2003 Wreck JH4NA21623T000018

How so? It's pretty basic shit to tightened a bolt and I seriously doubt an owner not torquing it to the exact specs would ruin an engine, especially on a drain plug.

I've heard of some people that forget to remove the old crush washer and add the new one on top of the old one, thereby causing leakage.

I would think that not using a torque wrench would lead to over-torqing (possibly leading to leakage through damage) but not under-torquing (more likely leading to leakage).

Either way, a careful eye on the oil levels should have caught the mistake.

Brylek......"black" overlay is CF that I installed. Shawn, I did VERY well with the insurance company. To the best of my knowledge, this car went for $27,500 at auction and is now for sale at only $10K more. I have absolutely no idea how they were able to buy, transport, and repair the car for only $10K and think that is probably a break even price for them. At under $40K the car is an excellent "steal" and I'm surprised that it's still available.....even with salvage title ( if it has one )

Brylek......"black" overlay is CF that I installed. Shawn, I did VERY well with the insurance company. To the best of my knowledge, this car went for $27,500 at auction and is now for sale at only $10K more. I have absolutely no idea how they were able to buy, transport, and repair the car for only $10K and think that is probably a break even price for them. At under $40K the car is an excellent "steal" and I'm surprised that it's still available.....even with salvage title ( if it has one )

With so many other desirable options available in the used car market, getting $40k for a used car is pretty challenging in the current (and probably foreseeable future) economy. I wouldn't consider it's current price to be a steal by any stretch.

Jut my 2 cents

if ANYONE is considering buying this car you need to look inside the engine compartment at the rear wall.....there was slight buckling there when the car was declared to be a total. if they have not fixed that buckled area i would say the frame is still bent so BUYER BEWARE!! ALSO----keep in mind that the car has 38K miles on it but the engine is over 60K (but still strong with fresh TB/WP)

Been checking this specific NSX out for a bit. Glad to see primers on here being honest and posting up information. Still haven't made up my mind if I want to spend the $40K on this one or not. Of course I dont want to fly to SLC but I might if I cant find anything decent by spring.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone

I'm thinking about this car given the price, but the fact that the engine has 60K and the odometer only has 38 is a bit concerning. I agree with AnarchyNSX that 40K seems a bit unrealistic but we'll see.

If there are any other items I should check out before making a decision, it would be helpful to know. Send an email if you want or post here.

I've been looking for a reasonable priced NSX after losing 4 deposits on new ones, so this poses an opportunity.

Good morning everyone

I'm thinking about this car given the price, but the fact that the engine has 60K and the odometer only has 38 is a bit concerning. I agree with AnarchyNSX that 40K seems a bit unrealistic but we'll see.

If there are any other items I should check out before making a decision, it would be helpful to know. Send an email if you want or post here.

I've been looking for a reasonable priced NSX after losing 4 deposits on new ones, so this poses an opportunity.

Pay someone who has been repairing after accident cars made from aluminum to look at this one from under it, if it checks out then find another person who knows NSXs very well from a mechanical point to perform a pre purchase inspection. If you get the green light from both of them then buy the car and never look back!

Good luck!

I have my 04 for sale but if you want to bring the car to sacramento ca i will look at it for you ive fixed a dozen f-cars and nsx's

Good morning everyone

Finally Saturday :smile:. I really appreciate Shawn's, Alan's and other's honesty and advice here. I fully agree that $ 40K in today's market for this car is a bit much, especially the lack of full disclosure (as required by law) by Prestman Auto in SLC.

I have someone reviewing the car for me and have supplied everyone's notes, private messages (names removed) so he has a complete set of information to review. If there is internal frame damage, them I'm inclined to pass as I'm not a mechanic that can pull the car into my garage and fix it. High end auto equipment, electrical equipment, etc. - Yes, but major mechanical - no. I find it interesting that the dealer can't determine if the CD changer is still in the vehicle or not. But I should know more today and will post for everyone's review.

Alan/Shawn: I will summarize everyone's notes as well so that we have a concrete thread of information.

Thanks

Stephen

Why not if it's fixed correctly what's the difference I mean would u buy a super clean nsx that's had frame damage and repaired correctly of a dented up not taken care of nsx?

Why not if it's fixed correctly what's the difference I mean would u buy a super clean nsx that's had frame damage and repaired correctly of a dented up not taken care of nsx?

to fix correctly, you would have to replace it. aluminum is different than steel. you cannot simply straighten it out. repairing aluminum is difficult and no insurance company would risk it. that is why this was totalled.

to fix correctly, you would have to replace it. aluminum is different than steel. you cannot simply straighten it out. repairing aluminum is difficult and no insurance company would risk it. that is why this was totalled.

One can straighten out the rails. One can do whatever one wants when they are working on their own car. Heck, they can put a mustache on it if they want.:biggrin:

What I believe you're trying to say is it's when the cost of a correct repair is too high that a vehicle is deemed a total.

Macninja on the other hand submits a valid point. Smaller repairs that are done poorly also makes a car less desirable even if it was not the outcome of a major repair event such as this car has suffered.

Tip toe, through the tulips.

Last edited:
I'm still looking at purchasing this car. I had a complete mechanical review done and all appears ok. Being that it is winter, driving or transporting the car is a bit difficult. The dealer/salesperson is a bit difficult to work with but I have managed that process pretty well. For me, it helps that I have worked for all three US Automakers as a consultant so I understand all the sales games that dealers can play. :smile:

The saga continues. I hope this car is still available when I go through the purchase process but we'll see.

For 39K, and from an investment perspective, it's ok. I can tailor the vehicle to my specifications with minimal costs on my end. But like I told the dealer, if the car is not available when I'm ready, it was not meant to be. If it is, then wonderful.

well print the photo's I supplied and take with you and show them

this is the before and after maybe can get them to come down on price.

if they got the car for 28K and fixed it they might not make any money off
a person that has this info.

they will wait for the next guy that is less informed and that doesnt know crap about cars

The fact that it's at CJ Prestman would keep me away. I've had several dealings with them on a personal and local Acura dealership level. I'd steer clear. Trust me, spend your money elsewhere.

There was another NSX purchased not too long ago from there that was mentioned on here many times over the years. A gentleman bought it that lives in the 4 corners area. I saw the car the day he bought it. It was black and had used red body parts on it. The red showed everywhere. They painted it horribly and of course had some bs story about how it came to have a salvage title. I knew it to be false as the car had come up in previous discusions on Prime when I worked in the insurance industry and had access to that stuff. I tried doing a search, but failed to find it. It was the car that was left uncovered and open for several months while it was waiting to be repaired. It had a bunch of water inside.

Last edited:
Back