• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Xbox or PS3?

Guys admittedly, the last time I played a video game it was on an Atari. LOL... I do set these things up all day for clients in their home theaters but I never have been into it.

I am thinking of buying a console now, mainly because of car racing games and I think they can be a good tool for learning the basic "layout" of various tracks I actually go to.

Just not sure which is best for my purpose. Can you gamers give me a recommendation including some of the games? I'm going to Laguna Seca in a week and would like to use it beforehand to learn the track a bit. PLus I just think it would be fun to play when I am stuck in New England winters without my NSX.

Thanks.

Guys admittedly, the last time I played a video game it was on an Atari. LOL... I do set these things up all day for clients in their home theaters but I never have been into it.

I am thinking of buying a console now, mainly because of car racing games and I think they can be a good tool for learning the basic "layout" of various tracks I actually go to.

Just not sure which is best for my purpose. Can you gamers give me a recommendation including some of the games? I'm going to Laguna Seca in a week and would like to use it beforehand to learn the track a bit. PLus I just think it would be fun to play when I am stuck in New England winters without my NSX.

Thanks.

I believe the PS3 has the best Auto racing game out currently. The GT series are excellent games. I almost bought a PS3 for strictly for the new GT game. I feel Xbox Live is better then the free online you get with PS3. Most people I know play online threw the Xbox.

But I prefer the online multiplayer games over any racing game. They just get boring to me after you unlock everything. That why I Have an Xbox.

I have Forza 2 with a full racing wheel set up and I use my Stock NSX seat, it's a lot of fun when you have a bunch of people over. We call it "drinking n driving" LOL

Last edited:
I just went through this too about a month ago. Never been into video games myself, but we have two girls ages 6 and 3, so they're kinda ready to begin playing these things.

Ended up sinking a good $750 into the 250GB XBOX with Kinect, controllers, and a few video games (Forza included of course). The family doesn't play it (like an hour a week if that), so it was a waste in our case. I do have to say the Kinect "Dance Revolution" is entertaining when you have company over.

My $0.02 is to skip it and just watch some good videos of real cars on the tracks you're interested in to learn the lines, braking points, etc. Forza isn't very realistic IMO. I can't see how sinking more money into a nice wheel and seat will help you on a real track. Now a "real" simulator may, but that's a lot more $$.

Dave

I like the PS3 better,but the XBOX has more games.

PS3/XBOX 360 I would recommend buying at Costco. It's cheaper overall and you can return it if you don't like it, or if there are any issues. This also applies to any games. Can't beat that policy. Anywhere else, it's yours after you open it with no warranty.

Last edited:
I Have both. I use the ps3 for blue ray mainly. I have gt5 bit I have only played it a couples times.

99% of my gaming is on xbox. I like Forza 3 much more than gt5. The xbox is far better for anything online. I am currently playing test drive unlimited2. It's a lot of fun but not realistic inthe least.

"Blu-Ray", not "Blue" Ray and not "Blue tooth"!! LOL... you guys are funny. Dave really you like Forza better than GT5? It sounds like Xbox is the better unit. FWIW most of the people I set these up for in theaters seem to use Xbox a lot more often... just IME...

"Blu-Ray", not "Blue" Ray and not "Blue tooth"!! LOL... you guys are funny. Dave really you like Forza better than GT5? It sounds like Xbox is the better unit. FWIW most of the people I set these up for in theaters seem to use Xbox a lot more often... just IME...

The xbox is a lot more fun IMO and certainly much better online. If you want toget a wheel though the options are few on xbox.

I really like my fanatec wheel but it isn't cheap. If xbox could play Blu ray I wouldnt have a ps3.

PS3 hands down.

Traded my 360 in for PS3.

IMO
Firstly - Blu-Ray
Secondly - Almost everything that you have to pay for extra to add on the 360, comes WITH the PS3, ie. Online play, Wireless adapter, rechargeable battery etc...

"To sum up, both the Xbox 360, as well as the PS3 have their own pros and cons. Xbox 360 does have a slight edge, in this case, as price might end up being a major deterrent in terms of the PS3. While it is very difficult to choose which is better, the PS3 or Xbox 360, hardcore gamers will prefer the Xbox 360, while people looking for an all round entertainment device might be happier with the PS3."

PS
Although, FORZA was more entertaining for me thatn GT5. =(
I enjoyed the whole "suping" up the car thingy.

hardcore gamers will prefer the Xbox 360, while people looking for an all round entertainment device might be happier with the PS3."

And there it is. The PS3 is for those who place more emphasis on a media device; the XBOX 360 is for gamers. As a gamer, I look at the PS3 with disdain.

It depends on the game for me. Last time I bought nintendo cube just to play resident evil 1 and zero. Then I bought xbox for gears of war. If it was nt for the red ring of death, I would have stayed with it. Now I own a ps3 and no problem so far.

I have both. I like both for different reasons. IMHO you can go wrong with either. I have a 360 and a 360 slim. The 360 slim is a better design than the reg 360 , plus if you have u-verse it doubles as a stb(cable box) . Less clutter and it streams videos, music and pics because its a media player extender. Love the joystick for driving games, wish they joystick charged instead of the aa batteries!!!!!

I bought the ps3 for blu-ray and games. For some reason the graphics seem to look better on the PS3, maybe because its blu-ray. I like the ps3 joysticks for fps games and madden. I like the bluetooth remote and the joysticks seem to never get low on juice, no batteries either. Plug it into the console to charge, unlike the xbox 360.

The slim versions of each game console are nice. They do lots of the same things, but the PS3 is the better machine, technically. I'll always have both.:eek:

Last edited:
I have both, but have two PS3s largely due to their media capabilties (wanted Blu-ray players on my two main TVs and it made more sense to buy a PS3 than a dedicated Blu-ray player, especially when I bought them).

Without question, my PS3 systems have been powered on far more than any game system I have ever owned...largely due to the media capabilities. I use them for Blu-ray, DVD, Netflix streaming, DLNA streaming from a centralized server for video and photo sharing, etc. I'm also happy to report that one is a first generation PS3, the other is a second generation (i.e. not a Slim). Both are still running strong, despite being on a good percentage of the day. Heck, I used to leave my first generation one on 24-7 for Folding@Home.

99% of my gaming is on PS3. I'm a huge fan of the Gran Turismo series and, for the past few months, most of my gaming time has been spent playing GT5 (last week, one PS3 was on 24-7 from Wednesday through Sunday night...primarily for B-Spec and Remote Racing, but also for some A-Spec events). I value the fact that I can use the Logitech wheels I own with the PS2 (bought the Driving Force Pro for the PS2 and was glad it still worked with PS3 and the GT games), PS3, and PC. The other game I've been playing a lot lately is LittleBigPlanet 2. I don't even think my Xbox 360 is plugged in. I barely play games online, so I can't justify paying Microsoft's monthly subscription fee to do so. I have used my PS3 to play multiplayer games, so I value that they do offer such service free...and will play GT5 online one of these days.

Sony continues to offer a broader range of games of the type I prefer to play...and, IMHO, it still has the better exclusives (this being an exceptionally good year for them too). I consider Xbox 360 largely a hardcore gamer's console. It does bug me that a majority of the non-exclusive games are technically better on the Xbox 360 because I prefer the layout of the PS3 Dual Shock controller. Could care less about Move or Kinect.

1119393338_5A4DM-L.jpg

Last edited:
GT5 on PS3 is a great way to familiarize yourself with Laguna Seca. Get a nice wheel - I like my old (er) Logitech G25 wheel. The newer G27 differs in that the shifter won't shift sequentially, only paddles and H pattern.

But definately get a nice wheel/ pedal combo regardless and you will enjoy it much more. You'll be set for a nasty NE winter, it's easy to disappear into GT5 for several hours at a time. Ask my wife.

I have an XBOX and a PS3 and I like GT5 better than Forza 3. My .02.

Most of the games found on both consoles are better (graphically) on the 360 because it is easier to program for (and many games are ported over to the PS3 after main development on the 360). However games that are exclusive for the PS3 are better than the top 360 games.

Quick points
Dashboard on-line interface on the 360 - awesome; on the PS3 - terrible, hard to navigate -- just awful.

Racing game -- GT5 is better than anything on the 360; plus the ability to use the greatest (that you can buy in america) steering wheels (Logitech). Why -- you can "feel" the car getting light in GT5 you don't get that from Forza 3.

Most of the exclusives for the 360 are now on the PS3. The great PS3 exclusives - God of War 3; Uncharted 1&2; Infamous 1&2; Racket and Clank etc will never come to the 360 -- these are game of the year type titles and FUN.

Online - the 360 by a mile; however, unless you have time to play like some kid, teenager or loser its a waste. Those online freaks will rape you at games and it pretty much no fun since some play online 15-20 hours a day.

Blu-ray nuff said.

PS3 has Hulu now and the streaming capabilities are faster via the PS3 vs the 360. The 360 media center extender or whatever is slow and a joke --- mine just kept crashing. PlayOn with PS3 is awesome. Netflix slightly better on PS3.

I used to be a die hard 360 guy. Most of my games are 360 but now the PS3 is finally catching up with the games (plus the great exclusives). Since the PS3 is more powerful, I feel some of the best games are still on the horizon -- Microsoft will abandon the 360 well before Sony brings out their next console.

The choice is obvious get the PS3.

One more thing very important ------ I'm on my 5th 360 --- the elite. 3 died on me and the other two I traded for better models. If I didn't have so many 360 games (and old Xbox games -- Jade Empire) I would have just said fuck it after I got my PS3. End rant.

I like the MarioKart at Chuck E. Cheese

(I'm highjacking your thread because I'm pissed you don't answer my calls anymore ! )

Most of the games found on both consoles are better (graphically) on the 360 because it is easier to program for (and many games are ported over to the PS3 after main development on the 360). However games that are exclusive for the PS3 are better than the top 360 games.

Quick points
Dashboard on-line interface on the 360 - awesome; on the PS3 - terrible, hard to navigate -- just awful.

Racing game -- GT5 is better than anything on the 360; plus the ability to use the greatest (that you can buy in america) steering wheels (Logitech). Why -- you can "feel" the car getting light in GT5 you don't get that from Forza 3.

Most of the exclusives for the 360 are now on the PS3. The great PS3 exclusives - God of War 3; Uncharted 1&2; Infamous 1&2; Racket and Clank etc will never come to the 360 -- these are game of the year type titles and FUN.

Online - the 360 by a mile; however, unless you have time to play like some kid, teenager or loser its a waste. Those online freaks will rape you at games and it pretty much no fun since some play online 15-20 hours a day.

Blu-ray nuff said.

PS3 has Hulu now and the streaming capabilities are faster via the PS3 vs the 360. The 360 media center extender or whatever is slow and a joke --- mine just kept crashing. PlayOn with PS3 is awesome. Netflix slightly better on PS3.

I used to be a die hard 360 guy. Most of my games are 360 but now the PS3 is finally catching up with the games (plus the great exclusives). Since the PS3 is more powerful, I feel some of the best games are still on the horizon -- Microsoft will abandon the 360 well before Sony brings out their next console.

The choice is obvious get the PS3.

One more thing very important ------ I'm on my 5th 360 --- the elite. 3 died on me and the other two I traded for better models. If I didn't have so many 360 games (and old Xbox games -- Jade Empire) I would have just said fuck it after I got my PS3. End rant.
Took the words right out of my mouth on most of the points. PS3>XBOX360

Last edited:
Racing game -- GT5 is better than anything on the 360; plus the ability to use the greatest (that you can buy in america) steering wheels (Logitech). Why -- you can "feel" the car getting light in GT5 you don't get that from Forza 3..

My Fanatec wheel is better than any logtitech wheel IMO and I can use it with the xbox, pc and ps3. It is amazing in Forza3 -- so you are wrong on that one.

I think the new xbox slim is much more reliable than the previous models. I am personally on my 3rd xbox. Never once had a problem with the PS3, but it also had 1/10th the hours on it.

I think Dave most likely has a pretty good BR player being in the AV field.. but I could be wrong.

My Fanatec wheel is better than any logtitech wheel IMO and I can use it with the xbox, pc and ps3. It is amazing in Forza3 -- so you are wrong on that one.

I think the new xbox slim is much more reliable than the previous models. I am personally on my 3rd xbox. Never once had a problem with the PS3, but it also had 1/10th the hours on it.

I think Dave most likely has a pretty good BR player being in the AV field.. but I could be wrong.

I agree about the Fanatec wheel but most people are not going to buy that wheel. If they have a PS3 its going to be (one of the many) Logitech and if its a 360 the Microsoft one. And the Logitech ones are much much better than the Microsoft one.

Don't forget about that new Thrustmaster wheel...the T500 RS. Fully supported by GT5 and only works with PS3 and PC.

Anyone try Kinect?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/REnYXw-Fbq4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have kinect. I used it once or twice, but it doesn't work for Forza 3 I think think. That is a special version for that demo.

BUt it would be cool to be able to turn my head while driving with my wheel to look around me...

Last edited:
BUt it would be cool to be able to turn my head while driving with my wheel to look around me...

I was very disappointed to learn that GT5 didn't fully implement this with the PlayStation Eye. I was totally looking forward to the feature, but, apparently, Polyphony Digital could only find the memory and performance to do it in arcade mode. I have no idea if it even works the way I had hoped it would because I never play arcade mode.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/edXRmj4mpvI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Well since we are talking about racing games for xbox and Playstation this leaked video is kind of relevant.

Forza 4 In-game photage and feature trailer. Just came out today.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CaoyuDBmJ1o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back