• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

XBox, Ps3 or Wii

XBox, Ps3 or Wii.

Which one of these is the best?

I Hardly ever play games, but like strategy games and saw my neighbor kid playing a game where you drive a car around a city, that I thought was neat.

And, I have 2 girls 6 & 9, that like the typical Barbie/Bratz PC games, and Webkinz.

Any thoughts?

I own both the PS3 and the 360, first off... stay away from the PS3! Hardly any games for it (still :mad: ), and it's not very kid friendly.

For what you're looking for, the 360 and the Wii are a toss up! The Wii is going to have more kid games that you are looking for, but if you're looking to play adventure or driver games, the graphics aren't even going to compare to the 360. Also, the 360 has A LOT more adventure and driving games. There aren't as many kids games yet, but they do have some. I played a Wii once and didn't really care for it. The 360 is here to stay cause it rocks all the way around! :biggrin:

I'll defend PlayStation 3...not just because I work for a Sony-owned development studio.

The PlayStation brand has historically targeted the broadest audience, but as ShiftyBob mentioned, PS3 doesn't have a whole lot of must-have games yet (I'd like to believe Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is one - shameless plug - but it is a teen rated title). Also worth noting: all PS3s can play PSone games and, with the exception of the $399 40GB model, can also play PS2 games...which, technically, gives PS3 access to the largest and most diverse game library.

That said, if you are buying the system primarily for your kids, Nintendo systems are historically hard to beat...and the Wii has the advantage when catering to both kids and non-gaming adults due to its unique control scheme. The Wii also is the least expensive of the three current generation game consoles, so you are probably better off getting the Wii right now. My biggest gripe with the Wii is that it isn't HD...but that doesn't seem to bother the majority of its owners.

Of course, if you really want to save yourself some money, get a PlayStation 2. In addition to their aforementioned library of diverse games, they're small, cheap, and games are still being developed for it (including Guitar Hero III and Rock Band).

Last edited:
I would saw Wii also. IF they were two boys, Xbox 360. I love the Xbox360! It is easily the best console out there from a next gen game standpoint and online community (xbox live). The PS3 might be techically superior, but what good is that when game companies like EA can't or don't take advanatge of it.

That being said, I am buying a PS3 tonight because I want to use it as a BR player and it seems to be a great one. I will still play my my xbox360 though 99% of the time.

I have a PS3 primarily for its BluRay capability.

Gran Turismo and F1 Championship Edition are the only games I play.

I say go for a wii. Although I totally would say get a 360 if you had boys of a older age. The wii doesn't have many great games for "hardcore" gamers but for fun and casual game play which I think is what you are looking for the wii wins hands down. Especially I hear Mario Party, Mario Galaxy are both good games.... should look into those might be what your daughters and yourself will enjoy alot. Man I miss playing Mario :D.

Normally I would say PS3.. but for 2 girls of that age I would say to get the Wii, but it will be hard to find..seems like every place I ask they never have any.

The PS3 might be techically superior, but what good is that when game companies like EA can't or don't take advanatge of it.

I have the game Skate for PS3 and it's made by EA. Great game.. :smile:

The PS3 might be techically superior, but what good is that when game companies like EA can't or don't take advanatge of it.

That is changing as developers get more familiar with PS3's unique hardware...even EA-owned developers like Criterion (i.e. Burnout Paradise) are starting to get a clue and develop first for the PS3 and then port to the Xbox 360. Coding for PS3 just requires a bit more discipline.

Call of Duty 4 plays just as awesomely on the PS3 as on the Xbox 360. The texture resolution is a little less on the PS3 version, but I suspect such limitation could have been overcome with a bit more time on the hardware.

The roles will reverse on which systems have the better versions of multi-platform games. The Wii will look seriously underpowered by next Christmas, but, again, the Wii is not a tech-driven system and will always have a unique space in the market. And, back to the point of this thread, still seems a better fit for young girls. I honestly don't see why anyone would recommend a Xbox to someone looking to buy a game system for young girls.

BTW, my PS3 has primarily functioned as a Blu-ray / upscaling DVD player...I'd say 90% of my first year of usage has been for watching movies. That percentage is now more like 50% now. Of course, a large reason for this is I haven't had the time to play games much over the past year...I was too busy making one!

Last edited:
Back