1999 NSX vs. 1999 3000gt VR4

1999 nsx vs 1999 3000gt VR4

• NSX

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • 3000 Gt Vr4

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
NSXDreamer2 said:
VR4 is pretty fast on the straight line, NSX's acceleration is no where compared to that turbo(make a 2!!) rush.
Even the early 3.0-liter NSXs (5.3 0-60, 13.8 1/4) are faster than a stock 3000 GT VR4, which typically was mid to high fives 0-60 and low 14s in the 1/4 in the magazine tests. And, of course, the 3.2-liter NSX is significantly faster than the 3.0.

NSXDreamer2 said:
My dad owns a 96 and now it's approaching 98k miles... so I believed I can write up something more fair, instead of being a red neck bragging how good the NSX is... (Well, It is better.)

VR4 is pretty fast on the straight line, NSX's acceleration is no where compared to that turbo(make a 2!!) rush. However that's about how good it is.

Like I said in my initial post on this thread, I'm an ex VR4 owner. The 3000GT is slower, does not handle as well, and does not brake better than the NSX. So what if it has twin turbos or larger brakes? I upgraded my turbos. When I'm driving fast in the 3000GT, I get scared. It's not a car that inspires alot of confidence at fast speeds.

The 3000GT, or the GTO in japan, is not loved at all. Not even by Mitsubishi themselves. To Mitsubishi, the EVO is their flagship sports car.

My friend who has the Dodge Stealth (which is mechanically identical to the 3000GT, since they part of the DSM venture) couldn't believe how poor his car felt after driving my '95 NSX. I wonder what he would say if he drove my '01 NSX?

The 3000GT VR4 is in the same class as the Z32 300ZX, Supra, and RX7. The VR4 has always ranked the lowest.

I even modded my VR4, and it still felt inferior to the NSX. Every time I drove the 3000GT it felt like something would break.

Here are pics of my 3000GT. It has larger turbos, more boost, 550cc injectors, HKS fuel pump, a very illegal turbo back exhaust system, tein suspension, balance and blue printed engine, forged aluminum pistons, and a whole bunch of other upgrades. The NSX is STILL better!

6182218-41ce-028001E0-.jpg

6195807-8ad8-02000180-.jpg

6195804-df15-02000180-.jpg
6195809-88d0-02000180-.jpg
6195812-3def-02000180-.jpg

6182221-08a7-027100D9-.jpg

I'm not saying the NSX is better because I own an NSX. I owned a VR4 as well. This from my own personal experience owning both cars. As far as I can tell, you are the one who is biased towards the 3000GT because ur dad owns one. Maybe you should own an NSX before calling us red necks.

It looks like some 3si members are coming on the forums to vote for the VR4. I'm actually a long time member on 3si, do we really need these type of posts? What do you really expect posting something on an NSX forum? Lastly, if we really wanted a Viper, Z06, or anything else in the same price range as the NSX, we would've got it instead of the NSX, but we didn't. It's funny how people can make judgement on cars that they have never driven.

Last edited:
Stock-to-stock. Yes, the NSX will "outgun" the 3000GT. Modify, it's all about how much money you have, though the 3000GT is cheaper to modify.

Look, you are talking about a mid-engined, all aluminum, hand-made, titannium connecting rods and 8,000 rpm. Just look at what Ferrari did to the 360 Modena: all aluminum, hand-made, titanium connecting rods, mid-engined and high rpm. Sounds familiar to something that i know well, isn't it? Don't believe me, I know at least three people with the 360/NSX combination in their garage. Need I say more?

You can drive the 3000Gt as long as you want. As for me, i know where my heart lied, (mid-engined cars.) I know this, because i keep going back to the NSX/MR2 combination for my garage.

The problems you speak of must be in the older models?

I have only dealt with 1 3000 gto in the past and it was a 93.

The other mitsubishis I had were not 3000 gto, but from my experience (as an used car dealer, and a LOT of cars passes through my hands) Mitsubishi makes the most unreliable cars out of Japanese lot. They also had recall problem a while back and made a public apology, they were hiding recall info and was not recalling... if you remember that news.

All problems I keep on getting (even on cars that are only couple of years old) are electronics (ECU and fuel system related).

NSXSAN said:
Stock-to-stock. Yes, the NSX will "outgun" the 3000GT. Modify, it's all about how much money you have, though the 3000GT is cheaper to modify.

Look, you are talking about a mid-engined, all aluminum, hand-made, titannium connecting rods and 8,000 rpm. Just look at what Ferrari did to the 360 Modena: all aluminum, hand-made, titanium connecting rods, mid-engined and high rpm. Sounds familiar to something that i know well, isn't it? Don't believe me, I know at least three people with the 360/NSX combination in their garage. Need I say more?

You can drive the 3000Gt as long as you want. As for me, i know where my heart lied, (mid-engined cars.) I know this, because i keep going back to the NSX/MR2 combination for my garage.

it dont matter what rods the motor has, 270hp is 270hp...

I dont put any stock in what the MAGS got for 1/4 mile times in vr-4's/rt tt's Thy have no idea how to launch a AWD car. 13.0-13.3 1/4 mile is what a 100% stock 94-up vr-4/RT TT can run with a good driver.

And with mods it in not even close, my 95 RT TT with $8800 in mods ran 11.00@128mph (at 0ft in TX, it took quite a bit more money to run 10.88 in it at 3600ft)

Heck my pick-up truck can SMOKE a NSX in a drag race:)

A NSX is not a drag car, it is alot better at other things

Sorry, do you want to put your cars back to completely stock and race against my (270hp) NSX for some fun? If you live in California, then put your money where your mouth is. Just open up some magazines like "Motor Trend," "Road and Track,"... and see where the numbers are for each vehicle. Ohh, look at the "Gallery" section on the board, it has the NSX beat 355, M3, Skyline....

Read a post in the "Track" section, AJKS got his 2003 NSX into the 12s with ease, so yes magazine's number sometime is too conservative.

That STI and Evolution tried pretty hard, too, until they got smoked by my black and my friend's yellow NSX. All I did was lightening up my vehicle. With the so-called "limited number of hp," look at what the slightly change NSX can do:

0-60: 4.5-4.8
1/4: 13.0
Top Speed: 175 mph

Ohh, that is such terrible performance on the NSX, huh. However, if i want to make my cars go fast, i rather do it with the MR2, which can easily be transform into a monster, and leave my beatiful NSX alone.

If you want to race, come yourself, or set it up with someone here in SD and it is done.

I am sure that your modified car is fast, but put it back to completely stock and see.

You keep the 3000GT, whereas I will keep the (all-alumimnum, titanium connecting rods, hand-made, mid-engined, high RPM and reliable) NSX forever.

NSXDreamer2 said:

One more thing, It got the 4 piston caliper, errrh, what about our NSX??

The VR4 needs 4 piston calipers because it weighs 3800lbs! Even with the extra pistons the 0-60 stopping distance is worse than the NSX per every mag test.

I see that the starter of this thread is now banned. Now, how about we stop kicking the dead horse that is this thread.... :rolleyes:

My first sports car when I was 21 years old was a '94 3000 GT SL (non turbo). I remember at the time thinking it was very fast, but compared to cars I have owned since, it was not very quick. It did handle well and had excellent brakes. The reviews I read at the time always said the SL handled better and stopped quicker than the VR4 due to the weight difference (400 lbs difference).

Performance aside, at the time when the 94 model came out, it was one of the most beautiful cars on the road. That strange wing on the later models ruined the look IMO.

Eric5273 said:
Performance aside, at the time when the 94 model came out, it was one of the most beautiful cars on the road. That strange wing on the later models ruined the look IMO.
I agree. I had a 95 Stealth (which I preferred over the Mitsubishi styling, but to each his own), and I loved it. The 3000GT/Stealth is still a head-turner for me to this day.

PHOEN$X said:
I agree. I had a 95 Stealth (which I preferred over the Mitsubishi styling, but to each his own), and I loved it. The 3000GT/Stealth is still a head-turner for me to this day.

I loved ths styling as well, which is the primary reason I purchased the car. I always loved the '94-'96 3000GTs. It kinda went downhill for me when they introduced the '97 base 3000GT with a 161hp SOHC V6 and a Supra style wing.

The 2 cars can't even be compared, 3000GT is a GT luxury coupe, NSX is a midengine sports car.

I have owned 3 3000GTs, one of which was a VR4 Spyder :D The spyder was an awesome hardtop convertable, got LOTS of looks, it might not have been a "race" car, but its the only car in its class that i can think of. Any other AWD twin turbo Hardtop converts out there? Though it weighs over 4000 lbs I still managed to pull a 13.1@ 106 in my Spyder, it was a little modified of course ;) Not the fastest car on the road but faster than most out there.

I ran a 12.99 in my 96 VR4, only mods: Exhaust, lowering springs and a CF hood with scoop over the intake..not to bad

Right now im trying to decide if I should buy another VR4 Spyder or an NSX, its a tough choice, I loved the Spyder but I might be ready for a change.

Pics of my old Spyder

Damn, I miss that car...

Nesferatu said:
The 2 cars can't even be compared, 3000GT is a GT luxury coupe, NSX is a midengine sports car.

Yes, the two cars are in two totally different classes altogether.

NSX vs 3000gt vr4 ? ur kiddin me right?

Paul

RyRy210, since you have the 3000GT, then I won't call you a red neck. :D

I'm not biased towards 3000GT at all, in fact, before I have my NSX, I rather drive my Automatic accord than my dad's car.

:D :cool: I do have a NSX, and It's the best one in my garage. No Debate there.

What I'm saying was that, actually someone liked the VR4 for obvious diff. reason. I hate people relate performance to performance figures and 1/4 times. What I'm saying is that when the Turbo spooled up... You own one and seems like you had some mod. Don't even tell me the acceleration feel is not better than the NSX.

:confused: I'm not a person who like big hp acceleration. So, please don't stereotype me.

:mad:
As far as I can tell, you are the one who is biased towards the 3000GT because ur dad owns one. Maybe you should own an NSX before calling us red necks.
Maybe you should do a search and see if I have an NSX.. :D

Even my dad said the nsx is a better car, we just couldn't afford one back in 1996. It just that when everyone trying to say it's a POS, I would like to give a little credit to it. Afterall, Misubishi killed the line already. Somehow they do admit that they screwed up. We are talking about some designs happened to late eighties ( both nsx and the 3000GT was intoduced in 91), Honda took the light weight and well executed design route, and Mitsu. took the high tech Gizmo with a muscle car styling route...

You know it's kind of funny that, when I was young, I don't understand why people can stand some POS cars, now I understand. You could have two closely matched priced cars on Magazine (MSRP is the same, that is), however you could buy the worst performing one (less popular) for considerably less money while if you opt for the better one, you could spend up to 10-15k mark up.
For someone, who truly appreciated the winner car, 10-15k is worth it, for some, the one sold at MSRP is better deal.

Last edited:
nsxtasy said:
Even the early 3.0-liter NSXs (5.3 0-60, 13.8 1/4) are faster than a stock 3000 GT VR4, which typically was mid to high fives 0-60 and low 14s in the 1/4 in the magazine tests. And, of course, the 3.2-liter NSX is significantly faster than the 3.0.

For the very first time, I can pick on Ken:D

Are you talking about the 320 hp 3000GT with 6 speed, or the original 280hp one?? There's absolutely make a lot of difference on the time.

But what i really mean in my original post was the feel or the turbo rush. I'm not talking about 1/4 time, however.

like RyRy210 said, it's downright scary... I got scared whenever I bring the car more than 120mph too.

i must admit the 3000GTs were pretty slick when i owned one. the quality surpassed most sports cars out there. i didn't believe in eclipses because they had a joint venture with dodge.

all 3000GTs were made in japan with the exception of the VR-4s, which were built in Germany....whatever reason that may be.

i had mine for about 90k miles and didn't experience any problems. i had lots of mods and still that car performed and lasted.

i do admit i'm a bit itchy for a '99 VR-4 but not as a replacement to the most beautiful sports car in the world....my NSX....

Back