2009 IndyCar Thread

What ended up happening here? I didn't see any release by the suits that said he had any warning or not. I just couldn't imagine sitting there watching Power coming right at me. Ouch.

Re: Late flag? Power's story anyway

What ended up happening here? I didn't see any release by the suits that said he had any warning or not.
Miller interviewed Power on WindTunnel who said he never saw a yellow "out of the corner of my eye" implying he was wary of that corner, as he should be but that the corner worker was real slow in waving. You can only see the yellow waving just before Power comes over the crest, much to late to see the flag stand more than 90 deg to driver's right. There is a strategically placed light that the driver cannot miss going into T-3A, but it did not come on since that's just for a full course yellow.

I can vouch for the fact that corner workers are sometimes slow, sometimes even clueless as to what to wave and what to do when. If Power is right, the question really is, what happened to that corner worker? He better not be working corners anymore. Either way, I think the answer is, no doubt, very clear from the on-board video which we will never see. Showing it to us would damn someone and unavoidably be a black mark on the IRL which has to take responsibility for the whole show even if the track supplies the flaggers.

Back