93' nsx noise and power

On a creeper under my car in new braunfels texas
I'm new to the NSX and drove my first one today that I was looking at to purchase. The car itself is in excellent condition 57k miles. 1st question: Is the V-Tech noticeable when it kicks in. I had a 98' Prelude and when the V-Tech kicked in it was a strong punch. But I did not notice it in the nsx. 2nd quest: There was a lot of valvetrain noise, is this the norm or does it need a valve adjustment. Overall the car felt down on power. But I drive a 420hp Stealth twinturbo everyday that runs 12.7@108mph in the 1/4. The nsx had a K/N airfilter, Comptech headders and exaust. Any thoughts out there would be helpful. thanks...

For me, I can't really tell when the VTEC kicks in or not because I drive the NSX hard. However, due to the linear power delivery of the NSX, you will not notice VTEC too much.

"Valve-train noise," you said. Yes, it does happen if you or the last owner are/was hard on the clutch.

Take it in for a little check if that will give you mind comfort. I usually get engine/tranny cleaning chemicals to clean the internal every now and then.

*interesting*

hmmm- clutch is mentioned above...by NSX/MR2! Chris- the car you test-drove has a performance clutch (the owner had told me) Also- he/the owner wasn't aware of past valve-adjustments/services or even if he had such done while owning it. NSXFoYoAss is in the area- and seems well versed w/ X's that have I/H/E along w/ aftermarket performance clutches; send him a shout-out to perhaps check it out. . . :)

I've owned both a Prelude with the 2.2 VTEC engine as well as an NSX. The Prelude's VTEC transition at ~5100rpm is marked by an abrupt change in engine note and a sudden boost in power. The NSX's transition is much smoother, almost imperceptible. The major change I notice in the NSX is the exhaust note gets louder and makes a more snarling sound, but the torque doesn't spike...the powerband is more smoothly continuous. Hope that helps.

Back