2001 Dodger Viper or Supercharged 1996 NSX?

I bought a SRT-10 for summer fun this past June. The thing is a blast to drive and the torque is awesome. I have an appreciation for them now I didn't have before. The NSX is a better overall car, but is so hard to compare since they are such different beasts.

i like both =) viper is fassssstttttttttttttttttttt!

??????????
Question was posed 12/22/04.I hope he had a good Christmas, New Years, Easter, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Halloween and Thanksgiving etc..

Maybe HE should be telling us what car he bought and how he likes it.

It'll depends on what you want. Do you want a fast straight line accelerating car, or do you want a fast track car. Its like comparing a top fuel drag car vs. a formula one car. The biggest turn off i have with the viper is its poor handling and cheap interior. The interior has more plastic than a set of legos.

WealthBuildR said:
The biggest turn off i have with the viper is its poor handling and cheap interior. The interior has more plastic than a set of legos.

The Viper actually handles quite well at speed. It is a monster at the track. It is what Dodge made it to do.
The interior is my biggest turnoff as well.

NSX...

reason:
comfort, originality, rarity, and most of all reliability. never been in a viper, but it's a dodge... all the dodge's i've been in feel cheap inside. TIFWIW

Probably neither. Both are at opposite ends of the spectrum.
Nothing you do to a 6 will give you the stump pulling torque of a Big Block.
As the question is from someone who has owned both, the answer is probably
another car all together. Maybe a new ZO6?
(Not a BB, but might be the middle ground he is looking for?)
Or for the same $$$$ as an older Dodge or used NSX, a 2-3 yr old ZO6 might work out ?. A (3) liter six cant give you the "slam you back into the seat" feeling of an engine 2 or 3 times as large. Nor should it.
On the other hand, what else can give the high winding, go-cart sensation of a set up NSX?
As far as Vipers go, they are seen in my area much more than NSX's.
And to be honest, they always kinda look out of place. :tongue:
Quite the stand out, as they go putting around silently at posted speeds.
Buy a car designed to give you what you are after.
(1st you have to know what you are after?)
This really is a foolish question. :rolleyes:
Cant believe I even replied............. :redface:
If you dont know what you want, drive some more cars. :biggrin:
It will come to you.

Jasil said:
Bolen the viper is and was never about fit and finish or the highest quality materials. It was always about the most powerful muscle car made...notice I said muscle car.

Vipers when modded destroy just about everything in class on the track except C5-R's. A properly driven street Viper will annihilate almost any NSX on a road course or drag strip, but so will alot of cars. Go look at some ButtonWillow times on Viperclub.org and show me a NSX that comes close or look at 1/4 mile times. Many street driven Vipers are in the 9's and more than a couple with 210mph+ top speeds.

The NSX was always about rarity of a supercar without a supercar price.

With that being said there two totally different cars with different target market get both.

NA NSX's can run with fast street vipers at Road America
http://www.dougrippie.com/drm/alpha.htm

As a current owner of both the Nsx and the Viper, I'd feel i am qualified to make an honest opinion. Both cars are cool in their own rights. The NSX has daily driveability written all over it, with friendly handling and good looks to boot. I hear people write off the viper for poor handling which blows my mind. Stock to stock, the viper spanks the nsx.. and spanks it with a wooden plank. Now.. is the viper easy to drive or master? The answer is no.. If you are new to it, more likely you'll throw yourself into a curb because the car does not coddle the inexperienced. You don't find automatics or cruise control in the Viper as it is much more of a raw track car. Parked side by side the nsx draws the import crowd, while the viper draws the other 95%. I've had them side by side at car shows. What does surprise me about the Viper is that on a 4k road trip i averaged 24mpg and my ass didn't feel like it was going to fall off when i would get out of the car.
The nsx i love for it's refinement, how it is friendly enough that my girlfriend can enjoy driving it, for it's sportiness and for the creature comforts on a cold wet day and for the excellent gas mileage.
Personally, I'd tell your friend to save some money and buy a n/a nsx, and buy the viper. I'd also go with a '99 over the '01 as you still get forged internals.

:smile: Thank God! I am in the same boat as Smite. You hit the nail on the head. I purchased the NSX first and I was shocked at how slow it was. The build quality is awsome, the daily use is also great. What I love about the Viper is the respect I have to give it. The car is a monster if you are not careful. What the Viper does for me is this,,,,,,,classic muscle car power with A/C(even though it sucks) great looks and it stops. So bottom line to me is this,,,,,,,, both are two different animals. Keep both if you can :biggrin:

I just sold my Viper and bought an NSX. The Viper is not an every day car, and believe me I tried. It has the NSX beat hands down for heart pounding acceleration, but the NSX is so much fun around town. So nimble. 3 weeks and I still smile every time I drive off in it.

Your friend will love a Viper, but it will be parked more than to NSX.

Back