$5,074 for a clutch, timing belt, and waterpump replace?

Just wanted to chime in and get some opinions on the estimate that I received from Eiffel (in Atlanta)

I am about to purchase an NSX (finally!) and want to have some peace of mind that the waterpump and timing belt are replaced. In addition, the clutch is on its way out and that will need to be replaced as well.

After doing some forum searching, I found that Eiffel Chin comes highly recommended in the Atlanta area, so I emailed him and he sent me back the following:

"The clutch kit and throw out bearing lists for $1850 +tax. The timing belt service will be $1749 +tax. Includes timing belt, water pump, drive belts, coolant, valve cover gaskets. The total package will be $4699 +tax. Thanks, Eiffel"

Believe me, this is not a "I'm getting ripped off" thread- if this is what it costs, then so be it- I just wanted to get some opinions from more experienced owners.

Lastly, I have read some reviews on the Scienceofspeed clutch as an alternative to the oem- should I opt for this instead of the oem clutch? I would like to go forced induction at some point in the distance future (probably in a few years, the nsx will be my garage queen)

Thanks in advance for any insight and comments!

Re: $5,074 for a clutch, timing belt, and waterpump replace?>

this it's not expensive, here in Belgium (Europe), Honda asks me $ 7469,27 to make the same thing , price is very good in the USA!

Last edited:

The bitch is, both those jobs are 2 totally different situations and there isn't any labor savings in hours since both involve a lot of work in 2 different places...
Is the timing belt service motor in or motor out ?
Because if it's motor out, then the clutch would be nothing to do while the motor is out. Maybe another hour at most.

Although not bad I guess, they aren't doing you any favors either.

Last edited:

Sounds like its in the ballpark. It's probably best to have the motor dropped to do both services and save some time and labor.

How does ($1850 +tax) + ($1749 +tax) = $4699??

Probably because $1850 is for the clutch kit...not including labor. :smile:

Last edited:

Thanks for all the responses guys, sounds like Eiffel is the man!

Are there any other service items that I should go ahead and knock out now for the sake of peace of mind? I am waiting on a service history from the dealer right now, but assume, just for the sake of discussion that nothing can be found (I wouldn't buy it if thats the case)- what else should be serviced while the clutch/wp/tb are being replaced? btw, the car in question has 150K miles, which would send me running on any other car. Everything that I have read and heard indicates that 150K miles, with proper service, is not a real issue in terms of reliability.

Last edited:

Make sure they change you your timing belt tensioner, you didn't mention it in the list, but I am assuming it's part of the timing belt package with them.

Are there any other service items that I should go ahead and knock out now for the sake of peace of mind? I am waiting on a service history from the dealer right now, but assume, just for the sake of discussion that nothing can be found (I wouldn't buy it if thats the case)- what else should be serviced while the clutch/wp/tb are being replaced?

What year and how many miles? How do you know the clutch is on its way out? Does it slip?

Valve adjustment and cam plugs if they are leaking for starters. Spark plugs while you are in there also. I would do a brake and transmission fluid flush also.

Hoses.

+1 on hoses as it sounds it is best to drop the motor for this job. Do cam seals, spark plugs and valve adjustment while it is out. Be sure they clean the engine bay/firewall while it's out too. Since valve covers are off, you may want to have them powdercoated if that's in your future. I did the Type R wrinkle finish red from Garrick in Toronto...love 'em. Here's a link to his service

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131266

Since draining the coolant, consider a new coolant tank as the oem ones often crack over time.

Jeff

Last edited:

Which is the advantage of doing it by motor out, it allows you to check everything you really can't get to with the motor in and makes things a lot easier to get done.

Not to mention, you are doing 2 major services at once, TB and Clutch which is why I would do motor out in this situation.

parts from dali complete clutch, complete 90k (60k inlcuded) service should run aournd 2200-2500, this includes seals (even front and rear main seal).

labor is around 1000.00

I got all this done from my local 22 year ASE acura/toyo/lex/honda mechanic.

this is 2000 less than your quote.

his price is outrageous.

keep shopping.

NSX does not equal greater labor prices

The best thing was I was right next to him the whole time and I got to clean the entire under carriage.

So Charlee, let me get this straight cause it's difficult to tell from your post. Are you saying that you got a new clutch, timing belt, water pump and a 60k service, including all parts and labor for 3500 bucks?

That's a pretty good deal I'd say. I'm not sure I understand the labor and parts scenario from the price quote from Eiffel in Chad's post. The break down doesn't seem clear.

Anyway, in Atlanta things may be a little more expensive than up in Washington State - I don't know. It's hard to compare apples and oranges and I'm not sure that's not what's happening here with Chad's and Charlee's posts.

On another note - if you have no records and don't know what's been done -that is a deterant to me in any purchase. It's too bad you have to assume that all this needs to be done. A clutch alone is probably 2500. So when you add the timing belt and water pump make sure you put the hoses in that too. Cam plugs, cam cover seals, rear and main seals aren't a bad idea at all! So at this mileage you have here I'm assuming that you are getting a good deal with all this deffered maintenance staring you in the face? Is that correct? Valve adjustment - all the things others have listed are good things to do.

I will be walking on this deal if the service records leave too much to speculation- I just wanted to hear some insight from you guys on a "worst case scenario"

So Charlee, let me get this straight cause it's difficult to tell from your post. Are you saying that you got a new clutch, timing belt, water pump and a 60k service, including all parts and labor for 3500 bucks?

That's a pretty good deal I'd say. I'm not sure I understand the labor and parts scenario from the price quote from Eiffel in Chad's post. The break down doesn't seem clear.

Anyway, in Atlanta things may be a little more expensive than up in Washington State - I don't know. It's hard to compare apples and oranges and I'm not sure that's not what's happening here with Chad's and Charlee's posts.

On another note - if you have no records and don't know what's been done -that is a deterant to me in any purchase. It's too bad you have to assume that all this needs to be done. A clutch alone is probably 2500. So when you add the timing belt and water pump make sure you put the hoses in that too. Cam plugs, cam cover seals, rear and main seals aren't a bad idea at all! So at this mileage you have here I'm assuming that you are getting a good deal with all this deffered maintenance staring you in the face? Is that correct? Valve adjustment - all the things others have listed are good things to do.

Are there any other service items that I should go ahead and knock out now for the sake of peace of mind? I am waiting on a service history from the dealer right now, but assume, just for the sake of discussion that nothing can be found (I wouldn't buy it if thats the case)- what else should be serviced while the clutch/wp/tb are being replaced? btw, the car in question has 150K miles, which would send me running on any other car. Everything that I have read and heard indicates that 150K miles, with proper service, is not a real issue in terms of reliability.

Are you getting a great deal on this car, sounds like it may of been neglegted if you have to put in $5K as soon as you get it. If it's average price compared to the market then perhaps there's another NSX that can be had without all these upfront costs for a similar price. Of course maybe you are getting it for a steal so that even with the upfront maintenance costs you are coming out ahead. Something to think about.

Sounds like Tim and I think alike on this one!

Just wanted to chime in and get some opinions on the estimate that I received from Eiffel (in Atlanta)

I am about to purchase an NSX (finally!) and want to have some peace of mind that the waterpump and timing belt are replaced. In addition, the clutch is on its way out and that will need to be replaced as well.

After doing some forum searching, I found that Eiffel Chin comes highly recommended in the Atlanta area, so I emailed him and he sent me back the following:

"The clutch kit and throw out bearing lists for $1850 +tax. The timing belt service will be $1749 +tax. Includes timing belt, water pump, drive belts, coolant, valve cover gaskets. The total package will be $4699 +tax. Thanks, Eiffel"

Believe me, this is not a "I'm getting ripped off" thread- if this is what it costs, then so be it- I just wanted to get some opinions from more experienced owners.

Lastly, I have read some reviews on the Scienceofspeed clutch as an alternative to the oem- should I opt for this instead of the oem clutch? I would like to go forced induction at some point in the distance future (probably in a few years, the nsx will be my garage queen)

Thanks in advance for any insight and comments!

First off are you going to do this based off the PPI you got? or did you not get one? Secondly what year is this car? If you plan to go FI then do not get a stock clutch....if you do you can send it to ACT and they can rebuild it for you to be stronger....otherwise get something like the SOS clutch or RPS clutch or whatever is better than stock.
Look here to get an idea on parts

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=986

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=846

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1500

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/search/index.cfm?search=yes&criteria=clutch

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=2283

autowave has a better harmonic balancer out but costs more

Good luck on the labor part....I would get a couple of different quotes to compare.

Last edited:
Replace the harmonic balancer. Best $200 you'll spend if yours comes apart and rips into your block. More than once this has happened on these engines, especially with higher mileage. Just give us a clue as to how much you're spending on this car and what year is it?

Thanks again everyone for all of the responses. After quite a bit of research, I am unable to obtain a detailed record of the service history of the car in question. Due to the fact that the inability to obtain records may be the result of my poor due-diligence ability (I spent several hours calling at least 2 dozen acura dealers across the country), I am going to protect the identity of the seller and the listing- perhaps someone else might have better luck...

That all being said, the hunt continues for the car that I had a poster of on my wall as a kid (in 1991). Specifically, I would like to find an excellent example with a FULL service history.

Also, Eiffel called me today and was kind enough to freely share his expertise- I cannot thank him enough and when I do finally find my NSX, he will be my mechanic, without a doubt.

The search continues... (sigh)

Thanks again everyone for all of the responses. After quite a bit of research, I am unable to obtain a detailed record of the service history of the car in question. Due to the fact that the inability to obtain records may be the result of my poor due-diligence ability (I spent several hours calling at least 2 dozen acura dealers across the country), I am going to protect the identity of the seller and the listing- perhaps someone else might have better luck...

That all being said, the hunt continues for the car that I had a poster of on my wall as a kid (in 1991). Specifically, I would like to find an excellent example with a FULL service history.

Also, Eiffel called me today and was kind enough to freely share his expertise- I cannot thank him enough and when I do finally find my NSX, he will be my mechanic, without a doubt.

The search continues... (sigh)

Couple of ways to approach this. If you want to keep the car for an extended period of time and have the maintenance done, you'll probably not have to put any money in the car for an extended period of time. Plus the resale value of the car will increase. Will the value increase to the point of your expenditure, probably not, but you'll have a car that is basically maintenance free and you'll know there won't be a problem with the car.

If you don't want to keep the car for too long, I think you're correct to blow it off and find another vehicle that fits your specifications.

Really, purchasing a car is buying a depreciating asset no matter how you look at it.

Good luck in what ever you decide.

Last edited:

parts from dali complete clutch, complete 90k (60k inlcuded) service should run aournd 2200-2500, this includes seals (even front and rear main seal).

labor is around 1000.00

I got all this done from my local 22 year ASE acura/toyo/lex/honda mechanic.

this is 2000 less than your quote.

his price is outrageous.

keep shopping.

NSX does not equal greater labor prices

The best thing was I was right next to him the whole time and I got to clean the entire under carriage.

I do not know how you can get a clutch and a complete 90k service done for $1000 labor.

To install a clutch is almost 8 hrs. Most places want 800-1000 for that alone.

If you are getting those prices, stick with him.

Eiffel is not only a NSX mechanic but also a long time NSX owner and member.

I 2nd that Alex!!!:cool:

oh and any mechanic that allows his "customer to clean the under carriage" while at a place of business...... come on man

Last edited:
I have the same Price qoute from Palm Beach Acura, OEM Clutch, Timing belt, water pumps etc etc, plus Labor over all price is $5,500.

(Not that I need to change mine soon but for future reference)

they look at my car and its heavily modified and said "Your car is too low".

but I have 2 shops to pick if ever I need to change, Nabil in orlando or Dwight in ForeignTech.

Last edited:
Back