zymol chicago and CT the same

I just got off the phone with Diane from Zymol.

After searching the forms on detailing it was pointed out a couple of times to use the CT stuff, and don't use the stuff made in Chicago. I am speaking of the cleaner wax.

Diane said they use our formula and just distribute it. It is exactly the same.

just an fyi - open to correction if you know something she does not.

I think you are confused, and "Diane"'s explanation did not help. The people at Zymol do not exactly go out of their way to say anything negative about the products made in Chicago. It's easy to understand the reasons for this, even though it is not particularly helpful when you're looking for advice.

There is only one one-step product called a "Cleaner Wax". It is made in Chicago by Turtle Wax, and marketed under the Zymol brand name. There is no same or similar product in the line of Zymol products made in Connecticut.

Zymol makes and markets products for each individual step - Zymol Clear for washing, HD-Cleanse for cleaning the finish, Zymol Japon (37 percent carnauba) or Zymol NSX (51 percent carnauba) wax for protecting, Zymol Treat for leather care, etc. These products are made only in Connecticut and there are no same or similar products made in Chicago.

Your results will not be as good with a one-step product as they will with products designed for each individual step (washing, cleaning, protecting, etc). This is true of all brands - Zymol, Meguiars, etc.

For more information about Zymol products, see this previous topic as well as the Zymol website.

I'd take Ken's word on it. ;)

Something that's interesting is that on the Griot website they claim that the maximum amount of carnuba that can be put into a wax is "about 30%." Zymol has significantly more, expecially in the NSX specific variety (claim 52%). Why is this? Are they adding the carnuba sap with the Yellow carnuba, where maybe Griot's is only considering "yellow carnuba" in their statement? Then, even if Zymol is adding those two numbers to get to "52%," the number is still short by 9%.

Don't rack your brain Ken. I'm just sharing a thought out-loud.

I don't know the answer.

I do know that there are two different kinds of carnauba: yellow carnauba and white carnauba. White carnauba provides even greater gloss and depth to the finish, but yellow carnauba provides better protection against the elements. This is why Zymol has their expensive "estate glazes" such as Concours and NSX (the ones with 47-53 percent carnauba) designed for the ultimate shine, with 90 percent of the carnauba as white carnauba, and 10 percent as yellow carnauba; but they recommend their Titanium wax (51 percent carnauba) for SUVs, with 20 percent of the carnauba as white carnauba and 80 percent as yellow carnauba, presumably with the thought that SUVs will be exposed to the elements and there is more concern for protection than for gloss.

90% for the NSX wax? On this page they say "Carnauba Sap 21%, #1 Yellow Carnauba 22%." Probably just a typo or something. I was more interested in the Griot's claim of 30% max, wondering if the "carnuba sap" played a role in achieving a higher percentage.

Again, I don't know the answer. I'm not even sure what carnauba sap is.

As for that 90 percent figure, let's go back a step. There is a percentage of carnauba out of the entire product, by volume; presumably, this is what Griot's is talking about. Zymol's "standard" (my term) waxes (Japon, Carbon, Creame) contain 33 to 37 percent carnauba. Their "estate glazes" (their term) contain more carnauba than that, up to 61 percent for their Vintage wax (I had thought it was lower, but I just looked it up). FWIW, none of the other estate glazes mention carnauba sap in their ingredients, so one could draw the conclusion that the carnauba sap, alone, does not explain the ability to exceed Griot's claims.

Let's be careful to distinguish the percentage of carnauba (all kinds) out of the entire wax, by volume (33-61 percent, as noted above) from the percentage of white carnauba (or yellow carnauba) out of all the carnauba in the wax. The 90 percent figure I quoted above was for their Concours estate glaze. It contains 47 percent carnauba by volume. 90 percent of the carnauba in Concours is white carnauba, and 10 percent of the carnauba is yellow carnauba. 100 percent of the carnauba in three other estate glazes (Vintage, Atlantique, and Destiny) is white carnauba; they contain no yellow carnauba. I don't know whether carnauba sap counts as white carnauba, or yellow carnauba, or something else, so I don't know how you would specify the corresponding percentages for NSX wax. (Although I have heard from very reliable sources that Zymol developed their NSX wax after extensive discussions with the folks who designed and engineered the NSX paint formulation applied at the factory in Tochigi.)

Thanks for the info.

1st the good news, I ordered some product from them direct. So the real deal is on the way. NSX wax.

I do believe the above posts before I trust the company. That is the bad news - very sad that they would lie to a customer.

I re read the post- I get it now. They are just making a buck off of the mass market. Not really a lie, but not not full disclosure. If Ken did not recommend the product so highly I would not be spending the $$ with them. Ken make sure they send you a commish on my order.

Thanks again - once again prime is the source.

Last edited:
Back