainted.

4. The car could actually be an NSX-T. Have you seen it in person?

5. The numbers in the FAQ could be wrong; however, they come direct from Acura, and I somewhat doubt it.

I'm betting on number 4.

Originally posted by harrier:
Would this car have any additional value because of this?

It depends in part on identifying which of the above reasons is responsible. If it is not a coupe, or it was repainted, then no. If it is a genuine low-mileage original Monte Carlo Blue coupe (not NSX-T), then it's possible that there might be someone out there who is willing to pay extra for it. Who knows? The only way you'll know is by selling it.

Even if the car is an NSX-T, it may carry a slight premium, because Monte Carlo Blue is a desirable color, few of them were made, and it's extremely difficult to find low-mileage mint-condition cars in that color, as Lud will be happy to testify.

Any reccomendations on where to sell this car would be appreciated.

The best places to sell an NSX, especially a special-interest NSX like a coupe, are the places that are specific to the NSX community, including the NSX internet mailing lists (primarily the big list and your regional list) and the following websites:

NSXprime
NSXSC
NSXchange
NSX Classifieds

as well as the general car-selling websites:

Autotrader
Cars.com
eBay Motors

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 31 December 2002).]

Originally posted by D'Ecosse:
I would think on the mileage alone this car probably in the $50K range.

Again, nice try, D'Ecosse.
wink.gif

Since the '97 cars with average mileage are typically selling in the low fifties, I would guess that you might be able to get upper fifties for this one, assuming it's an NSX-T. Maybe even more if you find someone willing to pay extra if it's really a coupe.

The fact that he bought it at an auction. Who knows the history of the car?
If the mileage is real or not, repainted, abused, etc.
In that case, it is the BUYER'S Market.
The value is what the potential buyer perceives how much your car values to him.

------------------
--
'03 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony
- 260 HP :) -> miles start to climb
'94 NSX Brooklands Green Pearl/ Onyx
- 10k miles
- GruppeM Intake & Exhaust V.3
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blue/ Grey - 5k miles
'93 300SE MBZ - 97k miles and running strong :)

Originally posted by insx:
The fact that he bought it at an auction. Who knows the history of the car?
If the mileage is real or not, repainted, abused, etc.
In that case, it is the BUYER'S Market.

I don't think that passing through auction necessarily makes it a buyer's market (a term that refers to a car that will sell at a discount from typical market value). On one hand, a car with an established, verifiable history may carry a premium at resale over one without such a history. On the other hand, a car that has been repainted or abused, or with condition not consistent with the number of miles on the odometer, may resell at a discount from typical market value.

Originally posted by insx:
The value is what the potential buyer perceives how much your car values to him.

Of course, that's always the case with any potential buyer. However, the process of determining fair market value for a particular car is essentially the process of determining the odds of finding a buyer who will be willing to buy the car at a given price.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Again, nice try, D'Ecosse.
wink.gif

Since the '97 cars with average mileage are typically selling in the low fifties, I would guess that you might be able to get upper fifties for this one, assuming it's an NSX-T. Maybe even more if you find someone willing to pay extra if it's really a coupe.

I don't believe average milage 97's go in the low 50's any more; even 99's are available @ ~ 50K.
I would agree that $50K is maybe a little low, but low 50's more appropriate - I certainly wouldn't pay high 50's, whether coupe or T!
(Consider the recent Zanardi -99 of course- that was even CT'd, recently @$55K or thereabouts as point of comparison - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1874093973)

I don't believe average milage 97's go in the low 50's any more; even 99's are available @ ~ 50K.

No, they're not. Decent '99 NSXs (clean title, six-speed, average ~15K mileage, no major accidents, excellent condition) typically are advertised with asking prices $60-63K and sell for upper fifties, $56-59K. Similar '97 NSXs with average ~25K miles tend to be in the low fifties; '97 cars selling for under $50K tend to have "issues" (above average miles, automatic, etc).

I certainly wouldn't pay high 50's, whether coupe or T![/URL]

Hey, I wouldn't pay $180K for a new 360 Modena. That doesn't mean that's not a reasonable price for a dealer to ask.
wink.gif

(Consider the recent Zanardi -99 of course- that was even CT'd, recently @$55K or thereabouts as point of comparison

I don't consider eBay prices to be an accurate barometer of prices for a car that's been well maintained. The process of using eBay is too risky, with too many instances of misrepresentation, that condition is often not what is stated, and prices reflect that.

I don't consider eBay prices to be an accurate barometer of prices for a car that's been well maintained. The process of using eBay is too risky, with too many instances of misrepresentation, that condition is often not what is stated, and prices reflect that.

DITTO

Are you crazy I love coupes. I think they are more better of a car than a targa. But that is my opinion. Reason No.1 is because I don't like the wind hitting my face, No.2 it is more safe than a targa version, and NO.3 it is it is the best performing 97-99 NSX except for the Zanardis, I think.

If I had the money I would buy that blue one off of you so fast you wouldn't even notice you sold it.

Good luck to you and hope you sell it to someone great.

Just to clairfy...

All NSXs are "hard tops" from the factory.

The NSX-T uses a hard aluminum removable roof panel.

A coupe does not have a removable roof panel.

Do you have a -T or a coupe?

This car is a coupe. The top is not removable.
Originally posted by Lud:
Just to clairfy...

All NSXs are "hard tops" from the factory.

The NSX-T uses a hard aluminum removable roof panel.

A coupe does not have a removable roof panel.

Do you have a -T or a coupe?

Why not just post some pics? I think that would solve everything if we can see the actual car.

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

1. It could be a car that was built for another market. (Canadian market cars have an "8" in the twelfth digit of the VIN. European market cars have a 0, 1, or 3, and if they have a 0, they also have a 0 in the tenth digit.)

2. The car could actually be a different year, perhaps a '99, in which case the tenth digit would be other than "V".

3. The car could have been repainted.

4. The car could actually be an NSX-T. Have you seen it in person?

5. The numbers in the FAQ could be wrong; however, they come direct from Acura, and I somewhat doubt it.

6. The odometer has been rolled back?

Agree wholeheartedly. I've found eBay prices/bids to be *way* out of whack. For example, I just sold my '95 Stealth (not even R/T or TT model) w/67.5k mi for $7100 locally. Check the current and closed auctions on eBay--nowhere do the prices even approach that!

OK Shawn, can't wait to see it.
Post the pictures please from as many angles.

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:

This is more likely the reason than it being a Canadian car. The coupe was not available in Canada after 1994. And the automatic trans has been discontinued in 2002.

I can't believe a car with 4k miles on it needs new tires but from what I read these cars chew up tires.

It's not uncommon for an NSX to need new rear tires after 4K miles, but not new front tires, which typically last 10-20K miles.

Originally posted by WeakestLink:
Carfax is showing this car is a Targa.

That's absolutely true. The "6" in the eighth position of the VIN indicates that this car should be an NSX-T.

CarFax is incorrect. This is a coupe.

No, CarFax is simply interpreting the car's VIN, and doing so correctly. On all '97+ NSXs, the eighth position of the VIN tells whether it is an NSX-T with a removable roof ("6"), a Zanardi ("2"), or a non-Zanardi coupe ("3").

The problem with this car is not that CarFax is wrong, but rather, that the body style doesn't match the VIN. Why would that be? I don't know. I suppose someone could have done body work to an NSX-T to make it into a fixed-roof coupe, or the VIN could have been switched. The factory doesn't usually make errors in the VIN, since that's how they keep track of how cars are built as they're moving down the assembly line. Maybe someone can think of some additional reasons why the VIN wouldn't match the car.

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:

That would only be true if this were my friend's car, which it obviously isn't because it has a different VIN.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 31 December 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 31 December 2002).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back