2001 Dodger Viper or Supercharged 1996 NSX?

I have a friend whom owns a 1996 red/ ivory 5 speed NSX that is completely stock with 20k miles. He has owned the NSX for one year having previously owned a Viper GTS. Although he is a member of prime he is reluctant to start a thread or post to threads so, I thought I would propose the question for him.

2001 Dodger Viper or Supercharged 1996 NSX

He purchased the NSX for it’s over all comfort, ergonomics, styling, reliability and durability not to mention he has a habit of frequently changing cars. He is now missing the torque and horsepower the Viper offers. He is considering a comptech supercharger, headers and exhaust. He would also upgrade the suspension and would prefer to keep the original rims. With his purchase price and the upgrades it would cost approximately $5000 to $8000 less to build the NSX than the buy a Viper.

Which direction would you go and why.

vintagecarman said:
I have a friend whom owns a 1996 red/ ivory 5 speed NSX that is completely stock with 20k miles. He has owned the NSX for one year having previously owned a Viper GTS. Although he is a member of prime he is reluctant to start a thread or post to threads so, I thought I would propose the question for him.

2001 Dodger Viper or Supercharged 1996 NSX

He purchased the NSX for it’s over all comfort, ergonomics, styling, reliability and durability not to mention he has a habit of frequently changing cars. He is now missing the torque and horsepower the Viper offers. He is considering a comptech supercharger, headers and exhaust. He would also upgrade the suspension and would prefer to keep the original rims. With his purchase price and the upgrades it would cost approximately $5000 to $8000 less to build the NSX than the buy a Viper.

I have always loved the looks of the Viper GTS, but going from one car to another, they are completely different animals. My neighbor has an 02 and although it feels WAAAY stronger than my car, I can beat him from a roll or from a stop on the nitrous(I have dual 50 shots). I also cant really get into the view from the Viper as the hood is a little too long for my taste. I have to enjoy my bragging rights over my neighbor while they last b/c he just bought a 200 shot and is waiting to have it installed :eek: With that I wont even bother trying to keep up. :biggrin:
All told, I think both cars are great, it just depends on what makes driving fun for your friend. If he keeps the NSX I would suggest getting the short gears and ring&pinion, although it is said that they do not change much for acceleration times, they certainly change the feel. I would also change the headers on that year car.

You can supercharge a NSX and and it may keep up with or beat a Viper with the right driver but it is never gonna feel like a Viper. The SC NSX will not sate the appetite for the in your face punch/torque of the Viper if that is what he is missing. I miss that American car feel too sometimes and am looking for a early 70's LT1 or big block Vette for that brutal hammer feel.
I do love the SC NSx and will probably do one myself eventually but it isn't a muscle car in feel or execution.

vintagecarman said:
...With his purchase price and the upgrades it would cost approximately $5000 to $8000 less to build the NSX than the buy a Viper.

I will give you a quote that the owner of a Viper RT/10 once told me when I swapped him cars for the day..my NSX for his Viper. The Viper owner said to me as I handed him my NSX keys, 'Man, you are going to be disappointed going from your car to that thing,' at which point he motioned towards his Viper. I was kind of shocked, then he explained to me that the Viper he bought almost new (only had 400 miles on it) and it has been a rattle trap from day one. He said the car drives like a bat out of hell in a straight line, but he would not drive it every day. After a full day behind the wheel of the Viper, I had to say that I agreed with him. The one thing worth mention though was that the Viper almost caused about 10 wrecks while parked in front of my house from people looking at the car and not the road. :biggrin:

NsXMas said:
He should get the Viper. Life is too short not to try out new things. He may come back to the NSX, but at least he won't regret not trying something new.

If you read the first line, his friend already owned a Viper. So he's already been there, done that. You should have your friend post on his regional forum and get someone with an SC NSX take him for a spin. Then he can judge for himself which way he wants to go. I know at least two Viper GTS owners have told me they want an NSX because they always get spanked in the twisties by them at the track. It all just depends on if your friend wants American Muscle or Advanced Engineering. Me...I'd keep the NSX, buy a 1991 Viper for about $10-15K whatever those older ones are going for now and enjoy the best of both worlds.

surferX said:
If you read the first line, his friend already owned a Viper. So he's already been there, done that. You should have your friend post on his regional forum and get someone with an SC NSX take him for a spin. Then he can judge for himself which way he wants to go. I know at least two Viper GTS owners have told me they want an NSX because they always get spanked in the twisties by them at the track. It all just depends on if your friend wants American Muscle or Advanced Engineering. Me...I'd keep the NSX, buy a 1991 Viper for about $10-15K whatever those older ones are going for now and enjoy the best of both worlds.
Oops missed that.

Then there is really no point of us giving our opinions, I believe. If someone has already had both, then they need to decide what their own priorities are and choose that vehicle.

Both would be my answer! The NSX will never be a brutally fast car for any reasonable amount of money. A viper, vette, cobra etc can all be made insanely fast for pennies compared to a NSX.

Tell your friend to keep the NSX for it's beautiful lines and exclusivity. Then buy some Detroit muscle for that raw power.

Keep the NSX. It's reliable, practical and rare. Buy the Dodge, ship it off to Heffners, have him blow on it. Trust me on this one......it's worth it. He recently built this TT GTS that ran 8.75 @ 169.....full interior with 100# of stereo equipment.

http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/509/20878_75PASS.wmv

I've been in a number of fast cars, some of the fastest NSX's out there, and nothing [well, with 4 wheels] even comes close to the feeling of punching the throttle and having the tires spinning at 100+ mph. Don't discount the handling of the Dodge. In the right hands, it is a very capable car, but not NEARLY as forgiving as the NSX.

Happy Holidays,

Ben

'91 r/b TT NSX (come on Gerry--finish that thing up)
'02 s/s NSX
'99 RT/10 Hennessy 600 + Heffner SC
Few others..........

beckertb said:
Keep the NSX. It's reliable, practical and rare. Buy the Dodge, ship it off to Heffners, have him blow on it. Trust me on this one......it's worth it. He recently built this TT GTS that ran 8.75 @ 169.....full interior with 100# of stereo equipment.

http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/509/20878_75PASS.wmv

I've been in a number of fast cars, some of the fastest NSX's out there, and nothing [well, with 4 wheels] even comes close to the feeling of punching the throttle and having the tires spinning at 100+ mph. Don't discount the handling of the Dodge. In the right hands, it is a very capable car, but not NEARLY as forgiving as the NSX.

Happy Holidays,

Ben

'91 r/b TT NSX (come on Gerry--finish that thing up)
'02 s/s NSX
'99 RT/10 Hennessy 600 + Heffner SC
Few others..........
masculine cars are vipers, vettes, mustangs, most BMW's, morgan's,old dodge muscle cars
feminine cars are porsche 911, NSX, lexus sports car, ferrari, ?lotus?, lamborghini, old VW convertible sports car, jaguars,

the difference is not the horsepower. the masculine cars have the big bulges
on the hood and wheel wells (like biceps). the feminine cars flow better and have softer lines.

when you take an NSX and put a snorkel and a body kit on it with the nsx-r hood and the bulging fenders you are masculinizing it.

Or he could sell the NSX, buy an older, less expensive one and send it over to Factor X.

Factor X is always a option, but for 30K with all the supporting mods you'll get a 650-750rwhp car and we will see how reliable it is as a street car with a current best of [email protected]h is very fast and I wish it was in my driveway!!

You can buy any 2nd gen viper and put on Nitrous, One of many blowers, or both and run the same times for under 15K day in and day out.

Like others have pointed out you can go crazy and run 8's & 9,s at over 140mph if you get more serious.

I wish there was a bigger aftermarket for the NSX the compeititveness would bring prices down. It's just a engine like any other car, but tuners charge out the yin yang...definately in the top 5 least hp/dollar friendly cars out there.

I had both a '99 GTs and my '95 NSX. Operative word here is had. I sold the Viper after almost 2 years, and I still have the NSX now over 4 years.
I found the Viper to be a beast to drive, very uncomfortable and not a happy car in Florida. The temp gauge gets a little too warm in stop and go traffic so I found I was always worried that it would overheat. I also was not satisfied with the fit and finish - doors did not line up perfectly, and I could start to see the grains of the fiberglass through the paint on the hood. Mine was black, had always been pampered and garaged and had only 15k miles. The buyer loved it and bought it in 10 minutes - mine was the 7th he had looked at. In short, mine was as good as they get!
Some really stupid design flaws with the Viper:
1) AC does not have a temperature control - just fan speed only. So on a warm day, the damn thing freezes you out.
2) No cruise control. Hey - its an expensive car - would another $200 killed Dodge to include cruise?
3) No dead pedal for your left foot - long highway trips were a pain.
4) No anti-lock brakes. I flat-spotted both front tires to avoid T-boning an eldery man who pulled in front of me. Cost me $725 for the front tires!
5) Real cheap looking interior. The center console is one giant piece of plastic!
6) Oh and one more thing - if you are bored, you can always watch the gas gauge go down!

The positives were the gut strong torque and raw HP - but you had to be really careful not to break the rear loose.
And the looks - if you are into attracting young boys, then get the Viper!

I did OK on my resale though - sold it for $500 less than I paid 2 years ago - not bad at all.

Tell him to get the NSX - it is all about impressing the driver - not others...

Bolen the viper is and was never about fit and finish or the highest quality materials. It was always about the most powerful muscle car made...notice I said muscle car.

Vipers when modded destroy just about everything in class on the track except C5-R's. A properly driven street Viper will annihilate almost any NSX on a road course or drag strip, but so will alot of cars. Go look at some ButtonWillow times on Viperclub.org and show me a NSX that comes close or look at 1/4 mile times. Many street driven Vipers are in the 9's and more than a couple with 210mph+ top speeds.

The NSX was always about rarity of a supercar without a supercar price.

With that being said there two totally different cars with different target market get both.

Jasil said:
Many street driven Vipers are in the 9's and more than a couple with 210mph+ top speeds.

I don't agree with some of what you're saying.
A stock Viper won't come close to these numbers.
I was part of the group that went to a Viper Club Sponsored event this past year in Vermont that the NSXCA was invited to.
Even in that crowd I don't believe there was one 9 second car.
9 seconds in the 1/4 is serious stuff.
Once you start trying to get into sub 11 numbers and especially single digits you're putting in some real serious money and entering the domain of the purpose built car.
They may qualify to "drive' on a public street but that's kind of like a Tuxedo or swim suit on the street. It can be done but...

Saying many street driven Vipers are in the 9's is overstated. It's a powerful fast car that creams the NSX in that venue but 9's is talked about and wished for by many and done by few.

While we're at it, the intention of the NSX was not about the rarity of a super car without the super car price. It was about precision, balance with a "nod" to it's formula one heritage.
It became rare because of small sales numbers.

Last edited:
Though I have only been for rides in a viper, I don't think a SC NSX will ever much the raw power and Tq of the viper. If that is what you are after, why not try the new Z06 in a few months. It will cream an old viper and any NSX.

Saying many street driven Vipers are in the 9's is overstated. It's a powerful fast car that creams the NSX in that venue but 9's is talked about and wished for by many and done by few.

My street driven Viper runs 9's (9.92 actually). There are many of them around, relatively speaking. FWIW, my car has full interior, no cage, no NOS, though launching with slicks makes the DVD player skip..........

Ben

I would have to go with the Viper. My dad has a 95 Hennessey Venom 500. I drove it when it was stock and after John did the Venom package. It was night and day. The car was incredible before, but it is unbelievable now. Vipers really are great cars. You really can't compare them to NSX's, though. NSX's are the epitomy of refinement.

beckertb said:
though launching with slicks makes the DVD player skip..........

Heh

I have a stroked 98 GTS by TNT. I had a 92 NSX about 4 years ago and needless to say the Viper is much quicker. My 92's interior wasn't that great either. I've been looking for a nice driver and checked out a few NSX's with the general bolt on mods. For 35K you get a 300hp 10 year old car. While it looks much better than a Z06, it's very much lacking in the power dept. If the used ones were to go down in price I would get another one, but 35K to get your ass handed to you by a Subaru, no thanks. I bought a used Paxton S/C with fuel system and will have it installed by spring to bring my Viper to 750-800 hp. This will make yet another 9 sec. Viper roaming the streets.
Tell him to keep the Viper and super charge it. No need to street race. When they hear the whine, they'll back off.

I was thinking about getting a 99 Viper RT/10 with 22K miles this weekend. Test drove it for 5 miles-- Very long test drive and fell in love with the car's look. But handling-- I felt like I was in a lowered pickup.

I had no confident making sharp turns. Also, they should remove the reverse gear because it's so challenging to accomplish. The best thing is just gas the car while turning the wheel. You'll do an instant 180.

But damn the Viper looks awesome :cool:

This lifted from a old thread..thank you Ken. :smile:
The 1st Gen. Viper looks like a clown shoe.

Last edited:
No offence to anyone here, but I personally dont like the lrounded ook of the first gen. viper. My good friend has one, and it is FAST. I also dont like the cheap interior or the handling, but that is my opinion. Comparing the viper to the nsx is like comparing apples and oranges, not really a fair comparison.

surferX said:
Me...I'd keep the NSX, buy a 1991 Viper for about $10-15K whatever those older ones are going for now and enjoy the best of both worlds.

Vipers started in 92, and were very limited production that year, and command a price premium, if/when you find one. A 93 is gonna be atleast $30,000, and from the interior upgrade, and horsepower jump, you're not gonna want older than a 97'.

If I was going to get a viper it would either be the 96 coupe in blue and white stripes or a 04 +. Nonething else.

A friend here drove a 05 viper and said it was quick, but he couldnt wait to get back into his NSX.

Personally, I have never driven one, but I hope to one day.

Back