Wow! a Honda Factory Turbo!!!

Unfortunately, it's not for the NSX, or even the street. But it is interesting! The new "Aquatrax" R12X has the following turbo engine from the factory:

aquatrax_motor.jpg

The specs are 1235cc, 165 HP; inline intercooled turbo 4 cycle 4 cylinder; 11:1 compression ratio.

A quick comparison to the 3.0 NSX motor shows it making ~61% of the horsepower with 2 less cylinders and ~41% of the displacement.

Compared to the 3.2 NSX motor it makes ~56% of the HP with 2 less cylinders and ~38% of the displacement.

A Turbo 3.2 with the same hp\litre output as the R12X (133HP\Litre) would create 427HP at the crank, which is ballpark for what a well tuned moderately boosted intercooled 3 or 3.2 should be capable of.

I guess where I'm going with this is that it doesn't seem that outlandish to squeeze 400+ out of a stock bottom NSX motor of either size. It also makes me feel better to be boosting with stock pistons at 10.2:1 if Honda is boosting 11:1 from the factory. Of course the watercraft has an engine designed for a turbo, but I doubt its got titanium rods etc. However, its not designed to go a quarter million miles either.

It's nice to know that Honda believes in the technology of Turbocharging enough to incorporate it into any production vehicle. Now, wouldn't it be nice if they put them in the 2004 NSX!?

PS-Imagine how kool it would be to have an endless supply of 65 degree water for you intercooler while you race around on the R12X!

Here's what the vehicle looks like:

r12xl.jpg

Its about $10K

Black&Tan97Tnewportbeach said:
A Turbo 3.2 with the same hp\litre output as the R12X (133HP\Litre) would create 427HP at the crank, which is ballpark for what a well tuned moderately boosted intercooled 3 or 3.2 should be capable of.

Interesting comparison, but to expect power gains to simply multiply by any factor of displacement or pistons is somewhat unrealisitic.

An 8 cylinder motor with 4 liters of displacement will have more frictional and inertial losses than two separate 2 Liter 4 cylinder motors all else being equal.

I think there have been a few experiemnts where people have connected the cranks of two motors together and ended up with about 1.5x the power of a single engine as opposed to 2x as one would predict...

Either way, nice motor.

Actually there is a mistake in my post above, the original spec sheet I read quoted the compression ration as 11:1, but on the honda website it says the turbo is 8.5:1 and the NA motor is 11:1

A bit off the current subject, but the G1 Legend in Japan also had a factory Trubo option. It was a 2.0 V6 primerily developed for emmisions and ecconomy though, not performance.

Yes!! The Honda city Turbo (1984 I believe) was the first Honda to have a factory turbo, nick named the bulldog. Shigeru Uehara designed the Honda city, first gen CRX, and helped develop the NSX!

Attachments

• city turbo.jpg
    city turbo.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 163
Back