0-60 and 1/4 mile times

• Thread starter Thread starter C32B
  • Start date Start date
C

C32B

Please list modifcations done to your car, HP (if possible) and 0-60 + 1/4 times. I'm going to buy an NSX when I turn 16 and I'm trying to figure out how much the motor has to be built to get down into the 11.0 range. I'm trying to get a general idea of modded NSX's HP and speed. My goal is to get about 500 N/A HP out of the engine. Does anybody who is knowledgeable about the C32B know how hard it is? Also, does anybody know who makes an individual throttle body for the NSX besides Toda Racing? Thanks.

Hello

Greetings:

Ok, so you want the NSX to have 500 hp N/A. The c32 is a potent engine at 290 hp, but I think it's gonna be a far cry from making 500hp n/a without obscene amounts of cash.

Just fyi, most NSX's (no matter if c30 or c32) are having a hard enough time reaching your 500 hp mark with turbo or the supercharging option. It has been done, but few have achieved it. I do have a vid here somewhere of a 500hp nsx, but I think it's supercharged. On the other hand, Gerry Johnson has a turbocharged 500hp monster; (www.pansx.com).

To get into the 11's, your horsepower range seems more than adequate, but I think any NSX with a good clean 400hp at the wheels will achieve that number.

In the mean time I'll try to find that vid for you, best of luck.

regards

ravi

Honestly, trust me and please don't waste all of your money on an NSX.

I've got over $30k invested in my NSX...now that I'm smarter, not nearly smart enough though, I could have turned that $30k into $50k and into $75k and so forth and so on in a couple years. Another words, I could be well off by the time I'm 30 or so, being that i'm only 19 now.

Now, because I decided to live large now (which isn't a bad thing...the attention is great, the girls love it, my friends love it and i'm young enough to thoroughly enjoy every aspect of the X), I only have $10,000 to invest, which is enough but not the $30k I should have.

Just my .02.

If your parents are rich, you're fine. :rolleyes:

Ok, so you want the NSX to have 500 hp N/A. The c32 is a potent engine at 290 hp, but I think it's gonna be a far cry from making 500hp n/a without obscene amounts of cash.

Yes, I knew that would definately be the case but luckily, I have obscene amounts of cash.

In the mean time I'll try to find that vid for you, best of luck.

ok, thanks.

Honestly, trust me and please don't waste all of your money on an NSX.

I've got over $30k invested in my NSX...now that I'm smarter, not nearly smart enough though, I could have turned that $30k into $50k and into $75k and so forth and so on in a couple years. Another words, I could be well off by the time I'm 30 or so, being that i'm only 19 now.

Now, because I decided to live large now (which isn't a bad thing...the attention is great, the girls love it, my friends love it and i'm young enough to thoroughly enjoy every aspect of the X), I only have $10,000 to invest, which is enough but not the $30k I should have.

Just my .02.

If your parents are rich, you're fine.

Well, I inherited several hundred thousand dollars from my great-grandpa and I want a nice car. I think it's going to be money well spent.

Have you asked your parents about this?

Yes.

Several hundred thousand may sound a lot to you when you are 16, but it itsn't that much if you live long. I think you should spend it wisely.

Buy a house first, move out of your parents, be independent. Spend on yourself, get educated, become someone respectable. Invest on something that would give you some good returns.

Then spend the rest on nice cars. (if there is anything left)

If you must do 11 sec, and this has to be done on a NSX, then buy a used one, gut it out and make it light, turbo it, wear slicks, and see how fast you can go.

If you want me to help you abuy NSX-R from Japan and send it to you, don't hesitate to ask.

Well, I inherited several hundred thousand dollars from my great-grandpa and I want a nice car. I think it's going to be money well spent.

Well, if you have an IQ in the 99.9th percentile of the general population and the motivation to exercise it, then sure, blow the inheritance on a car because you can earn a comfortable living without the head start. If you don't, then you might just want to study investment strategies, and fast cars aren't high on that list.

I earn that much every year but I'm a little more circumspect than you seem to be about how I spend it...

if all u are looking at is speed, get a F body or a Z06.. soop them up and enjoy them cause they are meant to be very aggressive and fast and can easily pull lower 0-60 and 1/4 mile times than an NSX..! Most kids at 16 only care about speed..if you get a NSX and are wanting low 0-60s and 1/4 times, you will be dissapointed if speed is all you want. The NSX is a awesome car but at 16??? Heck.. I think a 16 yr old getting a F body or vette is a death wish. Start out with something tamed like a mr2..rx7..maybe a 300 zx etc so u can learn with those cars and appreciate them. They all have potential and all can get you in trouble as well. The along the road you can get a NSX and be ready for a nicer more expensive car. But oh well... its your money.. do as you please.. just dont abuse the car to death and come here after a few months later saying that u were racing or doing something silly with the car and totaled it! Plus.. if you get a NSX after having less expensive cars, you will appreciate it more :)

CRX B16B VTEC said:
Several hundred thousand may sound a lot to you when you are 16, but it itsn't that much if you live long. I think you should spend it wisely.

Buy a house first, move out of your parents, be independent. Spend on yourself, get educated, become someone respectable. Invest on something that would give you some good returns.

Then spend the rest on nice cars. (if there is anything left)

If you must do 11 sec, and this has to be done on a NSX, then buy a used one, gut it out and make it light, turbo it, wear slicks, and see how fast you can go.

If you want me to help you abuy NSX-R from Japan and send it to you, don't hesitate to ask.

I know, these days, that $350,000 can be easily blown with extravagent spending...I just want to buy a nice car. That's it. I'm not getting a house any time soon because I'm a good student and once i graduate HS, I plan to spend 8 years at MIT. I am buying a used NSX. I'm going to get a '91 for about $25,000 and drop a JDM C32B into it for probably like $7,000. How much would it cost to legalize an NSX-R? It's not hard getting it over here. I'm just worried about how hard it would be to legalize.

Well, if you have an IQ in the 99.9th percentile of the general population and the motivation to exercise it, then sure, blow the inheritance on a car because you can earn a comfortable living without the head start. If you don't, then you might just want to study investment strategies, and fast cars aren't high on that list.

I earn that much every year but I'm a little more circumspect than you seem to be about how I spend it...

Well, actually, the last time I had an IQ test (two years ago) I was in the 98th percentile with a 176. Like I said before, I plan on going to MIT for my Ph.D. so I'm not worried about money.

if all u are looking at is speed, get a F body or a Z06.. soop them up and enjoy them cause they are meant to be very aggressive and fast and can easily pull lower 0-60 and 1/4 mile times than an NSX..! Most kids at 16 only care about speed..if you get a NSX and are wanting low 0-60s and 1/4 times, you will be dissapointed if speed is all you want. The NSX is a awesome car but at 16??? Heck.. I think a 16 yr old getting a F body or vette is a death wish. Start out with something tamed like a mr2..rx7..maybe a 300 zx etc so u can learn with those cars and appreciate them. They all have potential and all can get you in trouble as well. The along the road you can get a NSX and be ready for a nicer more expensive car. But oh well... its your money.. do as you please.. just dont abuse the car to death and come here after a few months later saying that u were racing or doing something silly with the car and totaled it! Plus.. if you get a NSX after having less expensive cars, you will appreciate it more

I don't like American cars. The reason I want an NSX is because I think it's the only import with enough balls to go NA with. Speed is not all I want. Yes, I am looking for a fast car, but I like the styling of the NSX and I like the fact that it's a VERY rare car. Also, from what I hear, the NSX handles VERY NICELY. After I get some good use of it on the street, I might turn it into a track car and enter into some amateur races. I would buy something like an RX7 first, but I don't want to be spending the money on two cars. I just want to get my NSX.

C32B said:
Well, actually, the last time I had an IQ test (two years ago) I was in the 98th percentile with a 176. /B]

Well there's a severe inconsistency in your post because a 98th percentile IQ make one merely gifted but nowhere close to IQ176 under the WISC, WAISC, Stanford-Binet, or other IQ metrics. You're disproving your thesis with your posts...

If your IQ is only in the 98th percentile, then that lesser IQ, but hard working geek next to you will blow your doors off...

Number9 said:
Well there's a problem because a 98th percentile IQ make one merely gifted but nowhere close to IQ176 under the WISC, WAISC, Weschler (sp?), Stanford-Binet, or other IQ metrics. You're disproving your thesis with your posts...

Well, two years ago at my old private school, they gave me the option to take an IQ test if I wanted to. My score came back as 176 and they said that was basically a "genius" score and I'm pretty damn sure they said 98th percentile. I've since lost the results they gave me.

C32B said:
My score came back as 176 and they said that was basically a "genius" score and I'm pretty damn sure they said 98th percentile. I've since lost the results they gave me.
98th percentile isn't genius in anyone's definition. But for a consolation prize, you can join Mensa. Guess I won't be seeing you at the Triple 9 Society or International Society for Philosophical Enquiry meetings. Hey, I've since lost my 500 RWHP dyno sheet for my NSX... :p

Last edited:
Number9 said:
98th percentile isn't genius in anyone's definition. But for a consolation prize, you can join Mensa. Hey, I've since lost my 500 RWHP dyno sheet for my NSX... :p

I remember that my score was 176 and if that's higher then 98th percentile, sorry, I screwed up. Get over it. I have no reason to lie and I'm done with this. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to.

i love the syling on the NSX too.. but IMO that link of the NSX is terrible.. it just totally ruins the beauty of the NSX.. I think its way above and beyond on the looks and looks very..dare I say.."ricey"..but bottom line.. your money..your choice.. get whatcha like. Nowadays tons of car have great N/A performance.. the NSX is one of them.. but then again,not enough power is the most common complaint NSX owners have on polls..v8!v8 v8! :p

Bobby C 01TA said:
i love the syling on the NSX too.. but IMO that link of the NSX is terrible.. it just totally ruins the beauty of the NSX.. I think its way above and beyond on the looks and looks very..dare I say.."ricey"..but bottom line.. your money..your choice.. get whatcha like. Nowadays tons of car have great N/A performance.. the NSX is one of them.. but then again,not enough power is the most common complaint NSX owners have on polls..v8!v8 v8! :p

I like that kit, it may look almost "ricey" but it's a replica of a JGTC car and it's designed for downforce. I personally think it looks tight. yes! v8! v8! definately v8! :D I look forward to seeing a Honda V8.

If the kid wants the car, then let him buy it. It doesn't sound like he is lost at all.

C32B said:
I know, these days, that $350,000 can be easily blown with extravagent spending...I just want to buy a nice car. That's it. I'm not getting a house any time soon because I'm a good student and once i graduate HS, I plan to spend 8 years at MIT.
Eight years at MIT will use up most of that $350K. Maybe not all of it, but probably a good $300K of it.

And I would think that there should be higher priorities for the other $50K. Half of it ought to go to a car that you can use as a daily driver - whether you have it while you're in school, or buy it afterwards to commute to your first job. And you can't count on a highly-modded car as a daily driver.

The other half might go towards a nice downpayment on your first home, with help from your parents if you need it for the rest of the downpayment.

C32B said:
I'm going to get a '91 for about $25,000 and drop a JDM C32B into it for probably like $7,000.

Sounds like you've already given up on the 500 hp idea...

Well, MIT is app. $25,000/year to live on campus and that's if I don't get a scholarship. Bright Future scholarships (I believe they're given out by the state) can pay anywhere from like 10% of you're college tuition up to I think 75% depending on grades and SAT scores. Also, my dad owns a software development company and makes some pretty good cash so I'm not too woried about college. I haven't given up on 500hp, I just don't want to spend $50,000 on the car and then an additional $20-30,000 more on parts.

C32B said:
I'm a good student and once i graduate HS, I plan to spend 8 years at MIT. [...] Like I said before, I plan on going to MIT for my Ph.D. so I'm not worried about money.

You may want to start researching schools instead of cars. Doing all degrees at the same school will be almost impossible- even if you graduate with a 4.0 from undergrad, many schools would rather have people from a different school - it diversifies the person. You're also assuming that a PhD is a) what you want to do (it's not for everyone - it takes a different mentality than other degrees) and b) you're somehow going to make tons of money with that PhD. Its doubtful that you'll be raking it in with just a PhD, even from a prestigious school; you've got to have more going for you.

You may have a 176 IQ, but that doesn't make you wise. People here are trying to give you advice. It's free - take it.

C32B said:
MIT is app. $25,000/year to live on campus
Well, I don't know if you are good enough at math to get into MIT. According to the MIT website:

"For the 2003-2004 academic year, the student budget at MIT is $41,030: Tuition $29,400; Room and Board $8,710; Personal Expenses $2,720 (including books and supplies); and Student Activity Fee $200."

And by the time you get there, it will be higher. Come to think of it, taking into consideration increases in costs over eight years, there might not be much left of that $350K after all.

C32B said:
my dad owns a software development company and makes some pretty good cash
Then don't count on scholarships. And if he's half as smart as you claim you are, don't count on him paying for your college if you're going to spend a big chunk of that $350K on a car instead of college.

C32B said:
I haven't given up on 500hp, I just don't want to spend $50,000 on the car and then an additional $20-30,000 more on parts.
Then you have given up on 500 hp.

Ok then, it's been a loooong time since I checked the tuition price. I misquoted it. My bad. Please don't call me "kid," I don't like it.

He's already told me he'll pay for college and I might not be spending 8 whole years at MIT. Maybe just graduate school. I think it would be better if I were able to go there for 8 years but FTI is closer to home....

I have not given up on 500hp. I said I didn't want to spend all the money modifiying the car after I spent $50,000+ on one. I'll get an older one with high mileage and just drop the new engine into it. I can't even think of $20-$30,000 in engine parts but I figure my list probably isn't complete because although I do know a lot about cars for my age, I know nothing about cars compared to a lot of people.

If anybody knows where I can get some Titanium valves and retainers, please let me know. Does Mugen still make NSX parts??? I don't see anything on their website and I can't imagine Mugen not making NSX parts anymore.

Originally posted by C32B
I know, these days, that $350,000 can be easily blown with extravagent spending...I just want to buy a nice car. That's it.

You are right in your choice... The NSX is a beautiful automobile.

I'm not getting a house any time soon because I'm a good student and once i graduate HS, I plan to spend 8 years at MIT.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you only go to MIT, if MIT says so.

I am buying a used NSX. I'm going to get a '91 for about $25,000 and drop a JDM C32B into it for probably like $7,000.

It seems you are spending way too much time playing video-games (Gran Turismo comes to mind). This is not the way to get accepted at MIT btw...

I don't like American cars. The reason I want an NSX is because I think it's the only import with enough balls to go NA with. Speed is not all I want. Yes, I am looking for a fast car, but I like the styling of the NSX and I like the fact that it's a VERY rare car.

If you intend to buy an NSX to transform it into what you posted, please do not buy one ! And that "downforce" package as you call it, is not going to make you any quicker nor faster, but that again, I'm sure you'll learn it someday at MIT

Also, from what I hear, the NSX handles VERY NICELY. After I get some good use of it on the street, I might turn it into a track car and enter into some amateur races.

Probably you'll find some people even here disagreeing with me, but an NSX (and most Mid-engine cars out there) is no car to teach yourself driving skills if you are a rookie. And time spent playing video game, btw, does not count here !

I would buy something like an RX7 first, but I don't want to be spending the money on two cars. I just want to get my NSX.

Actually, that would be the thing to do. Get track time in a RX7 would be more fun, cheaper, and less dangerous than in an NSX. Since you inherited all this $$$, why can't you afford both ?

Bottom line, if I were you, I'd rethink over my priorities and focus on what is REALLY important...

As a member of the so called "above average group" ( my IQ based on a reputable test was in the range of 148) I find it hard to believe that you are in the so-called 98th percentile. If I recall correctly, a score of 176 is off the charts. It's possible, but I'm skeptical. :rolleyes:

Obscene amounts of money is a good thing, I'm sure many on this board earn obscene amounts...The truth of the matter is I think you're being immature about what the NSX is about. In all honesty it is not a straight line car but it can be if one uses forced induction. If you want something fast straightline, go domestic. The Z06 comes nicely equipped at $45k (brand new):cool: .

MIT is a very competitive school. I didn't apply there last year, but may try for graduate school or as a transfer applicant. Schools these days are looking for a well rounded individual, not just simply someone who gets a 4.0

If you really are what you say, more power to you--but I find it hard to believe that not only did YOU inherit that money, but you also have a "gifted" level of intelligence. I'm no rocket scientist, but I am an electrical engineer--I call BS.

regards,

ravi
:rolleyes:

STOCKTONSX said:
If you really are what you say, more power to you--but I find it hard to believe that not only did YOU inherit that money,

Good point Ravi... for any expert in legal matters out there, can a 16 year old dig in his $350,000 inheritance before turning 18 years of age ?

Can anybody answer the original questions? I didn't post here to have to defend myself.

As a member of the so called "above average group" ( my IQ based on a reputable test was in the range of 148) I find it hard to believe that you are in the so-called 98th percentile. If I recall correctly, a score of 176 is off the charts. It's possible, but I'm skeptical.

Well, maybe that's why my advanced classes are so damn easy. People, please don't post saying you don't believe what my IQ is. I don't care if you don't believe me. As far as my score being in the 98th percentile, that's what I thought, I guess I've already been corrected on that. If that score is off the charts....well that's all good for me, isn't it?

Obscene amounts of money is a good thing, I'm sure many on this board earn obscene amounts...The truth of the matter is I think you're being immature about what the NSX is about. In all honesty it is not a straight line car but it can be if one uses forced induction. If you want something fast straightline, go domestic. The Z06 comes nicely equipped at $45k (brand new) .

How am I being immature about what the NSX is about? I don't want a straight line car. The damn thing handles well and the motor has some pretty damn good potential. Like I said before, I do not like domestics. Not like I'm dissing them or calling them slow...they're just not for me.

MIT is a very competitive school. I didn't apply there last year, but may try for graduate school or as a transfer applicant. Schools these days are looking for a well rounded individual, not just simply someone who gets a 4.0

Yes, I know it's very cpmpetitive, that's why I said I'm planning to go (instead of going to go). I'm not to active in extracurricular activites (besides baseball) so I'm going to have to WORK MY ASS OF on the SATs and quality points.

If you really are what you say, more power to you--but I find it hard to believe that not only did YOU inherit that money, but you also have a "gifted" level of intelligence. I'm no rocket scientist, but I am an electrical engineer--I call BS.

Just to let you know, some people really do have a "gifted" level of intelligence and some people really do inherit a lot of money. I have absolutely no way of proving my IQ to you and I guess I could tell you how my great-grandpa made his money if you really want to know...not like it will prove anything.

So you call BS because I was wrong about being in the 98th percentile or because you think this situation is unlikely?Whatever it is, frankly, I don't care. I have not really got any of the information I was looking for by starting this post. It seems like all I've been doing is defending myself.

Some of you may be giving me advice,I thank you for it, but it is really none of your business what I do with my money. I would appreciate it if we could stick to the original topic if this thread.

If my Dad was worried about college funds or anything like that, he sure as hell wouldn't let me use enough money to get an NSX. I probably won't even be able to do engine mods til I turn 18 and get control of my inheritence.

Back