WTB: 91-94 Manual, Red or White, Australia

Just wanted to finally say HI! I've been lurking on Prime for around 18 months and am now looking for a 91-94 Red or White Manual, as the thread title suggests! I'm in Melbourne but am willing to travel for the right car.

A little about me - I'm 24, own a couple of small online retailing businesses that I started whilst studying, live in Melbourne, am into aviation, travel, nature and IT - and of course cars. I've loved the NSX ever since playing the Need For Speed video game in 1995 at the tender age of 13, and currently drive a 97 MR2, which I plan on keeping as a daily driver - fortunately my better half has more "practical" car so this may just work!

If any Prime members would be willing to look over a prospect with me before I pull the trigger it would be really appreciated, as despite the fantastic pre-purchase PDF in the FAQ, a NSX owner is going to be familar with how everything should look/sound/feel.

I've been watching NSXs come and (eventually) go on the various car sales websites for a year or so, but for sale ads and reality are sometimes just a bit different - any advice/experiences relating to the Australian market not covered in the previous threads would be great too.

Lastly, I get the impression that Robert Lane Honda are the local NSX experts - does anyone have good experiences elsewhere?

WELCOME FELLOW MELBOURNITE! :D

You've posted in the right place, as there are a few of us Aussies who will no doubt be happy to give you some free advice. Lately 91-94 NSX's have been selling for roughly $40k-$60k. The $40k's have been rare and needed some love and attention.

OzzieJohn said:
Lastly, I get the impression that Robert Lane Honda are the local NSX experts

ROFL ROFL ROFL.... there's a good story behind that, which i won't share here in public. They are a good starting point. :)

Neo! I had a feeling you might be the first to reply... lurking is like reality TV, I feel like I know you already!! :biggrin:

Thanks for replying - yes there does seem to be a big price range out there. I'm not sure if the Red 91 at a Tassie dealer sold for $70k, but it doesn't seem to be advertised any more, nor the Red 94 "NSX-R" in Melbourne that was advertised for mid-70s. I've my heart set on a manual (which seem to be much rarer in Oz than in the US?) and cars that need thousands spent on them right from the start worry me about what else might lurk beneath the surface.

In any event I've been a busy boy and it looks like I will soon be the proud owner of the bright green NA1 NSX with what appears to be a genuine ~27,000km that was advertised awhile back before the owner went overseas. Obviously the colour isn't my first (or second) choice, but the overall condition is basically immaculate, and well the colour has an ability to grow on you if you have an open mind :)

It's a grey import, a personal import into Oz a few years ago by the director of a dealer/importer business who has owned it since. As such - it doesn't have a history of any kind from it's Japanese days - therefore - I spent ~3 hours yesterday and 2 hours today at the dealer going over it, and figure that if it weren't for the custom paint job and enough other modifications that everyone will find at least something they don't agree with, it would be commanding a far higher price than what we have agreed. The interior has recently been fully re-trimmed (most of which I like, some of which I'll change) it has a very neat and mean looking custom 4-outlet exhaust, HKS adjustable suspension, 17/18 BBS rims (which I may just get repainted!), Kenwood touch screen DVD/Sat Nav unit, and a genunie Marga Hills body kit with very good fitment.

As for the mechanics, it appears to have been loved and babied, the engine bay is basically stock except for a K&N dry cone intake. The Buyer's Checklist PDF has been extremely helpful and shows that you're right, Prime was the place to come - although the FAQ is very US/Acura-centric, as should be expected.

Test drive, roadworthiness certificate, re-registration and fixing of a couple of minor quibbles are all still to come... basically I have paid a deposit and struck a deal with them subject to those things proceeding smoothly. I'll let you know how it goes, and look forward to meeting the Aussie Prime contingent, providing I can keep up! :wink:

Glad i didn't disappoint. :D I dont know where all the other aussies are... they seem to magically appear when there's a thread with girly photos, then magically disappear. Plus AU_NSX is in Dubai racing enzo's and carrera gt's, so that explains why he's busy. ;)

Future Congrats on your purchase. That car has floated on the market before as discussed in this thread:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54332&highlight=green+australia

I'm glad it's going to find a new home... :) As for the colour; let's all be honest but keep it nice. :) ...lime green isn't my cup of tea, but then again i love outrageous green lambos. :cool: I've just learned to respect anyone's taste coz afterall who cares about my opinion if you love it. I look forward to seeing what modifications you make to it.

I hope we have a chance to meet up sometime. Hopefully dippy will be available when he gets his baby back, then we can have a meeting of the Aussie BLING KING NSX's. :D :D :D

now where are the other aussies? guys? hello?

OzzieJohn, congratulations. Nice to know more local NSX owners can be contacted on/thru Prime.

...then we can have a meeting of the Aussie BLING KING NSX's...

Hehe. Neo, are you in the market for an NSX soon? You are probably the most active non-owner on this forum. I'm sure everyone on the forum would like to see you cross the line of fanatic/advocate to owner.

Danny

PS: Sorry to hijack the topic!

Hi just wanted to give my assistance. That green car with the marga hill kit is very nice. Fully decked out with mum and dads money.

However if you are willing to spend 80K there's a black one in WA that i am strongly thinking of purchasing.

Widebody with a twin turbo conversion pulling 380Kw @ the wheels. Or as it says in the ad in Unique Cars. Be happy to come a hunting with you especially since my car is coming back tomorrow.

How much are you willing to spend. There was another red one in Unique Cars but normally they go to Sydney people LOL.

Re: Lime green NSX, Australia

Hi Dippy! When I was talking about "if I can keep up with the Melbournites" - I meant YOU!! :eek:

Thank you very much for your offer to come hunting with me! If the lime green NSX falls through, it would be fantastic to have your knowledge with me for the next one. However I took a test drive in it yesterday and was really impressed. I'm gonna save my raving for when I can take a nice long drive, but it's really nice when something you've looked forward to for so long actually turns out to be even better than you'd hoped!

I've seen the turbo NSX in WA advertised online. It's all yours - basically because:

1) Lightly modded NSX is plenty fast enough for me (famous last words???)
2) Turbo NSX where the power is used reguarly is likely to have a shorter lifespan (or need more $$ spent on upkeep at least) than a non-turbo that's been mostly babied. In My Humble Opinion, feel free to correct me :)
3) NSX replaces the MR2 as our "holiday car". Sometimes 98/100 octane fuel isn't available in the places we end up, and this also makes reliability very important.
4) $20,000 more, and more km on the clock. You'd have to be specifically after a turbo/sc.
5) $20,000 pretty much buys me a CTSC if I see your car(s) and you get me on the go-fast crack pipe :)

Which brings me to - are you really going to have *two* FI NSXs Dippy?? Does this mean you could rent one to Neo? :) Looking forward to meeting you both.

HI Johnny

RFOL, very funny no just one FI is enough, still saving up for that carrera GT:wink: BTW my bike is all the speed crack i need.

No probs man any assistance to the NSX community would be a pleasure. Dont get me wrong that green one looks and sounds very nice for the advertised price so $60 would be even sweet. Very low kms too so should be a no brainer. Glad to see you joining the rice boys, loved the look of the marga hills. When you pick it up remember to give me a buzz to go for a spin.

Neo rents my other NSX all the time i think my ass is getting red with all the kissing:biggrin: :biggrin:

ROFL... let me pry my lips from Dippy's red monkey bum for just a minute to reply. :D

ozzieJohn said:
1) Lightly modded NSX is plenty fast enough for me (famous last words???)

rofl rofl rofl... that's a seriously funny joke. ;) That's like a modder saying "ok, thats my last mod".

But truthfully, a stock NSX is more than fast enough for street conditions. Just be think twice before dragging WRX's, EVO's, etc. at the lights.

ozzieJohn said:
2) Turbo NSX where the power is used reguarly is likely to have a shorter lifespan (or need more $$ spent on upkeep at least) than a non-turbo that's been mostly babied. In My Humble Opinion, feel free to correct me

This is the rule of thumb that i've learned too. Turbo = short engine life + high maintenance. The NSX engine is probably an exception to the rule. It's not really pushed to the max of its capability. (For example, SOS offers engine modifications which bore it out to 3.8L, which combined with other tweaks give substantially more HP while remaining NA -- a testament to how solid & conservative Honda have built this engine)

Plus the use of Titanium rods means the NSX engine NEVER wears out... just like timing belts. :rolleyes: ok, i'm kidding slightly. :D But you're right about increased maintenance on the Turbo... that's unavoidable, but if power is important its a small price to pay.

But i do not pretend to be an expert in this matter... so anyone reading this; feel free to correct me if my info is wrong.

ozzieJohn said:
3) NSX replaces the MR2 as our "holiday car". Sometimes 98/100 octane fuel isn't available in the places we end up, and this also makes reliability very important.

Hehe... you can use non-premuim fuel in an NSX. :eek: ...but dont tell anyone i told you that, or ever admit to doing it yourself. :p

ozzieJohn said:
4) $20,000 more, and more km on the clock. You'd have to be specifically after a turbo/sc.

Good point.

It's my own opinion that Turbo/SC kits are for people who either want 1) to impress on the showroom floor [ie. dippy :D ], or 2) love their NSX and dont want to upgrade but long for more power [again, ie. dippy :D ]. And since we don't live in Arizona and can't get the SOS NA engine mods these are our only realistic options -- or u could just get a Gallardo! :cool:

Anyway i have to get back to kissing dippy's rear exhaust. :tongue:

Neo we seem to think alike... but you say we can't get the SOS stuff? Are their go-fast kits installed only by them? And Dippy yep I'll give you a call but I wanna keep my license :)

I had to go to Moorabbin today and stopped on the way at Robert Lane Honda to scope it out and ask them about an electrical "curiosity" with the car I'm buying. Nobody there had any idea. They couldn't look up part numbers without a Honda VIN number. I haven't committed a sample Honda VIN to memory, and they couldn't manage to find one. So as yet I'm not impressed, but the guy who knows NSXs wasn't there at the time and is calling back so I'll reserve judgement. BUT - it's not close to where I am now, nor where I'll soon be moving. However from searching the forum someone said that Robert Lane are the ONLY place to get NSX parts in Melbourne... can you guys confirm/clarify?

Also - Dippy and anyone else in Melbourne, please can you let me know where you take your NSX for work you don't do yourself?

As I was heading out I saw a red/black NSX heading in the opposite direction, towards the dealer that has the NSX I'm buying. Speaking to the dealer re: roadworthy certificate later today, they had a visit shortly after from a gent driving a red/black NSX, interested in the one I'm buying. Considering I've seen 3 NSXs on the road in the last year, it's a small worldl!

Last edited:
OzzieJohn,

I saw from your signature that you end up bought the Lime Green NSX, is that the one that their advertise in Car point ? do you mind I ask whether the NSX is Australian delivery or not ? coz seems like the price is really good....

congratulation and enjoy the GOR with your new ride

cheers

---laski

OzzieJohn said:
Hi Laski, yes it's the green one on Carpoint. Grey import.

Checked your profile, love your car! Gotta see that hood one day.

John

John,

grey import ...... yeah thats what I tought too coz the price is very good, so has the car in your garage yet ? r u going to do more mods on the car ? if u ever thinking of 18" n 19" TE37 in mercury silver pls let me know, my friend has got a brand new sets, anyway nice talking to u .........

cheers

---laski

Ozzie yes to confirm Robert Lane is the only OFFICIAL place you can get any NSX part for no matter who deals with it. But they are crap to dfeal with and end up adding a few things to the bill as they do.

I get my car specially service by a ex Honda and Porsche head technician who runs the lotus garage now in Richmond. He knows the NSX back to front and is reasonable in price.

The red car wasnt heading for the yard, it was heading towards the Hume hwy towards Sydney.:biggrin: :biggrin:

When you picking up the car. License what is that??????? Neo you might have to show this guy the uncut GOR cruise with Nico:wink:

Long post alert...

dippy9 said:
Ozzie yes to confirm Robert Lane is the only OFFICIAL place you can get any NSX part for no matter who deals with it. But they are crap to deal with and end up adding a few things to the bill as they do.

:eek: :eek: Thanks for the heads-up!

dippy9 said:
I get my car specially service by a ex Honda and Porsche head technician who runs the lotus garage now in Richmond. He knows the NSX back to front and is reasonable in price.

Sounds good to me! I'm not familiar with Richmond - is this the Lotus dealer on Church St ( http://www.lotuscars.com.au/dealer2.htm ) or somewhere different? How does it work - do you have to purchase parts from Robert Lane over the counter, and take them to Richmond, or is the Lotus place able to get hold of NSX parts in an unofficial way??

dippy9 said:
When you picking up the car.

Hopefully in the next 2-3 days. I'm told it's now been issued with a roadworthy certificate and been registered in my name, with GS-D3s put on the back for me (they're bending over backwards). Now just waiting for the DVD system remote control and the engine bay cover (I'm picky) and then it should be good to go :biggrin:

NSXsan said:
r u going to do more mods on the car ? if u ever thinking of 18" n 19" TE37 in mercury silver pls let me know

Yeah I've got a little list of mods. I've seen a couple of people on Prime post pics of the 02+ lights with the Marga Hills kit that's on the car I'm buying, and I think it looks very nice in red like that. But to me the NSX has popup headlights, that's what I think of when I think of the car, so I gotta think about it some more. As for the rims - I'm not sure about the gold, but I think the 18" 265 rears are big enough and expensive enough :wink:

No all shops can get access to NSX parts but only through Robert Lane and not Honda itself which is where the official status gets involved. Technically its abbotsford just off Victoria street next to the Ferrari service technicians.

Geeeee does that mean we are going on a cruise on the weekend:wink: :wink:

Dont listen to Laski and those sydney boys they have a nasty case of the mod bug cant stop spending them lot up there. Cause spending money on their cars is cheaper than driving around with those bloody tolls.:biggrin:

dippy9 said:
Dont listen to Laski and those sydney boys they have a nasty case of the mod bug cant stop spending them lot up there. Cause spending money on their cars is cheaper than driving around with those bloody tolls.:biggrin:

Well I can say that I've never driven around Sydney with trolls in my car... :tongue:

There's a certain standard one must uphold as part of the responsibility of NSX ownership... :wink:

Thanks Dippy for the info on the workshop - I expect I'll be stopping by there soon, although hopefully of my own free will!

Got a call late today, could just be picking up the car tomorrow - I'll let you know! Sunday's probably good for me if you want to meet up/cruise.

Awww go easy on the Sydney boys and their mods! It's probably the only way they can tell all their red NSXs apart! :biggrin:

Maybe I can't talk... aren't trolls green??

dippy9 said:
Neo you might have to show this guy the uncut GOR cruise with Nico:wink:

;) Uncut and uncensored... the swearing that is. :p

From the DVD: Dippy commenting on Nico's NSX: "F*****g nice mate. Does my car look that good?" :D

OzzieJohn said:
Awww go easy on the Sydney boys and their mods! It's probably the only way they can tell all their red NSXs apart!

ROFL. :D Another way of spotting the differences in Sydney: Nico has a red roof, the other red's have a black roof. :D

Re/ Your car.... HURRAH! All the best picking up the car tomorrow (or whenever). If you guys decide to cruise on Sunday, I can make it too... in my grandma's car. :p

-Mike

Picked the car up today! Only been for a 15 min drive to celebrate successful attachment of front number plate using angle brackets from Bunnings... err do I get kicked off Prime for using hardware store parts on a NSX? It's a clean job honestly :)

Going for a nice country drive tomorrow afternoon. Will try not to get myself locked up. I won't bore anyone with "initial impressions" as it's all been said... I'll simply say that it's a nice surprise when things you've looked forward to for years actually turn out to be as good as you expected. You know the thing about not living out childhood dreams because they'll never be a good as you imagined... well maybe some of them are worth it after all!

Assuming I don't get locked up, it sounds like I might meet you Sunday Neo! You up for it Dippy?

Last edited:
OzzieJohn said:
do I get kicked off Prime for using hardware store parts on a NSX? It's a clean job honestly :)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Enjoy the country drive tomorrow. And please post initial impressions because I dont think anyone gets tired reading them (we all read it and remember the first time we drove an NSX).

I have cleared my Sunday... just depends on the DIPSTER now! :D :D I Look forward to meeting you soon John.

OzzieJohn said:
Picked the car up today! Only been for a 15 min drive to celebrate successful attachment of front number plate using angle brackets from Bunnings... err do I get kicked off Prime for using hardware store parts on a NSX?

It really depends on what grade aluminium you used... Unless of course you used steel brackets from a hardware store :eek: :eek: :eek:

Secondly, how was the dealer able to get the car registered without the front plates on? Surely they would have had to fix that before you took delivery?

Congratulations! It sounds like you are going to enjoy it anyway!

OzzieJohn said:
Going for a nice country drive tomorrow afternoon.

John, you have fun tomorrow !!!

please make sure the number plate will stay on when you get home :biggrin:

I hope we can meet up one day and have a cruise together ........

Congratulations John

Hmmmmm a cruise with the boys or a day watching the mighy Roo boys hammer the lions???? What time is the meet up boys you can count me in anytime. Looking forward to meeting up with you John. Give me a buzz on the mobile.

Have fun on that drive. Try the second gear out, i think Neo likes it the best:biggrin: :biggrin:

NSXsan said:
I hope we can meet up one day and have a cruise together ........

Sounds good to me. Royal National Park? :) I'd love to drive through there without all the tourists & cyclists. But it's a lovely drive regardless. Next time I'm staying in Sydney - which seems to be 1-2 times a year - hopefully I can meet you and some of the other Sydneysiders.

AU_NSX said:
It really depends on what grade aluminium you used... Unless of course you used steel brackets from a hardware store

Hey you weren't kidding about the certain standards were you :eek: So for the record, they're actually titanium.... you'll find them in Aisle 9 at Bunnings, with all the other space-age material angle brackets :biggrin:

AU_NSX said:
Secondly, how was the dealer able to get the car registered without the front plates on? Surely they would have had to fix that before you took delivery?

Good question. No idea. Maybe he used double-sided sticky tape or something? I'd asked them not to put any holes in the bumper. Also you may be interested to know that my "94" fortunately appears to have been entirely manufactured prior to the snap-ring production issue, you understand? Unfortunately for a buyer, the market value is set by the mileage and condition, but the insurance company feels that a 94 requires a higher premium than say a 92 :)

NeoNSX said:
And please post initial impressions because I dont think anyone gets tired reading them (we all read it and remember the first time we drove an NSX).

Alright you don't have to work hard to get a car nut to blab on about his new car - here goes and bomb out here if you don't need to hear a newbie's blithering rubbish for the 100th time.

My other car is a 97 MR2 Bathurst (130kw n/a version). After spending some time in the NSX, I think I love both cars more. The MR2 has over 150,000km on the clock whereas the NSX has 27,000.

With this in mind, my initial thoughts on driving the NSX are:

• Everyone says their car's got comfortable seats. But you guys are for real! I'm giving serious thought about ordering another one to convert into an office chair! :)
  • For me, the driving position is excellent. In the MR2 I use some leather gloves as elbow cushions. Other cars I can't get very comfortable in. No such distractions in the NSX, it's just right.
  • As advertised, the gearshift is extremely precise and the clutch is very light, very smooth and progressive. Combined with the above, makes this "supercar" easier to drive smoothly than our New Beetle, which seems to be especially designed for people who have trouble with such things.
  • Due to the shape of the NSX bonnet with the sides higher than the middle, I can see the sides. Maybe this is a big help when parking, but in the MR2 I cannot see the bonnet at all which gives a special magic carpet feeling of there being nothing between you and the road.
  • The noises from behind created by pressing on the right pedal are highly addictive. I've got a K&N cone filter, and what I believe is a Fujitsubo 4-outlet exhaust. Some people buy an M3 for this type of sound... with the NSX, it's just a bonus? :smile:
  • Unfortunately I absolutely need to keep my driver's license - I'd have big problems running my business without it. My initial impression is that MR2 can be "enjoyed" on empty roads to a far greater extent than the NSX, where I feel I'll have to hold back, resist, be cautious and let off the accelerator a lot more. Even holding back, the NSX is covering ground quicker, but it just feels like flying a fighter jet slowly or riding a bicycle at a walking pace - you know what I mean - holding back isn't as much fun as letting loose. And you're probably thinking "So take it to a track you stupid rambling idiot". And you might be right :)
  • Build quality in the NSX is better than anything I've experienced in my short & humble life. On a bumpy road, not a squeak or a rattle inside whatsoever (not after I was finished with the WD40 and the dashboard, anyway).
  • Driving past the airport, a vehicle 2 cars back was honking the horn, flashing his lights, driving off to the side of the road etc. I turned shortly after and he slowed down next to me (this is where I'm wondering what I did to bring about a drive-by shooting) and gave the car a big thumbs up. This stuff is going to take some getting used to!
  • Last impression - after I drive other cars, I don't feel like I have to tell the world about it. Therefore I don't get told "You said you'd cook dinner! That was 45 minutes ago!". So I'm off to cook and read Whipped Magazine and Dippy, Neo and anyone else who can make it (Dippy has the details) I'll see you on Sunday.

Thank you all for your welcoming attitude and help in my time of sleepless nights. But I still can't bloody sleep, when does it wear off?!

Back