2010 Juguar XF Supercharged or XF-R

Guys, I am getting the itch for a new car as I usually do after two years of ownership. :) I really like the look and features of the XF since they first came out and now that the HP has been bumped up in 2010, it is looking all the better.

Earlier this week, I test drove all the engines in the 2010 and was very impressed:

XF base - 300HP 4.2L V8
XF premium - 385HP 5.0L V8
XF Supercharged - 470HP 5.0L supercharged V8
XF-R 510HP 5.0L supercharged V8

Both the supercharged and the XF-R pulled like a mother...just awesome! The 385HP was no slouch either.

My question and worry is that I have heard so many nightmares about the reliability of Jaguar. However, the new XF series are supposed to be a whole new animal here, but have still heard a few stories of electrical issues with the 2009 models.

I had a Land Rover LR3 in the past that others suggested would have many issues and that car was bullet proof, never a single issue. I was wondering what you all know of the 2010 XF's and their potential issues, especially in the 470HP or 510HP engines.

My second worry is about rapidly declining resale value, but think if I buy it right, I can limit that as much as possible. Any feedback would be appreciated.

FYI, reason for selling other than the itch of something new: :)

- My Mercedes CLS500 only has 4 seats and now that we had twins 6 months ago, I would never be able to fit my three kids in the car at some point. I love this car and have never had a problem
- at 307HP, the CLS moves but wanted something even faster this time.

Oh also as a FYI, I am buying a used 2010 because I am not taking the new car hit. Used, even in 2010 drop 25% or so.

Last edited:
I've driven each model but the XF-R model. I think they are a great new direction for Jaguar. The unique details like the shifter "wheel" and closing AC vents are nice touches. They really do drive very well.

I don't think there is anyone who can determine their reliability. They aren't cheap cars and they will most likely depreciate fairly quickly. If Jaguar manages to turn their reliability history around on a single model, I'd be impressed :)

I dont have the experience with a SC or R version but my uncle has a base model and I have driven it myself...

However the car is plagued with transmission problems...

The shifter selector wheel is a cool touch however the problems stem from there in my experience...

There has been countless times where the shifter wheel gets stuck on P or D or R and the car completely dies out...

If you do a quick search on XF Transmission problems you will see that there are recalls and many people experiencing the same problem...

I would say read up and decide for yourself but I would not buy an XF personally...

Hope this helps...

Jeff

Have you considered the new XJ? Plenty big, absolutely gorgeous interior and used models are starting to pop up with regularity.

The XJ is absolutely gorgeous but I am not dropping that kind of money. Very nice though. Regarding the transmission issue, I have read about the recalls but this was for the early models and has since been ironed out. I am looking at 2010 so I should be ok. Most of the tranny issues were for early production 2009 models.

Jaguar's just plummet in value.

What do you suggest Steveny? I need a 5 seat 4 door car that screams that looks good, etc. :) I was considering a 2009 CTS-V too. I know Jag's plummet in value which I why I need to buy right. If I can buy a 2010 Jag 68k car that is lightly used for 48k, then hopefully I won't get killed come time to sell. I could get the 2010 385HP engine premium for hopefully 40k which is a big chunk of it's sticker price.

I looked at the Audi S5 which I liked, but 4 seater and very, very small in the back. I looked at a 2008 Audi S6 that was perfect but this dealer had his car priced 13k over where it should. He argued at first and said you think I would price a car that much over value. I had him look in his book and he was shocked and said, we must have bought this one high for some reason. Also the S6's weren't as fast as I had heard. Had a M5 already and it was just ok and the newer version have been riddled with problems. I've owned 4 Mercedes now so was wanting something different. Not much else out there.

It will become this in short order. If your ok with that much depreciation then it's OK but if that doesn't sit well with you....

You probably don't want to hear this but what about a van? Or get an R63 the rarest AMG ever built, and they seem to be holding their value well too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?ssPageName=HPm2:JustSold

A van? Surely you've lost it Steveny. :) I wanted to bring sexy back not the groceries back. ha, ha. We do have my wife's QX56 for the kids so it isn't imperative to get something like a large SUV or VAN.

Regarding the 2004 X-Type you posted, I know Jag's depreciate more than others, but you just can't compare the X-Type which is the worst thing Jag has ever come out with. Even Jaguar dealerships themselves say it was absolute crap and similar to Cadillac's Cimmaron back in the day which was a rebadged Cavalier. I do however think it will go down very quickly which is why I was concerned and imperative that I buy very, very low.

I love the Porsche Cayenne but my neighbor just got one and that would be creepy to get the same thing. There is the fast version of the Cherokee but then again it is still just a jeep that will depreciate even faster than the Jag. So little choices. :)

A van? Surely you've lost it Steveny. :) I wanted to bring sexy back not the groceries back. ha, ha. We do have my wife's QX56 for the kids so it isn't imperative to get something like a large SUV or VAN.

Regarding the 2004 X-Type you posted, I know Jag's depreciate more than others, but you just can't compare the X-Type which is the worst thing Jag has ever come out with. Even Jaguar dealerships themselves say it was absolute crap and similar to Cadillac's Cimmaron back in the day which was a rebadged Cavalier. I do however think it will go down very quickly which is why I was concerned and imperative that I buy very, very low.

I love the Porsche Cayenne but my neighbor just got one and that would be creepy to get the same thing. There is the fast version of the Cherokee but then again it is still just a jeep that will depreciate even faster than the Jag. So little choices. :)

I am very similar to you in the way I want a new car every couple of years. There really is only two ways to go about it. Lose money or don't buy a different car. There is nothing in between except maybe the NSX, but the NSX doesn't fit all needs and like every other car you'll soon get bored with it.

If you buy the Jag you will lose a substantial sum of money. If that's OK with you I say go for it. If in your position I would just buy a 2 seat sports car and use the QX56 for family needs.

I have been rolling around in my head a new vehicle myself. There is nothing that fits what I want, 4 seats, Ferrari like handling, convertible top, not gonna drop like a rock in value.

Then I think well I will just wait to buy a Maserati convertible after they depreciate but then I look at a 3 year old Maserati and think...yuck. AND that is what I will think when the 2010 Maserati is 3 years old. There is no way to win the game it's rigged to lose money.

BTW, I had a Cayenne and it was a lot of fun. Before I bought Renee's X5 we drove the Cayenne Turbo-S... INSANE!

XF-R 510HP 5.0L supercharged V8

Both the supercharged and the XF-R pulled like a mother...just awesome! The 385HP was no slouch either.

My question and worry is that I have heard so many nightmares about the reliability of Jaguar. However, the new XF series are supposed to be a whole new animal here, but have still heard a few stories of electrical issues with the 2009 models......

Maybe I'm getting used to power, but I barely think my other car pulls like a mother when it makes more power to the wheels (and lighter) than what the Jaguar delivers to the fly.

I thought Jaguar fixed their electrical issues when Ford took over back in the past and shared it's tech and components with Jag.

Then again, who really gets a Euro car for reliability as opposed to "soul", technology and the overall driving experience?

Sounds like you have a tough decision to make.

I like Steve's idea. Use the infiniti for the hauler and get a sports coupe or sedan.

What do you think about a used M6?

Damn sexy and 500bhp to throw around.

Absolutely love the M6's, but they are too pricey. Anything with any kind of warranty left would be more than I would want to go. Regarding the Hyundai, the Genesis are very nice in that "I can't believe that is a Hyundai" kind of way. In the end, I would only get the feeling I get when I rent a car for business and it is a decent car but that's about it. Performance is not bad, but nowhere near what I have been looking at with other cars. I applaud Hyundai, but not for me.

we had twins 6 months ago, I would never be able to fit my three kids in the car ..........

at 307HP, the CLS moves but wanted something even faster this time.

Hey dad, you listening to yourself? You don't really mean that, do ya?:biggrin:

Skip the Jag. Their values drop like a bomb.

Look at the Cadillac CTS-V.

I'd also look at the Cadillac CTS-V as well. Mean mean mean...

WHY NOT LOOK AT THE JEEP SRT-8???

The new re-designed model is coming out with 500+hp. I certainly miss mine and would have another one in a heartbeat. Kills everything on the road and bugs too. With ample room for all of the kiddies to me its the no brainer decision.

Seriously go test drive one if you can find any on the lot or a used one. Its a mean mean beast that carries kids, groceries, and will give Z06's a run for their money!

Plus its alot cheaper than any Jag and won't depreciate as bad.:smile:

I borrowed a friends CTS and I could not find a comfortable driving position in the car. It also felt REALLY small to me.

C63 AMG.....and keep it in the Merc family? :biggrin:

I saw one today on the road. :eek:

Jlindy.
I recalled reading your thread back a few years ago with the M45. I've since moved on from my M45 as well. I jumped into a 2010 TL and got rid of it after only 4 months. I just picked this up last month and loving it (2011 E550). Like you, I was aiming for the same... power, luxury, low depreciation etc. But like Steve said, we just can't win. I am now just looking it as the cost of entertainment. Anyhow, the Jag looks good....but....

Attachments

• E550007.jpg
    E550007.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 51
Jlindy.
I recalled reading your thread back a few years ago with the M45. I've since moved on from my M45 as well. I jumped into a 2010 TL and got rid of it after only 4 months. I just picked this up last month and loving it (2011 E550). Like you, I was aiming for the same... power, luxury, low depreciation etc. But like Steve said, we just can't win. I am now just looking it as the cost of entertainment. Anyhow, the Jag looks good....but....

Looks GREAT HTN!!! Good reviews on the new body style E550's too. Maybe a used 2010 might be a good idea.

Also didn't think about the C63 either but it is a bit small. Ideally, I would like to stay out of getting yet a 5th Merc. I love them but thought I would branch out to something different, but hard to beat it I guess. :)

Not jazzed about a Jeep. While it screams, not really what I was imagining for my next car, plus their depreciation is just terrible as well.

For the Jag, what I am talking about trying to get is 35-40% off the sticker price for one that I am looking at. For a 2010 model, that is cutting out a lot of the new car depreciation so hopefully I would make out much better. I do like the new E550's though so that is a good suggestion.

Not jazzed about a Jeep. While it screams, not really what I was imagining for my next car, plus their depreciation is just terrible

Actually, you'd be surprised. The srt8 jeeps hold their value better than almost anything that has been posted. I bought mine lightly used 15 months ago and could sell it for more than I paid.

Hey Jeff Congrats on the twins. Can I recommend the MERCEDES-BENZ E63 amg wagon? Probably the rarest thing on the street and one of the fastest. Won't have to worry about hauling anything and they seem to be holding value well. I do like the jeep srt8 as well and are HARD to find cheap, but they are small. Jaguar or juguars as you spelled drop like hot fish grease. You won't be getting a deal on any 2010, because in 2011, it will still drop. Hard to best the srt8 or any Cadillac v series, bang for buck wise. Good luck.

sent from my HTC EVO.

Actually, you'd be surprised. The srt8 jeeps hold their value better than almost anything that has been posted. I bought mine lightly used 15 months ago and could sell it for more than I paid.

Yup! I paid a little over $48k for mine and sold it a year later with 15k miles for $41k.

Seriously, go drive one and the mindset will change.

Back