9 year old timing belt.

Never underestimate Hondas quality. Had my TB service this week. Next month would be 9 years and 42,000 miles since the last time. The belt "literally" looked like it had 200 miles on it. Flawless. :wink:

Never underestimate Hondas quality. Had my TB service this week. Next month would be 9 years and 42,000 miles since the last time. The belt "literally" looked like it had 200 miles on it. Flawless. :wink:

I recently had my timing belt changed too. Mine was 15 years old with about 60,000 miles on it. They certainly hold up better than the timing belt on a Civic or Accord. Although it's a very mild climate where I live. If the climate were more extreme here I would have changed it far sooner. You can be sure that Honda's US service interval for these belts is intended to address the likely worst case scenario.

I just did my Timing Belt this spring. 3rd belt on this car at 48,000 miles.
The belt looked brand new.
but
the car had the original T/B idler pulley and the original water pump
The idler was positioned wrong. detent was missed.
two T/B cover gaskets were missing
valve cover gaskets were not changed
two bolts were missing
one bolt was lose.
last T/B change was done at a Acura Dealership. shotty job at the least.

Sometimes it is more than just the belt that needs service. I have piece of mind now it has been done properly.

11 year old with 25k km reporting in... Also near new.
That piece of mind is worth it though.

I just did my Timing Belt this spring. 3rd belt on this car at 48,000 miles.
The belt looked brand new.
but
the car had the original T/B idler pulley and the original water pump
The idler was positioned wrong. detent was missed.
two T/B cover gaskets were missing
valve cover gaskets were not changed
two bolts were missing
one bolt was lose.
last T/B change was done at a Acura Dealership. shotty job at the least.

Sometimes it is more than just the belt that needs service. I have piece of mind now it has been done properly.

this is an excellent point-changing the timing belt is also an opportunity for some other helpful preventative maintenance

I don't want to comment in this thread other than this one little story I have.

purchased a mint 40,000 mile 1995 acura legend for my little brother his first car. it even smelled new not one flaw in the leather the carpet was mint, speakers sounded so fresh. had the car for 300 miles and the timing belt broke. sure it was mint, sure it was owned my a little old lady that never drove it. basically needed a new engine.

so waiting that long for your TB is just stupid, being that when the NSX is driven its driven very hard. not like my brother legend he didn't floor it, it only has 200hp but it broke under normal load. his new engine was only 2200 our NSX engine 9K+ in parts to rebuild it and 3-4K in labor.

so keep playing with "but the car is mint it only has 20,000 miles", its in a climate controlled garage". I only drive it when my wife on the rag. etc.
goodluck.

Shawn, you do have a valid point and my thread was not mislead people into delaying service, but it really depends on the cars usage. I feel a car that sets many years is more subject to breakage than one that is driven regularly. There was an NSX in the shop next to mine for the same service that had a 10 YO belt with 400 miles on it. Of course I had the complete TB/WP service done along with OEM 02 sensors/Damper replacement/Ti Daves damper shield/speed sensor/thermostat, so I'm good for a while anyway.

I've got one for you guys. I replaced the timing belt on my 91 with 90K miles that I bought a month ago. This was the first item of business before driving it.

IT WAS THE FACTORY BELT FROM 1991. 24 Years old, 90K miles, and actually didnt look terrible. Minor discoloration, but you could still see a little bit of the factory honda labeling on it.

I've got one for you guys. I replaced the timing belt on my 91 with 90K miles that I bought a month ago. This was the first item of business before driving it.

IT WAS THE FACTORY BELT FROM 1991. 24 Years old, 90K miles, and actually didnt look terrible. Minor discoloration, but you could still see a little bit of the factory honda labeling on it.

Congrats!

Did you do a twist test or anything on it?

Hopefully you saved it as a memento.

Looking visually at a timing belt is a waste of time. That does not indicate in any way how long it will last.

Last edited:
just had mine done... 95 car... 44,000 miles, last belt was 2007 at 26,000 miles

mine went 7 years/18,000 miles... not many years or miles... but it sure feels good with a new one... and make a great story when you sell it... took pics and kept old belt

I will be at 6 years and a shade over 30,000 easy miles by November of this year. I will go for another year or so before doing TB/WP again. The two NSX techs I use (both highly reputable and each with 20+ years experience who both know my car well) told me very little risk and that I'd be best to spend my money this year on replacing all of the cooling system hoses which are still the originals (car only has 49,000 miles).

My car is a /94 -- didn't Acura extend the TB/WP change interval in later year NSXs?

Best,
Jeff

This is great advise.

1997 update is 7 years/105K miles for TB/WP.

I will be at 6 years and a shade over 30,000 easy miles by November of this year. I will go for another year or so before doing TB/WP again. The two NSX techs I use (both highly reputable and each with 20+ years experience who both know my car well) told me very little risk and that I'd be best to spend my money this year on replacing all of the cooling system hoses which are still the originals (car only has 49,000 miles).

My car is a /94 -- didn't Acura extend the TB/WP change interval in later year NSXs?

Best,
Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

No real spec from the factory on this. What you need to do is inspect them for swelling, oil contamination, dryness, etc. Yours have been on the car 9 years, I would suspect you will get a few more, just remember BUY them while you can;)......

So what is the replacement interval on all hoses? My were done around 06.

Last edited:
This is great advise.

1997 update is 7 years/105K miles for TB/WP.

- - - Updated - - -

No real spec from the factory on this. What you need to do is inspect them for swelling, oil contamination, dryness, etc. Yours have been on the car 9 years, I would suspect you will get a few more, just remember BUY them while you can;)......

Do you think Acura is planning to discontinue the cooling hoses? That would be kind of a cold shot to owners of Gen1 cars. I was actually hoping, that with the coming of the Gen2 car, they would actually make more ( not less parts ) available for the Gen1 cars.

Do you think Acura is planning to discontinue the cooling hoses? That would be kind of a cold shot to owners of Gen1 cars. I was actually hoping, that with the coming of the Gen2 car, they would actually make more ( not less parts ) available for the Gen1 cars.

Typical spec for this is 15 years after production end. Try to buy any 1991 interior parts lately?, or even rear brake calipers, N/G, discontinued. On the other side of the coin, if parts flow through inventory on a regular basis they do keep them in production longer. Right now I can get hoses from Honda for any year NSX, but we are coming up soon for the end of life for most Gen 1 stuff over the next 5 years, so my point is don't wake up one day and go "oh, crap" never ordered those parts;).....

HTH,
LarryB

Last edited:
25 years and 37k miles, just had its first belt changed..... and the old belt still looks new when compared to the new one

Just FYI - there are some labor and coolant savings in doing the cooling system hoses at the same time as the timing belt and water pump. The savings are not huge - not the way doing the timing belt involves all the same labor as doing the water pump, which is why they're done together - but they're there, since both tasks involve flushing coolant and replacing hose connections to the water pump.

Larry is there a difference in early model hoses and say hoses for the 02/05?

3 or 4 of them are different. This mostly is in the area of the idle system (DBW vs. cable throttle cable) the small water hoses by the throttle body.

HTH,
LarryB

Just FYI - there are some labor and coolant savings in doing the cooling system hoses at the same time as the timing belt and water pump. The savings are not huge - not the way doing the timing belt involves all the same labor as doing the water pump, which is why they're done together - but they're there, since both tasks involve flushing coolant and replacing hose connections to the water pump.

Ken, as usual correct and sound advice. Rob Magro told me same thing but felt that best do now given age of the car. Better safe than sorry for sure. Having said this, and acknowledging that my car has fairly low miles for its age, the condition of the hoses is nothing short of amazing (and I recognize that you can't always tell by looking). Honda does apparently make very good coolant hoses. When I have Rob change out the hoses I also have a new coolant recovery tank that's going in -- not that mine looks yellowed/worn in any way but for just a bit over $100 it is cheap insurance. Thermostat was replaced couple of years ago preventatively.

Looking visually at a timing belt is a waste of time. That does not indicate in any way how long it will last.

And yet the service manual includes a timing belt inspection procedure. I guess that's a nice money-maker between scheduled replacements. And I suppose the belt could get contaminated with oil or develop some other issue between changes.

And yet the service manual includes a timing belt inspection procedure. I guess that's a nice money-maker between scheduled replacements. And I suppose the belt could get contaminated with oil or develop some other issue between changes.

Not the first thing a little "off" in the service manual;). I learned this many years ago from Mark Basch. You need to twist the belt and listen for the cracking of the glass reinforcement inside the belt. Another thing WAY off in the original 1991 service manual is the torque spec for the rear lower control arm mounting bolts. It states 69 ft.lbs., well it is actually 90 ft. lbs!!!!!!!!!!! Not a good idea to set them at 69;)..........

Regards,
LarryB

...Another thing WAY off in the original 1991 service manual is the torque spec for the rear lower control arm mounting bolts. It states 69 ft.lbs., well it is actually 90 ft. lbs!!!!!!!!!!! Not a good idea to set them at 69;)..........

:eek:

Last edited:
Back