zanardi, whats it worth?

Did you buy a new Zanardi with Yoko's on it?

Bob.....FYI Car & Driver tested a Zanardi in their July 1999 issue. Tires on that car were Yoko....you can click to zoom in on the specs data to read the attached & confirm.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/cd9907.htm

I should note that Road & Track tested another Zanardi in 6/99 and it had REO10's.

Neither brand of tire lasts very long on the NSX!

cd0799-c.jpg

Last edited:
Bob.....FYI Car & Driver tested a Zanardi in their July 1999 issue. Tires on that car were Yoko....I should note that Road & Track tested another Zanardi in 6/99 and it had REO10's.

Thanks Steve. I didn't think to check the articles. I now checked and the Motor Trend article also had Yoko's, although this is likely the same vehicle Car & Driver used because the media frequently share vehicles. Either way, what I was thinking in my head about all having Bridgestone's is incorrect.

Oh, well - whatever, but that's just the other side of this continuing discussion - just another point of view that may or may not be worth considering. Whoever gets this Zanardi should enjoy it and buy it for that purpose - not buy it and lock it away in a vault like a Rembrandt. It's like putting a Stradivarius away in a closet and not playing it for fear of wearing it out....what a travesty that would be.

Adios....

Your point is worthy of consideration and well made. Cars should be used for their intended purpose; driving them. In the short term, miles and repaints may reduce value. In the long run, valuation is more about the substance of the car and whether it is a true representation of the breed. I wouldn't turn down a Ferrari 250 GTO because in had been treated to a Pebble Beach "respray" or because it had traversed the whole Europe a few times.

Here's my take on the Zanardi. Consider the following analogy: Suppose I love hamburgers. Further suppose that I have a very well developed taste in burgers, and after many years of devoted testing and experimentation, I decide that my favorite burger in the whole world is a Kobe beef patty, cooked medium rare on a sesame Seed Bun with apple wood bacon. When I go to my favorite burger restaurant, this is what I'm going to order, and its not because someone else likes it. Once I've ordered this masterpiece, do you think I'm going to agonize over it and then say to my dinner companions "but if I take a bite it won't be worth as much"?

After I sold my 2001 Coupe, I realized that I had let go of a wonderful, unique car. Not because someone else thinks its cool (to the contrary, many think it is completely outgunned by my later purchases) but because I think its cool. Nine years and many uber cars later, I started shopping for another NSX Coupe. I soon realized that the Zanardi was the best of both worlds; 3.2, 6 speed from the NA2 combined with the fixed roof, light weight, and non power steering of the early NA1. The fact that mother Honda only built 50 of them didn't really factor into my decision, except that it meant I was going to have to get my wallet out to make the deal happen.

Most people outside of our tiny little community don't know or care what a Zanardi is. Heck, many don't know or care what an NSX is. Fact is, I feel like in my warped, wacky world, I have developed a very personal taste for great cars. The characteristics of the Zanardi just happen to scratch my peculiar itch. BIG TIME.

I would no sooner store the lovely Zanardi away than I would order a burger and stare at it until it went cold. I'm gonna sink my teeth in and enjoy every minute of it. I ain't gonna save it for the next guy. :)

IMG_0327.jpg

At Science of Speed in Chandler, AZ

IMG_0330.jpg

Band of Brothers

I know there are at least a dozen "missing" Zanardi's. Cars that have never been seen after it left the dealer lot. Take away all of the Zanardi's that have been modified, crashed, repainted, totaled, riced or whatever...................

how many Zanardi's are currently clean, unmolested and accountable?

20ish? If so, 65k for not one of 50 but perhaps 1-20 is really really cheep.
Shit if I won the super lotto jackpot, I'd concock a scheme to corner the market by quietly buying every one in existance.

Zanardi versions introduced "New Formula Red" to the NSX which was a different hue vs "Formula Red"

Zanardi.jpg

I know there are at least a dozen "missing" Zanardi's. Cars that have never been seen after it left the dealer lot. Take away all of the Zanardi's that have been modified, crashed, repainted, totaled, riced or whatever...................

how many Zanardi's are currently clean, unmolested and accountable?

20ish? If so, 65k for not one of 50 but perhaps 1-20 is really really cheep.
Shit if I won the super lotto jackpot, I'd concock a scheme to corner the market by quietly buying every one in existance.

My guess for cars under 40k miles, no issues or stories is probably 15-20. My time is super tight but I would like to try to update the unOfficial Zanardi registry at some point in time this winter.

Maybe someone who is more computer savvy can assist or point me in the right direction. I can do all the Carfax's and Vins status inquiries through the Acura interactive network.

Now the real winner is the guy who bought one new for $70k or so, kept it for all this time and its still worth the same money if not more.:wink:

Just realized this is my 7000th post!!!

Congrats on your 7000th post ... must be an omen... 7,000 x 10 comes out to $70k

Im keeping mine, I really do love the car. People dont understand that its far from an upgraded NSX. I had a CTSC'd coupe, nothing like a true NA2 hardtop. :wink:

I'd love to have a Zanardi. I wouldn't be selling either.

I don't plan on selling my 91, but if I found a nice Zanardi & was in a position to pick one up, I'd do it.

I believe all the NSX's will eventually sell for more than they sold new and that the Zarnardi edition would pull an even higher premium. At least as long as there is gas to put in them. :smile:

I hope that one day I end up with one but they may always be out of my price range at this rate! Unless I get one that is a salvaged title and built by Shawn! As long as the frame isn't damaged I'd get it. You see I have no problems getting one that has had panels replaced and repainted - guess why - cause I'm going to drive it!!!! Not look at it and "preserve it" for the next guy. I am the next guy and I will choose to use it!

So there may be hope for me after all.....:wink:

One for around 40 to 50k.....yep that would do it and maybe I could get one that was unwrecked with higher mileage (I hope the Kid is right on his pricing) - oh - the rest of you lurkers - forget I mentioned this and live with the idea that you must at all costs have one that is pristine and super low mileage - repeat that - make it your mantra - please and thank you for your support! :biggrin:

Adios Bros...

I believe all the NSX's will eventually sell for more than they sold new and that the Zarnardi edition would pull an even higher premium. At least as long as there is gas to put in them. :smile:

This is already happening in Japan:

The cost of a Type S was 10,357,000 Yen from their introduction in 1997 right up until 2003. The last few (less than 10) Type S cost 10,875,000 Yen. The Type S was the most expensive of all NSX in Japan, Type R excepted, naturally. A standard coupe of the same vintage cost around 9,500,000, a Type T 10,500,000.

Note that the Type S had non-standard seats, unlike the Zanardi. Another difference is that the Type S was available in many colours, not just New Formula Red. In some ways, the Type S was nearer to the Type R than the Zanardi.....

Talking of the Type R - this one (final one?) is more than double what it cost originally !!!!! The same company have a 2002 Type R for 22,000,000 Yen !!

note: I have my browser set up to automatically translate all foreign websites to English - makes drooling about JDM NSX easier :biggrin:

Last edited:
This is already happening in Japan:

The cost of a Type S was 10,357,000 Yen from their introduction in 1997 right up until 2003. The last few (less than 10) Type S cost 10,875,000 Yen. The Type S was the most expensive of all NSX in Japan, Type R excepted, naturally. A standard coupe of the same vintage cost around 9,500,000, a Type T 10,500,000.

Note that the Type S had non-standard seats, unlike the Zanardi. Another difference is that the Type S was available in many colours, not just New Formula Red. In some ways, the Type S was nearer to the Type R than the Zanardi.....

Talking of the Type R - this one (final one?) is more than double what it cost originally !!!!! The same company have a 2002 Type R for 22,000,000 Yen !!

note: I have my browser set up to automatically translate all foreign websites to English - makes drooling about JDM NSX easier :biggrin:

Hyper Rev #32 is loaded with photos of JDM type S NSX's (interior & exterior) plus a bunch of other stuff. Helps to be able to read Japanese too, but worth it for an enthusiast/historian.

http://www.nengun.com/hyper-rev/honda-nsx-vol-32

Well hold on about the future value guys. I don't think there can be any good argument that driving the car will not reduce its value. A car with original paint and low original miles will always be worth more than an example that has been restored and driven a lot. As it gets more rare it's value would only increase exponentially if it were all original. Bottom line, if you don't care about that sort of thing then drive it freely- but you will change the future market value and it will be worth less with every bit of enjoyment you get out of it. Just think if that GTO had been kept in a time capsule instead of being driven, buyers would all be fighting for it like crazy (not counting specially driven circumstances like racing history). It would have sucked to own it and not drive it, but you would get a reward for your discipline. Whether that's worth the torture is up to the owner but the facts don't change.

Last edited:
I'm curious to know why some keep talking about how the Zanardi hold its value or will eventually sell for more than its original price, but say that they'll never sell. What's the point? It only makes sense to keep your Zanardi in prestine condition if you have the hope of cashing in one day. Even then, you would think that there are better ways to "invest" your money. You do realize that $70k in 1999 is NOT the same as $70k in 2050, right? Somewhere along the way, you lost some money to maintenance, interest on car payments, auto insurance, and INFLATION.

Perhaps I have an extremely simple way of thinking about life, but I don't intend on leaving behind my toys, polished and "untouched", just to have my kids fight about who will get to sell it to fill their pockets. In this life, when it's your time to go, you can bring nothing with you, not even the clothes on your back so why not enjoy the hell out of the things you worked so hard to earn?

I'm not knocking the NSX Zanardi Edition. I think it's an awesome toy, but why not enjoy it instead of storing it.

I'm curious to know why some keep talking about how the Zanardi hold its value or will eventually sell for more than its original price, but say that they'll never sell. What's the point? It only makes sense to keep your Zanardi in prestine condition if you have the hope of cashing in one day. Even then, you would think that there are better ways to "invest" your money. You do realize that $70k in 1999 is NOT the same as $70k in 2050, right? Somewhere along the way, you lost some money to maintenance, interest on car payments, auto insurance, and INFLATION.

Perhaps I have an extremely simple way of thinking about life, but I don't intend on leaving behind my toys, polished and "untouched", just to have my kids fight about who will get to sell it to fill their pockets. In this life, when it's your time to go, you can bring nothing with you, not even the clothes on your back so why not enjoy the hell out of the things you worked so hard to earn?

I'm not knocking the NSX Zanardi Edition. I think it's an awesome toy, but why not enjoy it instead of storing it.

I feel compelled to point out that you view is simply a very narrow way to look at hobbies and life in general.
I do hope that you have something that you put away but only take out for special occasions and for the right moods. The same goes for people's jewelries, clothes, shoes, underwears, dentures, and etc. $70k can be a lot of money for someones but also can be pocket changes for some. I don't suppose a car nut who has a whole fleet of Ferraris and Bugattis are missing "the point" if he does not drive the cars everyday. Having a Zanardi is not just being able to drive a special NSX but owning a "pride and joy." Everyone has different priorities and ways to enjoy things. If you have gone to a concourse, I see the owners are "enjoying the hell out of" owning the cars and the spectators are "enjoying the hell out of" LOOKING at them too. It's about options. That's all.
Steve

Last edited:
Yes. Just one.
Don't drive nice cars on really old tires.
If you just drive them to and from car shows at 30MPH, you should be OK on old, dried out tires. If you drive the car in the spirit to which it was meant to, you'd better change the tires, regardless of wear after 5 or six years. That's assuming they were "fresh dated" tires when you put them on the car!!!!

last time i dove on them in the spring i absolutley aired them out! 13yrs old! funny thing is, the car drives even better w the smaller wheels:smile:

I think that's too high. Mileage is too high.
I would be very cautious about assigning a value to these cars There are far to few of them changing hands to establish any kind of value I would use the market value of a similiar na2 and add a premium for the Zanardi Given the exceptional rarity of the vehicle I would estimate the premium could be anywere from 20-40% Having said that I dont view the car as an investment in the short term. Only a tiny percentage of cars will ever qualify as an investment I purchased my Zanardi because the way it drives and if I get what I paid for it I'll be quite happy If not its still the best sports car I've ever owned. The only car I would replace it with is the Porsche GT3 RS

Thanks for chiming in owner of #8! Out of curiosity where are you located?

I would be very cautious about assigning a value to these cars There are far to few of them changing hands to establish any kind of value

Furthermore, they seem to change hands outside the typical sphere of Prime/Autotrader/etc that most NSXs move through.

This is frustrating both because researching historical listings is difficult, and of course if you actually want one and are ready to buy, the "usual places" are almost worthless and someone has to let you in on the secret of where Zanardis get listed when they go on sale.

Back