7,000 Dollar Question

Hello all

After buying a low milage (bone stock- except for IPOD integration and shark antenna) 97 NSX-T six speed I have about 7K in the budget for upgrades, outside of the usual "driving school" comments what should I do?

I would like a little more power, but would also think the 16/17 inch wheel combo does not fill in the wheel arches- dash/steering wheel is also a little dated.

That said the car is amazing but a few upgrades never hurt.

thanks-

the nut behind the wheel is the best upgrade you can do and besides you can use that upgrade on every single car you buy the rest of your life.

the nut behind the wheel is the best upgrade you can do and besides you can use that upgrade on every single car you buy the rest of your life.

WERD. :biggrin:

Not to lecture, but my recommendation has always been to live with the car and see how it suits your driving style and your particular needs. Some may want to spend $7K on a new stereo, someone else may want a blower, others may want to spend their money on a widebody kit or suspension upgrades.

Live with the car for awhile and then ask yourself the same question after some adequate seat time.

Upgrade the exhaust. The stock one is too quiet. I would avoid ones that drone. Do a search.

I wouldn't bother with headers on a 97+.

Aftermarket wheels really make the NSX stand-out. A nice 17/18 combo looks great on the NSX IMO. Just look in the picture galleries for ideas.

Make sure the timing belt and water pump have been replaced and all other services are up to date. (that could greatly eat into your $7,000 :( )

Congrats on the new car!

Last edited:
I would like a little more power, but would also think the 16/17 inch wheel combo does not fill in the wheel arches- dash/steering wheel is also a little dated.

Wings West Body Kit, stick with factory wheels with spacers and slightly larger tires than stock, this will fill out the wheel wells best. Add two 4300 HID headlight kits from WhiteNSXs - don't bother even looking at any other HID kits. Don't touch the steering wheel or dash. If the stereo system isn't broken don't try to fix it - just be happy with the oem bose sytem. The iPod adapter is a nice addition.

Take a look at posts number 6 and 12 in this thread.

Substantially more power will exceed your allotted budget.

Last edited:
If the stereo system isn't broken don't try to fix it - just be happy with the oem bose sytem.

You're joking right? It's Bose, it was born broken! How anyone with even the minimal appreciation for music could be happy with that crap sound system defies rational thought.

-New shocks. You need them and it will lower it 1''
-New TimingBelt. Most likely need it.
-NSX Type-R front sway and front chasis bars.
-2002+ 17/17 wheels(my pref)
-Tint

You most likely don't need more power. Just realize you downshift until you're in vtec range.

I have friends who can drive circles around me with a car that is 1/2 as good as mine.

They are all Nascar fans and the only circles they drive in are left handed. :tongue:

They are all Nascar fans and the only circles they drive in are left handed. :tongue:
Ya know I've been studiying on why Nascar redneck fans support the lefthand turn therory. I went out the other day and with a beer in my left hand, steering wheel in my right, everytime I leaned over to take a swig of beer I slowly pulled the wheel to the left thus causing the "Nascar" turn.:wink:

Ya know I've been studiying on why Nascar redneck fans support the lefthand turn therory. I went out the other day and with a beer in my left hand, steering wheel in my right, everytime I leaned over to take a swig of beer I slowly pulled the wheel to the left thus causing the "Nascar" turn.:wink:

And I bet you didn't spill an ounce of your PBR did you? :smile:

If you don't track your car, no suspension upgrade is needed. You don't really need wheels unless you need the 18/19 bling. Stereo is over rated when you have beautiful engine notes.

Therefore, save up few more thousands and you can get a Comptech Supercharger. That will be the most fun you will have if you don't care for any of the stuff listed above. After all, it's easy to spend the $7k on bunch of small stuff, but after get the small stuff, it will be very difficult to get THAT ONE thing that you may want the most - ADDITIONAL SPEED.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input!

I think I will drive it a while and make a decision-

forced induction looking good

how about the trim rings on the gauges?

anyone try them?

You could always buy my turbo kit , and have enough left for a week in mexico!

There was this...

You're joking right? It's Bose, it was born broken! How anyone with even the minimal appreciation for music could be happy with that crap sound system defies rational thought.

But before that came this...

Buy the S&P 500.

I would ask you the same question. Clearly you have no understanding whatsoever of the stock market.

Bose haters just hate Bose because it is supposed to be cool to hate Bose. It's a fanboy thing.

Last edited:
I would get a nice sounding exhaust and a set of 17"/18" wheels and save the rest. Those mods are easly to reverse and if you buy used, you can recoup the money pretty easily.

Back