3kGT vs. NSX??

Howdy.

I have a deal with my wife that I can get a sports car when I pay off a specified portion of my graduate school loans -- I'm about 16 months away...

I've been planning to get an early NSX, but I have been finding myself thinking about the 3kGT VR4...

Pros/cons of each are as follows (add your thoughts please):

NSX:
Pros:
styling, reliability, rarity, "supercar"/"exotic" ego trip ;), handling

Cons:
28k+ entrance fee

3KGT VR4:
Pros: 300HP/320HP; AWD, fast as hell, modest entrance fee leaves $$ for repairs/mods...

Cons:
reliability (from what I've heard) repair costs, lots of folks say its too heavy....

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Do a search for comparison between the two cars. It has been discussed to hell and back before.

hmmm... must be choosing my search terms poorly, but I'm not coming up with much at all.

I searched Mitsubishi, 3kgt, 3000 gt, 3000gt, and vr4...

Help?

Search is on the fritz right now.

The biggest difference is weight. The Mitsu is a hog compared to the NSX. This will greatly affect handling. The 4WS of the Mitsu helps, but nothing can overcome 500+ lbs of weight differential.

That being said, it is much easier to get a lot of horsepower out of the Mitsu for not too many dollars.

Mitsu=straight line car
NSX=all around driving car

HTH

Stock to stock, and not modified, the NSX will beat the 300GT for sure.

The 3000GT VR4 is an extremely heavy car. It has many problems like the transfer case, getrag tranny, etc.

NSX all the way. Only choose the VR4 if you need AWD. Out of all the Japanese sports cars of the 90s, the VR4 has always been ranked the lowest compared to the Supra, 300ZX, and RX7.

By the way, here is my '95 VR4:

6182218-41ce-028001E0-.jpg

6195812-3def-02000180-.jpg

Here are the mods:

Modifications:
Engine:
1) Balanced and blueprinted Twin-intercooled, Twin Turbocharged 3.0-liter DOHC 24-Valve V6
2) GTPRO/Ross Forged Aluminum Pistons
3) ECU Re-programming

Turbo:
1) Extrude Honed Mitsubishi TD04L-13G 6 cm^2 Turbochargers (2)

Blow off valve:
1) Greddy Type S Blow Off Valve

Boost Controllers
1) HKS EVC III atm (Electronic Valve Controller)
2) HKS EVC Installation Kit

Intake:
1) K&N Aircharger

Exhaust:
1) Bozz Speed Dual Cannon Exhaust System

Fuel:
1) HKS In-tank Fuel Pump

Transmission:
1) Greddy Oil Cooler

Suspension:
1) Tein Type HA Coilover Suspension with Pillow Ball Mounts
2) 22mm Rear Anit-sway Bars (Addco)
3) Rear Cusco Strut Tower Brace

Turbo Timer:
1) HKS Turbo Timer IV
2) HKS Turbo Timer Harness

Meters
1) HKS 60mm Boost Peak / Warning
2) HKS 60mm EGT Peak / Warning (2)
3) HKS 60mm Fuel Pressure Peak / Warning

The NSX, even in its stock form, is better IMHO. The 3000GT just doesn't give me the confidence to drive fast. Even when it was stock, I felt that the car would lose control if I were to drive it really fast. The NSX is totally different, it gives me a sense of confidence I never had with the 3000GT.

1st hand experience. The VR4 was my 1st sports car, and I bought it based on looks alone. I bought the VR4 new, and honestly if I had to go back, I would have bought another car instead. Perhaps a Supra Turbo.

What is it about the 3000GT that has it being your other choice besides the NSX? Like RyRy210 said, it was pretty much universally ranked the lowest of the early-mid 90's Japanese supercars. That said, there are other cars in that class that may fit your price and performance desires. For example, check pricing on a 90-95 Nissan 300ZX TT; it's cheap/easy to make around 350 rwhp (430 bhp) with the typical I/H/E/boost pressure mods. Supras are nice too, but in tight supply.

I own a NSX and a stealth TT awd...

the 2 cars are night and day comparisons....

strong points for both but i will only name a few

i like my stealth cause it has 4 seats and decent trunk/hatch space...
i have owned my stealth for about 6 years now and have had never had any problems with it...i have performed regular maintenance and had my driving lights replaced many times...
so all in all i think in terms of reliability its been great...

i like my NSX because it's relitively fast and it power comes from a NA motor and vtec is great. The handling is one of the best if not the best of any car that i have driven..

on a side note when i purchased the NSX .. i didn't know that i was getting (probably one of the best features of the NSX) is the amount of helpful and supportive people in this forum..

i am on the 3g forum as well and those guys are great as well but the group of people in this forum is second to none and no amount of $s and cents can beat it..

i dont have the heart to sell either one cause i will miss the fine points of both cars....but if i had to chose the one to keep ...
the NSX would be the keeper...

msgott said:
What are your thoughts?

DRIVE THEM BOTH! Then, tell us YOUR thoughts. I'll lay down a bet that after 15 minutes in each, you'll have your answer. It's a faster way than comparing specs on paper. Oh, and have fun.

I have both as well. The NSX is in a whole different class. The build quality, handling, and the looks rock!!!

The VR4 is 1/3 the price, fun to drive, pretty realiable, cheap to hop up(mine runs 12.7@108mph), and has a back seat. Plus its good in all weather conditions and I have no problem parking it in the Walmart parking lot.:D

I wish my NSX had the power and torque curve that my stealth has from the factory. It would be a beast of a car. Thats why I plan on turbocharging my NSX.:D

PS My Stealth is currently for sale.....

Not to rain on your statement, but stock-to-stock, I will beat a 3000GT or Stealth every time (first hand experience.)

chriswtx said:
Mabey so. but for $600 in upgrades a 3000gt will run 12.7s in the qtr all day long. How many $$$ do you have to spend on an NSX to do that...:cool:

I've seen 12.8s from a stock 3.2l... Add an exhuast and you should be there ($700).

I am the kind of guy that enjoy 1/4 mile stuff or race from a roll. For $600 bucks or just a little bit more, I would go with a 50-75 shot of NOS, Nitrous Express, or Zex and I will be posting mid to low 12s easily. And i took off some weight (no cost to me) for good measure.

Have you seen a video on the RX7 board? It showed a race between a single turboed RX7 vs. a 100 shot NSX. The NSX did extremely well even if it did not beat the RX7, if I may say so. You have to see the video for yourself. That NSX guy is on here, his sn is 'Smoore.'

So if it is mod, then we will talk about how far we want to go. Some of the guys on here like 'AJKS' and '8uviper' have ran 11s mods and 12s stock all day long in their 2002 NSXes.

At the end, I will have a reliable, gorgeous car, that will give me a 12s run when I want to and still remain reliable (professionallly installed in the future for the nitrous.)

It is just as easy to put a 50 or 75 shot of NOS on a 3000gt and run 11s also. The difference is in the entry price of the cars and the cost of the mods. I love my NSX as much as the Stealth, they are at different ends of the spectrum when comparing the two. One is a 3700lb touring sports coupe that has a nice ride , back seat, and is fun to drive. The other has lightweight, exotic looks, stiff suspension, mid engine layout and is also fun to drive.

Really depends on your budget and if you are willing to shell out the $$$ to own a low production handbuilt car...:p

End the end be happy with what you have and hope to be able to buy another:D

Hi Mike,

I've had both and gotta say the NSX does feel a bit faster. I agree on driving both cars to make a better decision. That way, you can determine what suits your needs and preferences better. I know I offered before, and it never happened; But we need to meet up and go for a ride.

Hey there. Thanks for the input from all of you. I

Donwon, I'm up for a ride at your convenience! This DC Metro area whether is just awful.

-Michael

Not to dig up a somewhat old thread, but what are the mods that'll make a GT hit 12.7's that only costs $600? My brother is dying to know :)
I've got about 10 hours or so drive time in my brothers '93 VR4, and I do like it alot. The power is very good and AWD launches are hard to beat! More techno gadgets on it that I've ever seen : Active Aerodynamics, variable exhaust, active suspension... It is a heavy car "on paper". Weight station put it around 3800 lbs give or take, but you'd never guess when driving it. Confidence inspiring in high speed cornering, very stable in a straight line, and VERY impressive brakes. It hides it weight very well too. Look at some of the stats for accell, brake, skid pad. It's right there with the 3.0 NSX. And for the price (under 10 grand, in great shape) it's excellent bang for the buck. Its appearance works for me too.
It'd be worth a look depending on what your after. When the snow hits, its no contest which I'd rather be driving, but any other time I prefer my NSX :)

My car weighs 3780 with me in it(i'm 150lbs), my mods are:K&N($38), MSD wires($68),Stillen down pipe($295),3" single exaust($110),gutted and ported pre-cats, Manual Boost Controller(made my self for $12), fuel pump hotwire($15 in wire),Turbo XS RFL Bov($165), Adj. fuel press. reg.($59B&M), front and rear strut bars...Best qtr. mile 12.8#108mph(with a slipping stock clutch)
and a 60ft of 2.02(crappy because of slipping clutch)
I run 15lbs of boost and 65 lbs of fuel pressure(base line)

Sorry, I spent $762 with the new sparkplug wires...

I did all the work myself.;)

Attachments

• stealth9.jpg
    stealth9.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 604
I have extensively driven multiple 3000GT VR4's and own (2) NSX's, and from comparing the two it is night and day.

The VR4 is VERY fast in a straight line, but feels so heavy (because it is!!) in corners that I would never drive it fast on curvy roads or on the track. It is comfortable for touring, and a great winter car, just not my thing for a performance car.

The NSX is quick on straight line acceleration and in cornering, plus just feels more like a pure sports car. It does not feel as fast as the VR4 (no turbo rush in the NSX), but is much more confidence inspiring when driven rapidly on curvy roads. Plus, the NSX is still cozy for long trips (I do that all the time with mine).

I personally respect the VR4 for what it is, I just would not buy one currently because I prefer a more pure sports car. Like others have said, the RX7, Supra, and NSX always beat the VR4 in comparison tests as well.

My friend is looking at a 96 VR4 here with 28,000 miles on it.

We drove it saturday and it was FAST. Lots of tq. Damn I need a turbo on my NSX!

Anyway, the clutch was HEAVY. YUK.

Is there anything else he should look for? Should the timing belt be changed yet?

They want 17,5 for it.

chriswtx, thanks!

Looks like he'll go over the $600 by a bit on account of the parts he's bought so far. Swapping the airbox for a K&N cone, some blow-off valve a forget the name of, and an AVC-R electronic boost controller. We were close to even in a straight line stock for stock...

Now, I fear he's going to kick my butt :)

My friend just purchased a 1994 Mitsubishi 300gt Twin Turbo.

He kept bragging about how fast it was and amount of torgue the turbos gave to it's performance.

I took up the challenge and went on country road to race.

First let me give you brief description of my NSX. 1992 NSX comptech header and comptech exhaust --pure and simple.

His car was stock.

I raced him and beat him by 2 car lengths. He said that his turbo didn't kick in correctly .. lol.

So we raced again.... and again I beat him.

He wanted to try again. ... and ... again... LOL.

We had a total of 7 races.. going from 0-100mph.

Each and every time I beat him.....

Just my results..... your may vary. :D

Back