Yellow's The Color of The Day

Hmmm, seems like there are two yellow '02's on eBay currently for sale. The first one is an old familiar. Interesting to note that the price has dropped to $71.5K -- this, too, for a brand new car. That seems like a very attractice price. No buyers, fellas??

The second one recently got put on. It's a dropped Comptech charged bad boy, with 5.6K miles. Looks pretty mean. What's the story with this one. Mike, are you a poster on Prime?

Regards.

Originally posted by NSXaholic:
Interesting to note that the price has dropped to $71.5K -- this, too, for a brand new car.

No, this is a used car. It's one that has been hardly driven, but it apparently has been previously titled. And even a used car with only 90 miles can't fetch the same price as one that is new.

The second one recently got put on. It's a dropped Comptech charged bad boy, with 5.6K miles. Looks pretty mean. What's the story with this one.

Of course, we don't know the reserve price, so it's hard to tell. And the auction hasn't closed yet.

Just talking rough numbers, I would guess that a car like the one described here is worth maybe $68K for the car plus maybe $10K for the mods, so it ought to sell for around $78K elsewhere, maybe $80K if someone really wanted to buy a new car with exactly these mods, but that's a stretch. Given the general risk level on eBay and the often lower prices there as a consequence, it might get bid to a few thou less, at most around $73-74K I'm guessing.

How realistic was the seller (a dealer) in setting his reserve price? How high will any buyer be willing to go? I guess we'll find out in five days.

Originally posted by musclesmarinara2:
The second Nsx is offered too cheap I think.Maybe there is prior problems.Anybody know who makes the clutch,brake and gas pedals on this car??

It has a reserve, that is not the price he is asking for.

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

The second Nsx is offered too cheap I think.

You don't know that. All you can see right now is what people have bid on it so far, with five days to go before the auction closes. For all we know the seller may have set a reserve price as high $100K and it won't sell for less! The only thing we know for sure is that his reserve price is more than the current bid ($52,699).

That misconception seems to be a bit of an epedemic with Ebay. I've seen it countless times with all kinds of cars. You'll see a "look how cheap xxx is going for!" type post and when you check the links, all of the auctions have reserves that have not been met.

An auction not having a minimum bid is meaningless if it has a reserve.

Originally posted by spookyp:
An auction not having a minimum bid is meaningless if it has a reserve.

Agreed.

<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 31 January 2003).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
No, this is a used car. It's one that has been hardly driven, but it apparently has been previously titled. And even a used car with only 90 miles can't fetch the same price as one that is new.

Sorry, I should have caught that. In fact I think this issue was discussed previously on another thread. I still think that $71.5 for a previously-titled car with 90 miles is extremely attractive. A titled car with 900 miles on the odo would be less so, but anybody wishing to sell a car after 90 miles either titled it in error, or had a serious change in fortune. Either way, I would consider this a better buy than some of the "new" untitled cars that dealers are selling with a couple of hundred miles.

...How realistic was the seller (a dealer) in setting his reserve price? How high will any buyer be willing to go? I guess we'll find out in five days.

Right. And to clarify, I brought up the second car not to imply that that's the price the seller was asking and gawk at how cheap it was, but to query whether somebody on this board was selling it.

Regards.

It could be that the 90 mile car is now being sold by a non franchised Acura dealer, hence franchised dealers hold cars in MSO a non franchised dealer may be required to title it regardless of miles. I have know Acura dealers to wholesale NSX to secondary markets as a result of not being able to more the product.

Originally posted by Fun2romein:
It could be that the 90 mile car is now being sold by a non franchised Acura dealer, hence franchised dealers hold cars in MSO a non franchised dealer may be required to title it regardless of miles. I have know Acura dealers to wholesale NSX to secondary markets as a result of not being able to more the product.

A quick visit to their website seems to suggest that they are not a franchised Acura dealer.

Regards.

Anybody know who makes the clutch,brake and gas pedals on this car??

Those are Momo SuperTurismo pedals. I have the same set, but in red. They cost about $50 at www.NOPIonline.com

SR

edit: It looks like they didn't use the gas pedal, only the brake and clutch. The factory gas pedal sticks is longer than the momo, so you have to cut it. I assume that's why they didn't use the gas pedal.

mmsuperturismoyellow.jpg

[This message has been edited by CmputerWiz (edited 31 January 2003).]

I would consider this a better buy than some of the "new" untitled cars that dealers are selling with a couple of hundred miles.

New NSXs generally do not have a couple of hundred miles. I believe each is driven 20-30 miles around the track at Tochigi, and there may be a few miles in transit. After that, it's up to the dealer whether to permit test drives, and how far the car is driven. I think if you took a survey of those buying new NSXs, you would find that 90+ percent of them had fewer miles on them when bought, than this car does. I know mine did.

New NSXs generally do not have a couple of hundred miles...it's up to the dealer whether to permit test drives, and how far the car is driven...

But that is my point nsxtasy. While the majority of dealers do not let many miles put on showroom NSX's, some do let prospective customers test drive the car, and therefore ending up having a car with 50, 70, maybe even north of a 100 miles on it. Yet because it is untitled, they claim it is "new." I'm not saying the miles are excessive, but I, myself, have been able to test drive a few "new" NSX's that have high-double digit miles on them. IMHO, there is not difference between those "new" cars, and this one, and the prices should reflect that. Heck, give me a titled 90 mile that's $1K - $2K less than an "new" untitled 90 mile car anyday.
biggrin.gif

Just my $0.02.

Regards.

Heck, give me a titled 90 mile that's $1K - $2K less than an "new" untitled 90 mile car anyday.

But many others might not be willing to make that trade-off.

And apparently there's no one who is willing to get a super-low-mileage used car under those terms, since the car has not sold.

Right. And to clarify, I brought up the second car not to imply that that's the price the seller was asking and gawk at how cheap it was, but to query whether somebody on this board was selling it.

Regards.
Before I bought my car, I called the dealer on this car. This was the car that another forum buddy's friend won on a raffle. He didn't want the car and sold it back to the Acura dealer (it was titled when he won it), it was then sold to the dealer currently listing the car. It's been on E-Bay since early November.

Originally posted by RPM217:
Before I bought my car, I called the dealer on this car...

Interesting factoid, but I think you are talking about the first car, not the second, right? This is the first time that I am seeing the second car, but the first one has been around for a while. I think November's about right.

Regards.

Mistery solved!!!! 90 miles or 30 miles savings are savings. For all intesive purpose the car is new.

Originally posted by Fun2romein:
...For all intesive purpose the car is new.

My thoughts exactly. Like I said before, if I was in the market for an '02 (and assuming I wasn't having as much fun with my X as I am now), I'd happily save 2K and pick this car up in a heartbeat -- assuming of course, that the only difference between this and a "new" car is that this has been titled.

Regards.

[This message has been edited by NSXaholic (edited 01 February 2003).]

It's still not a new car, and if you buy it, you cannot claim to be the original owner.

I'd happily save 2K and pick this car up in a heartbeat -- assuming of course, that the only difference between this and a "new" car is that this has been titled.

Maybe you are willing to make that trade-off, but apparently no one who is shopping for a new NSX is willing to do so; otherwise it would have been sold.

...apparently no one who is shopping for a new NSX is willing to do so; otherwise it would have been sold.

Perhaps there could be other issues:

(1) Truly something wrong with the car

(2) Complicated title/ownership structure that needs to be unwrapped (who knows what the issues are with the raffle)

(3) Dealer cannot clearly articulate the title issues, scaring off potential buyers

(4) Soft market for '02's in general, so there exist only a handful of buyers, and many of them are willing to pay a premium to purchase from a dealer close by, since dealers have '02s on their lot that they are willing to sell at aggressive prices.

The example I have allued to in previous posts centered around two hypotetical cars, where Car 1 which is analogous to Car 2 except for the fact that it has been previously titled. Given that none of us know the complete set of issues surrounding this particular car, it would be erroneous of us to attribute that the fact that it has not sold simply to the idea that it has been titled.

As you can see, there are at least two of us that would go for this car if we were in the market -- and assuming there were no other issues. This is something I don't know given that I have not inquired about the car, but is something a serious prospective owner may have uncovered.
biggrin.gif

Regards.

[This message has been edited by NSXaholic (edited 01 February 2003).]

I don't understand, Vik - why are you being so argumentative?

You posted that there are two cars for sale, one of them allegedly new (but not), and asked why they weren't selling.

I pointed out that the first car wasn't new, and that most people willing to pay the price for a new car would buy a new car, not a used car, no matter how low the mileage is on the used car.

You claim that that's not the reason the car hasn't sold - that somewhere, someone ought to be willing to buy it to save a couple grand - but there is clear proof that that is not the case, in the fact that the car hasn't sold. That disproves your hypothesis.

So now you are bending over backwards, speculating about obscure and unlikely reasons the car hasn't sold, while the most obvious one is staring you in the face.

If you wanted to state all the unlikely reasons the car hasn't sold, why didn't you posit them in the first place, rather than asking why it hasn't sold and finding out the most obvious reason?

It's kind of like sitting in a friend's living room with his Saint Bernard, seeing a box of dog biscuits, and insisting that surely your friend must also have a Chihuahua...

The simple fact is that this car is NOT A GOOD VALUE. $2K of savings, compared with a new car, is just not enough to make it worthwhile for the new car buyer. Someone who's willing to pay the price for a new NSX (~$73K) is not going to get a used one just to save a couple grand. And someone like you, who is willing to get a used car, would be a lot more likely to get one with 5-10K miles and save $5-10K, than to get one with 90 miles and only save $2K. We have empirical evidence that proves this. You say that you would buy this car, but the fact is, you preferred to save $30K and buy a '95 with a lot more miles. The fellow in NY was willing to pay the price for a brand new NSX identical to this one, and he did, even though he knew that he could have saved a couple grand on this one. QED.

So, if you didn't want to hear the most likely reason why this car hasn't sold, why did you ask?

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 01 February 2003).]

Ahhh, nsxtasy. I go out for a nice dinner and come back to this!! Ouch -- this seems to be getting personal. Let me respond one last time, but before doing so I would like to clarify the following: my purpose of posting to Prime is to learn, educate (when I can) and professionally discuss differences of opinion. I would hope that if such differences of opinion exist -- as seem to be the case now -- that we recognize them as such and leave it at that, rather than calling the other party "argumentative." Although you have expressed your opinion equally forcefully on this thread, I wouldn't label you as argumentative, but merely somebody trying to state what you believe. I would hope you would extend me the same courtesy
wink.gif

I pointed out that the first car wasn't new, and that most people willing to pay the price for a new car would buy a new car, not a used car, no matter how low the mileage is on the used car.

Most people won't, agreed -- because many of those are "gung ho" about buying a new car. Heck, for them, even a $5K differential won't be enought to opt for the titled car. Why? Because they "want a new car." However, there is a minority that will stop to think:

Hey, I'm getting $4k off (number derived below), for what's really a new car. It's got negligible miles, and the only "issue" is that it has been titled. Not a problem for me because I am going to keep the car for a long while, and I'd rather take the savings.

These people (myself and Fun2romein included), would pick up the cheaper car.

I was out to dinner with my "Porsche" friends tonight, and I polled them on this issue: two said they would, and two said they wouldn't. That's enough to convince me there are people who would go for this trade.

You claim that that's not the reason the car hasn't sold - that somewhere, someone ought to be willing to buy it to save a couple grand - but there is clear proof that that is not the case, in the fact that the car hasn't sold. That disproves your hypothesis.

Not at all. What is proves is that it is a weak economy, there are barely any '02's moving in general, and that perhaps those interested in the car may not be in close proximity to it, which means additional shipping costs that would negate the potential price savings. Just because it hasn't been done isn't to say that it won't be done. '02's are selling slowly, and the right buyer may be three days away...or three weeks away.

One more (very important) thing: this car has not always been at the But It Now price of $71.5K. In fact -- I can't remember the exact number -- I believe it was somewhere around $75K when it first posted. This changes the whole equation, because at that price the car was not attractively priced relative to brand new NSX's given that dealers were offering them at a commensurate price. Now that it's been reduced to its current But It Now price -- which I believe has just happened on this listing -- the value proposition becomes a lot more compelling. Another reason why generalizing that just because it hasn't sold previously is reason is proof that nobody will go for this now is wrong -- prices were completely different before.

RPM217 bought his car for $74K. This is now being listed for $71.5K. I speculate the seller will let the car go for $70K to an interested buyer, in order to get it off his lot. If you live close by, and you don't have to pay for shipping costs, $4k is a good chunk of change to save -- in my books at least!!

And someone like you, who is willing to get a used car, would be a lot more likely to get one with 5-10K miles and save $5-10K, than to get one with 90 miles and only save $2K.

No -- it all depends on the financial position of a buyer. Somebody who is looking to spend $60 on a car with 10K miles, will not likely spend $70K for a car with 90 miles -- this is too much of a price "trade up." However, it is conceivable that somebody who is willing to spend $74K on his 90 mile car will spend $70K for a titled, 90 mile car.

We have empirical evidence that proves this. You say that you would buy this car, but the fact is, you preferred to save $30K and buy a '95 with a lot more miles.

I would hardly call one data point "empirical." But regardless, the example is flawed, precisely because I did not have disposable income of $70K, and my decision was not, therefore, between buying an '02 or a '95. It was between a '95 and a '95. The only way this comparision would be structurally sound is if I was looking to buy an '02 and decided, instead, that I would pick up a '95 to save a huge chunk of change -- which was certainly not the case for me. Instead of the example that you indicated, I offer you the following perspective which I believe is more relevant: if I had $74K of disposable income with the idea of consummating a deal to buy a new '02 yellow NSX, and I was provided the deal above (and assuming the car had only been titled once), then I would buy the car.

The fellow in NY was willing to pay the price for a brand new NSX identical to this one, and he did, even though he knew that he could have saved a couple grand on this one.

Based on RPM217's thread, I would say that this was more to do with RPM217's excitement about negotiating a fair deal with the dealer, the ability to look the car over in person, that he was positively excited and wanted that "I'm going to drive this car away tonight" feeling -- as well as the fact that he would have had to pay shipping costs. Perhaps the title issued turned him away, perhaps it didn't. Regardless, given the dynamics of the situation, I don't think we can draw conclusive evidence either way. RPM217??

I respect what you've written nsxtasy, but I think that is perhaps one instance where it might be best for us to agree to disagree, since neither party is going to convince the other of their side.

For this reason, this is also the last post that I am writing on this thread. If you wish to have the last word, that is your perogative.

I do hope that you will take this in the spirit in which it was intended, and that there are no hard feelings. After all, I've still got a lot to learn from you.
wink.gif

Regards.

[This message has been edited by NSXaholic (edited 02 February 2003).]

Ahhh, nsxtasy. I go out for a nice dinner and come back to this!! Ouch -- this seems to be getting personal. Let me respond one last time, but before doing so I would like to clarify the following: my purpose of posting to Prime is to learn, educate (when I can) and professionally discuss differences of opinion. I would hope that if such differences of opinion exist -- as seem to be the case now -- that we recognize them as such and leave it at that, rather than calling the other party "argumentative." Although you have expressed your opinion equally forcefully on this thread, I wouldn't label you as argumentative, but merely somebody trying to state what you believe. I would hope you would extend me the same courtesy
wink.gif

Based on RPM217's thread, I would say that this was more to do with RPM217's excitement about negotiating a fair deal with the dealer, the ability to look the car over in person, that he was positively excited and wanted that "I'm going to drive this car away tonight" feeling -- as well as the fact that he would have had to pay shipping costs. Perhaps the title issued turned him away, perhaps it didn't. Regardless, given the dynamics of the situation, I don't think we can draw conclusive evidence either way. RPM217??

I respect what you've written nsxtasy, but I think that is perhaps one instance where it might be best for us to agree to disagree, since neither party is going to convince the other of their side.

For this reason, this is also the last post that I am writing on this thread. If you wish to have the last word, that is your perogative.

I do hope that you will take this in the spirit in which it was intended, and that there are no hard feelings. After all, I've still got a lot to learn from you.
wink.gif

Regards.

This whole thing is getting out of hand between the two of you. Now a few facts. Firstly, the 90 mile car, since it has been previously titled, the warranty has been running since first titled. Secondly, I have the CD player, keyless entry, on my car, this car has neither. Thirdly to ship the car to me in an enclosed carrier is $1,200, and lastly, the jerks never got back to me. Oh, and I leased the car, the terms were just too attractive. Maybe at the end of the lease (36 months), I'll consider buying it (the residual is just under $55,000), or the next generation NSX will be out and I'll opt for that, or another car will be out, and attract my fancy. For now, I'm just enjoying my new car, and hope that the two of you will put your argument to rest!!

Originally posted by RPM217:
This whole thing is getting out of hand between the two of you. Now a few facts. Firstly, the 90 mile car, since it has been previously titled, the warranty has been running since first titled. Secondly, I have the CD player, keyless entry, on my car, this car has neither. Thirdly to ship the car to me in an enclosed carrier is $1,200, and lastly, the jerks never got back to me. Oh, and I leased the car, the terms were just too attractive. Maybe at the end of the lease (36 months), I'll consider buying it (the residual is just under $55,000), or the next generation NSX will be out and I'll opt for that, or another car will be out, and attract my fancy. For now, I'm just enjoying my new car, and hope that the two of you will put your argument to rest!!

Perfect. We now have the story from the source. My point has been simply to state that I would find it highly surprising if the car, at the price it is being listed at now, ends up not selling simple for title issues alone. Given the following facts:

(1) Your car has additional options,
(2) You would have had to pay expensive shipping costs
(3) You got poor service from the eBay seller
(4) You got a great deal on the lease

which are all significant non-title issues, it seems like a no-brainer that you would opt for the car that you did. I would have done the same.

As for the fact that we nsxtasy and myself had a difference of opinion...what's the big deal. I thought we discussed it professionally, and with respect for each other. After all, thats part of the benefit of having a forum like Prime. This changes nothing between us -- I still think he's a great guy.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I know I said the last post was my final post, but I did have to chime in one last time, given that RPM217 provided his thoughts. Case closed.

Regards.

Back