91-93 NSX vs S2000

In my opinion, the NSX's front end washes out much too prematurely than anything else I've driven in quite some time. I think Honda dialed in too much understeer that even a inexperienced driver would have a difficult time losing this car.

In so far as changing tire pressure to adjust handling; I've never liked this idea. I played with my tire pyrometer a lot to tune this and in the end I decided that it wasn't worth it. In essense, to make the car more "neutral" you make the front tirepressures ideal, and make the rear tire pressures somewhat off. This seems like you are just giving up overall performance for the sake of neutrality..

I have to pleed ignorance on the topic of NSX tuning; but I believe that the stock suspension is tunable to some degree..

Is the rear sway bar adjustable?
Is the front camber adjustable?

Either of those could make a huge difference...

-Jeremy

yeaaaaaaaaaa...

CerberusM5 said:
I would choose an S2000 over a 91-93 NSX. I personally don't want a car 13+ years old. I generally think newer is better.

If you were considering a 97 NSX-T, I would probably put it at the top of the list. The 3.2 liter motor, six speed tranny, removable roof and other minor upgrades make the NSX-T much more desireable to me versus a 91-93.

hmmm.... I guess you're right. I really messed up... :redface:

I simply went the route of a 91-94 NSX w/ full maint/service history from a dealership that is amongst the best in the country for NSX's, below avg miles for age, pro-active replacement of consumables (brakes, clutch, etc), garage kept, bi-monthly professional detailing (including under the hood & engine compartment), and blah blah blah. I then partied like a rockstar w/ $5k & put the other $50k in the bank in a foreign country where interest actually beats inflation, lol...!

Have you pondered that the reason why your '95+ NSX isn't a solid as you wished for, due to the sublte structural rigidity lost by having a T?

The added displacement (3.0 -> 3.2), the added gear, and slightly revised brakes do make the '97+ models attractive.

In fairness, one should reserve their comments/critiques to only comparing the '91-'01 models of the NSX/NSX-T. They are roughly 95% similar (yes, I have my unique method of calc, lol). The '02+ are a bit more variant due to the revised aerodynamics (revised front & rear fascia/lights, optional interior colour schemes, etc).

Another thing that was left out is how the NSX can be seen as minimally depreciating investment relative to it's contemporaries. A '91 NSX had the MSRP of $60k and its current value is $30k (I'm being general here). Not too bad for a 15yr old car, roughly 50% diminished in depreciation. Meanwhile a Porsche Boxter_S only 4-5yrs old is worth 1/3 of it's original value (I was surprised to learn this too when my friend bought one this past summer.

Re: yeaaaaaaaaaa...

Osiris_x11 said:
Meanwhile a Porsche Boxter_S only 4-5yrs old is worth 1/3 of it's original value (I was surprised to learn this too when my friend bought one this past summer.
[/FONT]

I'll take a '01 Boxster S for $18-21k. Tell me where!

Osiris_x11 said:
Have you pondered that the reason why your '95+ NSX isn't a solid as you wished for, due to the sublte structural rigidity lost by having a T?

Another thing that was left out is how the NSX can be seen as minimally depreciating investment relative to it's contemporaries. A '91 NSX had the MSRP of $60k and its current value is $30k (I'm being general here). Not too bad for a 15yr old car, roughly 50% diminished in depreciation. Meanwhile a Porsche Boxter_S only 4-5yrs old is worth 1/3 of it's original value (I was surprised to learn this too when my friend bought one this past summer.
[/FONT]

Agreed, that the chassis flex is primarily accountable to the removable roof. I did know that buying the NSX-T was a compromise in handling, but since Honda no longer offers the coupe in the U.S., my choice was limited if I wanted a new NSX.

Also, the early NSXs have displayed excellent resale value and low depreciation given the amount of years elapsed. Very impressive indeed.
I can only hope the passing years will be as kind to the late model cars. In regards to Porsche, the air cooled 993s have displayed very similar low depreciation curves as well. The Boxster is another story.

I have bought many new cars over the years and every time I keep telling myself to stop buying new and buy used to avoid the excessive first year depreciation. However, I just don't seem to take my own good advice. :redface:

Any consideration for a Lotus Elise?

honda606 said:
Does the truth really hurt you that much?

I absolutely love the NSX but I'm not jaded when it comes to one car over the other.

I am sorry, but the 2005 Boxster S will not "slaughter" a 3.2 liter NSX and to say so is certainly not evidence of being an informed car enthusiast.

To use such terminology certainly shows a bit of anti-NSX sentiment despite your profession of love.

The specifications of the new Boxster are such that it may be competitive with the NSX but there is no indication of any ability to slaughter an NSX.

The 2.0 S2000 was a great car with the best shifter made. It was light on torque, but seemed fine to me. No Vette, but a very quick car that handles like a go-kart.

As far as limit handling, my experience was that the car UNDERsteered, not oversteered, and I remember reading that Honda intentionally dialed the car this way to keep people out of trouble. I took one into a right angled turn (intersection) at 40mph and it pushed until hooking back up, even throttle-on.

The NSX is just a different class of car. The 97+ also has a phenomenal shifter and handles like a go kart, but it's not as tossable as the S2000. As for the 91-93, I've never driven or been in one. But, limit handling on the NSX can vary. My buddy totalled my 00 two weeks ago and it gave throttle on oversteer out the yin yang, which caused him to spin us into the trees. My latest 00 does not handle this way, I can feel that it has slight understeer at limit and a fairly neutral balance. The last one definitely oversteered. Perhaps the car is more susceptible to tire choice.

As far as Porsches go, great cars, but everyone has one. I see multiple 911s during my 20 minute commute every day (NoVA area). Boxsters are so common that I do not even notice them anymore. I've seen more Ferraris here than NSXs. So, if exclusivity matters, the NSX has it by FAR over the s2000, which is fairly common as well. The other night, people came OUT of a restaurant to stare at my car as we pulled up. The NSX is an exotic; nobody is going to behave like that for a Vette or a Porsche. The guy I was with at the time has a 996 and nobody has ever paid much attention to us pulling up anywhere.

The S2000 was a fun car, ableit with some compromises in size, ubiquity, and convertible. The NSX-T is simply the most fun car I've ever driven. It's a high precision machine that goes really freakin fast and you can take the top off of it. Flying down the NJTP at 130mph the other day, I swear the grin wrapped all the way around my head.

2005 Boxster S - 2965 lbs. 280hp/236tq

2005 NSX - 3153 lbs. 290hp/224tq

Slaughter was a harsh word to use to describe the advantages the new Boxster S has over the NSX but to say that an S2000 or said Boxster S can't compare is simply ridiculous.

I believe the Cayman S will end all doubts about the NSX being competitive.

honda606 said:

Hopefully by then the NSX has officially retired to avoid further embarassment.

honda606 said:
Slaughter was a harsh word to use to describe the advantages the new Boxster S has over the NSX but to say that an S2000 or said Boxster S can't compare is simply ridiculous.

Good thing I never said that, and I don't see how it justifies your comment, which you have now apparently abandoned.

A simple comparison of power and weight is not an answer to the question being posed here. Nor are skidpad numbers.

brahtw8 said:
Good thing I never said that, and I don't see how it justifies your comment, which you have now apparently abandoned.

A simple comparison of power and weight is not an answer to the question being posed here. Nor are skidpad numbers.

I agree there are a lot of other factors involved that make a well rounded sports car and some things do not appear on specification sheets. If pure statistics was the only thing that was important, then cars like the Dodge SRT-10 Viper would be king. However, it is how all the parts come together that's most important. That's why the NSX is a special car, since it exceeds the sum of its parts.

I just wish Honda included a 4.0 V8, aggressive suspension, Brembo caliber brakes and larger wheels/tires into the parts mix and keep the price in the $80k+ range. Then it would be properly prepared to battle with the NSX's direct competitor, the GT3. However, currently the NSX is armed with a butter knife and the competition has assault rifles.

Last edited:
honda606 said:
Does the truth really hurt you that much?

Not at all.
FYI the duck babbling away in the picture has driven both the NSX and the new Boxter S. Those webbed feet are great for heel/toe maneuvers. :tongue:

Last edited:
pbassjo said:
FYI the duck babbling away in the picture has driven both the NSX and the new Boxter S. Those webbed feet are great for heel/toe maneuvers. :tongue:

How does it steer and shift at the same time? :confused:

I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in So Cal, I see more chicks driving S2K's and Boxters then I see guys driving them...Maybe it's just me??? But as far as looks, performance, exclusivity, realiability, depreciation and just plain "WOW" :eek: factor added all up, the NSX should not be in the same catagory as those two "chick cars" :wink:
(disclaimer: NO OFFENSE to those who own either..just my observation :smile: )
I'm sure you'll make the right choice....

91 X said:
I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in So Cal, I see more chicks driving S2K's and Boxters then I see guys driving them...Maybe it's just me??? But as far as looks, performance, exclusivity, realiability, depreciation and just plain "WOW" :eek: factor added all up, the NSX should not be in the same catagory as those two "chick cars" :wink:
(disclaimer: NO OFFENSE to those who own either..just my observation :smile: )
I'm sure you'll make the right choice....

Not that it matters to me, but does that mean the S2000 and Boxster will attract more chicks than the NSX? Absolutely. The same reason women don't drive NSX's is the same reason why they don't attract womens attention.

Cars like the SLK, Boxster, S2000 and Audi TT will always attract a lot more women than the NSX.

Last edited:
CerberusM5 said:
Not that it matters to me, but does that mean the S2000 and Boxster will attract more chicks than the NSX? Absolutely. The same reason women don't drive NSX's is the same reason why they don't attract womens attention.

Cars like the SLK, Boxster, S2000 and Audi TT will always attract a lot more women than the NSX.

If you have to drive a certain car to attract women, that is a whole other issue. :biggrin:

Here I go.

IMO a single woman looks at the car a man drives as a general indicator if she will have to work for a living if she marries him. :wink:

pbassjo said:
Here I go.

IMO a single woman looks at the car a man drives as a general indicator if she will have to work for a living if she marries him. :wink:

Even if I were driving a Carrera GT, I'd still expect her to work to pay for the gas at least. :)

CerberusM5 said:

I have had chicks roll up on me and honk, wave, blow kisses, and all manner of stuff in the NSX. In jaded DC metro, ppl don't give a crap about s2000s and Boxsters or SLKs. You see a million of them everyday. We pulled up to a restaurant in as-yuppie-as-it-can-get Arlington the other night and the waitresses on shift came OUT of the restaurant and stood on the sidewalk to see the car. The doors were glass. When we pulled up, the host opened the damned door for me on his way out to look at my car, along with a waiter who happened to be going by. And, then they told their chick coworkers who came out onto the sidewalk too. You don't get this type of heat from a freaking S2000 or a Boxster. Nobody CARES about those cars because they are everywhere. The NSX will get you attention a little shy of what a Ferrari gets. C'mon man, w/ all those cars you have, you gotta know this.

liftshard said:
The NSX will get you attention a little shy of what a Ferrari gets.

In the San Diego / La Jolla area I see more Ferraris than NSXs. So as far as I'm concerned the NSX should get more attention. I love Ferrari to death but with the 360 they made the production numbers high enough where they sprouted up all over the place. Much like the Boxster when it was released.

Attracting women?? I live in the city.. The women I date almost never see my car since I only use it to drive to work.. So.. Not an issue to me..

-Jeremy

PS: I've changed my mind.. I think I want a 97+ now... I don't really want the added weight, but the 6sp + 3.2 + T make it sorta worth it..

Back