'93 NSX unibody is unforgiving to front impact

I am new to Prime. Have owned several Porsches over the yrs but the Porsche style has become boring so I'd like something different. But since it's only a toy & in this economy, I decided to look in the $20k range, limiting local available NSX's. I have looked at 4 NSX's in the '91-93 range. All "appeared" nice & drove well, tracking nicely @ 70 MPH. Unfortunately, all had evidence of low speed front impact damage over the life of the car. Apparently the monocoque (sp?) aluminum shell is unforgiving, even in low impact accidents. I am currently looking at a red/black '93 with 102k mi, an "automatic" (I know "An automatic??"). Needs water pump/timing belt ($1500+). May offer $18k or less or walk away.
Anyway. It looks & drives great BUT on inspection by an NSX tech I was told "the left sway bar is very close, possibly touching the left strut" (The right is fine) and "the steering rack has excessive play" (cause unknown). I measured left front tire is displaced about 1/2" back. i.e. It got wacked on the left front in 2001. My "caveat emptor" gut is to just walk away.
Rarity, otherwise overall good condition & Price are only thing coaxing me. Any & all thoughts welcome. Purists will say, stay away!! I probably would. I'd like to also hear possible reasons to buy anyway ('cuz it's so cool & purdy lookin'- LOL) If so, how much should I discount offer- since such structural damage can't be fixed?:confused:

Reply to: rkh2619@bellsouthnet

Robert

Structural damage - stay away
Automatic - stay away

The reality of the matter.... do you want a car that will never drive true?
Do you want a car that will be extremely difficult to resell?

There are ALOT of nice NSXs on the market right now. Don't settle, get a decent one.

May offer $18k or less or walk away.

At 18K you will be doing a lot of walking .

LOL you will not find a rebuilt / salvage NSX for 18K end of story auto or not! (If you do it’s a scam)

Good Luck and Welcome to Prime. Check out the FAQ section at the top of the page. It will save you from asking questions, that have been answered a million times. There are high mileage sub 30K NSXs that have not been wrecked I would look into that.

Welcome :smile: The truth of the matter is you need to pony up more in the neighborhood of the high 20k's to get a good car. Your basically seeing the bottom of the barrel. Trying to save money will cost you more in the long run.

Good Luck on your search

I am not entirely sure about what you mean with the statement that the aluminum monocoque body is unforgiving.
In fact, the monocoque body of the NSX is a very strong and rigid construction.
The problem is not that the NSX is strong or not strong. The problem is more than it requires (very) skilled hands to repair a NSX who has had frontal damage. The front beams of the NSX are very strong, but they are also designed to bent in a very specific way. If you take a look at the chassis beams on the NSX you will notice that on the inside, about half-way their length, there is a slight kind of indent over the full height of the beam. This is by design and every single NSX I have seen that has been in a frontal accident of some severity has at least one beam bent in that specific area.

Repairing such damage in a NSX is a very expensive thing and therefore it seems to more and more cars are appearing in which the repair has been done in only a so-so way to cut costs. The result is often less than 100%.

In your specific case, I would definately NOT buy that NSX. I understand that the price may be low to very but then again, there is a very good REASON why it is so cheap.

Thanks. Replies were pretty much what I thought. Improper body repair, automatic, waterpump/timing belt & 100k mi are major all issues. I blew off deal.

When you say very expensive to repair front structural damage- are we talking $5k $10k more? I realize with only 8900 total cars, parts are VERY pricy.

I am looking now at a 92 with 64k mi, 5 sp with snap ring transmission rebuild under warranty. Owner says it needs "AC climate control unit" repair/rebuild He says about $150. Is this just smoke or possible cost? He states he has all records since 7k mi.

Thanks for general reply & thoughts.

Robert

I am looking now at a 92 with 64k mi, 5 sp with snap ring transmission rebuild under warranty. Owner says it needs "AC climate control unit" repair/rebuild He says about $150. Is this just smoke or possible cost? He states he has all records since 7k mi.

Robert

Repair on the climate control runs $180 or $145. It's a very comon problem.

I agree spend 22-25000 range and get a manual. You will be happier in the long run

Back