Would a 1999 white NSX w/ 55k miles be a good deal?

I already have plenty of cars in my stable with a soon to be arriving 2008 GT3 P-car but I saw a car over the weekend that I'm very tempted to get..... :)

Always loved NSX's and I actually like the older body style models (96+ NSX-T) instead of the newer 02+ headlights.

Anyways this one is a great looking example with no electrical or crazy body mods on it so for the most part stock. Has some Comptech goodies such as springs, exhaust and headers but interior is fully stock.

Just under 54k miles and the front tires are brand new, rears are totally shot and will need new ones immediately.

I know the NSX is an 15 year old platform but the shape and design of the car is still a show stopper no matter where you go.

A quick background on why I want the NSX even though I already have so many impractical 2 door cars.....but I wanted a low maintenance exotic to cruise around on weekends when my s2000 just doesn't fit the bill. My past exotic just didn't work out as I had planned since it spent more time in my garage than the insurance + car payments were worth. I ended up putting a total of 900 miles on it in 8 months and ended up selling it. Guess I'm not in the minority who can just throw money at an exotic car....(as my friend put it, I'm not "there" yet...)

I made the white NSX owner an offer and I think he will take it but he wants a few weeks to sit on it and see if anything else turns up so the ball is in his court.

He's asking $45k.....do you guys think that is a fair price?

Would appreciate your comments as I know you guys all share my passion for this NSX chassis!

regards,
rick

Rick,

That sounds like a fair price if you don't need to do any maintenance work on it. I just bought a 97 with 60k miles and had to do the 60k service which was $2200 canadian. I bought it for $37k US. The car runs much better now and is worth it. I think it's a fair price if it's in above average condition. If it's in exceptional condition i.e. no rock chips in front, mint interior, no maintenance needed then its a good deal. My best advice is try to find a car with all the mods you want then buy it. Mods don't have any to low resale value. Good luck.

Dave

Not to mention it is a white car, which is a rare color.

I was looking last month @ a CTSC 2000 with less miles for almost the same cost in Sacramento CA. Here is the link to the item:

http://www.luxurymotorcars.biz/images/view/inventory.php

The car was due to have the water pump and timing belt done and to my understanding it was complete. However, they took TOOOOOO LONG to do all this and I moved along to purchase a CTSC 2002 2 weeks ago. The agreed upon price was $49K less any costs above $500.00 from the PPI. They seemed like pleasant people and I liked the dealer Colby where the car is on consigment.

I did not see this car in person, but had a relative drive the car and he thought it was worth pursuing. IMHO, I would sooner look at the car in CA
with over $20K in improvements 1 year newer, less miles, fully serviced and a difference of $4K.

See additional thread here on prime with a previous owner who is a prime member:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90376

My .02.

Did you do a car fax yet and a search on prime to see if there are any stories with this car ?

I have yet to do the CARFAX but the guy printed it out for me so according to him the car was originally bought / sold in Oregon and he is the 2nd owner of the said vehicle. Interior is in really good shape with very little bolster wear. I ran my fingers along the front black lip and there's only a few minor scratches (considering the car is lowered) that's not too bad.

No rock chips on the front end and everything seems to be in great shape paint wise. I really like the white color and the guy "seems" to be a real car nut with the car under a black spandex car cover when I arrived to see it.

Steve Allen: thanks for the links and tips - I've been to Luxury Motors a few times, they are in Dublin, CA right? I almost bought a White 2006 Gallardo SE from them until I found out the car was a "gray" market car. No wonder that price they had was well below what I thought they would ask. The 2000 white NSX you listed is super nice, I will give them a call to see if that car is still available.

thanks guys for all the input, I will update once I hear back from the seller!

regards,
rick

Luxury Motors is in Sacramento. The car is on consigment, but one of the former owners of the car is Colby who works at Luxury.

Good luck in your hunt.

Luxury Motors is in Sacramento. The car is on consigment, but one of the former owners of the car is Colby who works at Luxury.

Good luck in your hunt.

thanks steve - I just compared VIN numbers and the two cars are different ones....haha

Personally I prefer a car that has been un-molested in terms of modding. This guy is still thinking over my offer so we'll see.

It's either yellow or white nsx for me!

rick

To mod or not to mod is the question. In my case, I am only interested in enhancing where in my opinion it makes sense. I agree white and yellow are excellent choices. If I can help you further on the Sacramento car, please let me know and good luck.

To mod or not to mod is the question. In my case, I am only interested in enhancing where in my opinion it makes sense. I agree white and yellow are excellent choices. If I can help you further on the Sacramento car, please let me know and good luck.

Steve the other white 99 NSX I was looking at the owner has not gotten back to me as of today so I might revisit the Sac car you were telling me about though I did not really plan on getting a supercharged NSX.

How do you like your 2002 NSX? Is yours CTSC as well?

thanks
rick

I LOVE my 2002 CTSC NSX. I had an expectation as to how much I would enjoy the car and this is one of those rare occasions where my expectations have been exceeded.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

I LOVE my 2002 CTSC NSX. I had an expectation as to how much I would enjoy the car and this is one of those rare occasions where my expectations have been exceeded.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Steve,

ok actually I do have a few questions so here goes:

1) Do you ever find the interior a bit too dated with the fixed steering wheel, lousy radio or any of those other interior items that seem dated such as not having bluetooth, NAVI, etc?

(I know all these can be fixed using aftermarket parts but not sure if I want to add items to the car yet)

2) Is it fast enough with the supercharger to stay with exotics such as the turbo P-cars, F-cars or even a super sedan such as an E55 AMG?

3) Would you rather have this car supercharged or the new 997 GT3 (I'm getting one in november and debating what to do....)

4) Are you ever in the bay (San Jose) that you could perhaps give me a ride in your car? I'm curious how well the car handles around corners since people say the car is rather stiff and very stays very flat. Also curious how the pull is once in boost and under VTEC. I've been in a lot of high horsepower cars so just thinking if this NSX is something I'd like or need more speed.

I'd be happy to buy dinner or give you rides in any one of my toys so take your pick from a highly modded 400hp M3, CTSC s2000 or even my GT3 once I get it :)

ttyl
rick

Steve,

1) Do you ever find the interior a bit too dated with the fixed steering wheel, lousy radio or any of those other interior items that seem dated such as not having bluetooth, NAVI, etc?

(I know all these can be fixed using aftermarket parts but not sure if I want to add items to the car yet)

2) Is it fast enough with the supercharger to stay with exotics such as the turbo P-cars, F-cars or even a super sedan such as an E55 AMG?

3) Would you rather have this car supercharged or the new 997 GT3 (I'm getting one in november and debating what to do....)

4) Are you ever in the bay (San Jose) that you could perhaps give me a ride in your car? I'm curious how well the car handles around corners since people say the car is rather stiff and very stays very flat. Also curious how the pull is once in boost and under VTEC. I've been in a lot of high horsepower cars so just thinking if this NSX is something I'd like or need more speed.

I'd be happy to buy dinner or give you rides in any one of my toys so take your pick from a highly modded 400hp M3, CTSC s2000 or even my GT3 once I get it :)

ttyl
rick

Funny, I've been thinking these same things lately as I come up on pulling the trigger on either a 996 TT or a Comptech/Turbo Late Model NSX. Here are my findings.

1) I personally find the interior extremely dated, and this is probably one of the worst parts of the car IMHO. Having been in early models to the latest 05's, I've found the fit and finish to be great however the aesthetics to be dated. The ergonomics etc are all wonderful, I love the seating position and locations for things.

2) I've been in the high hp turbo NSX's back in the Gerry Johnson hay days, and those cars were definitely fast. However, a CTSC 3.2L NSX left much to be desired. Stock, it felt VERY slow and sluggish when compared to anything in the market today in this category. As far as comparisons to modified P-cars...that's a joke. Not even kidding it's not even close. F-cars, forget about it, and supersedans will own NSX's stock on the freeway at mid to high speeds. CT is a little bit better though.

3) I'd take a 997 GT3 all day over the NSX, and a GT3RS imho is a no brainer.

4) I'm not in the bay, nor do I own one but the caveat is that I've driven them and have had a long love affair with NSX's. That, and I've driven a turbo NSX as well as numerous CTSC NSX. Look at my join date, and also consider that I've been lurking since the beginning days of this site.

Some other general concerns I have are about exclusivity and rarity. One of the reasons I really wanted the car was because (a) I always wanted to and (b) because its rare.

I've been working in the Folsom area, and nearly every day I've seen at LEAST 1 or 2 nsx's a day. I know that doesn't sound like much but I mean this is every single day at varying times of the day. Some days I've seen almost 5 NSX's in one day (a mix of early and late models). Also consider that as the price decreases, the market demographic that will own the car will get younger and younger...that's something that bothers me b/c I don't want to see my "weekend car" all over the place (high schools etc) and it's already happenning.

DESPITE all the apparent negativity towards the NSX, there is something intoxicating about it that NONE of my friends or family understands. Almost everyone just says "why would you get an ACURA over a Porsche?" The marquee is not a big deal to me, but owning something special is. Even if I get a P-car or F-car before the NSX, someday I do intend to own one just because the itch won't leave me until I do.

Don't be surprised if I get one before those two either, because I seriously love the car, despite it's inability IMHO to "hang" performance wise. The exhaust note when modified is killer, and the looks and stance appeal to me immensely. I do plan on modifying mine with a very European theme..low stance etc, forged wheels etc....so I'm still unsure what to do. Don't think of me as a hypocrite, rather as an informed enthusiast. I'm not a fan-boy, but I love the car. I've been on NSX prime for years and that should be testament to my affair for the vehicle...

Thanks, hope that helps.
Ravi:cool:

Rick,
Get the NSX. :smile:

Ravi,
Get the NSX. :smile:

Trust me; "You meet the nicest people in a Honda". :biggrin:

Steve,

ttyl
rick

See my replies in CAPS next to your questions

1) Do you ever find the interior a bit too dated with the fixed steering wheel, lousy radio or any of those other interior items that seem dated such as not having bluetooth, NAVI, etc? NO, I DO NOT FOCUS ON WHAT I DO NOT HAVE, BUT WHAT I DO HAVE. I DO NOT EXPECT PERFECTION FROM ANYTHING IN LIFE AND ADJUST LIFE TO WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO ME.

2) Is it fast enough with the supercharger to stay with exotics such as the turbo P-cars, F-cars or even a super sedan such as an E55 AMG? I HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING I AM NOT RACING THESE CARS, NOR WILL I BE.

3) Would you rather have this car supercharged or the new 997 GT3 (I'm getting one in november and debating what to do....) TO BE PERFECTLY BLUNT I CAN AFFORD ANY CAR, PRICE IS NOT AN ISSUE AND THIS IS THE CAR I WANTED HANDS DOWN.

4) Are you ever in the bay (San Jose) that you could perhaps give me a ride in your car? I'm curious how well the car handles around corners since people say the car is rather stiff and very stays very flat. Also curious how the pull is once in boost and under VTEC. I've been in a lot of high horsepower cars so just thinking if this NSX is something I'd like or need more speed. I LIVED IN SJ FOR 20 YEARS AND THAT WAS PLENTY FOR ME. NO, I NEVER MAKE IT TO SJ AND WOULD NOT DRIVE MY NSX MORE THEN AROUND TOWN. IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVING A CAR LIKE MINE TEST DRIVE THE ONE IN SACRAMENTO THAT IS FOR SALE.

DESPITE all the apparent negativity towards the NSX, there is something intoxicating about it that NONE of my friends or family understands. Almost everyone just says "why would you get an ACURA over a Porsche?" The marquee is not a big deal to me, but owning something special is. Even if I get a P-car or F-car before the NSX, someday I do intend to own one just because the itch won't leave me until I do.

Don't be surprised if I get one before those two either, because I seriously love the car, despite it's inability IMHO to "hang" performance wise. The exhaust note when modified is killer, and the looks and stance appeal to me immensely. I do plan on modifying mine with a very European theme..low stance etc, forged wheels etc....so I'm still unsure what to do. Don't think of me as a hypocrite, rather as an informed enthusiast. I'm not a fan-boy, but I love the car. I've been on NSX prime for years and that should be testament to my affair for the vehicle...

Thanks, hope that helps.
Ravi:cool:

In life, you have to ask yourself why you want to do anything. Are you buying a car for you or others around you. If you want to purely impress buy an italian exotic. However, if you want a car which blends the beauty and performance of an italian exotic with the functionality of a Honda then buy
an NSX.

Not sure what negativity you are referring to, but your second paragraph was more on target to me.

Rick, good luck with your purchase...

Mickey, I hope to join your ranks soon ;)

Steven, I appreciate the discourse and congratulate you on your purchase. As far as negativity is concerned, I was referring to the "negatives" that I brought up in answering Rick's questions. I do things for me but my criteria for my car's "function" may be different than yours, that's all. This could be for any myriad of reasons, (age, location, outlook, etc). I have no one to impress, but I'd be surprised if anyone around here would want this car's production numbers to be the same as a Honda Civic.

Exclusivity matters, done deal.

Thanks and again welcome,
Ravi

We agree with 200+ untits a year for 16 year period I think exclusivity is a given.

Well update, I'm back to the drawing boards - I was looking at a few private party deals on 98-02 NSX's and so far none has panned out....

I have cash and ready to make a deal on a white > orange > yellow NSX!

Saw this highly modded 02 yellow one in LA but he wants $75k for it which I think is way too high?

the 99 white nsx I had my eye on he won't budge from 44k and I think that is too much for that year and condition.

If you guys know someone selling an NSX in one of those colors I listed above (light mods ok) please have them contact me ASAP!

[email protected]

thanks,
rick

Steve, I have not had time to drive to SAC to check out this car but honestly not too keen on buyin a car that has already been heavily modded like this one.

Prefer a simple stock car that has been untouched since I never trust what others tell you about the car's history. I'm sure a CTSC'd car has lived a much rougher life than a normal car.

I made an offer for the 1999 bone stock car and he's still thinking over my offer....which I think is very fair and local to me.

rick

Reason I asked was your comment looked at another car that had mods, but the price was too high.

Reason I asked was your comment looked at another car that had mods, but the price was too high.

Sorry for the confusion, the white car is stock in terms of wheels, no supercharger but does have Comptech springs and exhaust/headers. Those mods are ok with me but I'm just hesitant when it's got too much stuff since it leads me to believe that other people have driven the car hard.

rick

Not that it matters to me, but I do not think this car was driven too hard and is an excellent value for the year, mileage and improvements done to the car.

Back