95-96 nsx

Hi,

Newbie here, looking for my first NSX. Lots of great info on this site.

Need a price check, looking at 95-96 NSX's with about 30k miles. they need the TB/WP.

What do you think is a market price for these cars?

thank you

G

First, to find a 95-96 with 30k miles will not be too easy. Also, the seller will
think this car is GOLD with a resultant high price or crazy price. You could probably buy a newer model with close to the same mileage for not much more. Look at the crazy ask prices for 91's with low mileage.

There is a green 96 on the for sale forum with a 26k ask as I recall. IMO,
a fair price for both seller and buyer!

Look at the 2002 Salvage title on the site with a 35k ask! Talked to the shop that just did a PPI and he was positive on the car. He stated, not the best
paint job but by far not the worst. Only an in person look , could determine
how satisfactory it is!

Also, IMO people on this site do not like to discuss "sold" prices on the forum.
Email the recent buyers and they are generally co-operative with telling
you what they paid.

IMO--nice 97-98 can be bought for around 35k---same as some people ask for a 91 -92. Like homes-they bought at the wrong time.

36,000 to 38,000 something like that if maintenance is done sooo I would guess 34,000 to 36,000 without you could maybe find a lower price but be prepared to wait a while lol

Last edited:
First, to find a 95-96 with 30k miles will not be too easy. Also, the seller will
think this car is GOLD with a resultant high price or crazy price. You could probably buy a newer model with close to the same mileage for not much more. Look at the crazy ask prices for 91's with low mileage.

There is a green 96 on the for sale forum with a 26k ask as I recall. IMO,
a fair price for both seller and buyer!

Look at the 2002 Salvage title on the site with a 35k ask! Talked to the shop that just did a PPI and he was positive on the car. He stated, not the best
paint job but by far not the worst. Only an in person look , could determine
how satisfactory it is!

Also, IMO people on this site do not like to discuss "sold" prices on the forum.
Email the recent buyers and they are generally co-operative with telling
you what they paid.

IMO--nice 97-98 can be bought for around 35k---same as some people ask for a 91 -92. Like homes-they bought at the wrong time.

The OP, who describes themself as a "newbie" because he/she has been on this site only TWO YEARS is getting told how it is from instant expert only here TWO MONTHS, does not own a NSX but feels they are in the position to define the market. How lucky are we.:rolleyes:

PBASSJO
As you are a current owner and I am a wannabe--I am sure that I have looked at many more NSX's for sale than you have in the last 2-3 months.I am also sure that you know a lot more about them then I do.

I believe my numbers are correct! Look at the post "just bought on 11-13 09.
Then go to autorader and find the car and description.Nice 97 with an ask of $36,000.

Also,look at the 95 auto on ebay-Eugene or--I talked to the previous owner-
nice car -had a small accident--he sold it to the dealer for 23k

Last one--98 automatic in Ca-nice car -around 40,000.

IMO, really, I would prefer a 91-94 with manual steering, wire throttle, OBD1 coupe.
Pretty much the same price.

I would guess that the targa is on the list of wants for the OP. If not why would he pick 95/96? I am also guessing he picked 95/96 because it is the least expensive way to get into a targa. For that reason telling him to buy a 91-94 or 2002 really is not sticking to his criteria.

Hi,

Newbie here, looking for my first NSX. Lots of great info on this site.

Need a price check, looking at 95-96 NSX's with about 30k miles. they need the TB/WP.

What do you think is a market price for these cars?

thank you

G

Over my 18 month search for an NSX, and ultimately buying a 1996 with 23,500 miles on it, I'd say $36-38k would be the going rate today for a 95-96, with low miles, and assuming we're talking about a car in tip top shape. You will need to subtract $2k to the price for TB/WB + "probably" a valve job for deferred maintenance. Potential new owners should do a PPI for peace of mind and done by a place you can trust knows NSX's. Nice stock low mileage NA1 cars are getting harder to come buy so patience is needed. Good luck in your search, maybe this one your looking at now is the one!!

Whats the deal with "Gotta have the low mile NSX's" I got mine with 100,000 great shape all around, for 20,000 drive like new, some issues but its an 18 years old car, low this low that,, so many things can go wrong with a car that is never driven,, atleast I know mine has had fun in her life, would you adopt a dog that was caged all its life and then want it to play with you children? NO,, same thing, A high mile NSX is just as good as a Low mile one,, you get the same compliments the same questions, the same looks, and stares,, spend 20,000 and the extra 15,000 use it to hook it up! god low miles,, it was hand made it will last forever,, Time cant touch an NSX!!!!!!!! period!!!!!!

Last edited:
Here is my 2 cents on low mileage cars. You pay a premium and expect the car will be perfect-but that is impossible--so you have a bit or a lot of DISAPPOINTMENT!

You buy a high miler and expect some problems-but you buy it and the car is great with only minor problems---so what do you have- A ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH!
One of the best cars I have ever owned was a 1987 Alfa Milano Verde with
164,000 miles---if the NSX makes me feel this good, I will be a happy camper. I have driven several and the feel is similar---nimble, responsive
and it will do what you expect it to do in the corners. If you ever get a chance
drive a Verde, do it with an OPEN MIND! Nothing outbrakes an ALFA.

PBASSJO
I am sure that I have looked at many more NSX's for sale than you have in the last 2-3 months.

I believe my numbers are correct!

Then go to autorader and find the car and description.Nice 97 with an ask of $36,000.

I just did a search on AutoTrader for 97-98 NSX, nationwide.
There were nine listed with prices.

There were 4 under 40k: $36,500,$38,750,$38,991 and $39,500. ($38,435 avg.)

The other 5: $44,900,$44,500,$48,000,$49,500 and $67,179.

You may find a nice 1997-1998 car for $35k, anything is possible but there isn't one on AutoTrader right now. Who knows if any of the cars that are listed there are "nice" even at the prices they are asking which are ALL above 35k.

Buy a 97 for $35k that needs belts, hoses, soon a clutch, fluids and tires and you're over 40k.

There's more to the story than just price.

You're enthusiastic, that's understandable. I hope you find what you want at the price you dream but a NSX market maven you are from from being. Welcome aboard but don't start teaching just yet.

By the way, did you hear about the perfect 2005 with 700 miles being offered on Criagslist by a jilted, angry divorcée for $10,500? Really. No, seriously my friend told me he talked to her and was going to send her the money just as soon as he got his cut from helping out a deposed Prince from Africa get some funds being held abroad, in trust for him.:biggrin:

Last edited:
You mean outbreaks.

FD's, Corvettes, Lotus, now Alfa?

Lol.......Joe man stop editing!You are much more fun the first time around!

Whats the deal with "Gotta have the low mile NSX's" I got mine with 100,000 great shape all around, for 20,000 drive like new, some issues but its an 18 years old car, low this low that,, so many things can go wrong with a car that is never driven,, atleast I know mine has had fun in her life, would you adopt a dog that was caged all its life and then want it to play with you children? NO,, same thing, A high mile NSX is just as good as a Low mile one,, you get the same compliments the same questions, the same looks, and stares,, spend 20,000 and the extra 15,000 use it to hook it up! god low miles,, it was hand made it will last forever,, Time cant touch an NSX!!!!!!!! period!!!!!!

I think you bring a very valid view point to the table. I've always been a "virgin" (sheesh, how much trouble am I going to get in with posting this word) car owner. That is: wanting 4 wheels that are close to new in every way. In my 18 month search, I did look at higher mileage cars but just could not come to grips with overall condition, usage, number of prior owners, owners records (lack of) of the higher mileage cars. They good ones are out there I'm sure I just had a hard time finding one....low mileage are not that much easier. I ended up with a car that fit my needs, it was low miles...but all my cars have been that way. My low mileage car by the way does not have those "not used/lack of use" gremlins people talk about.

I'm not arguing your point, just folks have different views.......

I just did a search on AutoTrader for 97-98 NSX, nationwide.
There were nine listed with prices.

There were 4 under 40k: $36,500,$38,750,$38,991 and $39,500. ($38,435 avg.)

The other 5: $44,900,$44,500,$48,000,$49,500 and $67,179.

You may find a nice 1997-1998 car for $35k, anything is possible but there isn't one on AutoTrader right now. Who knows if any of the cars that are listed there are "nice" even at the prices they are asking which are ALL above 35k.

Buy a 97 for $35k that needs belts, hoses, soon a clutch, fluids and tires and you're over 40k.

There's more to the story than just price.

You're enthusiastic, that's understandable. I hope you find what you want at the price you dream but a NSX market maven you are from from being. Welcome aboard but don't start teaching just yet.

By the way, did you hear about the perfect 2005 with 700 miles being offered on Criagslist by a jilted, angry divorcée for $10,500? Really. No, seriously my friend told me he talked to her and was going to send her the money just as soon as he got his cut from helping out a deposed Prince from Africa get some funds being held abroad, in trust for him.:biggrin:

In my 18 month search, my purchase of the 96 was substantially less than a comparable 97/98 car. If it were close I'd have gone for the 97/98....however NA2 not important/show stopper as I've commented on other posts.

Once you have defined what year, options and condition you want in a car, the current value is the mean price of what vehicles that fit that profile are being offered for. It's what the average car of that profile costs if you but one right at that moment.

The industry standard is a 30 sampling period.

That it takes someone 3 months, 18 months or 19 years to finally purchase one doe not make their experience market definitive in terms of real, current pricing.

One thing I have noticed is that regardless of the age, condition or purchase price of a used NSX, more than a few new owners refer to their car as being whatever the highest stickered price a brand new NSX ever was.They also tend to add full list of any mods to that number as well.:biggrin:

Of course, present company excepted.

Last edited:
I would guess that the targa is on the list of wants for the OP. If not why would he pick 95/96? I am also guessing he picked 95/96 because it is the least expensive way to get into a targa. For that reason telling him to buy a 91-94 or 2002 really is not sticking to his criteria.

Your guess is as good as mine.

If your going to daily drive or regularly drive an NSX the yes a higher mileage one makes sense because the "new" has already been worn off thus the values will be closer when the car is sold.

However if you only drive it rarely and its more of a collector then low miles or super low miles work.

I still get a kick out of opening the door on my 91 and it still has the new car smell.

thank you for the responses. Please keep them coming.

Let me give you a little backround info on myself. I'm a car nut, having owned about 15+ cars in the last 20 years.

I currently have a 2008 BMW M3 sedan as my daily driver for work and driving my two small children to school. I also use it as an occasional auto x car.

I also have a 2002 911 C4S as a weekend fun car. I love the fact that it fits four so my wife and kids can go along.

I'm been wanting an NSX since I drove a new one back in 2000. I used to have a part time job for a delivery service (I worked there to drive exotic cars not for the tiny amount of money it paid).

It was a memorable drive driving the NSX over the George Washington bridge and delivering it to the World Trade Center. I've wanted one ever since.

I test drove a used 97 a few years along and loved it. The mods and lack of maintenance done on the car made me pass on it.

I would like to get a 97 +. I love the idea of a targa top. I'm not a convertible guy, but since my other two cars are coupes, it would be nice to have a car that I can take the roof off in the nice weather. In the past I had a 94 & 95 vette and kept the targa tops off all the time.

I do like to do track events, I've done over 100 time trials, HPDE, and auto x is the last 10 years. I've driven Z06's, M3's, Lotus Elises, S2000's, miata's Spec racers and Forumla dodge's at the track.

Now with 2 kids, I'm lucky I go more than twice a year so the NSX would not be a track car. I would probably track it once or twice just to learn how to handle the car at the limit.

The thought of a 95-96 occured to me that I could get the targa and they seemed to sell for significantly less than the NA2 97's+.

I know that it is the lowest NSX, but in my experience, a good driver at the track can more than make up for a slower car. It all comes down to driving skill. It's better to invest in your self, i.e. racing schools, etc., than to mod your car. Mods won't make you a better driver.

Since this is a third car, the less I spend the better. I would definetly consider an NA1 91-94 in the $25k range. I would like to have a targa but would not spend an extra $10k just to have one.

I test drove a 95 and it felt about as fast I remember the 97 to be. Maybe because the car is so low to the ground. If I compared it back to back, maybe that would be a different story.

keep the suggestions coming.

Glenn

I think the 95-96 cars are attractive if price and the "targa " top are your major criterior.If you have driven both na1 and na2 and the 6 speed and slightly greater torque did'nt justify the 4-5k price diference, then you are a good candidate for the 95-96.I have been tracking my 96 with mods but no FI for years as well and as always the driver is the determiner of ultimate lap times.

I think the 95-96 cars are attractive if price and the "targa " top are your major criterior.If you have driven both na1 and na2 and the 6 speed and slightly greater torque did'nt justify the 4-5k price diference, then you are a good candidate for the 95-96.I have been tracking my 96 with mods but no FI for years as well and as always the driver is the determiner of ultimate lap times.

Unfortunately I didn't drive the NA1 and NA2 back to back. It was about a year between test drives. The NA1 did feel pretty quick

Back